PDA

View Full Version : As a Spurs fan...do you feel that the Lakers are a threat?

adidas11
11-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Another win for us tonight. So far, I'm fairly happy with how things are going on our end this season. Not great, but we're playing .700 ball (although with a favorable schedule)

But as a fan, I see some good potential with this team. But I sometimes wonder how other team's fans think. Does anyone here 'worry' about the Lakers this season? Do you see them as a threat to the Spurs chances?

Discuss.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
For a second I thought it was 2002!

;)

just kidding

but, I don't see them as a threat at all, but I also don't see them as an "automatic win" when we play them. I mean bowen usually does well against kobe, and with kobe being slightly hurt this season, I think we should be OK. I actually worry more about Lamar Odom. It'll be interesting to see how bynum does against our front line.

Having said all that, if I'm a lakers fan, I like where this team is headed.

E20
11-22-2006, 01:25 AM
No, because Kobe is playing mediocore right now averaging 22 points, except for today's game against the Clippers. Lamar Odom is playing better as of late, maybe due to Kobe's injuries, but I expect as Kobe takes more shots he'll get his regular 30 points and Odom will go back down to 15 or something like that, with the occasional breakout game.

Now we just have Kobe who will average like 30 something points, but against Bowen's defense who knows. I'd expect Elson on Odom, but if he gets hot switch him on Bowen. Then you have the rest of the Lakers against the Spurs which contain Tim Duncan(No Answer For), Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker(No Answer For). The Spurs astitute team defense on the rest of the Laker's players will have them struggling, and we'll have Kobe score like 45 and the final score would be like 97 to 83 Spurs win.

Oh yeah, but the Lakers look better than the Mavs and Heat and I'd root for the Lakers before I'd root for the Mavs.

Man In Black
11-22-2006, 01:27 AM
They are the Lakers, but they're not THOSE LAKERS that we've hated in the past. It's a different team with a way different mix of talent(save Kobe). Even Kobe has to adjust and until he gets bigs to dominate the boards, then the Lakers will hard pressed to win 4 out of 7 from the Spurs.

Buddy Holly
11-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Pretty damn easy question to answer.

No.

T Park
11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Did they get someone worth a shit outside of Odom and Kobe?

Viva Las Espuelas
11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
i'd be interested to see what bynum does against fab or elson. i'd go with elson to do a better job on him.

Solid D
11-22-2006, 02:16 AM
The Lakers are a much better team this year. Emphasis on "team". The Spurs and other Western Conference foes should take them seriously.

phyzik
11-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Lakers are going the way of the Celtics...... live with it....

I have no doubt it will eventually happen to the Spurs but Lakers are done NOW. Kobe's skills are going to go to waste just like that wanna-be-Tim-Duncan Kevin Garnett for the Timberpuppies.

Sense
11-22-2006, 03:00 AM
The Lakers are an ok team....

Surely they can be dangerous during the season... a game might go their way if we play em soon..

But the truth is they'll never get far where it matters... playoffs.

Condemned 2 HelLA
11-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Nope.
The Lakers will always ultimately rely on Kobe to put them on his back and get them a win.
Now, if he's out of the line-up and a team under-estimates them, the Lakers can sneak out a win against any good team in the league, but when he's on the floor, the other 4 guys essentially turn into statues, standing there waiting for Kobe to do his thing.
Odom's over-rated, Bynum is still too young and raw, Walton will never be half the player his dad was, Smush isn't going to really hurt anyone and the bench is essentially nothing more than shooters.
As long as the Spurs play their style of basketaball and don't get lured into a false sense of security of thinking that the game is all but won when they match up, there's no way the Lakers beat them.

SilverPlayer
11-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Kobe is capable of putting together at anytime a performance that will take over any game. That makes the Lakers a dangerous team; however the odds of that happening 4 out of 7 games with Bowen guarding him, are not so good. I would worry about the Lakers against any team but the spurs. The Spurs have right now a way of shifting the odds over a seven game series to their side.

LA24
11-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Another win for us tonight. So far, I'm fairly happy with how things are going on our end this season. Not great, but we're playing .700 ball (although with a favorable schedule)

But as a fan, I see some good potential with this team. But I sometimes wonder how other team's fans think. Does anyone here 'worry' about the Lakers this season? Do you see them as a threat to the Spurs chances?

Discuss.

8-3...big wow. :rolleyes

Of course the spurs don't see the Lakers as threats. Do you even need to ask ?

Sorry...your post just sounds like you're gloating over a few wins by the Lakers so far. Too early my friend.

SKINNYPIMP210
11-22-2006, 07:27 AM
The Lakers are a much better team this year. Emphasis on "team". The Spurs and other Western Conference foes should take them seriously.

YEAH I AGREE WITH SOLID D. WE'RE 1 LOSE AWAY FROM HAVING THE SAME RECORD AS THEM. I JUST THINK WE SHOULD TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY.

Louie Vega
11-22-2006, 07:33 AM
.................Does anyone here 'worry' about the Lakers this season? Do you see them as a threat to the Spurs chances?Discuss.

:lol :dizzy :nope :flag: :nutkick: :frying: :rollin :lmao

SpursIndonesia
11-22-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm more optimistic if the road Spurs show up rather than the home one.

AFBlue
11-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Kobe is capable of putting together at anytime a performance that will take over any game. That makes the Lakers a dangerous team; however the odds of that happening 4 out of 7 games with Bowen guarding him, are not so good. I would worry about the Lakers against any team but the spurs. The Spurs have right now a way of shifting the odds over a seven game series to their side.

Pretty much agree here. The Lakers are a dangerous offensive team because Kobe is a dangerous offensive player, but the odds are stacked against them when they play a legit championship contender in a playoff series because of the obvious holes in their roster.

Lakers have done a good job so far though, and part of that success w/o Kobe, which is a good sign.

Texas_Ranger
11-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Nope. :nope

MI21
11-22-2006, 08:14 AM
On a singular game type matchup, certainly. In a 7 game series, nope.

Obviously Kobe can go off at any time, and Odom is one of those nightmare matchups for the Spurs. He has had plenty of good games against the Spurs over the years, but that is about all there is to worry about. The lack of a good PG and good bigman rotation is there downfall. Bynum is very good but at his age you just can't expect him to have to much of an impact against a frontline with Tim Duncan in it. Kwame, Cook etc are all average at best. Also, as a team, LA aren't very good defensively.

They should win 50 though, and they could cause upsets in the playoffs.

twincam
11-22-2006, 09:20 AM

Discuss.

Honestly and respectfully, the Lakers are not a threat. Sure they have young talent, but they don't have the overall chemistry to win it. I see them winning MAYBE 50-games, but not more than that. They will be a good 1st round team to play, but they will not advance past that. They need more time to get where they NEED to be. Bryant cannnot win it all by himself, I don't care if he scores 50+ points a game. That is still nowhere near the NBA average in points per game in overall team scoring at the final buzzer. They (Lakers) NEED consistency scoring from their supporting cast.

1Parker1
11-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I've actually seen a few Lakers games this season (since they always seem to be playing on National TV) and I agree that they're a better team than last year...primarily because of the emergence of Andrew Bynum (who really impressed me), Odom's complete game, and Kobe's team first motto (though I still think that he needs to shoot a little more and quit playing so passively). Add to that role players who have the potential to come up big at any moment...Walton, Turiaf, Smush, etc. I'd say Lakers are a solid team.

In no way would I guarantee a win against them in the regular season, but I still think the Spurs could beat them in a 7 game series. They have the potential to make it to the third round, but I still see them as a second round exit...mainly because there are so many good teams in the West this year.

himat
11-22-2006, 09:42 AM
They are a threat because they have Kobe. Lakers will need more people to step up if they really want to be a threat for the West. They are too one dimensional right now.

coz
11-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I still hate them, which means they're good enough to deserve hate.

tsb2000
11-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Any group coached by Phil Jackson is a threat. Since the Spurs have been in the Western Conference,the primary rival will always be the Los Angeles Lakers. :ihit

boutons_
11-22-2006, 10:00 AM
If Bynum gets better, he certainly has great base to start with and could grow into a real impact player next to Kobe and Lamar.

hitmanyr2k
11-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Do the Lakers ever play a road game? It seems everytime I see them on TV or the highlights they're playing at home. It's better to guage how good they are when they go on one of those long, brutal road trips.

Edit: And that long road trip isn't coming for awhile. The way LA's schedule is set up they should have gotten off to a good start. 8 of their first 11 games were at home. And then 7 of their next 9 games are at home as well.

December 10th - 13th they're going to find out a lot about themselves when they have to through the Texas triangle to face the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets. And then December 19th - 29th is their first real road trip....6 games through the East coast. So it seems November should be a cakewalk and December should be the test to see where they really are.

twincam
11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
amen

hitmanyr2k
11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
And now that I think about it one of those "road" games is against the Clippers so technically the Lakers are still playing at home in Staples. That mean's 8 out of their next 9 games are at home. Imagine that. Constantly sleeping in your own bed, practicing everyday in your own gym. It's easy for a team to get in a comfort zone with a cupcake schedule like that. I won't be sold on LA until they go through December.

nkdlunch
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
after the way last playoffs were refereed, anything is possible

Phenomanul
11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
hitmanyr2k,

Have you found enough new material for another Manu highlight reel??? Or do you feel you need a couple more months in order to fill up a chest of higher caliber - Ginobiliesque plays?

adidas11
11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Agreed. The Lakers do have a cushy home-heavy schedule at the moment, which has certainly contributed to their good start this season. Like other posters have said, the true lithmus test will be when they are on an extended road trip.

But I do like what I see in my team so far. Good ball movement, great backdoor cuts that are being fed from the triangle, Odom stepping up, Bynum playing a lot better than I ever expected, etc. Now do I think they're championship contenders? No, of course not. But I do think they have the potential to upset a team or two in the playoffs this season. And I think that if they can solidify their stance on the defensive end, they could even pull an upset of teams like the Spurs and Mavericks. More chemistry development and more confidence is needed before that can happen, but at least its a possibility.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM

What he said.

It's better for the Lakers if Kobe doesn't score 40 every night, but gets the team involved.

remingtonbo2001
11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
If KG is shipped to LA, possibly for Odom, or whomever, then maybe, well, no, I still wouldn't be scared. We have Tim Duncan. Oh yeah, and he's healthy (knock on wood).

hitmanyr2k
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
hitmanyr2k,

Have you found enough new material for another Manu highlight reel??? Or do you feel you need a couple more months in order to fill up a chest of higher caliber - Ginobiliesque plays?

It's never really about having enough material. The problem for me is finding a song. It's not easy finding a song for his style of play.

I had a Spurs championship video planned for 2006 (already have the music for that) but then they lost so now that's on ice until they win it this year.

wildbill2u
11-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Are they a major threat on paper? Probably not since they are rebuilding.

Could they make a major trade move? They have that ability to attract good players and could afford it. That would upset the odds of them being championship caliber.

They'll probably make the playoffs. Doesn't everybody? And on any given night or series could be a problem...but the odds aren't with them.

Man In Black
11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Do the Lakers ever play a road game? It seems everytime I see them on TV or the highlights they're playing at home. It's better to guage how good they are when they go on one of those long, brutal road trips.

Edit: And that long road trip isn't coming for awhile. The way LA's schedule is set up they should have gotten off to a good start. 8 of their first 11 games were at home. And then 7 of their next 9 games are at home as well.

December 10th - 13th they're going to find out a lot about themselves when they have to through the Texas triangle to face the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets. And then December 19th - 29th is their first real road trip....6 games through the East coast. So it seems November should be a cakewalk and December should be the test to see where they really are.

BINGO!!!

Phenomanul
11-22-2006, 01:57 PM
It's never really about having enough material. The problem for me is finding a song. It's not easy finding a song for his style of play.

I had a Spurs championship video planned for 2006 (already have the music for that) but then they lost so now that's on ice until they win it this year.

OK, thanks....

I'll try to look for one....

dallasmavsnfuego214
11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
lakers at Staples are always dangerous. on the road, not so much

adidas11
11-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Ok, to take this discussion one step further, can anyone lay out with position by position matchup analysis (including bench and coaching staff) why they either feel that the Lakers could NOT threaten the Spurs in a 7 game playoff series, or that they CAN threaten the Spurs?

Continue Discussion.

dallasmavsnfuego214
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
i feel like im in one of those brainstorming English assignments again

Trainwreck2100
11-22-2006, 03:34 PM
not enough d, Duncan will torch anyobody and Manu smoked them when he was a rookie. Plus they don't have a PG.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-22-2006, 03:59 PM
No.

jinglejangle
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Lakers always seem to fire up towards the end of the year.
I can't seem them as a serious threat though considering their bench is pretty much non-existent at the moment.

Medvedenko
11-22-2006, 04:45 PM
They'll beat the spurs at least twice in the reg season.
Are they a threat in the playoffs, injuries aside, if they had Mihm, Bynum and Brown all healthy come playoffs, they will make noise. Kobe and Odom are on the same page, another year of triangle experience....still they need to shop Smush Parker...I hate that guy.

johngateswhiteley
11-22-2006, 04:46 PM

Discuss.

no...and its not even close.

Medvedenko
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Why isn't it close...you guys lost to the Bobcats....anything can happen. Manu had what 1 good game this season and it's not even close.....please.

johngateswhiteley
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Why isn't it close...you guys lost to the Bobcats....anything can happen. Manu had what 1 good game this season and it's not even close.....please.

(why am i responding to this) all that matters is the playoffs and, no its not close, the Spurs would dispose of the lakers rather quickly in a 7 game series. i don't care if the lakers are capable of beating us once or twice...thats irrelevant. and to bring up the bobcats...thats just foolish.

Medvedenko
11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Foolish eh...well I didn't say we could win against the "mighty" spurs in a playoff series did I....

johngateswhiteley
11-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Foolish eh...well I didn't say we could win against the "mighty" spurs in a playoff series did I....

it was posed, if they were a threat or not...they are not.

Medvedenko
11-22-2006, 05:26 PM
If the bobcats can beat the spurs...then every team is a threat.

1Parker1
11-22-2006, 06:30 PM
December 10th - 13th they're going to find out a lot about themselves when they have to through the Texas triangle to face the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets.

I think that's like the 2nd or 3rd team I know of that has to go through the Texas Triangle in a 3-4 game stretch on their schedule. I know Chicago just did that too. If I weren't a Spurs fan, I'd think that was very unfair...Mavs, Spurs, Rockets one after the other on the road is a tough stretch for any team to win in a row.

Oh well. :lol

LakeShow
11-22-2006, 07:37 PM

I don't see why not. Phil wanted to play the spurs last season and was pretty confident. Kwame has turned into a very good low post defender and he played Duncan well toward the end of the year last seasont. If Bynum continues to develop at the rate that he is showing now. The sky could be the limit.

I think it's way too early to say, but no disrespect to Spurs fans but the Spurs are not invincible. Every team that makes the playoffs should be considered a threat. I think this question would have been more appropriate for the Heat or Mavs. They have the WCF and the NBA title. The Spurs have what we have, NOTHING!

samikeyp
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
but the Spurs are not invincible.

No one is.