PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 02:34 AM
I'd just like to give the creators of this software a big middle finger.

Auto-update ran this afternoon and downloaded IE7 and now my laptop won't get past the boot screen.

Just fucking great.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 02:40 AM
That blows, whats the last screen that comes up? Can you get into it with safe mode? And change any auto update settings that allow it to download something as big and unnecessary as IE7.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 02:42 AM
I get the screen to choose a boot configuration (Safe, Safe w/Networking, Safe w/Command, Last Known Good and Normal).

If I try any of the Safe Mode options, it hangs at gagp30kx.sys and stops.

I can't even get it to boot off of my Windows CD.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 03:16 AM
I don't think it's specifically IE7, but rather an update done with regards to that install. Okay whatever, but I can't even get the laptop to boot off my Windows CD so that I can attempt to recover the broken file (shit, I'd be happy with a full format ATM).

Burn531
11-22-2006, 03:29 AM
I d/l the beta version during the summer and hated it.

The new Firefox is nice.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 03:30 AM
I d/l the beta version during the summer and hated it.

The new Firefox is nice.

Good to know. Thank you.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Can you do a repair option from your Windows CD?

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 03:35 AM
Can you get to your bios to change the boot order so that it boots off of your CD Rom instead of the hard drive?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 03:36 AM
I've tried changing the boot order to CD and it won't boot up. I even hooked up my external DVD writer and tried to boot off that to no avail.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 03:41 AM
And moving four times this year is not helping me remember where my recovery DVD is.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 04:27 AM
can you boot to a command prompt?

ducks
11-22-2006, 08:35 AM
command prompt
chkdsk /r

ducks
11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I get the screen to choose a boot configuration (Safe, Safe w/Networking, Safe w/Command, Last Known Good and Normal).

If I try any of the Safe Mode options, it hangs at gagp30kx.sys and stops.

I can't even get it to boot off of my Windows CD.

do you know how to set it up to boot it off cd before harddrive?
what brand is it?
some brands you hit esc
others you have to go to the bios and cahnge it to boot off cd first :fro

ducks
11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I'd just like to give the creators of this software a big middle finger.

Auto-update ran this afternoon and downloaded IE7 and now my laptop won't get past the boot screen.

Just fucking great.

fly me to see a spurs game and I will fix it for free :fro

ducks
11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I've tried changing the boot order to CD and it won't boot up. I even hooked up my external DVD writer and tried to boot off that to no avail.

is the windows cd sctrached?
take a damp cloth and clean it off

ducks
11-22-2006, 08:50 AM

do what one of my customers do
take the harddrive out and throw it in the trash :downspin:

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 11:10 AM
do you know how to set it up to boot it off cd before harddrive?
what brand is it?
some brands you hit esc
others you have to go to the bios and cahnge it to boot off cd first :fro

Yeah. When I start it up, I have to hit ESC to enter the bios setup. Once there, I've switched it to CD-ROM, Removable Devices, Hard Drive in the boot sequence. When I save the changes, I can hear the CD spinning, but it doesn't boot into it (I will try to clean the disc to see if that's the problem).

As far as booting into a command prompt, trying the safe mode route is not working (I keep ending up getting caught up at gagp30kx.sys).

I think there's a way I can bring the command prompt up myself, but I can't remember how.

So basically, here's how it happens when I turn the laptop on.

It comes up with the "Windows couldn't start correctly - choose one" and it gives me Safe, Safe w/Networking, Safe w/Command Prompt, Last Known Good Config and Start Windows Normally. If I try Safe, Last and Normally, it goes to the boot screen with the scrolling bar and just sits there scrolling (I can even hear the hard drive slow down) until I turn it off manually. If I try the Safe w/N and Safe w/CP, it starts listing the files loading and stops at gagp30kx.sys.

If I hit F8 right after I push the power button, I get a few extra options. This is what I get.

http://www.colby-sawyer.edu/images/image_7112.gif

If I try those (boot to VGA, etc.), I get the same results as above.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Okay. Now it's just hanging at the manufacturer boot screen (it's an eMachines laptop - M6809).

I hit DEL to enter the bios setup and it just says "Please Wait."

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Okay. Now it's just hanging at the manufacturer boot screen (it's an eMachines laptop - M6809).

I hit DEL to enter the bios setup and it just says "Please Wait."

Alright, I got past that, but still the same issues as in my previous posts.

TheSanityAnnex
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
:nope IE

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
:nope IE

I know, I know...it was a Windows Update that did it.

I use Firefox except for two Web sites that don't work right in FF, but do in IE.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:30 PM
This Live Chat guy from eMachines is decent, but not understanding that I CAN'T BOOT FROM THE CD AT ALL.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Great. NOW it's giving me the boot from CD option.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm trying to repair it now.

Please, please, please work.

leemajors
11-22-2006, 12:39 PM
i always went with download updates and notify me before installing.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
i always went with download updates and notify me before installing.

Oh, I chose to install it (I do the same way you do). I had just never had a major issue like this before, so figured the update was solid.

leemajors
11-22-2006, 12:42 PM
damn that sucks. i don't think i have installed ie7.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Hmmm, I repaired the installation, but now it's at the Installing Windows screen.

It didn't say it was formatting it.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
It won't format with a installation repair. It just copies files back over in case one was corrupted. At least now that you can boot from your CDROM you can do a complete reinstall if you have to. Just cross your fingers that its not hardware.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't think it formatted the computer (which would be great) because the install screen has the resolution of my laptop from before it went through all this (it's a widescreen).

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:50 PM
It won't format with a installation repair. It just copies files back over in case one was corrupted. At least now that you can boot from your CDROM you can do a complete reinstall if you have to. Just cross your fingers that its not hardware.

I know. I still have eMachines extended warranty on it (very good investment, BTW...have used it once before and they had it back quickly - the service center is in Houston).

It seems to be working correctly. I was asked to confirm modem settings plus it prompted me about my graphics driver (Radeon Omega) which I have to re-download if it formats.

Seriously, my biggest concern right now is having a working laptop so I can file from Alamo Stadium Saturday night.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
:lol

As much as you've helped me out recently, should yours die you can use mine. If you've gotten that far you should be ok though.

Good 'N Plenty
11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Did you call customer service and get some idiot who gave you 4 different answers to the same question?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Did you call customer service and get some idiot who gave you 4 different answers to the same question?

Actually, the eMachines Live Chat guy was kind of helpful (and he did - however it happened - solved the not booting from CD problem), but it kind of took me throwing it right at him that even though I had mentioned time and again it wouldn't boot from the CD, that it wouldn't boot from the CD.

Once we fixed that, I got to the point I am now.

Oh, and many thanks, Manny. BTW, I might have to pick you up at about 1:30 now instead of earlier.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 01:06 PM
More Madden or Poker playing for me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
This might just be me overreacting (hell, it probably is), but while the five little green dots are cycling, I don't hear the hard drive or the CD spinning and it's been saying "Setup will complete in approximately 13 minutes" for a few minutes now.

My wireless is on though. :dizzy

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, just might have to do a damn format instead.

Fuck, fuck, fuckity-fuck.

nkdlunch
11-22-2006, 01:59 PM
ie7 sucks. as soon as I installed my pc got infected w/shit.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, following my format...guess what happened AGAIN?

chickenfried
11-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Well, following my format...guess what happened AGAIN?
Turn off automatic update!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Turn off automatic update!

Well, after researching it a lot yesterday and today, it seems like this might be a precursor to a bad HD coupled with a bad set of files in SP2 (although I had SP2 for awhile before yesterday with no problems).

I couldn't get the CD to catch again for a long while until a couple of minutes ago, so I'm going to format it again (since all I had done was updates and downloading some software I normally use) just so I can have it this weekend for work.

But I've already set it up for warranty work to be done, so hopefully, I can prove there are impending problems with the HD and get it replaced. At least when I get it back, I can finally (hopefully) be finished with this.

MannyIsGod
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Automatic update isn't an issue. There is something wrong with your hardware if you just did a format and are still have issues.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Automatic update isn't an issue. There is something wrong with your hardware if you just did a format and are still have issues.

The rep this time was thinking it had to do with SP2 (again, I had it for a long while before this started), but from reading other people's comments about this same issue, it seems as though this might be a reaction to a failing HD.

Once I get this up and running again, I'm going to run some diagnostics to find out for sure.

SequSpur
11-24-2006, 12:04 AM
you need a new hard drive.

MannyIsGod
11-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Its not service pack 2. The rep that told you that is a complete idiot. If that notebook had an issue with SP2, wtf are they shipping them out with? Every PC built in the last 3 years at least has XP SP2 installed on it out of the factory unless it has XP Media Center. Be happy you have that warranty coverage, you're going to need it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, whatever makes them fix it is okay for me.

Like I said before, the warranty service has been very good and very fast, so I will use it until I can't anymore. If them thinking it's SP2 gets it going, so be it.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Did your reinstall IE7?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Did your reinstall IE7?

No. The computer had the same problem again today, there's got to be some hardware problems.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
This is a risk you take when you buy direct from Uncle Who Makes The Chips.

MannyIsGod
11-24-2006, 04:08 PM
This is a risk you take when you buy direct from Uncle Who Makes The Chips.:lmao