PDA

View Full Version : Nomar might play 2nd base with Yankees

Jimcs50
11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Nomar has 2nd thoughts

BY ANTHONY McCARRON
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Could Nomar Garciaparra end up in pinstripes next year?

All-star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra has told friends he would be open to a position change to either second base or third, which could open the way for the Yankees to pursue the free agent as a second baseman.
The Yankees' top offseason priority is improving their starting pitching, but if they signed Garciaparra to play second, they would have all of the famed "three shortstops" playing in the same infield - Garciaparra at second, Alex Rodriguez at third and Derek Jeter, who won his first Gold Glove yesterday, at short.

"Obviously, his preference is short, but he's open to third or second," a friend of Garciaparra's said. "He could play either one and he'd be happy to play either one. He's comfortable playing any of those positions.

"That would be something, wouldn't it, the holy trinity of shortstops on the same team?"

Yanks GM Brian Cashman said he would not comment on specific players, but noted that the Yankees are "open to any concept that makes us better. We're in the information-gathering stage right now."

The Yankees will evaluate incumbent Miguel Cairo, who won the job last season after starting the year in a platoon with Enrique Wilson, before looking at other possibilities, Cashman said.

"We like what Miguel Cairo did for us," Cashman said. "We'll review him first and then assess the rest of the market. It's too early for us to target anyone specifically.

"We're not in any big rush here. We have decisions to make, but not many for a 101-win team."

Cashman refused to say whether he had talked to Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem. Tellem did not return a call to his California office.

Garciaparra, 31, hit .308 with nine homers and 41 RBI in an injury-plagued season last year with the Red Sox and Cubs. He is a two-time AL batting champ (1999-2000) and has knocked in 104 or more runs four times.

He was dealt from Boston to Chicago in a four-team swap at the trading deadline, ending a difficult period in which he was hurt when the Sox went after A-Rod and suffered injuries to his Achilles tendon, left wrist and groin. Without him, the Sox, went on to win the World Series for the first time since 1918.

The friend said Garciaparra would have no trouble playing in New York or making a position change. "Given all he's been through, I don't think he'd have a problem dealing with anything," the friend said.

Originally published on November 3, 2004

Jimcs50
11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
That would be one expensive infield.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2004, 05:56 PM
It's a sickening thought -- how interesting the baseball season will be when the Yankees $300 million payroll buys them a lineup that looks like this:

1. Derek Jeter, SS
2. Nomar Garciaparra, 2B
3. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
4. Carlos Beltran, CF
5. Gary Sheffield, RF
6. Hideki Matsui, LF
7. Jason Giambi, DH
8. Jorge Posada, C
9. John Olerud, 1B

with that lineup, it wouldn't matter who they trot out on the mound every night. . . .

woo-hoo.

Spurminator
11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I would think that too... but that has been the sentiment for the past few seasons.

atlfan25
11-03-2004, 10:26 PM
that's not gonna happen, this is just a stupid writer speculating. garciaparra would be better at third, and thats a good fit in a place like san diego or la or he doens't re-up with the cubs. cuz he knows he'd have to switch positions if he went elsewhere cuz of the defensive wizardry of izturis in la and kahlil greene in san diego.

FromWayDowntown
11-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh, I agree that it's unlikely, but that the idea is even within the realm of possibility is a sad comment on the state of baseball's competitiveness.

dcole50
11-04-2004, 07:26 PM
The thought is disturbing to me as a guy who hates the Yanks and like Nomar. I think he'll resign with the Cubs, despite the fact that things appear to be a mess there right now. But who knows ..

Duff McCartney
11-04-2004, 08:13 PM
I think the Yankees should sign Beltran, the Big Unit, and another top starting pitcher. I think the entire pitching lineup would improve with two 1-2 starting pitchers. Mussina as the 3rd pitcher would be awesome.

dcole50
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM
I think they'll get Beltran. No one will (or will be able to) throw the same kind of money at him that New York will. The Big Unit is questionable. It all depends on what they can give Arizona in return.

JFK
11-05-2004, 06:32 PM
The yankees should get some Arms in the offseason, hell big bats can't win it especially when they get shut down by a guy like Schilling. Pitching wins big games and titles, and they simply don't have it. George will get Beltran simply cause he's a "Trophy" big name big dollar player out there only the Yanks can sign and probably will to replace the aging Legend Bernie Williams.

I would love to see Beltran back with Houston as they were so close and had they had Andy Pettitte i think they go to the series and certainly put up more of a fight than the Frauds and fakes that were the St. Louis Cardinals.