PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Bowen has eye on highlight film, Wade's dunk

Manu20
11-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Spurs notebook: Bowen has eye on highlight film, Wade's dunk

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112306.05C.BKNspurs.notebook.30ed547.html

Web Posted: 11/22/2006 10:50 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs' 106-86 victory over the Heat on Wednesday night was televised by ESPN, which has never seen a dunk it didn't like. Thus, Bruce Bowen departed the AT&T Center certain Dwyane Wade's power dunk over him with 3:45 left in the first quarter would wind up on "Sports Center."

Never mind that Bowen's defense had forced misses on Wade's first five shots and forced one of his five turnovers for the game. The dunk would be a lasting memory on videotape.

What the replay of the dunk showed was that Bowen, a first-team All-Defensive selection the past three seasons, had stayed right with Wade on his way to the basket. Wade, however, elevated over Bowen and completed the slam.

"I wasn't surprised at all," said Bowen. "He has that kind of athleticism, and I had just been called for a foul, so I had to give him some room."

The defensive ace didn't give Wade as much room most of the game, limiting him to 18 points.

Revolving door: The Spurs' inactive list isn't a list as much as a revolving door. Jackie Butler was in uniform for the first time this season one game after Eric Williams made his first appearance. Popovich said he will continue to rotate Butler, Williams and Jacque Vaughn on a game-by-game basis.

"I've made it simple, so even I can understand it," Popovich said. "They're just going to alternate.

"I'm just trying to show them a little light at the end of the tunnel, so the same guys aren't sitting there every night. None of them are playing, so why not let someone get in a uniform? So if there's some garbage time or if somebody does get hurt or for some reason if a guy gets in, maybe he shows something."

Rookie guard James White, Popovich said, won't be in the rotation.

"He's too young," Popovich said, laughing. "He deserves no respect whatsoever."

Until Monday, Vaughn had never been on the inactive roster in his 10-year career. After Popovich told him before the game he was making the switch, Vaughn needed to borrow the team's community sports jacket to meet the dress-code requirements.

Flight problems: The Spurs didn't arrive home from Portland until 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, more than six hours later than they were expected to land.

The team stayed Monday night in Portland after its victory — as it usually does following West Coast games — and was supposed to take off at 10 a.m. But after boarding the bus to the airport, the Spurs were notified their chartered jet was having mechanical problems.

The team checked back into the hotel and wasn't informed until 3:30 p.m. the plane had been fixed. The Spurs then had an hour-long drive to the airport in rush-hour traffic.

Heat's Williams inactive: Miami point guard Jason Williams, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee July 21 and missed the first seven games of the season, was back on the inactive list after experiencing pain and stiffness in the knee following the Heat's loss to the Hornets on Tuesday.

Williams played 22 minutes in Oklahoma City. He said he knew something was wrong in the knee when he nearly was caught from behind on a breakaway layup.

"I was trying to run as fast as I could, but it looked like I was in a fog," Williams said.

milkyway21
11-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Rookie guard James White, Popovich said, won't be in the rotation.

"He's too young," Popovich said, laughing. "He deserves no respect whatsoever."

what exactly Pops mean by that? ohh, maybe he signed White for the All-Star dunk contest?

okay i get it now :lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2006, 01:21 AM
pop :(

bdictjames
11-23-2006, 12:46 PM
So that's why our team is old.. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2006, 01:07 PM
is bowen goin to recieved any proceeds from bein on a poster? :D

Sam
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
what exactly Pops mean by that? ohh, maybe he signed White for the All-Star dunk contest?

okay i get it now :lol

White's not getting the system. Yeah he's athletic as hell but he can't focus long enough to get where he's supposed to be on the defensive rotations and run the plays on offense.