PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Butler Thread?

PM5K
11-23-2006, 05:39 AM
I know it's in the Miami Heat thread, but maybe it's worth a seperate thread for discussion.

Butler didn't seem to put much effort in getting up and down the court, his defense didn't look to impressive but with his size he can get fairly good position and his post moves looked pretty good, but his finishes didn't, but I'd imagine that will come in time.

I don't know if he'll play next game, I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't, but we should get to see him again soon...

SKINNYPIMP210
11-23-2006, 05:44 AM
I Don't Think He'll Play Against Dallas. But He Wasn't That Bad Out There. He Looked A Little Rushed And Nearvous, But You're Right He Did Get Good Position But His Finish Wasn't On Point.

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2006, 05:58 AM
his shown signs of mvp form scorin 2 points hahahahahaha so he deserves his own thread

whottt
11-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Here's Butler's pre draft scouting report so you can get an idea of what he's like...he is definitely an offensive player and a project everywhere else. His biggest assets are his strength and his hands. He's a project, but he's a project who controls his own fate.

BTW, he was pretty much a better C than Eddie Curry or Jerome James for the Knicks last year and if he hadn't been so raw he likely would have beaten them out in Brown's rotation.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/jackiebutler.asp

Jackie Butler
Birthdate: 4/10/85
NBA Position: Power Forward
College: None
Class: *HS Senior (5th Yr)
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 263
Hometown: McComb, MS
High School: McComb
2003 Stats

NBA Comparison: Antonio Davis

Strength: A real physical specimen at the tender age of 19. Has slimed down and built muscle. His strength allows him to put himself wherever he wants in the post.. Has great hands downlow and anything that goes his way he gets ahold of. His post game is developing, if he can improve in this area, he's got a chance to be a 12 year NBA player. Very athletic and gets down the court pretty well for a big man when he wants to. Looks like a young Elton Brand the way he hits the offensive boards and finds position for rebounds. His huge wingspan (7 foot) makes him a bigger player than he is.

Weaknesses: Post game is still very raw and needs work. In high school he could use his strength to get whenever he needed to (that won't be the case in the NBA). Footwork also needs improvement.... Could have done himself some good by going to college however he should still be drafted. At times he's very inconsistent and lazy on defense, especially in transition. Needs to work harder and get into better shape.

Note: He is 19 years old, he attended a prep school for 1 year.

-Rob Salvador (Draftcamp warrior) -- 6/16/04

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butler is a physical monster standing 6-9, 255 pounds but he doesn’t use it to his advantage. He is extremely slow and doesn’t pick up his feet when going back in transition. He is inconsistent on defense as well. Memo to Jackie: Plant yourself on the block, hit the weights, and get some elevation. If he does that, then we will be talking about a force.

To Butler’s credit, he does show flashes of brilliance. He knows he’s bigger than everyone at the high school level. But the SEC is a different story. When he attends Mississippi State, he’ll have an opportunity to play on a good team with promising players and in a conference that produces good power forwards. The future is ultimately in Butler’s hands.

-Justin Young

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2006, 07:06 AM
he should watch how boozer goes to work

Texas_Ranger
11-23-2006, 08:56 AM
He will play against Dallas only if we will have the lead by 15 points in last two minutes, otherwise no minutes for him.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-23-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't know if he'll play next game, I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't, but we should get to see him again soon...

Popovich has said that he is going to rotate Vaughn, Butler, and Williams through the inactive list -- 2 out and 1 in for each game. So, I'd expect Williams to be activated for Dallas, if I have the rotation straight. White stays inactive unless and until he's ready for some game/garbage minutes.

ALVAREZ6
11-23-2006, 09:06 AM
His biggest assets are his strength and his hands.
I can't agree with that, just because he's big doesn't mean he's strong. When he was trying to back down Zo last night, he couldn't get an inch closer to the basket, he couldn't move Zo back at all. And when he went to turn around for a hook shot, Zo wouldn't let his shoulders even rotate, so it was like a retarded flip shot. But I also noticed that he used that shot more than once, so maybe he just sucks at offense, and for that matter, sucks at everything.

Jackie Butler is useless.

bigfan
11-23-2006, 09:58 AM
He reminds me of when the Spurs first signed Duckworth. Similar size, skills, a long term project (remember he didnt actually play well for the Spurs, only after he was traded).

The Truth #6
11-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I was shocked at how overweight he still looked. It seemed like he was overwhelmed in trying to fit in and be at the right places and all that. Luckily, he isn't needed right now so he can improve in practice.

bdictjames
11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
He does look pretty confident in his FT shooting

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2006, 12:51 PM
He does look pretty confident in his FT shooting
you sure thats spurs material?

MannyIsGod
11-23-2006, 02:02 PM
I can't agree with that, just because he's big doesn't mean he's strong. When he was trying to back down Zo last night, he couldn't get an inch closer to the basket, he couldn't move Zo back at all. And when he went to turn around for a hook shot, Zo wouldn't let his shoulders even rotate, so it was like a retarded flip shot. But I also noticed that he used that shot more than once, so maybe he just sucks at offense, and for that matter, sucks at everything.

Jackie Butler is useless.Your judgement on a player and his useablity is him being matched up with one of the greatest post defenders of our generation? Thats ridiculous. I'll be the first to admit Butler did not look very good last night but that by no means is an indication that he is useless.

Sam
11-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I think there was a reason everyone was passing on him and it was his laziness.

MannyIsGod
11-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I think you guys are idiots. Let the kid play a few times before you try to draw so many conclusions. This forum is so fickle. First Elson was garbage, then he was Hakeem Part 2, and now he's a Faster Nazr. First Butler was a coup of a signing, now he's lazy and useles. Later this season he'll be the second coming of Shaq according to some of you.

Mr. Body
11-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm with MannyIs on this one.

I saw him trying to hit his spots more than anything, concentrating on sets and rotations. I'm sure Pop counseled him to get those right above everything - we know what he offers just going out there and playing, but we want him to contribute later in the year fitting in with the offense and defense schemes. I'd like to see him attack the boards more, though - hopefully he can get that done. His post work looks fine - he can get his shots.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2006, 02:14 PM
I think there was a reason everyone was passing on him and it was his laziness.

Yeah his laziness is what got him to lose 20-25 pounds in the last 2 months. :rolleyes

joeyjfive
11-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I think you guys are idiots. Let the kid play a few times before you try to draw so many conclusions. This forum is so fickle. First Elson was garbage, then he was Hakeem Part 2, and now he's a Faster Nazr. First Butler was a coup of a signing, now he's lazy and useles. Later this season he'll be the second coming of Shaq according to some of you.

Haha I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one, except for calling everyone idiots, I think you're right. We do have to see him play a few more times before we can fully analyze him, but I cant lie he was looking a little sluggish to me out there.

Ariel
11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
BTW, he was pretty much a better C than Eddie Curry or Jerome James for the Knicks last year and if he hadn't been so raw he likely would have beaten them out in Brown's rotation.
That is very reassuring.... NOT.

Seriously, let's cut Jackie some slack. He's getting used to playing in the NBA, let alone for the Spurs, and we know that's not an easy job. And sometimes frustration can look like disinterest.

Now that Oberto and Elson are proving a better combo than anticipated, the Spurs can afford to bring Jackie slowly. I think he'll pan out fine... but even if he doesn't, well... no biggie. It's not like our fate lies on his shoulders, or like he cost us valuable assets, or like the money commited to him is preventing us from signing someone worthwhile.

Ease up on the guy.

SenorSpur
11-23-2006, 03:41 PM
I was utterly shocked at how lost he seemed to be out there against Miami. He showed little to no aggressiveness "hitting the boards", blocking out or playing defense.

As everyone knows, it's very early on in his career so I'll cut him some slack for now. However, he's going to have to up his "want to factor" considerably if he expects to remain at this level.

It's a good thing we don't need production from him now.

TurkishTimDuncan
11-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I think we need to this guy who has a abig potantional and also ıf we have chance he can do more benefit than oberto

ChumpDumper
11-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Alot of players look bad when they start trying to play Spurs basketball.

~Sweetmelody~
11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Yikes some harsh words for his first game.
I will admit I was a little suprised that he looked a little lost, but I am sure that over time that will change.

wildbill2u
11-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Considering he played some for the Knicks and L. Brown let him get some minutes, I expected more from him than a performance fitting for a rookie. I didn't see any raw physical talent that made me excited.

Lets be charitable and say he hasn't grasped the offense or defense yet.

dimsah
11-23-2006, 05:45 PM
He did have a few good showings on pic'roll defense. Did no one notice that?
He looked like someone who was trying to figure out where he was supposed to be most of the time which is what everyone should have expected.

Dirk Nowitzki
11-23-2006, 06:12 PM
He will play against Dallas only if we will have the lead by 15 points in last two minutes, otherwise no minutes for him.
:drunk :drunk You can only wish to beat us by that much. You will need a last second miss by the Mavs to win the game once again!

whottt
11-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I think you guys are idiots. .

:tu

Mavs<Spurs
11-23-2006, 10:54 PM

No, Elson showed flashes of DRob (not Hakeem!) to me.
Then, Bill Schoening left me with the impression that he was a much faster Nazr Mohammed.

Butler has come in as a work in progress. He didn't seem to show a lot of touch lately, but he's only 21. So, it's not like he's 30 and his game is as good as it will get. Besides, you have a better chance of scoring if you can actually catch the basketball. At least, he will get a shot up, low percentage or not.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-24-2006, 12:25 AM

Jackie Butler is useless.

Get a grip! He's 20yo and we've got him signed for 3 years for next to nothing as a development project. :rolleyes

I really hate the way a lot of people around here immediately go to extremes after any sort of disappointment - Butler's useless, Horry's useless, Barry's useless... um, no they're not. Can we please put our criticisms in some sort of reasonable magnitude?

Butler didn't look great. That is not surprising for a project that is about 3% finished. A month into building a skyscraper, do you look at a hole in the ground and say "this builder's useless"? No, you say, "I wonder what this patch of ground will look like in 3 years".

Some perspective, please. :wtf

ALVAREZ6
11-24-2006, 12:36 AM
:lol

Well, Jackie Butler isn't really that important to the team. Let's just say, compared to Horry and Barry (as you mentioned), Butler is very, very replaceable. There's probably a bunch of guys not on teams that could fill his shoes.

Hell, if we put GiG in the weight room for a few months, he could probably take Butler's spot.

leemajors
11-24-2006, 12:41 AM
:lol

Well, Jackie Butler isn't really that important to the team. Let's just say, compared to Horry and Barry (as you mentioned), Butler is very, very replaceable. There's probably a bunch of guys not on teams that could fill his shoes.

Hell, if we put GiG in the weight room for a few months, he could probably take Butler's spot.

yet the front office targeted butler to steal as a restricted free agent, while the "bunch of guys not on teams that could fill his shoes" continue to stay unemployed. it's a good thing your argument holds water. :dizzy

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Next year, or maybe later this year if one of our centres go down, Butler will become a part of the rotation. He was more than competent in the 13 mins a game he played for NY last year, and he will only get better with guidance from Tim, Rob, even Fab, and of course the coaches. Pop is developing him slowly because he can afford to, just as he did with Jax.

You watch him blossom over the next two years, and mark my (and many others') words - the kid IS FOR REAL.

He could well be next year's Bynum.

I make banners
11-24-2006, 06:56 AM
^ This man knows his sports!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/ruffnReady.gif