View Full Version : Pat Riley Explodes After Big Loss

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Riley on edge after debacle
Coach warns players: Cuts may be coming

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 23 2006

SAN ANTONIO · As the deficit mounted, as Pat Riley found himself unable to find answers for his team's growing questions, the Heat coach allowed himself a moment of exasperation.

After calling a second-quarter timeout with his team down 18 in what would turn into a humiliating 106-86 loss to the Spurs at AT&T Center, Riley slammed his portfolio against his hip.

Had the hip proven as frail as his team, perhaps this would not have been his mess to heal. But in bypassing a hip replacement for the shot at a second consecutive title, the nightmare is becoming a daily reminder of how quickly fate can turn.

Wednesday in many ways was Riley's breaking point.

"I'm damned if I'll allow people to crap on this franchise," he said after loudly expressing similar disgust directly to his players in a postgame locker room diatribe that included threats to cut players and eat contracts. "I've been the good daddy. That's history now."

With injuries increasing and his team's spirits sagging, Riley could only grimace as the Heat fell to 4-7, with its fifth loss in its past six games.

"I'm going to have to find a solution," he said, summarily discarding injuries.

Yet five days after losing center Shaquille O'Neal to a significant knee injury, and a day after losing forward James Posey to a minor calf ailment, Riley rounded out his three-man inactive list with point guard Jason Williams.

Having delivered the rare dose of optimism with last Friday's return from offseason surgery, Williams announced before Wednesday's game that the discomfort in his right knee had returned.

Against that backdrop of doom, the Heat opened 0 for 5 from the field, fell behind 8-1, went down 21 in the second quarter, trailed 57-38 at halftime, and saw its deficit reach 29 in the fourth quarter.

That's when Riley entered the locker room and let loose with the type of vitriol he never needed last season, after coach Stan Van Gundy endured the team's 10-10 start.

"We don't even have respect for winning," power forward Udonis Haslem agreed. "It seems like we're not even putting in the effort to defend it."

Unlike in previous debacles this month, Riley exhibited little restraint with his irritation. When the second half started, Antoine Walker and Alonzo Mourning were on the bench, with Dorell Wright and Earl Barron on the court.

For Mourning, it was an out-of-sorts evening, with defensive miscues compounding his impulsive offensive decisions.

For Walker, it was practically a self-imposed exile.

After challenging Riley to give him a greater role in the O'Neal-less offense, Walker found himself on the bench 1 minute, 17 seconds into the opening period, after picking up two fouls. Another quick foul limited him to five first-half minutes. After missing 20 of his previous 29 shots entering the game, he was 0 for 4 in the first half, his only attempts of what turned into a 10-minute outing.

"It's not that we're losing," Walker said, "it's the way we're losing."

Those who got to stay and endure what has become regularly scheduled national-television degradation, exhibited their own frustration.

Guard Dwyane Wade, who opened 1 of 7 from the field, was called for a second-quarter technical foul for bouncing the ball off the basket support.

Teammate Gary Payton then got into the act by decrying the whistle on Wade. When Payton was called for a technical of his own, he turned away from Wade, toward referee Michael Smith and said, "I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to my man."

And so it went.

The Heat fell to 1-19 alltime in San Antonio, where it has not won since Dec. 23, 1996.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@ sun-sentinel.com.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-spheatspec23nov23,0,2919627.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

samikeyp
11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
:smchode:

Medvedenko
11-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Too bad for the heat....injuries a part of the game, every team has them. Now, building a team full of malcontents and expecting them to try hard every night, that's a different story.

velik_m
11-23-2006, 11:45 AM
^especially now that they have what they wanted.

Spurologist
11-23-2006, 12:12 PM
video??

Sam
11-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm glad Old Riley still has some fire in him. Now maybe he can get some of his players pumped up to play or burn them.

Phil Hellmuth
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
unless jordan or kobe-shaq are on your team, repeating is virtually impossible to do.

lefty
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Funny....because the last time Pat Riley exploded in the locker-room was at...San Antonio ; it was in the 80's when he was coaching the Showtime Lakers ; he didn't like the fact his players were looking at the cheerleaders instead of listening to him during a timeout ; I read that snacks were flying all over when he exploded, despite the fact his team won the game.

T Park
11-23-2006, 01:21 PM
He needs to bring it down a notch.

z0sa
11-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Heat don't make the playoffs?

Sam
11-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Heat don't make the playoffs?
If they don't make the playoffs with the East being as bad as it is then Riley needs to fire himself.

judaspriestess
11-23-2006, 02:16 PM
maybe there should be a * next to their championship. Where is ABC now?

SenorSpur
11-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I find it amusing that Riley is so upset. If he's looking to place blame or assign accountability, he should try looking into the mirror. After all, it was HE that assembled this group of veterans. Their lone objective - WIN the NBA CHAMPIONSHIP. Mission accomplished.

Everyone knows that team was built for one season and one season only. He should have addressed some of the degraded personnel issues during the offseason.

He'd better do something soon. No way can Wade carry this team again through the season and the playoffs

wildbill2u
11-23-2006, 05:34 PM
After the workmanlike dismantling of his team, Riley got steamed. When the Spurs are clicking, they can do that to ya.

Medvedenko
11-23-2006, 05:43 PM
It's a long season....and maybe the Heat can turn it around, especially in the East. Now, do I want to seem them implode and buy out Shaq....yes.

T Park
11-23-2006, 05:46 PM
So the Lakers can bring him back, I bet so.

BTW, Medvedenko, love your

"One for the pink, two for the stink" photo :)

pjjrfan
11-23-2006, 06:09 PM
The east right now has only 5 teams playing above .500 ball, and if Shag comes back before the all star break and can round into form by April, I think they are the favorites again to come out of the East. I think Riley wants to make sure they don't go an extended losing streak that may put them in a hole to big to recover from. Right now everyone is trying to figure out what the team can do with who they have. Having Posey back will help, no one will be able to bring what Shag brings but this team definitly needs to start shwoing some energy and guys have to step it up and help out Wade before he too goes down with some kind of injury if not from total exhaustion.

Chris
11-23-2006, 07:57 PM
video??