PDA

View Full Version : Was it a foul

carib
11-24-2006, 10:45 PM
17 for 25 from the line is not good enough, when games are close coming to the end of big games

Texas_Ranger
11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes it was a damn foul.

jbspurs
11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
17 for 25 from the line is not good enough, when games are close coming to the end of big games

YES! on both occassion...

carib
11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
it was a foul and so what hit the free shots from the line.

Drbio
11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Finley was fouled on the floor.

Dre_7
no foul

His pushed him with his lower body, that was a foul.

TDMVPDPOY
seems like the refs didnt bail us out on this as they dont work overtime, fuck them

BUMP
11-24-2006, 10:51 PM
finley, yes it was a foul but the Duncan one was definitely a phantom call.

carib
11-24-2006, 10:52 PM
It was a good no call; just stop putting your self in position like this at the end of games.
Hit the free throws in the middle of the game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Even if it was, we can't blame it ALL on the refs. They didn't make us have a shitty 1st half. Oh well. The Spurs will learn from their mistakes.

George Gervin's Afro
It was a good no call; just stop putting your self in position like this at the end of games.
Hit the free throws in the middle of the game.

Exactly..

CPIM
Refs paid tooooooo much attention on Dubcan at that point of time.

Dre_7
11-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Harris put his hand on Duncans waist, thats a foul. Duncan just made a smart play by shooting as soon as he felt the contact.

twincam
11-24-2006, 10:54 PM
AMEN,

I'm glad I'm not the only one here with common sense..

Make your damn free throws

Tek_XX
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
The refs are so used to swallowing their whistles on those last plays that obvious fouls are not called. I hope the league holds it against them.

baseline bum
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
No complaint on the last call. If I was the ref I wouldn't have blown the whistle on it. Harris' play was of course a foul, and Duncan was smart enough to put the shot up immediately when he felt contact.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2006, 11:02 PM
No complaint on the last call. If I was the ref I wouldn't have blown the whistle on it. Harris' play was of course a foul, and Duncan was smart enough to put the shot up immediately when he felt contact.
thats just like sayin ref should not call a foul in the dyin secs of a playoff game last season :(:( fuck the refs, fuck pops rotation, damn the clowns who didnt turn up to play, damn the dinosaurs on our bench who should retire.

lets feast on pop.co :hungry:

dimsah
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
AMEN,

I'm glad I'm not the only one here with common sense..

Make your damn free throws
Everyone can stop this now. These are the Spurs. They never have, nor ever will be a good free-throw shooting team. We've said this same shit for years.
It's not going to fucking happen.

George Gervin's Afro
11-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Well then I'll say it... the season is over.. :dramaquee

Spurologist
11-24-2006, 11:05 PM
It wasn't a shooting foul. It was a foul on the floor. Spurs down 3. FIN would have gone to line and chances of winning are slim especially with the clock running down. That foul wasn't the ball game. Lottery subbing and pathetic individual efforts did the trick

pking
11-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh, you mavs fans saying it was no foul are pretty funny.

'twas a foul...but it wasn't a foul on the shot. The foul was before the shot, it would've been a two shot foul.

carib
11-24-2006, 11:06 PM
thats just like sayin ref should not call a foul in the dyin secs of a playoff game last season :(:( fuck the refs, fuck pops rotation, damn the clowns who didnt turn up to play, damn the dinosaurs on our bench who should retire.

lets feast on pop.co :hungry:

lets not feast on no one Dallas went 12 for 15 and the Spurs 17 for 25 from the line.

Dre_7
11-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Even if the foul was called the Spurs prolly lose anyways. Fin makes both FTs, then they foul with what 3 seconds left and no time out? Either that or Fin makes the first and bricks the second hoping for the tip. Either way, the game was most likely over,. Thats not the point. The point is Dirk gets away with a lot of stuff at the end of close games.

dimsah
11-24-2006, 11:09 PM
lets not feast on no one Dallas went 12 for 15 and the Spurs 17 for 25 from the line.
And that's how it's going to be almost every night.
The free-throw argument holds no water because it never changes.

They've sucked from the line for years. How is everyone not used to it by now?

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Even if the foul was called the Spurs prolly lose anyways. Fin makes both FTs, then they foul with what 3 seconds left and no time out? Either that or Fin makes the first and bricks the second hoping for the tip. Either way, the game was most likely over,. Thats not the point. The point is Dirk gets away with a lot of stuff at the end of close games.

Finley was shooting a 3. So, that's 3 free throws for him. He makes all 3 probably.

Goes into overtime.

Dre_7
11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Finley was shooting a 3. So, that's 3 free throws for him. He makes all 3 probably.

Goes into overtime.

Yeah but I dont think they would have givin him continuation on that one.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah but I dont think they would have givin him continuation on that one.

It appears that he was in the act of shooting which is confirmed by the context.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2006, 11:19 PM

seriously we cant have it both ways, had we won the game im sure mavsfans would be complain about duncans no calls.....i think that sums it up for every star player in the league.

i dont think non of us should be complaining, since we shouldve lost this game in the first quarter by a team who didnt show up to play defense.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:19 PM
It appears that he was in the act of shooting which is confirmed by the context.

After all, what else was he going to do at that point with that amount of time left?

pking
11-24-2006, 11:20 PM
The foul was before the shot.

Dre_7
11-24-2006, 11:20 PM
After all, what else was he going to do at that point with that amount of time left?

He wasnt shooting when he was fouled, otherwise he woulda shot it right away. He pumped and tried to get open. The foul happened before the shot.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:22 PM
seriously we cant have it both ways, had we won the game im sure mavsfans would be complain about duncans no calls.....i think that sums it up for every star player in the league.

i dont think non of us should be complaining, since we shouldve lost this game in the first quarter by a team who didnt show up to play defense.

When the refs aren't terrible, then I don't make any comments about them.
This time, they were terrible.

I'm not going to ignore the obvious. The refs did make some incredibly bad calls and if the correct calls had been made, the Spurs do win the game.

Clearly, if the Spurs had played with more intensity and desire (con ganas), especially on defense, then the bad calls would not have mattered.

I believe that both ideas are true.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:23 PM
He wasnt shooting when he was fouled, otherwise he woulda shot it right away. He pumped and tried to get open. The foul happened before the shot.

Disagree.

He did pump fake and then he did go up with his shot and by responding to the fake, Dirk fouled Finley while he was in the act of shooting.

Players do it all the time to draw a foul.

fraga
11-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Even the Announcers on ESPN said it was obvious foul...they were just discussing whether it was a shooting foul or a foul on the floor...

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:26 PM
It seems like it just wouldn't make sense to suppose that Finley was not in the act of shooting, which was what I saw, from my perspective.

Is he really not going to shoot at that time? It seems like that just does not make sense. Would he really hold the ball or go for a dribble drive to go for 2 when time is about to expire? That just doesn't seem to make sense.
There was not enough time to pass it to anyone and he knew that.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:29 PM
In any event, to me, you can't play half hearted and give up such a big lead to a good team, that's what I take away from it.

I am extremely disappointed with our energy level and our defense in the first half. I am very disappointed that Tim didn't get more rebounds as well.

Also, we should have gotten the ball into Tim's hands more and spread the floor better so that Tim would have more room to operate.

jbspurs
11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
LET IT GO ITS OVER! AT LEAST IT WASN'T LOPSIDED!!!!LOL :blah

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Also, I have to give a lot of credit to the Mavs.

Dampier played really well tonight I thought.
His energy, defense and rebounding really helped the Mavs.

Dallas' defense in general was extremely good. Although we should have been more careful about our passes and spread the floor better and put Timmy in positions where he could better see the defense, Dallas got a lot of steals by sheer effort and force of will.

Dirk was terrific tonight.

Hitting those shots outside early really put Dallas in good shape.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
LET IT GO ITS OVER! AT LEAST IT WASN'T LOPSIDED!!!!LOL :blah

you're new here, huh?

The game is barely over. This was an important game between two of the best teams in the NBA in a heated rivalry.

Think that we're going to ignore this game this soon afterwards?

Did you not watch game 7 last year in the Western Conference semifinals?

????????????????

bdictjames
11-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Did anyone see Devin Harris drive right through the hoop with Duncan just writhing in pain about 2 feet away? I was sure Dampier hacked him, how could Harris make the lay-up so wide open like it was just practice?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I did.

Mavs<Spurs
11-24-2006, 11:41 PM
I did.

I saw the play and remember it, but I didn't see what happened to Tim.

What are your impressions?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2006, 11:43 PM
I thought Dampier was holding his waist preventing him to block the shot. THat's why Tim was staring down the official for that little moment after the play.

dav4463
11-24-2006, 11:55 PM
The refs are so used to swallowing their whistles on those last plays that obvious fouls are not called. I hope the league holds it against them.

They don't swallow it in the playoffs when Dirk has the ball.

timvp
11-25-2006, 12:56 AM
All I know is if Dirk got ran into like Finley got ran into, Dirk would be going to the line for a three-point flagrant foul with the ball and time added to the clock and the offender would have been ejected and suspended for a game.

dg7md
11-25-2006, 12:58 AM
It was a foul, but I'm over it. Bring on another 5 game win streak!

Kori Ellis
11-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Spurs need to stop getting down by 15-20 points in games and then they won't have to crawl their way back and worry about a single call that can go one way or another.

Even a lot of the Spurs wins this season, they have been down big. Sure a couple of those come from behind wins build character and all that jazz. But at some point, they need to stop getting down big.

Kori Ellis
11-25-2006, 12:59 AM
(But yes I think Fin got fouled and I think Dirk shuffled his feet earlier)

ShoogarBear
11-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Wasn't the play where Dirk shuffled his feet followed by him shooting an airball? So that call really didn't matter one way or the other.

veronicamae
11-25-2006, 01:19 AM
I think it was a foul, but I didn't re-watch it enough to know if it was a 2- or 3-shot foul. My instincts tell me it would have only been a 2-shot...

In any case, it can't be changed now and the Spurs ALMOST got out of that huge first-half hole. I'm just pissed they played like crap that first half and made that hole a tad too deep to get out of it. I was more angry at their playing than I was at Dallas or the refs (other than Dirk's cheap elbow shot to Oberto and that random travelling call against Tony which should have been a blocking call).

The Spurs lost this one for themselves.

ponky
11-25-2006, 02:22 AM

this is the correct answer...besides, what's the point of this thread? don't whine about the calls, you got most of them 25 FTAs to the Mavs 15

ponky
11-25-2006, 02:28 AM

i agree with this and i was surprised that the mavs jumped out to an early lead because i thought if anything, we'd have to come from behind like we seem to be doing a lot of lately with the exception of the blowout against the wizards...i hate mavs fans that bitch about officiating because in the end, the no calls and wrong calls USUALLY even out and both teams end up with some of each...that it happens at the end of a game as opposed to the middle doesn't matter, just don't put yourself in that position way before the last minute of the game

gospursgojas
11-25-2006, 02:28 AM
YES IT WAS A FOUL

I hate it when people say "you shouldn't have let it come down to that". Players are going to miss their shots and miss their free throws, it a part of the game. So I wish the refs would just call the game as they see it. TWO refs were looking right at the play and chose not to call it. The only difference in the two calls was one was on Harris and the other would have been on Dirk.

ponky
11-25-2006, 02:37 AM
YES IT WAS A FOUL

I hate it when people say "you shouldn't have let it come down to that". Players are going to miss their shots and miss their free throws, it a part of the game. So I wish the refs would just call the game as they see it. TWO refs were looking right at the play and chose not to call it. The only difference in the two calls was one was on Harris and the other would have been on Dirk.

I wish the refs would call the game AND see it. There were a couple of no calls on the Mavs in the middle of the game that pissed me off at the time, but whatever, shit happens, no need to bitch. Also, the reason people say you shouldn't let it get down to that is because the Spurs are not the greatest FT shooting team and Duncan's perfect trio of FTs is not a sure thing most times so you don't need ot put your team in that situation if it 's not their greatest strength. Why do that when you could just play with more effort and win the game without worrying about whether or not your poor FT shooting team can make the shots under pressure in the fourth?

RonMexico
11-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Not only was it a foul, but Dirk traveled with about 18 seconds left (could have left SA with more time to get off a shot at the end). This game was further proof that the kid gloves come out when the big German is in town (in SA or Phoenix) - Dirk has numerous phantom fouls per game, so what if Duncan gets one that an actual MVP winner deserves!!! I wish someone would take the time to find such stats, but I'm sure Dirk is the first 3rd place MVP vote getter to garner more sympathy from the refs than actually winners. I surely wish Cuban would send clips of this game into the league; since he cares so much about the quality of the officiating, it would only be consistent.

One positive thing that Spurs fans can take away from this is the extreme class exhibited by the team and coaching staff. When Duncan and Finely were (appropriately) irate at the no call, Pop just walked over and patted his boys on the back and calmly led them into the locker room. Of course, he did pause to look at the replay one more time to confirm how bad the call was before he walked to the back. Imagine if Baby Dirky or Jason "the Choke" Terry had been in Finely's position, Cuban and Avery (who is slowly becoming the biggest pussy coach in the league) would have run onto the floor, jumping and screaming and berating the refs and then AJ would complain about them more in the press conference and Terry would have punched all 3 refs in the balls. This class is the reason the Spurs have championships and the Mavs don't and never will.

ponky
11-25-2006, 02:55 AM
I wish someone would take the time to find such stats, but I'm sure Dirk is the first 3rd place MVP vote getter to garner more sympathy from the refs than actually winners. I surely wish Cuban would send clips of this game into the league; since he cares so much about the quality of the officiating, it would only be consistent.

Actually, I can help you out there, I keep a running total of this particular stat and I have it for last year, the playoffs and this season. I can send them to you or post them later but I don't think you'll like what you see. It won't help your argument any.

FlipMavFan
11-25-2006, 03:14 AM
Total Effd up refereeing. Couldnt believe the kind of calls they had on both our teams tonight. Umm... Calling the attention of Mr. Stern?

jochhejaam
11-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure if it would have affected the outcome, but the refs swallowing their whistles on that was inexcusable.

Overall a great game between 2 of the top 3 teams in the league (Utah the 3rd team).

dirk4mvp
11-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Not only was it a foul, but Dirk traveled with about 18 seconds left (could have left SA with more time to get off a shot at the end). This game was further proof that the kid gloves come out when the big German is in town (in SA or Phoenix) - Dirk has numerous phantom fouls per game, so what if Duncan gets one that an actual MVP winner deserves!!! I wish someone would take the time to find such stats, but I'm sure Dirk is the first 3rd place MVP vote getter to garner more sympathy from the refs than actually winners. I surely wish Cuban would send clips of this game into the league; since he cares so much about the quality of the officiating, it would only be consistent.

One positive thing that Spurs fans can take away from this is the extreme class exhibited by the team and coaching staff. When Duncan and Finely were (appropriately) irate at the no call, Pop just walked over and patted his boys on the back and calmly led them into the locker room. Of course, he did pause to look at the replay one more time to confirm how bad the call was before he walked to the back. Imagine if Baby Dirky or Jason "the Choke" Terry had been in Finely's position, Cuban and Avery (who is slowly becoming the biggest pussy coach in the league) would have run onto the floor, jumping and screaming and berating the refs and then AJ would complain about them more in the press conference and Terry would have punched all 3 refs in the balls. This class is the reason the Spurs have championships and the Mavs don't and never will.

D'antoni already has pussiest coach in the league on a wrap.

But here's a summary of your PMS summary.

:cry

You'd figure as much of a pussy your entire team is, you'd have no nerve at all to call somebody that. :donkey

Mavs<Spurs
11-25-2006, 09:24 AM
i agree with this and i was surprised that the mavs jumped out to an early lead because i thought if anything, we'd have to come from behind like we seem to be doing a lot of lately with the exception of the blowout against the wizards...i hate mavs fans that bitch about officiating because in the end, the no calls and wrong calls USUALLY even out and both teams end up with some of each...that it happens at the end of a game as opposed to the middle doesn't matter, just don't put yourself in that position way before the last minute of the game

You're right, we should not have let it come down to that.
If we had played hard and better defense in the first half, then it looks like the refs would have been irrelevant. Since we can't control whether the calls go our way (as we see it), we need to work harder on the things that we can control.
And it's just too hard to win after you spot a good team, a 17 point lead.
Good win, mavs. You played harder for more minutes and you won. That's the bottom line.

Mavs<Spurs
11-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Spurs need to stop getting down by 15-20 points in games and then they won't have to crawl their way back and worry about a single call that can go one way or another.

Even a lot of the Spurs wins this season, they have been down big. Sure a couple of those come from behind wins build character and all that jazz. But at some point, they need to stop getting down big.

Yup. Right as usual, Kori.
I'm more disappointed by our lack of intensity, our lack of defense in the first half and our acquisition of such a large deficit, than by the bad calls of the refs.

I just don't understand why we didn't come out to play this game hard for the full 48 minutes.

bulletedge
11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
After totally choking away the Finals last year and after starting out 0-4 this season it looks like the Mavs have started to get things back on track. It was a big win- and a surprising one. I hope it comes down to Mavs and Spurs in the WCF.

RE: calls and non-calls...this IS the NBA where the officiating will drive any true basketball fan absolutely nuts. But, I am glad to see that they have cracked down on all of the whining...Cuban needed to have a muzzle put on him and so far it is working. Also, I am glad to see many more walking and palming calls. If they're not careful they may even return the game to some semblance of the game Naismith invented!

td4mvp21
11-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Guys come on, the Duncan foul was total BS. Those kind of calls on Dirk drive us nuts. The Finley foul should have definitely been called but it was payback for the bad call on Duncan. The refs sucked for both teams tonight, I wish for once they could be consistent. They were calling nothing in the first quarter then they started to call everything in the second, etc.

But the Spurs need to not rely on the refs for wins. Why this team wasn't motivated enough to win on its OWN COURT after being beat there in Game 7 last season aggravates me. We let the Mavs jump on us early-they came out aggressive and we came out our typical lackadaisical selves.

jmard5
11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Did anyone see Devin Harris drive right through the hoop with Duncan just writhing in pain about 2 feet away? I was sure Dampier hacked him, how could Harris make the lay-up so wide open like it was just practice?

I saw that one. Dampier pulled Duncan from behind, hence Harris got an uncontested layup.

jmard5
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
this is the correct answer...besides, what's the point of this thread? don't whine about the calls, you got most of them 25 FTAs to the Mavs 15

This is where you are wrong. Mavs have fewer freethrows because most of your plays came from jump shots and you have better FG%. Spurs played a lot more in the paint.

Quit pointing out FT discrepancies.

CaptainLate
11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
You're right, we should not have let it come down to that.

Spurs should have gone for the quick layup. You can figure that all teams, when up by three with under a minute to go don't want to foul a player driving to the basket as the clock winds down -- right Manu?

So get your quick two and foul someone OTHER THAN DIRK, right Bowen?

RonMexico
11-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Actually, I can help you out there, I keep a running total of this particular stat and I have it for last year, the playoffs and this season. I can send them to you or post them later but I don't think you'll like what you see. It won't help your argument any.

I highly doubt that - Dirk already has a 200 FT attempt advantage from last year's playoffs - Duncan and Nash (two MVP winners) aren't anywhere close to catching up with that.

RonMexico
11-26-2006, 09:03 AM
D'antoni already has pussiest coach in the league on a wrap.

But here's a summary of your PMS summary.

:cry

You'd figure as much of a pussy your entire team is, you'd have no nerve at all to call somebody that. :donkey

Ironically, all the Mavs fans posted last year that they were tired of hearing how "scrappy, resilient, and tough" the Suns were last year and in the playoffs.

According to Webster's, "pussy" is defined as - "rolling your ankle awkwardly on a champion's foot both to foul that player out and call attention to your non-injury as you're crying and writhing on the ground. Then, when you shamelessly buy your way into the playoffs (see: Mark Cuban's NBA fine recap), you confirm status as pussy by throwing up 0 PT 4th quarters in important games."

Other definitions include, "punching former teammates in the balls and stealing Kenny Smith's nickname"; and "any use of the term 'bear-hug'"

cherylsteele
11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh, you mavs fans saying it was no foul are pretty funny.

'twas a foul...but it wasn't a foul on the shot. The foul was before the shot, it would've been a two shot foul.
I think you hit it right on the head.
The only way to win it from the line in this scenario is to make the first shot and miss the second intentionally, get a rebound and a quick follow shot. The chances for this are not good, especially the way the Spurs played in the game.

People have already said it.....make a better percentage from the line during the game and you would not be in that position most of the time.

This is where you are wrong. Mavs have fewer free throws because most of your plays came from jump shots and you have better FG%. Spurs played a lot more in the paint.
You are wrong.....sorry.
When you get more free throws it usually means you are being more aggressive going to the basket. When you get foul called in your favor you need to make sure it pays off by making the free throw.

Plus making the free throws can change the pace of the game and the way teams play later during the game.

1Parker1
11-26-2006, 10:42 AM
The Finley foul was questionable...though if anything it would have been a 2 shot foul, definitely not a 3 shot foul since Dirk didn't hit him as he went up to shoot.

I was ok with the officiating of this game, I thought there were some questionable calls that went both ways. The only thing that pissed me off were the 2 or 3 traveling calls they kept calling on Parker, yet when Dirk did it so blatantly in the end, he didn't get called for it.

jmard5
11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
You are wrong.....sorry.
When you get more free throws it usually means you are being more aggressive going to the basket. When you get foul called in your favor you need to make sure it pays off by making the free throw.

Plus making the free throws can change the pace of the game and the way teams play later during the game.

I was referring to the Mavs having fewer FTs than the Spurs in that game because they jumped shot a lot (with higher accuracy). Have you read my post wrong?

ponky
11-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I highly doubt that - Dirk already has a 200 FT attempt advantage from last year's playoffs - Duncan and Nash (two MVP winners) aren't anywhere close to catching up with that.

05-06 Season totals INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS

FTAs taken:

Duncan - 533
Nowitzki - 598
Wade - 803

Keep in mind that Nowitzki and Wade went on to play TWELVE more games than Duncan last season because of the playoffs. Of course, in reality because the first round went six games for the Spurs and four games for the Mavs I guess you could say that Dirk only played ten more playoff games than Duncan. One other interesting bit is that in game four against the grizzlies, Dirk didn't go to the line once during the entire game.

Since you made a sarcastic remark about Dirk's FTA advantage due to last season's playoffs here's the breakdown for the WC semis.

Gm1 Duncan 7-12 Nowitzki 4-6
Gm2 Duncan 12-14 Nowitzki 7-7
Gm3 Duncan 5-8 Nowitzki 21-24
Gm4 Duncan 7-8 Nowitzki 14-15
Gm5 Duncan 10-15 Nowitzki 4-4
Gm6 Duncan 8-10 Nowitzki 8-8
Gm7 Duncan 17-23 Nowitzki 15-16

I'm sure you can add but just to save you some time, Duncan took ten more free throws in the series than did Dirk. The only reason SOME Spurs fans bitched about the officiating is because Games 3/4 were the only games where Duncan wasn't sent to the line for double digit FTAs. Mavs fans could easily bitch about Games 1,2,5 and there are some who do, but I don't think officiating decides a game so I refrain from bitching although I can't deny that I'll get mad about a call here and there while watching a game. I just keep these stats out of curiosity because when I hear people make statements like the one you made (Dirk's advantage) then I have to go and check to see if it's true...and of course, it's not.

This season, Duncan and Dirk both have 110 FTAs and Wade has 149, all have played 13 games apiece.

Oh yes, I know people like to break it down and use paint/jumpers to make a distinction about the FTAs but sometimes people make that distinction only when it's advantageous to their position. I could probably make the case for Devin Harris since he drove to the paint a lot more in last year's series but I doubt he got the calls that Parker did, although I'm not certain, I'll check. Anyway, people get fouled shooting jumpers all the time when they are double-teamed as is Dirk so often. You can't assume that all these jumpers are wide open (thus less of a chance for a foul), there's no way a good defensive team like the Spurs would leave a guy like Dirk open and not guard him closely. It just doesn't seem as aggressive a foul as it does when it's in the paint...BUT, a foul is a foul is a foul.

SPURS vs NBA media
11-26-2006, 12:44 PM
:cheer
Refs paid tooooooo much attention on Dubcan at that point of time.
:lol :lol :lol :lol hawks fan :lol :lol

SPURS vs NBA media
11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
2 games against the mavs. no call, at the buzzer game 7 and Friday game

that really SUCKS

ponky
11-26-2006, 12:51 PM
2 games against the mavs. no call, at the buzzer game 7 and Friday game

that really SUCKS

I guess you can add that to your history lesson along with the story about the three rings you guys like to teach others about.

jmard5
11-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I guess you can add that to your history lesson along with the story about the three rings you guys like to teach others about.

Don't talk about Spurs history lessons when we can also talk about the Mavs recent historic choke job.

:blah

BeerIsGood!
11-26-2006, 01:38 PM
There were way too many wasted possessions throughout the 4th quarter that cost the Spurs this game. The game was pretty much even entering the 4th, and if they execute the offense and take advantage of possessions they get this win.

jbspurs
11-26-2006, 03:57 PM
you're new here, huh?

The game is barely over. This was an important game between two of the best teams in the NBA in a heated rivalry.

Think that we're going to ignore this game this soon afterwards?

Did you not watch game 7 last year in the Western Conference semifinals?

????????????????

I did and your team almost choke..... YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID!!!! FINALS LOSERS!! :blah

RonMexico
11-27-2006, 12:21 AM
05-06 Season totals INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS

FTAs taken:

Duncan - 533
Nowitzki - 598
Wade - 803

Keep in mind that Nowitzki and Wade went on to play TWELVE more games than Duncan last season because of the playoffs. Of course, in reality because the first round went six games for the Spurs and four games for the Mavs I guess you could say that Dirk only played ten more playoff games than Duncan. One other interesting bit is that in game four against the grizzlies, Dirk didn't go to the line once during the entire game.

Since you made a sarcastic remark about Dirk's FTA advantage due to last season's playoffs here's the breakdown for the WC semis.

Gm1 Duncan 7-12 Nowitzki 4-6
Gm2 Duncan 12-14 Nowitzki 7-7
Gm3 Duncan 5-8 Nowitzki 21-24
Gm4 Duncan 7-8 Nowitzki 14-15
Gm5 Duncan 10-15 Nowitzki 4-4
Gm6 Duncan 8-10 Nowitzki 8-8
Gm7 Duncan 17-23 Nowitzki 15-16

I'm sure you can add but just to save you some time, Duncan took ten more free throws in the series than did Dirk. The only reason SOME Spurs fans bitched about the officiating is because Games 3/4 were the only games where Duncan wasn't sent to the line for double digit FTAs. Mavs fans could easily bitch about Games 1,2,5 and there are some who do, but I don't think officiating decides a game so I refrain from bitching although I can't deny that I'll get mad about a call here and there while watching a game. I just keep these stats out of curiosity because when I hear people make statements like the one you made (Dirk's advantage) then I have to go and check to see if it's true...and of course, it's not.

This season, Duncan and Dirk both have 110 FTAs and Wade has 149, all have played 13 games apiece.

Oh yes, I know people like to break it down and use paint/jumpers to make a distinction about the FTAs but sometimes people make that distinction only when it's advantageous to their position. I could probably make the case for Devin Harris since he drove to the paint a lot more in last year's series but I doubt he got the calls that Parker did, although I'm not certain, I'll check. Anyway, people get fouled shooting jumpers all the time when they are double-teamed as is Dirk so often. You can't assume that all these jumpers are wide open (thus less of a chance for a foul), there's no way a good defensive team like the Spurs would leave a guy like Dirk open and not guard him closely. It just doesn't seem as aggressive a foul as it does when it's in the paint...BUT, a foul is a foul is a foul.

You would also have to see the number of those fouls that were in 3 point plays (lots of Devin Harris's were - and probably Dirk's since he usually got to the line for a continuation without being touched... basically - let's just say that Nash has had 36 FTA so far this year, so Dirk does have a massive advantage - and D-Wade generally gets slammed to the floor because he can actually drive past people, not into their feet and roll his ankle).

dirk4mvp
11-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Cry me a fucking river. :cry

4001 STEREO SPUR
11-27-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm surprised Dirk didn't get 3 free throws.

LEONARD
11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
:lol :lol :lol @ this thread...

LilMissSPURfect
11-27-2006, 11:20 AM
:reading

Mavs<Spurs
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I did and your team almost choke..... YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID!!!! FINALS LOSERS!! :blah

Reread my name

Mavs < Spurs .

For the math challenged, this means mavs less than Spurs.

If I were a mavs fan, would I say mavs less than Spurs?

I hate the mavs. I abhor Cuban, low blow, Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse.

My team is the Spurs. It has been since I moved here for school.
Tim Duncan is the best player in the NBA. Tim > (this means greater than for our math challenged friends) Dirk Nowinski.

When the Spurs lose, it ruins my whole week.

:nope :nope :nope

ponky
11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Reread my name

Mavs < Spurs .

For the math challenged, this means mavs less than Spurs.

If I were a mavs fan, would I say mavs less than Spurs?

I hate the mavs. I abhor Cuban, low blow, Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse.

My team is the Spurs. It has been since I moved here for school.
Tim Duncan is the best player in the NBA. Tim > (this means greater than for our math challenged friends) Dirk Nowinski.

When the Spurs lose, it ruins my whole week.

:nope :nope :nope

I hear you, I'm the same way, opposite side of Austin. Good luck tonight, I hope you lose to Nellie's boyz on a BTB! :lol

Mavs<Spurs
11-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I hear you, I'm the same way, opposite side of Austin. Good luck tonight, I hope you lose to Nellie's boyz on a BTB! :lol

This wasn't to you.

Somebody accused me of being a mavs fan, no way I was going to let that insult stand. I have way too much class for that.

ponky
11-27-2006, 12:44 PM
This wasn't to you.

Somebody accused me of being a mavs fan, no way I was going to let that insult stand. I have way too much class for that.

Haha, I guess that person couldn't read. What was that person thinking? Smart Mavs fans wouldn't be so stupid as to say that the Spurs were better than the Mavs considering last year's playoffs and Friday night's game. HAHA!!!

RonMexico
11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised Dirk didn't go to the line because the foul was obviously on Finley - kind of similar to when Nash got called for an offensive foul when Jason Terry jumped into Nash - but then the Mavs were 0-4 and the refs had to give them a win.

bdictjames
11-27-2006, 03:56 PM
The first quarter brought has down..

And how could Horry miss that wide open layup?

Obstructed_View
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised Dirk didn't go to the line because the foul was obviously on Finley - kind of similar to when Nash got called for an offensive foul when Jason Terry jumped into Nash - but then the Mavs were 0-4 and the refs had to give them a win.
Have you always been this stupid or did you suffer a serious head wound recently? Seems like you used to have takes that made a modicum of sense. If my sarcasm filter isn't working properly than disregard this post.

dirk4mvp
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Have you always been this stupid or did you suffer a serious head wound recently? Seems like you used to have takes that made a modicum of sense. If my sarcasm filter isn't working properly than disregard this post.

He's still bitter the Suns are a fly infested pile of shit.