PDA

View Full Version : Grizz' Kyle Lowry Might Miss Rest of Season

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Grizzlies rookie could miss most of season

November 24, 2006

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Memphis Grizzlies rookie point guard Kyle Lowry could miss most of the season after fracturing his left wrist on Tuesday night in a loss at Cleveland.

Lowry's left wrist was placed in a cast after he was injured in the second quarter. The official release states he will "be out indefinitely." But Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello said before Friday night's game against the Washington Wizards that Lowry's absence will be extensive.

"It takes him out of the next 71 games," Fratello said before easing his comments. "I couldn't tell you when exactly he will be ready to come back, whether it will be with part of the season left to go. I know it's going to be an extended period of time."

The rookie from Villanova was a boost off the Memphis bench with the energy he provided.

After not playing in the Grizzlies' fourth game of the season at Houston, Lowry's minutes steadily increased to a season-high 30 against Orlando on Monday. He had 16 points, his first double-figure game, with five steals and six assists. Several of his five rebounds came down the stretch as the Grizzlies overtook the Magic for only their second victory of the season.

"It's just a shame because I think everyone could see him coming and coming and taking steps each game at playing more comfortable with the NBA and figuring out what he can do and can't do and making himself more of a presence out there," Fratello said.

Fratello said the team has talked about a possible replacement for the void left by Lowry's injury, but said there are several factors, such as economics and an open roster spot, to consider.

Updated on Friday, Nov 24, 2006 8:16 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-grizzlies-lowryinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns