PDA

View Full Version : the oberto/dirk rivalry

duncan2k5
11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
there is definitely something going on between the two. it was fun to watch. especially the facial on dirk. does anyone know if oberto used to play against dirk in international play?

whottt
11-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Oberto takes advantage of him defensively....that's a nice change from previous years.

Unfortunately Pop's got issues when it comes to the Mavs and they just might trump anything else anyone does on the court.

Manu also needs to return to being Manu against the Mavs...

duncan2k5
11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
i like oberto's offense vs dirk...but we need elson to guard dirk. he played him decent in our win. oberto was gettin abused. haslem shut down dirk, and elson has similar athletic capabilities, but taller. i say we throw him in the fire next game. ir let timmy guard dirk. i know many ppl on here say he would get tino foul trouble, but we need to do something, timmy didnt make all defensive team every year by shitting down Majeic Lampe

hendrix
11-25-2006, 09:26 AM
You gotta give Dirk respect for all those jumpers he made. Oberto did his best to put a hand on his face most of the time.

wildbill2u
11-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Dirk is a 7' superstar with a great shot and great FT shooting. (hint to TD)

Nobody in the league is going to shut him down consistently. Would an athletic 7' footer who plays defense like a Bill Russell help? Yes, but we don't have one on our team.

Brutalis
11-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Oberto is not the man who needs to be on the floor for us in the first place.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:11 PM
come on if you all saw the game last night, where was oberto's "great" defense in the fourth quarter on Dirk.....?

Ariel
11-25-2006, 12:11 PM
i like oberto's offense vs dirk...but we need elson to guard dirk. he played him decent in our win. oberto was gettin abused.
We sure didn't watch the same game. Oberto managed to stay in front of Dirk and get his hand on his Js, while denying Dirk penetration and avoiding sending him to the line. I think Oberto did a pretty decent job, and forced Dirk to pull some tough jumpers, but when you're facing a 7 ft player who can dribble and penetrate like a guard, or shoot over you with such accuracy, there is not much you can do. All you can expect is to make him earn it while not creating other mismatches in the process. When Dirk is in one of those days, he'll get his no matter who's guarding him.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:14 PM
manu needs to rise to the challenge...he needs to not settle for jumper, just go to the basket...uffff....and now that he hurt himself..that's going to slow him down even more just like last year...

I think the game vs Trail Blazers was like the one he had last season against the Pacers in January...but if he is not more explosive, he will end up just like last year even may be worse.....

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Ariel that was once or twice,

Ariel
11-25-2006, 12:18 PM
manu needs to rise to the challenge...he needs to not settle for jumper, just go to the basket...uffff....and now that he hurt himself..that's going to slow him down even more just like last year...

I think the game vs Trail Blazers was like the one he had last season against the Pacers in January...but if he is not more explosive, he will end up just like last year even may be worse.....
If you want playoff Manu to be explosive, all the more reason to have regular season Manu play more conservatively. If he keeps bumping into people every single game, chances are he'll be worn down by the time the real season starts. I think it's a smart move, and I have no doubt he'll give everything he's got and then some when it's money time.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
But isn't that what manu did last season....and then i did not see Playoff manu show up during las season's playoffs

Ariel
11-25-2006, 12:28 PM
But isn't that what manu did last season....and then i did not see Playoff manu show up during las season's playoffs
No, Manu's playing style was as aggresive as usual during the last regular season, resulting in him being injured too frequently and preventing him from being in top form when the playoffs started. If you want Manu to be in top form for the playoffs, then you should understand him trying some changes to get there. I think it's a pretty straight forward reasoning.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:33 PM
well guess what if he get a couple more injuries...the season will be pretty much like last year.....but let's hope this does not happen

I don't know but if Manu gains a couple more pounds just to look like manu in 2005 may be if he grows his long hair something good might follow.

Ariel
11-25-2006, 12:39 PM
well guess what if he get a couple more injuries...the season will be pretty much like last year.....but let's hope this does not happen
The nature of the injuries of last season is different to this one, so no... and ultimately there is nothing one can do to guarantee complete absence of injury, but chances are if you're not bumping into people all the time they'll be less significant and less frequent.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:41 PM
The nature of the injuries of last season is different to this one, so no... and ultimately there is nothing one can do to guarantee complete absence of injury, but chances are if you're not bumping into people all the time they'll be less significant and less frequent.

True..........
Do you think Manu's going to miss the next couple of games....
You know, i watched the postgame interviews and Pop seemed really pissed off with manu's injury

ponky
11-25-2006, 12:43 PM
rivalry? i don't really see it as a rivalry, maybe matchup because someone has to match up against dirk, but certainly not a rivalry

oberto did what he was supposed to do but dirk made his shots anyway, just like most times duncan can't be guarded, too good a player

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:46 PM
true that but spurs as a team lacked defense the first quarter...

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
do y'all think that manu is going to miss the next game against the Sonics?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I prefer Elson on him.

ponky
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
do y'all think that manu is going to miss the next game against the Sonics?

i flipped out like that once right on my tailbone and the floor was concrete...i was out for the night and the next day but by the third day i was feeling a lot better, just sore and a bit bruised...manu's no doubt more athletic than me so he should be fine, break out the meds

T Park
11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I think the cirtique of Oberto's D on Dirk is not fair.

First half? yes gave him way to much room.

Second half though he defended pretty damn well.

He was in his face and he made tough shots, nothing you can do about it.

Elson isn't going to block his shot, so that point is moot.

Emanuel20
11-25-2006, 01:43 PM
i flipped out like that once right on my tailbone and the floor was concrete...i was out for the night and the next day but by the third day i was feeling a lot better, just sore and a bit bruised...manu's no doubt more athletic than me so he should be fine, break out the meds

Hopefully he feels better, b/c spurs need him...and i don't want Manu to feel like last year..scared to drive to the basket..........

phxspurfan
11-25-2006, 02:52 PM
revive the team defense and put a shot blocker (elson) in there. tell parker to stay in front of devin harris and distribute the ball or bench him and put in beno or manu or barry to play pg (since vaughn decided to be a hero with his 2 minutes instead of doing his job)

Dirk41MVP
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I thought you had a dirk-stopper in Elson, how come he didn't even play ?. ANd yeah as far as Dirk, he was leaving Oberto wide open and daring him to shoot while he helped on Duncan, thing is they apparently didn't read the scouting report and Oberto can/was hitting those short jumpers, by the time they started to defend him, he already had his points.

I'm not sure what "rivalry" there is between them. Dirk has always torched him, and it was no different tonight...

whottt
11-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Dirk still looks like he gets pissed at the mere thought of playing D...he has a disdain for it that's written all over his face...Oberto punked him every time he got lazy on D and thought he could get away with merely doing what he was supposed to do.

Oberto makes Dirk have to use both his body and his brain to play D....it's a good way to attack Dirk in lieu of anyone that can stop his 7 foot jump shooting ass.

I think we have signifigantly improved our matchup ability with Dirk, and Dirk was not the reason we lost last night, our offensive execution was...the Mavs did start out hot, but there's no stopping the Mavs going on a hot streak at some point during the game.

mavsfan1000
11-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Dirk still looks like he gets pissed at the mere thought of playing D...he has a disdain for it that's written all over his face...Oberto punked him every time he got lazy on D and thought he could get away with merely doing what he was supposed to do.

Oberto makes Dirk have to use both his body and his brain to play D....it's a good way to attack Dirk in lieu of anyone that can stop his 7 foot jump shooting ass.

I think we have signifigantly improved our matchup ability with Dirk, and Dirk was not the reason we lost last night, our offensive execution was...the Mavs did start out hot, but there's no stopping the Mavs going on a hot streak at some point during the game.
I totally disagree. Dirk had plenty of room to operate against Oberto. The shots that he missed looked very makeable. He could've had a better game. San Antonio has no Haslem or Shaq to play physical to Dirk.

whottt
11-26-2006, 03:14 AM
I totally disagree. Dirk had plenty of room to operate against Oberto. The shots that he missed looked very makeable. He could've had a better game. San Antonio has no Haslem or Shaq to play physical to Dirk.

Ehhh...Oberto's D tightened up....not that I was making a point about Oberto's D....I was making a point about his taking advantage of Dirk's D.

And Elson does play Dirk well.

And Horry did get kind of physical with him.

Making Dirk have to work on D is not something we did last year and since he is tough to stop, it is a way to tire him out.

mavsfan1000
11-26-2006, 03:24 AM
Ehhh...Oberto's D tightened up....not that I was making a point about Oberto's D....I was making a point about his taking advantage of Dirk's D.

And Elson does play Dirk well.

And Horry did get kind of physical with him.

Making Dirk have to work on D is not something we did last year and since he is tough to stop, it is a way to tire him out.
Uh Dirk had to chase either Bowen of Finley down every time on defense. Not the hardest assignment but Dirk had to make sure Bowen or Finley didn't get by him with their speed.

xamila rey
11-26-2006, 03:25 AM
I think we have signifigantly improved our matchup ability with Dirk, and Dirk was not the reason we lost last night, our offensive execution was....

i totally agree with u, Dirk was not the reason why we lost,
which is a big improvement from last seasson.

whottt
11-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Uh Dirk had to chase either Bowen of Finley down every time on defense.

Um Bowen is not part of that equation...his offensive game inside the 3 point line is virtually non-existent.

Not the hardest assignment but Dirk had to make sure Bowen or Finley didn't get by him with their speed.

And still had to contend with MbBenga, Diop or Dampier...that's not the case with Oberto and Oberto is money near that basket if no one is on him. He's also a natural garbage man. The matchup has changed and Dirk is going to have to play better D, and box out, you know, all the stuff a real bigman does...please don't think that because our coach is a dumbass you now know more than you used to.

Spurs lost because of their offense and because the Mavs were hot from 3.....period.

T Park
11-26-2006, 03:56 AM
please don't think that because our coach is a dumbass you now know more than you used to.

so does the team win in spite of the coach?

mavsfan1000
11-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Um Bowen is not part of that equation...his offensive game inside the 3 point line is virtually non-existent.

And still had to contend with MbBenga, Diop or Dampier...that's not the case with Oberto and Oberto is money near that basket if no one is on him. He's also a natural garbage man. The matchup has changed and Dirk is going to have to play better D, and box out, you know, all the stuff a real bigman does...please don't think that because our coach is a dumbass you now know more than you used to.

Spurs lost because of their offense and because the Mavs were hot from 3.....period.

Dirk was helping out on defense a lot. That's the risk Dirk took to not allow uncontested shots and to help Diop and Dampier. Dirk couldn't do that with Bowen because Bowen would drain 3's on him. So I guess Dirk can't just fall asleep on Oberto but he is closer to Duncan which will occasionally allow him to double team or help out.

whottt
11-26-2006, 04:00 AM
so does the team win in spite of the coach?

Horry, Vaughn, Oberto, Bowen and Finley. Period.

The person responsible for that steaming pile of crap lost the game when he nuked our ability to have any form of offensive output.

There's no defending that TPark...so don't even try.

whottt
11-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Dirk was helping out on defense a lot. That's the risk Dirk took to not allow uncontested shots and to help Diop and Dampier. Dirk couldn't do that with Bowen because Bowen would drain 3's on him. So I guess Dirk can't just fall asleep on Oberto but he is closer to Duncan which will occasionally allow him to double team or help out.

And if Dirk is helping, the board is Oberto's....which is going to equal 2 points most of the time and fix another one of our problems from last years playoffs....rebounding.

Say whatever you want but Oberto shot about 80% in that game and there was a reason for it that's going to equal Dirk expending more energy on D.

And the Spurs were the #1 3 shooting team in the NBA...don't expect us to shoot 25% the next time around.

Just be glad our coach put that insanely bad lineup on the floor to start the 4th....that created an offensive disarray from which we never completely recovered...and it also helped remove the boot from your throats.

mavsfan1000
11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Yeah Dirk's not going to totally commit to doubling Duncan but the spacing isn't as good and open for Duncan as it would be if there was an outside threat Dirk had to guard. The Spurs scored more points with that small lineup.

xamila rey
11-26-2006, 04:22 AM
hard to tell when the difference at the end of the game is only 2 or 3 points,
personally i dont like small ball

whottt
11-26-2006, 04:23 AM
Yeah Dirk's not going to totally commit to doubling Duncan but the spacing isn't as good and open for Duncan as it would be if there was an outside threat Dirk had to guard. The Spurs scored more points with that small lineup.

They'll just double off of someone else...which should lead to better than 25% 3 shooting.

Look at the fact that you guys played nearly a perfect game and had to rely on our coach, traditional FT woes, and an off 3 point shooting night to win....

If I didn't know better I'd swear Pop intentionally made it difficult for his own team to win...I think he wanted a reason to bitch and to start pounding his defense rock.