PDA

View Full Version : Richards being sued?

Jamtas#2
11-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Story here (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061124/D8LJNIB00.html)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Two men who say they were insulted by actor-comedian Michael Richards during his racist rant at a comedy club want a personal apology and maybe some money, their lawyer said Friday.

The men, Frank McBride and Kyle Doss, said they were part of a group of about 20 people who had gathered at West Hollywood's Laugh Factory to celebrate a friend's birthday. According to their attorney, Gloria Allred, they were ordering drinks when Richards berated them for interrupting his act.

When one of their group replied that he wasn't funny, Richards launched into a string of obscenities and repeatedly used the n-word. A video cell phone captured the outburst.

Richards, who played Jerry Seinfeld's wacky neighbor Kramer on the TV sitcom "Seinfeld," made a nationally televised apology on David Letterman's "Late Night" show earlier this week. He has since apologized to civil rights leaders the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

But Allred complained Friday that he "has not apologized to his victims directly, face to face, man to man."

Richards' publicist said his client wants to apologize to both men, who are black, but hasn't been able to locate them.

Allred, speaking by phone from Colorado, said Richards should meet McBride and Doss in front of a retired judge to "acknowledge his behavior and to apologize to them" and allow the judge to decide on monetary compensation.

"It's not enough to say 'I'm sorry,'" she said.

She did not mention a specific figure, but pitched the idea as a way for the comic to avoid a lawsuit.

"Our clients were vulnerable," Allred said. "He went after them. He singled them out and he taunted them, and he did it in a closed room where they were captive."

The video of Richards' outburst shows several people getting up and walking out as he shouts at the audience.

Richards' publicist said the comic wasn't considering any demand for payment. "He's not dealing with that," Howard Rubenstein said. "He wants to apologize to them directly and then see what happens."

In my opinion this could create a huge slippery slope. While what Richards said was inexcusable, racist and a complete career killer, it was not illegal. If a $ settlement arises because the hecklers felt like they were singled out, does that mean that the person who Barbara Streisand singled out at her concert is now due financial compensation from Barbara? I think Allred has hit a new low in her pursuit of more TV time. How can people be captives when people are shown leaving the theatre on the video?

jochhejaam
11-25-2006, 12:09 PM
"It's not enough to say 'I'm sorry,'" she said.

She did not mention a specific figure, but pitched the idea as a way for the comic to avoid a lawsuit.

[B]"Our clients were vulnerable," Allred said. "He went after them. He singled them out and he taunted them, and he did it in a closed room where they were captive."

Richard's words were inexcusable, and his career's over, but an apology with his wallet? :lol

No amount of money can rectify what happened. It won't restore Kramer's image one iota, and the African American community, with the exception of those receiving money, wouldn't and shouldn't be at all comforted or pacified by a monetary award to the targets of Kramers profane tirade.

Fine and Court cost? $0
Future earnings by Kramer? $0
The lawyer for the defendants calling them "captive", insinuating they were prisoners? Priceless!

2centsworth
11-25-2006, 12:10 PM
sleezy lawyers.

Spurminator
11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
This is a great way to take an incident almost everyone agrees was highly inappropriate and turn it into another racially divisive issue.

Thanks again, Gloria Allred, you despicable cunt.

cornbread
11-25-2006, 02:38 PM
If I had dollar for everytime somebody insulted me...

Bob Lanier
11-25-2006, 02:56 PM
There's absolutely zero chance that the hypothetical lawsuit is successful, but if they want to try it it's their money to waste.

They do deserve an apology, though, so I'm having trouble caring.

Phil Hellmuth
11-25-2006, 03:45 PM
F those hecklers. And F Kramer too.

both of them are proving they are scumbags.

xrayzebra
11-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I feel so insulted by people like these. Anyone know
a sleazy lawyer that will take my case.

Heckle someone and your are open to being heckled back, that is the rules.

The "N" word, on my. If a honky uses it, it is bad, if
a black uses it it can mean friendship or a slap in the
face. I have heard many blacks (a misnomer) use it
in arguments.

Okay, now you liberals can call me a bigot and a racist
or whatever. I am too damn old to worry about it. I
can still remember when blacks, African Americans or
whatever was called Negro's. Which still seems more
appropriate than the other tags they want to put on
themselves. I just thought they were Americans, since
they were born here.

Wonder if they would want to sue if he called them
Assholes, or SOB's or persons of questionable parentage?

Zunni
11-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Richards is an ass. These people have just proved that they are, too.

cherylsteele
11-26-2006, 10:09 AM
If they are suing because of insults then Don Rickles would constantly be broke or in court.

mikejones99
11-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Kramer will still make millions. that whore lawyer should be shot and at comedy clubs any words go, so sit in your seat and shut the fuck up. When you get really mad at someone or they wrong you, you too, might call them anything you think will make them the angriest.

Clandestino
11-27-2006, 08:05 AM
was there ever any doubt as to their character? they were heckling the show and probably ruining it for everyone. they got what they deserved