PDA

View Full Version : NBATV 12:00PM - 1:30PM Efes Pilsen vs. Tau Ceramica

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 01:17 PM
If you guys want to take a look at Luis Scola. Looks like he's trying to develop a jumpshot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 01:51 PM
7/9 for 15 points. He got hurt in the 1st quarter but it he's still playing and looks really good.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
He knows how to get open like Oberto. He's passing well too.

SAtown
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
What the heck are those loud horns playing over the PA. Is that the buzzer?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Yup.

T Park
11-25-2006, 02:29 PM
With Oberto's progression, Im a little more interested in Scola.

If Scola can copy Oberto's efforts defensively and on the rebounding side, then he will be worth the money he wants.

whottt
11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Scola's not as tough as Oberto, not as good defensively, not as good of a rebounder.

The reason guys like me and TimVP wanted Oberto starting last year(and in my case wanted Oberto signed instead, the year we went after Rasho) is that Oberto's game isn't really predicated on athleticism....Scola's game isn't really predicated on athleticism either but the best part of his game can be stopped by athleticism...and will likely be.

I'll say right now that IMO, Oberto's game transfers better to the NBA than Scola's. To me this was obvious back in 02 and 04.

Those that were sitting in Spurs draft chats back in the day know I wanted Oberto over Rasho after the 03 title. His game translates well to the NBA...it just took Pop a while to realize it.

I just don't see Scola being much more than a slightly above average post scorer, who can't play anything other than PF, with a feisty attitude, in the NBA...

Not what the Spurs need, but IMO, he can be traded for what the Spurs need.

Still, I do think Oberto's success will increase Scola's value...and I hope the Spurs capitalize on that to fill needs on our current title contender.

The Bulls have several long SF's that would take the Spurs to an even higher level than they are now.

If we can pull Deng, Nocioni, Kyrhapa or Thomas out of them...any of them, for Scola, it would be awesome for this team and pretty much close off any weaknesses it has.

I'm thinking there was a reason the Bulls gave Kyrhapa 19 minutes of playing time against the Spurs last week...I think it was to let the Spurs get a real good look at him.

This guy is a good player. I'll be very happy if the Spurs can trade Scola for him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Then who plays PF next season if we trade him for a small forward? I don't think Javtokas or Mahinmi are ready.

whottt
11-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Um...Tim Duncan would be my pick, but I'm quirky like that :rolleyes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Backup stupid.

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Um....what I said wasn't stupid...

Worrying about a back up for the most dominant player on the team at the expense of our biggest need is stupid.

How about Oberto at back up PF...or Elson...it's not fucking brain surgery to fill that 10 mins per game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Oberto is our starting center and Elson is the backup. Pop puts them both on the floor every once in a while, so they should still be careful and pick up a backup PF. That can be Scola. Duncan averages 34 minutes per game. I don't mind Scola playing about 14.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Hopefully Butler is able to play next year. Otherwise it's a deep draft next summer and there will likely be some bargains in free agency. Justin Williams and Andre Brown had good starts in the D-League last night. Backup PFs are much easier to find than long SFs.

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Oberto is our starting center and Elson is the backup. Pop puts them both on the floor every once in a while, so they should still be careful and pick up a backup PF. That can be Scola. Duncan averages 34 minutes per game. I don't mind Scola playing about 14.

Let's see....if Elson and Oberto are in the game at the same time, what does that mean to you?

Guess that means one of them is backing Duncan up. Sheeit...how did that happen?

I see your logic...it's more important to have a guy who's job can be done by at least 3 players on our current team than it is to have a guy who's job is done by no one on our current team.

Not to interrupt your genius throught processes here...but Khyrapa could pull minutes at the PF too, unlike Scola who is never going to pull minutes at anything other than backup PF...and he's got more NBA experience than Scola, he's also a better defensive player.

Bruno
11-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't forget Bonner.
He will be a restricted free agent this summer and likely won't be expensive given that he is at the end of the bench.

Khryapa is the kind of player I'd like to get but I think that Spurs can get slighty more than Khryapa for Scola.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Well we DO live by defense...

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Is there any other higher-than-average small forwards other the Krhyapa?

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Speaking of long threes, I just read that Coach Johnson is going to play Jamar Smith at the three this season. That'll be great for his chances in the NBA. I wonder if the Spurs had any contact with DJ or he's just dealing with a horribly imbalanced roster. The Toros start their home games tonight. I think they are going to suck badly until they find someone who can run the offense. if we sent down James White today, he'd be their starting point guard.

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm not too impressed with Bonner...still TimVP likes him and I'll give TimVP the benefit of the doubt on this one since I've never actually paid much attention to Bonner.

I do like like Khyrapa however and think he is going to turn into a far better NBA player than Scola, I think he'll also be better than most Spurs and Bulls fans think he will...

He can pass, defend and rebound at a very high level. And his shooting is not that bad. He's not as good of a shooter as Bonner but he's a hell of a lot quicker.

I see Kyrhapa as being a guy who can shoot, pass, rebound, defend and even average over a block and a steal per game. IOW, everything you could want in a long SF. I think he's going to wind up a far better player than Scola or Bonner will ever be.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
2007 FA'S Small Forwards
Luke Walton
Gerald Wallace
Andres Nocioni
Austin Croshere
Jerry Stackhouse
Sasha Pavlovic
Rawle Marshall
Yaroslav Korolev
Quinton Ross
James Posey
Ruben Patterson
Desmond Mason
Linton Johnson
Jumaine Jones
Corliss Williamson
Ime Udoka
Stephen Graham
Travis Outlaw
Morris Peterson
CJ Miles
Jarvis Hayes
DeShawn Stevenson

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:36 PM
BTW, I think the Spurs plan on using Mahinimi quite a bit at PF when they eventually bring him over. It won't surprise me if the Spurs bring him over next season. I know he's not playing as well as we all wanted, but I can see Pop wanting to develop him hands on if he's got the talent and size to play in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 04:38 PM
There's like six players on that list who might fit the bill, but only like three that are unrestricted.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I want Gerald Wallace.

Bruno
11-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Pop has said that he thinks that Mahinmi will mainly play PF in nba.

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Out of the realistic options....I wouldn't mind Posey.

timvp
11-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Bonner has been decent so far on the Spurs. Nothing spectacular and he doesn't deserve more minutes than he's gotten. If he can pick up the defense and rebound better, he could be a player for the Spurs. If he can't, he didn't really cost the Spurs anything.

Viktor Khryapa is a very nice prospect. He's basically a poor man's Andrei Kirilenko. He has good basketball instincts, but he might not have enough offensive game to last in the league. But yeah, he's on a team overloaded at long small forwards so he'll need to get traded to get a real shot.

Scola is still an interesting prospect. I've watched him play a lot but it's hard to tell how he'd translate to the NBA. My guess is that if he goes to a team dying for a post player, he could start and average something like 13 and 7. It doesn't really seem like he has a spot on the Spurs, especially considering that Jackie Butler is like the center version of him.

whottt
11-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Whoever put Corliss Williamson on that list was mean...

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
This guy is playing basketball again:

http://www.nba.com/media/act_eddie_robinson.jpg

I won't see him til around new years, but he led all scorers his first game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2006, 04:44 PM
:lol

velik_m
11-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Sanikidze didn't look half bad last time i saw him, he needs some muscle, but his stroke looked suprisingly good.

timvp
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Sanikidze didn't look half bad last time i saw him, he needs some muscle, but his stroke looked suprisingly good.

Nice.

Anyone have any updated stats for him?

Bruno
11-25-2006, 04:59 PM
domestic league (http://www.acb.com/stspartidojug.php?cod_jugador=BCJ&cod_competicion=LACB&cod_edicion=51)

european competition (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_f43ulKJBGLcVnbH-aqLVu2.playerID_45506.compID_BYg5Rb55Jw-G5I3MZ6JB01.season_2007.roundID_5088.teamID_1452.h tml)

timvp
11-25-2006, 05:01 PM
domestic league (http://www.acb.com/stspartidojug.php?cod_jugador=BCJ&cod_competicion=LACB&cod_edicion=51)

european competition (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_f43ulKJBGLcVnbH-aqLVu2.playerID_45506.compID_BYg5Rb55Jw-G5I3MZ6JB01.season_2007.roundID_5088.teamID_1452.h tml)

Damn, he's lighting it up.

:drunk

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, looks like he and Ian moved up a bit too quickly. Hope it doesnt hurt their development.

Bruno
11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
BTW, Mahinmi has signed a two years contract with pau and not an one year contract as it was first reported (but he has likely the option to leave Pau for the nba this summer). I've heard him too saying that he has some difficulties to understand what his coach wants from him.

Sanikidze has too signed a two years contract, I guess that he will have more playtime next year.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
I find it encouraging that Dennis Johnson seems to be doing exactly what the Spurs want with Smith, that might bode well for future dealings with the Toros should they choose to send anyone down. Since his team probably isn't going to go anywhere, it's smart for him to stress player development this season. He's got his work cut out for him.

timvp
11-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I find it encouraging that Dennis Johnson seems to be doing exactly what the Spurs want with Smith, that might bode well for future dealings with the Toros should they choose to send anyone down. Since his team probably isn't going to go anywhere, it's smart for him to stress player development this season. He's got his work cut out for him.

Woah, you weren't lying about not having a point guard. What's the projected starting lineup of that team?

Only future NBA player I see is perhaps Smith, but even that's a longshot.

velik_m
11-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Damn, he's lighting it up.

He won't be your next Manu, that for sure. But the boy has game, he has NBA potential. His stats do look bad, but stats are not everything. Anyway, i just saw one game. This board needs more spanish fans.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Woah, you weren't lying about not having a point guard. What's the projected starting lineup of that team?They already got beat badly last night, but there's no boxscore (one of the big lights in Abuquerque's equivalent of Freeman Colosseum exploded, delaying the game for almost an hour). I'm assuming the starting frontcourt will be:

C - Scott Merritt
PF - Brad Buckman
SF - Jamar Smith

Haven't a clue about the backcourt. My guess is Kris Clack at the two and maybe BJ Elder at the point, which is pretty awful. I still have no idea where our decent point guards from last season ended up. Daruis Washington got a deal from Italy the day before training camp started.

whottt
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
So can the Spurs snag Justin Williams out of the D-League if another team is sponsoring him or something? I don't think he was drafted but I'm not sure of the rules if he's playing there at the request of another team or something.

I'd love to get that shotblocking on the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes, any team can get Williams -- or Louis Amundson for that matter. Both were waived before the season. Only one guy has been sent down so far: Ryan Hollins from Charlotte.

whottt
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Cool...I'd like to see the Spurs take notice of Williams.

Since Eric Williams didn't get any pt last nigth I can't see the Spurs having plans for him...waive him and get Justin as a project.

His shotblocking isn't a project....

timvp
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
They already got beat badly last night, but there's no boxscore (one of the big lights in Abuquerque's equivalent of Freeman Colosseum exploded, delaying the game for almost an hour). I'm assuming the starting frontcourt will be:

C - Scott Merritt
PF - Brad Buckman
SF - Jamar Smith

Haven't a clue about the backcourt. My guess is Kris Clack at the two and maybe BJ Elder at the point, which is pretty awful. I still have no idea where our decent point guards from last season ended up. Daruis Washington got a deal from Italy the day before training camp started.

So Derrick Zimmerman just vanished?

Perhaps they are waiting for John Lucas III to be sent to Austin. Or perhaps, if they get lucky, Rajon Rondo. But Lucas III would be a really nice addition. He'd probably end up the best PG in the league.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
So Derrick Zimmerman just vanished?As did Quannas White, who was the USBL player of the year this past summer. Odd.
Perhaps they are waiting for John Lucas III to be sent to Austin. Or perhaps, if they get lucky, Rajon Rondo.They were counting on Washington and are now just screwed, really. I think Houston has too many injuries to send anyone down this season. Boston might send Allan Ray, but I wouldn't expect Rondo.
Since Eric Williams didn't get any pt last nigth I can't see the Spurs having plans for him...waive him and get Justin as a project.I think we'd keep Eric Williams until the trade deadline just in case, then maybe Justin Williams, Amundson or Jamar if he's doing well at the three. Plenty of time.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Ah, just found out: Zimmerman is on a German team with Adam Harrington, Vince Yarbrough and De Juan Collins.

zwbgr
11-26-2006, 06:26 AM
2007 FA'S Small Forwards
Luke Walton
Gerald Wallace
Andres Nocioni
Austin Croshere
Jerry Stackhouse
Sasha Pavlovic
Rawle Marshall
Yaroslav Korolev
Quinton Ross