PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe Enjoyed Thanksgiving

timvp
11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Perhaps a little too much.

J.R. Smith, Nuggets: Overloaded with big men, getting Smith for Ruben Patterson made perfect sense if Smith proved able to provide the perimeter threat that had been missing from the Nuggets' attack last season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112606.10C.COL.BKNmonroe.2d17e42.html

The Nuggets traded Ruben Patterson for Joe Smith. The Nuggets go JR Smith for Howard Eisley and draft picks.

The Nuggets, who beat the Warriors 140-129 on Friday, hadn't scored so many points in a non-overtime game since 1991. They had not had as many assists (42) since 1990. Common denominator in those benchmarks? Coach Paul Westhead, whose fast pace-no defense approach was dubbed "crap-a-doodle" by Hall of Fame coach Alex Hannum. Westhead's Nuggets were the Magic's opponent in 1990 when Scott Skiles set an record for single-game assists (31) in a game I covered. After the game, Nuggets guard Walter Davis grabbed me and demanded I expose Westhead's system as fatally flawed. "Scott Skiles just got 31 assists," Davis moaned. "Scott Skiles!"

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112606.10C.BKNnbabeat.notebook.2d17e5c.html

All well and good, but Skiles had 30 assists.

Although Elie didn't come to the Spurs until he was 35, and after eight NBA seasons, what he brought with him played a vital role in the team's first NBA title run: NBA Finals experience and a toughness under pressure that can't be taught. Elie averaged 9.7 points in his first season with the Spurs, the lockout-shortened 1999 season that culminated in the first championship in club history. He was a key contributor off the bench in the playoff run, too, hitting some big 3-point shots on the way to the title. His leadership skills were such that he moved to the Spurs' bench as an assistant coach when his playing career ended.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112606.10C.BKNspurs.top30.2d17eb6.html

Yeah, um, Elie was a starter.

Next year I'm eating Thanksgiving at the Monroe's :drunk :drunk

T Park
11-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Elie started the season as a bench player.

So hes, somewhat, kind of, ok not really right.

baseline bum
11-26-2006, 01:44 AM
LOL... for some reason I'm thinking Mario was moved to the starting lineup in that game vs Utah @ the Alomodome where the team got their asses handed to them on NBC, and then Mario got mad as fuck, was thrown out of the game, and then started talking shit about Tim and Dave to the media. That's gotta be my favorite Spurs loss of all time, because right after Mario called Tim and Dave bitches to the world, they went and destroyed the rest of the league every night from there on out... but I know JJ was the opening night starter, and Mario started every playoff game. I think he's still my favorite Spur not named Tim, Dave, Ice, Sean, or AJ.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-26-2006, 02:05 AM
and that's what we're severely lacking this year and last year

A player that is not the coach who is willing to light a fire under these guys

I thought it was great of Horry to give a small lecture on the importance of being prepared for this season after our playoff exit..........but then he started playing and isn't exactly leading by example

alamo50
11-26-2006, 04:50 AM
This is ridiculous too:

"6. Rockets (5) They drop a spot because Nate Robinson blocked shot by Yao"

I know it's supposed to be funny for lack of usefullness, but it's just not.

polandprzem
11-26-2006, 08:36 AM
LOL... for some reason I'm thinking Mario was moved to the starting lineup in that game vs Utah @ the Alomodome where the team got their asses handed to them on NBC, and then Mario got mad as fuck, was thrown out of the game, and then started talking shit about Tim and Dave to the media. That's gotta be my favorite Spurs loss of all time, because right after Mario called Tim and Dave bitches to the world, they went and destroyed the rest of the league every night from there on out... but I know JJ was the opening night starter, and Mario started every playoff game. I think he's still my favorite Spur not named Tim, Dave, Ice, Sean, or AJ.

And I remember that Pop was one loss of losing a head coach job

FromWayDowntown
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM

Actually, Elie moved into the starting lineup about a week before that, for an afternoon game at the Dome against Detroit (http://www.basketball-reference.com/games/boxscore.cgi?date=1999-02-21&tm1=SAS&tm2=DET). The Utah game that everyone remembers so fondly was on 2/28/99, so he had been starting for about a week when that happened.

I have no idea how a sportswriter in San Antonio could write a column proposing that Elie came off the bench in 1999; I also have no idea how such a column could get past a sports editor in San Antonio. Surely, the E-N maintains some institutional knowledge about the team it covers closest.