PDA

View Full Version : Hope Judson loses in playoffs!!!

rr2418
11-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Because they're not a SA school. I support only SA schools. Besides, I remember when Judson used to be called San Antonio Judson back when they were class 3 or 4A. Then their enrollment grew, and they had more kids to choose from, so therefore their teams got better.
Suddenly they wanted to be refered to as Converse Judson.

On the bright side, Wagner High will open next year, which will probably cut Judson's enrollment in half.

samikeyp
11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
I have no problem with them being called Converse Judson...but they should be left off of the San Antonio All-City team. (yes I know its "Greater San Antonio...doesn't mean I have to like it)

atlfan25
11-03-2004, 10:16 PM
do you hope o'connor loses too in the playoffs since they are in helotes and alamo heights? or is this just a judson hate thing.
if it was just a san antonio all city team then it loses significance cuz then it would be much easier to get in. and the players in surrounding area schools(judson, smithson valley, east central, clemens, boerne, etc.) need that type of recognition as well.

scott
11-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Judson is up there with Permian and Plano as one of the greatest Texas High School Football programs... why all the hate?

Goddess Spur
11-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I follow and love Judson as much as I do the Spurs, so I think your wish for them to lose in the playoffs isn't happening anytime soon. :smokin And the "they have more kids to choose from" argument is old. If that were true, all the big schools would be winning championships all the time.

samikeyp
11-04-2004, 12:41 AM
my only issue was that some people from Judson would bitch if they were mistakenly referred to as "San Antonio Judson". But I know it wasn't all Judson fans. Personally I root for all area teams in the playoffs, RR was the one with the "hate"

BTW, O'Connor is technically in the SA city limits.

atlfan25
11-04-2004, 12:45 AM
not according to northside isd
http://nisd.net/schools/information/index.php?type=High

3rdCoast
11-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Fuck Converse Judson!

samikeyp
11-04-2004, 12:54 AM
ahh...shows you what I know! :)

3rdCoast
11-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Regardless of where O'Connor is located - in the city limits or not - Fuck Judson. I have hated Judson since I was in middle school. I hate their attitude, their smugness, the way they think they are had asses cuz they get to choose from 5000 kids. Fuck them hardcore, I seriously hate their programs.

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Wow, tell us how you really feel. Like I said in my previous post, it's not about how many kids you have, but what you do with them. When has Judson ever been arrogant? Perhaps you've encountered fans that are that way, and I won't deny they're out there, but I haven't seen it so much from the players or coaches.

3rdCoast
11-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Do you really , honestly want to know about this crap that I know about the players and coaches? Never mind, I am not going to argue or spread the dirty laundry out anymore in public. All I will say is that if Judson was an average 5A school enrollment wise with the rest of the SA area schools, they wouldnt have half as many titles as they got now.

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, if you have proof, then go ahead, by all means. Oh, here's the top 10 schools in the state in population:

Conroe The Woodlands 4918
Converse Judson 4864
La Joya 4814
Dallas Skyline 4415
Spring Westfield 4188
Houston Memorial 4115
Victoria Memorial 4115
Humble 4104
Alief Elsik 4062
Allen 3949

How many of those schools have multiple state titles besides Judson?

Drachen
11-04-2004, 02:49 AM
GOOOO Rockets and go Kirby :lol (I lived a mile away from judson for the first 14 years of my life and went to Kirby up to 8th grade)

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Kirby? Psh, go Kitty Hawk. :lol

Drachen
11-04-2004, 03:02 AM
No way, its all about the blue and white!!!
;)

are there anymore Junior High schools in the district now?? (I havent lived in Converse in awhile)

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Yeah, there's Woodlake Middle School now. Actually, they added 6th grade to all of them my freshman year in high school (about 1996).

Drachen
11-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Oh is woodlakes team anygood or does kirby get to retain its absolute dominance... as far as the 6th grade thing, I know that the used to have them at kirby before, but your telling me they went back to having it again. Oh well, no more Kirby junior high, now its a middle school. :)

BTW about the dominance thing, I am just messin with you I dont care that much about JH football, I am just channeling my 8th grade self. :lol

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 03:20 AM
I've heard they were pretty good, but I'm not quite since I don't really follow it, either. So it's all good. :lol I'm just a long time Rocket fan.

Drachen
11-04-2004, 03:21 AM
yep, even when I moved to NEISD I had to represent. It was dangerous sitting on the Churchill side w/my friends, cheering for judson!

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 03:23 AM
Oh, but I bet it was fun. :)

Drachen
11-04-2004, 03:25 AM
well all but once, Judson did win so it was fun, I almost didnt get a ride back from Converse because I rode there with my friends, and they were angry at all my . . . well we will call it smacktalking. (BTW I lived in encino park at 281 and 1604, so it woulda been quite a walk)

Drachen
11-04-2004, 03:29 AM
been great talking judson w/ya but gotta go to bed! g'night

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 03:30 AM
Ahh. :lol My dad and brother take me to games so thankfully, that's something I don't have to worry about. Night. :)

samikeyp
11-04-2004, 09:22 AM
It is nice to see others here with a similar passion for high school football. for awhile...it was just me. welcome!

3rdCoast
11-04-2004, 12:15 PM
JISD has 4 middle schools, the newest is Metzger. It opened this year.
http://www.judson.k12.tx.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=2375

Goddess Spur
11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Mikey.. now you have company. :) In some ways I actually enjoy high school football more than college or pro, but I don't really know why. Never knew about that 4th middle school, though.

Drachen
11-04-2004, 04:42 PM
I enjoy HS football, but my favorite is college, I could care less about the NFL

samikeyp
11-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I enjoy all levels. To me, HS football is the last level where the sport is still pure. The NFL is a business and major college football is the same. Small college football and High School are the last levels where its more about team and school.

manustarting2gd
11-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Judson should have its own Friday Night Lights being the most hated school in Texas.. I have Permian people hating on me just cause I graduated from the Red and Gray...I didnt even play football mind you. I know how the Lakers and Yanks feel..lol

Drachen
11-11-2004, 12:29 AM
well that stadium is big enough for a friday night lights type movie.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-11-2004, 12:40 AM
It's all about the...

http://www.nisd.net/holmes/extracurr/athletics/athlogo.gif

...and two of its greatest graduates...Chris Duel and yours truly.

rr2418
11-11-2004, 12:50 AM
RR was the one with the "hate"

I never used the word "hate". I just won't root for them. There are kids who lie about their residence just to go there when they could be helping the schools they're suppose to be going to. I would've liked to see Rudledge coach a Kenedy, Tech, or how about a Memorial team. Wonder how well he would've done!

It is true though, Judson fans didn't want to be referred to as "San Antonio Judson" once they became a power.

samikeyp
11-11-2004, 01:02 AM
yeah JB....Holmes hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a few years. :p

You are right rr...Scott used "hate" that is why I referred to it in quotes since it was implied. My issue is that Judson people get pissed when someone calls them "San Antonio Judson" usually because they are mistaken..then those same Judson people call themselves "city champions" if they are the last team left. You are city champions...City of Converse. Civic pride is great but don't make it selective. The city champion is the last SAN ANTONIO team left. That being said...I root for any area team when it goes against a non-area team.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Lamest (and funniest) thread ever.

Man, I haven't thought about this shit for at least a decade. If you are as old as I am you should be ashamed of yourself.

As much as you guys seem to think that the Judson kids are arrogant or whatever, from what I remember we thought pretty much the same about those from Churchill, Clark, Mac, Marshall, etc...

I recall once when Judson played a certain Northside school's team and some of the opposing kids were throwing pennies at the Judson faithful. That sounds fairly arrogant to me. You can chalk it up to youthful exuberance but shit like that starts at home. Anyways, we laughed it off because we had dolla bills and the scoreboard. Funny thing is, this is the first time I have thought about it since I actually left high school.

If I am not mistaken the reason "Converse Judson" came about was in part because once upon a time Converse, Kirby, and UC were some distance from the rest of metro SA and also probably due to some animosity (real or perceived) directed towards the 'country school' from certain parts of San Antonio's established northside in the 70s/80s. Also, of course, not much else was or is exactly going on in Converse and by proxy Universal City and Kirby. When I was there we certainly didn't believe we were not part of "SA" and that was a decade ago. More than anything it's tradition which keeps that phrase alive.

Anyways, the fortunes of one's high school alma mater's football team means zilch with respect to what you do with your life, so get some fucking perspective if you are over the age of 18.

But if you must think about it, well I am glad it pisses you off so. ;)

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Anyways, the fortunes of one's high school alma mater's football team means zilch with respect to what you do with your life, so get some fucking perspective if you are over the age of 18.

So does cheering for a professional basketball team, but we don't see you shying away from that.

For someone so learned in the history and culture of San Antonio and South Texas, it's tough to realize you don't see the enjoyment many people get from watching football (especially high school).

But since you don't, I'll be happy to remind you to "get some fucking perspective" anytime you post in the Spurs or NBA forums, okay.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 09:22 AM
So does cheering for a professional basketball team, but we don't see you shying away from that.

You ignore the "professional" aspect of that. Plus I don't believe I've suggested that the pro franchise one follows matters at all. Perhaps somewhere people are indignant over the fact that the MLB's Rangers referred to as being from "Texas" instead of "Dallas." Ditto for the NBA's Warriors.

What happens in high school, stays in high school.

For someone so learned in the history and culture of San Antonio and South Texas, it's tough to realize you don't see the enjoyment many people get from watching football (especially high school).

Oh I realize it exists. That, in and of itself, does not make it any less than what I think it is.

But since you don't, I'll be happy to remind you to "get some fucking perspective" anytime you post in the Spurs or NBA forums, okay.

Sooner or later you'll snap out of it kiddo.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Actually, you DID say "the fortunes of..."

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Same difference.

jalbre6
11-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Doesn't Clemens refer to itself as Schertz Clemens anyway? By that way of thinking, that v-bookie bet has nothing to do with San Antonio.

Just because they identify theirselves with the suburbs and not with the metro area doesn't mean you can't consider them "city champions". You don't think Katy isn't considered Houston or Plano considered Dallas? Round Rock considered Austin?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-11-2004, 09:42 AM
"The fortunes of..." and the locale of the team are the same thing? "Fortunes of..." would imply following the winning/losing as well as other components.

So not only are you taking them to task over the reference of San Antonio v. Converse, but it seems as if you are also faulting them for simply having a rooting interest in the outcomes of their games.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 09:50 AM
"The fortunes of..." and the locale of the team are the same thing? "Fortunes of..." would imply following the winning/losing as well as other components.

I'm a Spurs fan no matter how they fare. It's entertainment, but it's entertainment of a certain quality, much like the other pro sport leagues.

If you want to say that some follow high school football because they like football well it isn't exactly of a high quality to watch. If one says they prefer amateurs to pros well there is always the NCAA. Usually those who follow high school football are friends of players, family, those who are actually enrolled in the high school, and those who, um, never left.

Someone who is a classical music fan doesn't go to listen to the local high school band play. If they are a fan of the theatre, a basketball fan, etc...it's the same thing.

So not only are you taking them to task over the reference of San Antonio v. Converse, but it seems as if you are also faulting them for simply having a rooting interest in the outcomes of their games.

Pretty much.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
You may find it hard to believe, but I'm with you in the sense that I haven't simply followed my team too much other than to look at the score online or in Saturday's/Sunday's paper.

I've attended two games since I left high school. One was when my then-girlfriend's team played mine the year after I left (her senior year) and one was when I was bored last season and saw they were playing five minutes away from me.

I also don't think those with a rooting interest in their alma mater should be taken to task over the fact that they'd like to watch a game. Nobody's going into Clemens v. Judson expecting to see the Patriots v. Eagles.

Remember, most of them also follow their teams whether they win or lose. Just because they're not there anymore doesn't mean they can't wish those that follow them well.

When I leave Texas State, I'll still look in and see how they're doing in athletics. Hell, I'll still look in and see how The University Star is doing.

Which reminds me, I have an assignment for today. Good talk.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Well, you do seem to get it.

samikeyp
11-11-2004, 10:20 AM
As much as you guys seem to think that the Judson kids are arrogant or whatever, from what I remember we thought pretty much the same about those from Churchill, Clark, Mac, Marshall, etc...

leave it to MB to drop the ignorant blanket statement. never once did I say Judson was arrogant or anything like that. I merely stated an opinion. Its not that I "hate" people from Judson who yell "city champion" it just bugs me. Not even as seriously as it did in high school. Just gave my 2 cents like everyone else did. I noticed you also missed the part where I said I root for any area team when they play teams from outside the area. I am probably as old as you are Marcus and while I pull for my alma mater when they play, its not life or death like you implied. Its just sports, if you think its life or death...you have a problem.

jalbre6
11-11-2004, 10:26 AM
When I was in college, I remember that my HS made the state finals on a forfeit. I guess that was five years ago. I think that was the last time that I actually looked for news coverage on them. Then again, if I lived in the SA area I'd probably check out the blurb Saturday mornings when reading the sports page.

I think it's cool that people still follow their high school's football team. I care a lot more about my university's team, but that's just a preference. It's just not my cup o' tea.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 10:32 AM
leave it to MB to drop the ignorant blanket statement. never once did I say Judson was arrogant or anything like that. I merely stated an opinion.

Oh ok that clears things up.

Its not that I "hate" people from Judson who yell "city champion" it just bugs me.

Oh, so it only "bugs" you.

Not even as seriously as it did in high school. Just gave my 2 cents like everyone else did. I noticed you also missed the part where I said I root for any area team when they play teams from outside the area.

Awesome.

I am probably as old as you are Marcus and while I pull for my alma mater when they play, its not life or death like you implied. Its just sports, if you think its life or death...you have a problem.

Oh I don't think "its life or death." In fact I don't even follow high school football as you do.

samikeyp
11-11-2004, 11:16 AM
And that is your choice. My point is what Jailbre6 said about following your team. Now I do agree that there are adults out there that do live and breathe their HS team to the extent that it is disturbing. I follow the scores and hope my team does well but that is about it. Although when they went to the State Final two years ago, I was there. Those things, for those of us non-Judson folks, are few and far between. :)

rr2418
11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Man, I haven't thought about this shit for at least a decade. If you are as old as I am you should be ashamed of yourself.

Just putting in my 2 cents. Age doesn't have anything to do with opinions!

......., so get some fucking perspective if you are over the age of 18.

Hmmm, so that what CONVERSE Judson taught you for 4 years?

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Yes, what happens in high school stays in high school, unless your life is a Bruce Springsteen video.

Goddess Spur
11-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Like jalbre said, it comes down to personal preferences. I just don't get excited about college or pro ball the way I do high school. I follow Judson closely as I do the Spurs.. I don't see how it's different from rooting for your college or pro team. *shrug*