PDA

View Full Version : Giants and Red Sox In Talks For Manny Ramirez

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
From Barry to ... Manny?
Giants talking to Red Sox about a deal for Ramirez
Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, November 27, 2006

As the Giants work to complete a three-year contract with center fielder Dave Roberts, they are talking to the Red Sox about acquiring one of Roberts' former teammates in Boston, a big fish named Manny Ramirez.

Sources on Sunday confirmed that the Giants are among the teams talking seriously to the Red Sox about their disgruntled, temperamental yet unquestionably talented slugger. Ramirez, 34, is a .314 career hitter who has swatted at least 33 home runs with at least 102 RBIs in each of the last nine seasons.

If the Giants can pull this off, they would have one of the game's premier offensive forces in the middle of their lineup. They also would have no room for Barry Bonds, as both are left fielders.

There are many obstacles to such a deal, although money might be the least of them. Ramirez is owed $14 million and $16 million, plus a total of $8 million in deferred salary, over the final two seasons of the eight-year, $168 million contract he signed with Boston.

The Giants were willing to pay more per season for Carlos Lee, who signed a six-year, $100 million contract with Houston on Friday. According to a source close to the negotiations, the Giants had submitted an offer worth less than $100 million and told Lee's agent they were willing to go beyond that figure, perhaps $108 million, only to be told Lee decided to negotiate exclusively with the Astros.

A bigger potential obstacle for the Giants acquiring Ramirez is his right to veto any deal because he has more than 10 years of major-league tenure and five with the same club. He would have to approve San Francisco, and 10 months ago, after he reportedly demanded a trade, he told MLB.com, "I know the American League system. That's one reason I don't want to go to the National League."

Ramirez's agent, Greg Genske, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Another obstacle is the talent Boston would seek in return. The Red Sox are seeking relief help (so are the Giants), a shortstop (Omar Vizquel is staying put) and prospects (the Giants' best hope).

One source said the Giants and Red Sox have discussed a trade between the teams and possible three-way deals. The talks were described as preliminary. Boston is unlikely to move Ramirez before sewing up free-agent outfielder J.D. Drew, whom the Giants are not pursuing.

Long before the Giants secure a left fielder, be he Ramirez, Bonds or none of the above, they should have their center fielder.

Roberts' agent, John Boggs, is trying to iron out final details on a three-year contract worth between $5 million and $6 million a season. Chances of an announcement today look slim, because no deal has been signed and Roberts has not taken a physical.

However, sources on both sides said they believe Roberts' move to San Francisco is inevitable, although he does have three-year offers from Milwaukee and Texas if talks break down unexpectedly.

"The Giants are a team I've always had a lot of respect for," Roberts said Sunday as he was driving to his San Diego-area home after attending the Chargers-Raiders game. "I'm anxious to get the process going. Obviously, there are things that have got to happen to finalize things. I'm excited. Hopefully things will work out in due time."

A contract agreement with infielder Rich Aurilia also is being finalized and should be announced before general manager Brian Sabean leaves for the winter meetings in Orlando on Sunday.

E-mail Henry Schulman at [email protected].

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/27/SPGBSMKD521.DTL