PDA

View Full Version : burp

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I have been guiding corporate/wealthy deer hunters on a high fence ranch for the last few weekends and also tranquilizing/darting wild does for the DMP pens and having a total blast...we normally eat great anyway but last night was way over the top. This last bunch of hunters had 40 HUGE (8-10#?) live lobsters brought in and we cooked them last night...and only had 20 people there...dang...I NEVER thought I would ever say "please...no more lobster!" LOL

11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
CC, where are you guiding at? Hope your wealthy clients tip well.

Buddy of mine's dad traps as well. You darting the does post breeding?

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 02:12 PM
About 15 miles north of D'Hanis on a friends 1000 acre ranch. He also has a big scientific breeding program. I'm darting these does out in the pasture pre-breeding and then taking them to a special pen. It's a lot like bow hunting because max range is 30-35 yards. He has a permit to catch 40 and then breed them to a "big" buck and release them back out on the ranch. It's been tough because the drug mix is so tricky...we have been a little "light" on the dosage so have only been recovering about 30%...they can go as long as 10 minutes before dropping and with a deer that can be a long way...they are only out about an hour so it can be tricky finding them. The rest just wake up later with a hangover...I whacked 4 in a row with the regular darts this weekend that I couldn't find. I switched over to the radio tracker darts and couldn't buy a shot at a doe the rest of the weekend...too many bucks...We've got about 15 does in the pen right now and are running out of time because the rut is about to kick off...

Taco
11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I have been guiding corporate/wealthy deer hunters on a high fence ranch for the last few weekends and also tranquilizing/darting wild does for the DMP pens and having a total blast...we normally eat great anyway but last night was way over the top. This last bunch of hunters had 40 HUGE (8-10#?) live lobsters brought in and we cooked them last night...and only had 20 people there...dang...I NEVER thought I would ever say "please...no more lobster!" LOL

Send me the leftovers :hungry:

clambake
11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
When you say "high fence ranch", do you mean it's a fenced ranch?

Taco
11-28-2006, 03:23 PM

HIGH FENCE TO KEEP THE GAME IN, THEY PROBABLY RAISE EXOTIC TROPHY ANIMALS

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Virtually all ranches are fenced. "High Fence" typically denotes a 6-8' netwire fence.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 03:26 PM
HIGH FENCE TO KEEP THE GAME IN, THEY PROBABLY RAISE EXOTIC TROPHY ANIMALS

Actually, no exotics and no cattle or goats. The ranch is pretty much a dedicated whitetail deer ranch.

Sportcamper
11-28-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.hsus.org/web-files/canned-hunts/281x144_deerlookingthrufenc.jpg

Many people think of hunting as a tradition—whether an age-old rite of passage or a back-to-nature test of ability—but a growing trend bleeds the practice dry of any custom or sport...With today’s high velocity rifles, high powered optics, and planned canned hunts....Todays Hunting is nothing more than Drive-Thru killing...... :depressed

Many of today’s animals are bottle-fed, in the process losing their natural fear of people... animals are raised in a petting zoo, in these so called sporting operations.... On Texas leases, the animals are fed at regular times by familiar people or at bait stations and plots planted with food crops, where the shooters are waiting to take easy aim...(Is catering to the wealthy really worth it?)

There is no sport in this!!! The animals cannot escape, and any element of chance or contest is eliminated!!! Celebrities like Barbara Streisand, Pamela Andersen, and other enlightened and educated people from Los Angeles California, recognize that this practice is unethical, unsporting, and unfair... :dramaquee

T Park
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Celebrities like Barbara Streisand, Pamela Andersen, and other enlightened and educated people from Los Angeles California, recognize that this practice is unethical, unsporting, and unfair...

That right there is enough for me to support it right there.

Thanks wacko.

11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.hsus.org/web-files/canned-hunts/281x144_deerlookingthrufenc.jpg

Many people think of hunting as a tradition—whether an age-old rite of passage or a back-to-nature test of ability—but a growing trend bleeds the practice dry of any custom or sport...With today’s high velocity rifles, high powered optics, and planned canned hunts....Todays Hunting is nothing more than Drive-Thru killing...... :depressed

Many of today’s animals are bottle-fed, in the process losing their natural fear of people... animals are raised in a petting zoo, in these so called sporting operations.... On Texas leases, the animals are fed at regular times by familiar people or at bait stations and plots planted with food crops, where the shooters are waiting to take easy aim...(Is catering to the wealthy really worth it?)

There is no sport in this!!! The animals cannot escape, and any element of chance or contest is eliminated!!! Celebrities like Barbara Streisand, Pamela Andersen, and other enlightened and educated people from Los Angeles California, recognize that this practice is unethical, unsporting, and unfair... :dramaquee

You're right, after reading this post I should change my ways and realize that there is a place for all of God's creatures.

Right next to the fucking mashed potatoes.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
:lmao @ Jim Bob (sportcamper)

clambake
11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Why not just hunt at the zoo?

ChumpDumper
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
You guys hunted lobster?

T Park
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
You're right, after reading this post I should change my ways and realize that there is a place for all of God's creatures.

:lmao

word :tu

clambake
11-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Why use rifles? Just corner them and beat them with clubs.

11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
You guys hunted lobster?

Hunting's not so good in the Hill Country, but man, if I was still working in Florida though.......

http://www.spearboard.com/photos/data/500/3071100_0635-med.JPG

leemajors
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM

my woman's parents got me that apron, minus the fucking.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Why not just hunt at the zoo?

ahhh yes...spoken by someone truly clueless...*noting the "Dallas Mavericks" under your name*

clambake
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Is it hunting if there's no chance of escape?

If it is, then I guess I am clueless. I thought hunting was a sport.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Since you have obviously never hunted I will try to give you a reasonable answer. This ranch is approximately 2 miles long and one mile wide. It has extremely large and dense sanctuary areas, custom food plots for deer (lablab, oats etc.) that they use at night, supplemental protein feeders that they typically use at night and limited roads. We have one of our big bucks that we haven't seen for two months. The deer have everything they want and don't WANT to escape. Life outside the fence is worse than inside the fence...less food and more hunters. In this situation they are perfectly capable of evading the average hunter. In our situation the fences are to keep other hunters and inferior deer OUT and not as much to keep the deer in. Do people that live in the Dominion bitch because it's a gated community?

I am confident that I could put you in a ten acre high fenced pen with similar terrain at sunrise (oaks and brush) with just you and a large 170 class buck and you would swear at the end of the day that there was not a buck in there with you.

Now your question of "is it hunting" is reasonable considering that in the case of our clients the real "hunting" has already been done by their guides. I came in later this year but several of these guys have been "hunting" with video cameras since July. Is it a canned hunt? Yeah...kind of...the real "hunting" has already been done for these guys...they can fly in from Maryland, drive to the ranch in a rental car, and shoot a couple of good deer (that we pick and put them on) in a weekend and the most "real" hunting skill they need is finding their checkbook.

bendmz
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
There is no sport in this!!! The animals cannot escape, and any element of chance or contest is eliminated!!! Celebrities like Barbara Streisand, Pamela Andersen, and other enlightened and educated people from Los Angeles California, recognize that this practice is unethical, unsporting, and unfair...

you were doing great untill the name Streisand showed up......
THEN YOU FUCKED UP !!!!!!! :hungry:

AlamoSpursFan
11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
PETA Forum.

(People Enjoying Tasty Animals, that is...)

:lmao

clambake
11-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I was just referring to the lack of "sport" involved with high fence ranches. True, I have never hunted any wild game, but growing up in Belfast made you a hunter and the hunted.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
The high fences just allow you to control your populations and improve your genetics. It's still very much hunting. The guides have it best. We don't even carry guns...I filmed a 165 class buck Sunday evening right at dark at 30 feet while I was out sitting on the ground (downwind obviously) trying to dart/tranquilize does.

AlamoSpursFan
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I actually ate pretty good last year thanks to a high fence...some people bought the place next to ours in Floresville and immediately erected a high fence (which made no sense, because they only high fenced one side of their property, but who am I to tell them how to spend their money?). This caught the local deer population completely off guard, and when my daughter spooked a medium sized doe, it ran for the fence...the OLD fence.

A deer running at full speed vs. a newly erected high fence. It was a sight to see. The doe snapped her neck and croaked instantly, so I took full advantage of the situation and my newly defrosted freezer. Nothing like fresh backstrap... (Where's that fork and knife smiley?)

AlamoSpursFan
11-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh and I didn't tag it...is that wrong?

:lol: