PDA

View Full Version : new broadcast announcer for spurs

bejanicek
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
not sure of this guys name, "the new guy" that i have seen do the last two spurs games on WB or KABB (did the GS game). He is constantly saying "us" and "we". just wanted everyone elses opinion on this guy and if everyone else thinks he is as bad as i think. Does sean only do FSW games now?

2centsworth
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
He's great. He's a huge homer which I like from the home town broadcaster.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Silver Stars coach Dan Hughes IIRC. He was ok.

T-Pain
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
that guy was boring. what happened to sean?

PM5K
11-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I thought it was interesting that he was arguing a goal tending call on the basis of the balls upward movement, when it had clearly hit the glass, after which point it cannot be touched without it being a goal tending, which was the call, which was correct...

bejanicek
11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
he is for sure a big time homer. what is his name?
i guess i am just spoiled by sean elliots great insight into the game and our players that no one else can give. i guess he will take some getting used to. which games does this guy do?

ChumpDumper
11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
RIF

Chris Childs
11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
He sounds terrible

ashbeeigh
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
He sure is a homer, but I think he brings more a coach's respective to the broadcast, imo. I won't be asking to trade him in for Sean though.

Sense
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I Don't like him that much... and yeah I hate the fact that he includes himself to the team.

boutons_
11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
"when it had clearly hit the glass"

yeah, that was amazing. I bet a lot of fans caught him on that one.

He's got a bad broadcast voice, is pretty boring, and somebody tell him he doesn't need to Doug-Collins-comment every fucking play or possession. One DC is enough.

SpursWoman
11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I Don't like him that much... and yeah I hate the fact that he includes himself to the team.

Good God ... he's the Silver Star's head coach, not a permanent replacement. Sean's just on vacation or whatever.

Damn.

phyzik
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
He sounded like the guy that does commentary for National Geographic.... boring as hell... Im glad he's just temporary.

SAtown
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
He 'sounds' boring, but I think he's got great insight and seems very knowledgable of the game. As for saying "us" and "we," I'm all about homerism. But we do need Sean back though.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Sean doesn't do all the games, so they periodically have someone fill in on his days off.

As someone mentioned, this is Dan Hughes, the Silver Stars coach, not a professional announcer. He actually knows a lot about the game and does a great job pointing out stuff that viewers might not normally realize.

He does use "we" "us" too much and sometimes trails off or mumbles. But hey, it's a very hard job and it's not his career, he's just filling in.

timvp
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Better than Lance Blanks. Then again, Dead Air > Lance Blanks.

T Park
11-28-2006, 07:03 PM
As someone mentioned, this is Dan Hughes, the Silver Stars coach, not a professional announcer. He actually knows a lot about the game and does a great job pointing out stuff that viewers might not normally realize.

Thats what I liked.

He pointed out alot of stuff, pertaining to plays, defenses set ups, and what not.

For all the points about being boring.

Remember that when someone calls the team boring and you get pissed off.

AlamoSpursFan
11-28-2006, 07:05 PM
If my paycheck was signed by Peter Holt, I'd say we and us a lot too...

Leetonidas
11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
What happend to Dick Stockton?

I make banners
11-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I think Tpark would do a good job standing in for Sean.

mikeanthony21
11-28-2006, 11:37 PM

Wishful thinking on his part. At least he didn't confuse Jacques Vaughan with Vicki Johnson. :toast

joeyjfive
11-29-2006, 03:39 AM
IMO I think the guy is pretty boring, I was watching the Sonics game with 2 other people and it felt like he made the game so much more boring, they both fell asleep. (even tho that game didnt have much excitement to begin with)

Dro210
11-29-2006, 04:09 AM
I thought it was interesting that he was arguing a goal tending call on the basis of the balls upward movement, when it had clearly hit the glass, after which point it cannot be touched without it being a goal tending, which was the call, which was correct...

Haha... So I'm not the only one who noticed this? lol... and I don't mind his homerism, but I think he kinda sucks. Sean is the man, but if you can't get him, at least get somebody with a personality.

PM5K
11-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Haha... So I'm not the only one who noticed this? lol... and I don't mind his homerism, but I think he kinda sucks. Sean is the man, but if you can't get him, at least get somebody with a personality.

You'd think a coach would know the rules, are they different in the WNBA?

Pimp My Avatar!
11-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Bring back Jay Howard!

freemeat
11-29-2006, 04:50 AM
waaaa!!! WAAAA!!!

I'm sorry to complain about all this, but I watch most of the Spurs games via League Pass, and there isn't a single analysist comes close to being as good as the following: general NBA -- Hubie Brown, Mike Breen; Spurs -- Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott. Unless I can actually catch a game against the Knicks (Breen) or on national TV (Brown, Sean, Kerr), I'm stuck with any number of nameless assholes. Complain about the local talent for SA on any given night, namely Monday, but I can send you audio clips of the retards that broadcast for Golden State, which I mind you is in OAKLAND (I'm usually not too judgemeltal, but it seems the talent is slim). They know little to nothing about the sport, the rules, the players, etc. Whenever a player hits a jump shot, the 'color' guy literally screams "OH MY GOD!" (or some derivitive of it)...and I'm not just speaking of the fourth quarter run...the entire game. After GS won the tip, Richardson immediately turned the ball over. On the second Warriors possession, he hit a three. The following was heard: "Wow! J.R. is getting off to a GREAT start!". Only two minutes into the game, J-Rich had had 3 points, 0 boards, 0 assists, 1 turnover, and the response was a screaming "great." I believe the score was 3-2. Sounds like fun.

I'm not complaining about what station I have to watch here to catch my Spurs play. I get to watch...I feel almost privileged. I know more about the sport than any of those guys know anyway. I'd tune into the Audio Pass if I didn't have the NBALP & DVR...Even if the local SA play-by-play guy isn't that great yet, be grateful for not having to listen to retards announce the game around 75% of the time (because they're usually broadcasting majors). Occassionally, you can get lucky to have a Hubie or Sean "color" the game and chime in more than they are asked to. They have a passion for it and can provide more insight than a "GREAT" after a basket is made.

On a side note, I was extremely sad the day that Jay Howard stepped down as the WOAI announcer. I actually recorded game 5 on the radio of the '99 ring where he announced, "...and the pride of the Lone Star State, the San Antonio Spurs are the NBA champions!" I've listened to it many times. Jay was the best, in my mind.

When Bill Schoening took over, I didn't like him at all. He had a different style and demeanor. It comes with the territory when you try to fill someone else's shoes. I had to listen to it because I was in freakin' New Mexico (sadly, the only way to experience the games was through radio...but I was there).

Since then, whenever I see Manu hit a three, you'll hear me scream, "AND THAT'S A MANU TRES!"

My point? Give it time...

freemeat
11-29-2006, 04:53 AM
PS. Schoening, keep up the good work.

cherylsteele
11-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe it is because he is not used to seeing goal tending being called. When did you see goal tending called in th WNBA?

MrChug
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Man, I noticed EVERYTHING you guys did. He's absurd. We HATE when the rediculous Tommy Heinsohn when he does the "us" and "we" thing but this guy does it the ENTIRE GAME. He's knowledgeable but he's GOTTA go. Boring voice. He sux.

Tek_XX
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Since when is being a homer an issue? He's talking to Spurs fans not NBA fans in general. Is Sean Elliot "fair and balanced"?

He'll never live that goaltending call down will he, let it go people...damn.

boutons_
11-29-2006, 02:53 PM
"He's talking to Spurs fans not NBA fans in general."

... doesn't NBA League Pass pickup some of these local channels?

If so, he's being heard not only by an SA audience.

foodie2
11-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I also noticed the "we" thing and it irritated me, but the thing that I am really hung up on is his overuse of "great job", as in "great job taking it to the basket" and "great job on that transition defense" and "great job this and that and every fucking thing."

He does have good insights into the game though, the goaltending thing notwithstanding.

"Rachael Ray is to food what Hitler was to Poland."--Anthony Bourdain