PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Defense ????????????????

pineflatt
11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Where is the trademark Spurs defense.

Right now we are allowing teams to shoot 45 % against us and we are ranked 12th behind Orlando (1), Charlotte (2), Atlanta (4) and Boston (11). We also rank 26th in defending the 3 point shoot.

Defense use to be our strong suit. It it that we can't play defense anymore, don't have good defensive personnel, or has the focus of the team changed. Personally, I see this as a trend that carried over from last year; it's just that the problem has gotten worse.

Comments?

dknights411
11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
It's November.

The_Game
11-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Older legs

ChumpDumper
11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
You have exceeded your question mark per thread title limit.

td4mvp21
11-28-2006, 07:28 PM
It doesn't matter if its November, we should be playing defense.

I think a big reason why is because the refs now call more handchecking, and more fouls in the paint than they used to. Not just against us but as a whole, against every team. And I think we have backed off a bit to avoid picking up fouls. As a result, players score more. Not to mention that individual talent and scoring has gone up in the NBA over the past three years.

Extra Stout
11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
The Spurs no longer have the personnel to funnel penetrators into the lane where shotblockers wait, they have a lot of older perimeter players, and Bruce Bowen is starting to lose a step.

They compensate with greater attention to offense.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
The Spurs are currently

#4 in opponents' scoring

#13 in opponents' FG%

#1 in point differential

All with a revamped center corps. We're doing ok.

PM5K
11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Seems like the op only picked the bad stats to showcase his argument, he didn't bother to mention that we are first in differential and first in three point percentage, we are also fifth in field goal percentage...

Sure we could be playing better defense but our offense is playing pretty well, and we lead the league in differential which is important..

Amuseddaysleeper
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I think our interior defense is shit

its allowing too many teams too many easy buckets in the paint

also our 3FG defense is atrocious

we have a long long way to go to get to where we want to be but as people stated in this thread

it's november

but if we're still having this conversation in february, i'll start to get worried

boutons_
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
"first in differential"

... due more to our offense than defense holding down scoring.

"first in three point percentage, we are also fifth in field goal percentage..."

... why mention offensive stats when the thread is about defense?

Spurs last year were very low in opp 3G% (high opp. 3G%), but actual 3G made/attempts were best in the league, ie, Spurs perimeter defense was aimed at preventing the 3G. IIRC, the Spurs allowed an avg of opp. 4/9 3Gs, a very high %age, but only 12 PPG from 3Gs.

dimsah
11-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Great. We have an efficient offense. That definitely wins championships, just ask the Mavs and Suns.

PM5K
11-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Well all the defense in the world won't help if you can't make any shots, ask Hedo....

You really need a balance between both, bottom line is that we are still playing well...

The Truth #6
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Point differential is the most important in my opinion.

I don't think we've been a great defensive team since 50 retired but have still stayed at the top of the league. No one plays great defense anymore.

We're much better on the offensive end, including free throws, so I'm having a hard time freaking out.

lrrr
11-28-2006, 11:29 PM
I read somewhere that the team has had only two practice sessions since the start of the season due to the hectic schedule. It's not an excuse for shoddy defense, but it could explain why the team isn't as sharp as expected.

mikeanthony21
11-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Where is the trademark Spurs defense.

Right now we are allowing teams to shoot 45 % against us and we are ranked 12th behind Orlando (1), Charlotte (2), Atlanta (4) and Boston (11). We also rank 26th in defending the 3 point shoot.

Defense use to be our strong suit. It it that we can't play defense anymore, don't have good defensive personnel, or has the focus of the team changed. Personally, I see this as a trend that carried over from last year; it's just that the problem has gotten worse.

Comments?

No handchecking on the perimeter sets offenses free and shackles once-suffocating defenses. :bang