PDA

View Full Version : Elsons minutes

Fabbs
11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
6-0 when Frankie Elson has gotten 20+ minutes.
0-4 with 16 min or less. (Ave 11 min per)

Now I'm not saying Frankie was the only key to the wins,
or Small Balls Pops lineups were the only reasons for the losses. Just mostly.

So, will we see Frankie Elsons minutes increase and when?
And why not not now? Why the 3 game benching? (2 of 3 losses) especially vs Dallas. Deja vu. :rolleyes

mikeanthony21
11-29-2006, 01:24 AM

And why not not now? Why the 3 game benching? (2 of 3 losses) especially vs Dallas. Deja vu. :rolleyes

I think sometimes Popovich gets caught "watching" the game instead of coaching the team. So, he forgets about Elson at times.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Oberto was better at what Pop wanted from a center, for the most part. Elson will get more time.

Kori Ellis
11-29-2006, 01:32 AM
He's only played 20 minutes in one of their last eight games.

I think his minutes just declined after the first five games because Oberto started playing better.

itzsoweezee
11-29-2006, 01:38 AM
there's no reason why both elson and oberto can't be playing 20+ minutes. they can both play two positions. oberto is not taking minutes away from elson. finley is taking minutes from elson and so is horry - both undeservingly. this is the time of the year pop should be giving elson extra minutes. let him get more acclimated w/ the system. instead, his minutes are dwindling. i hate to think that the playoffs are going to be a repeat of last year. but all signs point that way.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Now Elson = championship!

MannyIsGod
11-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Now Elson = championship!No, Elson is simply playing better than the other options outside of Oberto and Duncan that are getting play at the 4/5 spot. If he's the best we have he might be good enough and Spurs fans want to see the players who are playing the best play.

We can defeintly win a championship with Horry if Horry plays the way he has in the past, but it remains to be seen whether that will happen. Right now Elson IS playing well, so there is no (obvious) reason he isn't taking those minutes as opposed to Horry taking those minutes.

SenorSpur
11-29-2006, 02:13 AM
there's no reason why both elson and oberto can't be playing 20+ minutes. they can both play two positions. oberto is not taking minutes away from elson. finley is taking minutes from elson and so is horry - both undeservingly. this is the time of the year pop should be giving elson extra minutes. let him get more acclimated w/ the system. instead, his minutes are dwindling. i hate to think that the playoffs are going to be a repeat of last year. but all signs point that way.

Couldn't agree more! Oberto's minutes and Elson's minutes should be mutually exclusive of one another.

Besides, niether Finley or Horry are playing worth a shit.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2006, 02:58 AM
Oberto's minutes and Elson's minutes should be mutually exclusive of one another.They won't be, because neither spreads the offense like Horry or Bonner.

SenorSpur
11-29-2006, 03:03 AM
They won't be, because neither spreads the offense like Horry or Bonner.

Ok. I'll bite on that one.

But Horry is really showing his age.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Sure, hope for Bonner to not suck or Eric Williams to get in shape or Jamar Smith to get a jumper.

Or a trade.

Whatever.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Horry isn't spreading a damn thing right now.

whottt
11-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Elson can do so much when he's out there....he may not have everything nailed down with the d yet, but he's played well and contributed quite quite a bit in some of the games he's played in.

This seems like the Rasho/Nazr, Devin/Barry and Malik/Horry things that happened. Where one gets dropped out of the rotation at the direct expense of the other. I can't complain because we did end up winning a title one of those seasons, but I think it is going to be an either or thing with Elson and Oberto, where one of them is just not going to get much PT unless the other one starts to play bad.

Maybe it's something Pop does to get them to compete.

freemeat
11-29-2006, 04:58 AM
How about this?

Butler: 10+ Minutes = Spurs 1-0
Butler: 0 Minutes = 4 losses

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, POP!!!

Tom_Foolery
11-29-2006, 05:22 AM

gosh, i thought Elson was doing pretty good. maybe elson's slipping? i think it probably comes down to elson maybe being a little "foul prone" and not knowing the defense well enough for pop to put him in those crunch time situations. if you were pop, would you put elson late in the 4th if the Spurs were behind over oberto, who's done a decent job defensively?

how great is this when we can now debate whether who we like more rather than who we dislike more like last season?

at the rate oberto is playing, i can see him being a top 5 center in the west next year. i also think at the rate elson is improving that by playoff time, we are going to be gnarly inside!

i'm feeling championship.

i wouldn't mind giving elson horry's minutes though. horry is only averaging 3pts and playing the same amount of minutes as last year(i think he's been averaging more). keep horry fresh & give elson some floor time to get him adjusted to the system cuz i think elson has the potential to really make special things happen off the bench.

gosh, i really like both oberto & elson so much more than nazr & rash. gotta hand it to pop...really really improved the center position.

i haven't been happy with finley though. in fact, i haven't been happy with him since he's been in uniform. if we could package both him and eric williams for a g/f that's younger, i think that will help tremendously. i don't think we are going to lose a whole lot trading finley cuz barry's really stepped up to the challenge.

lrrr
11-29-2006, 05:43 AM
Elson is new, and the team hasn't practiced much at all since the beginning of the season. Give it some time, he will (hopefully) get more familiar with the system and then will play more.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2006, 05:58 AM
How about this?

Butler: 10+ Minutes = Spurs 1-0
Butler: 0 Minutes = 4 losses

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, POP!!!The influx of retarded posters is impressive.

Kori Ellis
11-29-2006, 06:06 AM
The influx of retarded posters is impressive.

Either that ... Or you are retarded for not realizing that he's mocking the original poster.

:lol

Either way.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Either that ... Or you are retarded for not realizing that he's mocking the original poster.

Either way.I realized exactly what he was doing. Its a silly attempt to mock someone. Fabbs post is solid, and those numbers are pretty damn valid and important. Its not like he made a ridiculous assertion.

Solid D
11-29-2006, 08:53 AM
The Spurs put such a premium on defending. They displayed an example of what happens when they don't defend well in the Oakland game. I think Pop will give Elson more time as he improves in his team defense. He does a good job of rebounding but he can't come late or softly on his help D if he wants to get significant PT.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Elson probably needs some more experience playing with this team style. I don't mind anymore since Oberto's doing his job pretty well in minutes. Though I don't get the Horry minutes, but I guess Horry wants to be used enough.

Hopefully Elson's play will eventually help add and maintain our versatility, so teams have to adjust to US, again instead of the other way around.

Extra Stout
11-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Perhaps Pop isn't planning to give Elson a lot of minutes until next year. He basically "redshirted" Oberto and now look at him.

Bruno
11-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Elson has been quite good this season but hs still needs to learn Spurs' team defense.
Nazr has never been able to learn it, let's hope Elson's BBIQ is high enough to learn it before the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Racist!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-29-2006, 02:11 PM

intlspurshk
11-29-2006, 08:43 PM
The pt is Oberto is quite useless against Dallas. That's the issue.