PDA

View Full Version : Track star Gatlin works out for Texans

Horry For 3!
11-29-2006, 11:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoCJgCxKNQ3yduX5FLEq_39DubYF?slug=ap-texans-gatlin&prov=ap&type=lgns

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
November 29, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Track star Justin Gatlin worked out for the Houston Texans on Tuesday, but coach Gary Kubiak said signing him was "not something we would do right now."

Gatlin, an Olympic gold medalist and co-world record holder in the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone and other steroids in April.

Kubiak said Gatlin, who last played football in high school, had worked out for several teams over the last month. The Texans worked him out as a receiver and Kubiak said team officials told him he was "very impressive."

"I'm sure it would be a big step for him to step up and start playing football," Kubiak said. "But that looks like it's something that he's interested in."

Gatlin was banned from track by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency but still has the option to appeal the length of his punishment. While his Olympic medals are not affected, he's likely to lose his share of the world record when appeals process is complete.

Kubiak said he isn't worried about the steroids matter, because the NFL is allowing him to work out for teams.

"It was positive," Kubiak said of the workout. "He did a good job. Some of our people who were over there watching him were amazed at how fast he ran. I don't even know if he was full speed at that time. But he did catch the ball pretty good."

At 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, the 24-year-old has the size to be an NFL receiver. Houston already has a former track standout on their roster in Jerome Mathis.

Mathis, who once participated in track's U.S Olympic trials, earned a trip to the Pro Bowl last season as a kick returner. He was just moved to the active roster on Tuesday after missing the first 11 games with a fractured foot.

Horry For 3!
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Stuart Scott just said on ESPN, Gatlin's 40 time is 3.8 or 3.9, that is sick.

NorCal510
11-30-2006, 12:53 AM
dayummmmm! thats a quick 40!!!

johngateswhiteley
11-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Stuart Scott just said on ESPN, Gatlin's 40 time is 3.8 or 3.9, that is sick.

that is nuts, but i find it hard to believe. when i was running track i read a book that outlined all the average 40 yard times for professional athletes.

as follows (the best i can recall):

1. Average NFL RB 4.5
2. Average NFL WR 4.45
3. Average 100 meter Olympian 4.15

...i find it hard to believe, b/c in a sport where races are decided by 0.01 of a second...i don't think the average 100m Olympian runs a 4.15 and Gatlin runs a 3.8 or 3.9. a 4.0 or 4.1 is much likelier.

j-6
11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I know we're talking about a guy who once could say he was the fastest man in the world, but I don't buy any time under four seconds. I'll buy a 4.2 or so, but not a 3.8 or 3.9. What would that make his Madden speed rating, like a 130?

Michael Jennings of the Giants, who was a sprinter at Florida State, (he didn't play college football, by the way) ran a 4.3 40 a couple of years ago. He's the fastest guy I've ever seen play pro football - faster than Deion or Vick. Tye Hill from Clemson allegedly ran a 4.1 flat in college, but he clocked a 4.3 at the combine. DeAngelo Hall supposedly ran a 4.15 once upon a time, and a 4.3 at the combine. Even the Texans' own Jerome Mathis ran a 4.28 - once, and he actually tried out for the Olympics.

If Gatlin really ran a sub-four second forty, why even hesitate to sign him? The team's already 3-8. Throw a jersey on the man, line him up opposite Mathis, put Andre Johnson in the slot, and tell him to go long every passing down.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I know we're talking about a guy who once could say he was the fastest man in the world, but I don't buy any time under four seconds. I'll buy a 4.2 or so, but not a 3.8 or 3.9. What would that make his Madden speed rating, like a 130?

Michael Jennings of the Giants, who was a sprinter at Florida State, (he didn't play college football, by the way) ran a 4.3 40 a couple of years ago. He's the fastest guy I've ever seen play pro football - faster than Deion or Vick. Tye Hill from Clemson allegedly ran a 4.1 flat in college, but he clocked a 4.3 at the combine. DeAngelo Hall supposedly ran a 4.15 once upon a time, and a 4.3 at the combine. Even the Texans' own Jerome Mathis ran a 4.28 - once, and he actually tried out for the Olympics.

If Gatlin really ran a sub-four second forty, why even hesitate to sign him? The team's already 3-8. Throw a jersey on the man, line him up opposite Mathis, put Andre Johnson in the slot, and tell him to go long every passing down.

Well, there is that whole steroids thing.