PDA

View Full Version : The new MALIK...

Spurgal
11-04-2004, 04:09 AM
Hey guys, how did you all like the new Malik In the Kings game?
I personally, think he was AWESOME!

:spin :spin :spin :spin :spin :spin

Notorious H.O.P.
11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
As long as Malik doesn't step out onto the floor with the idea that he's mini-Tim Duncan, he'll do just fine. He's out there for is hustle, heart, rebounding and defense. His points should come within the scope of doing this, not hogging the ball and believing he is The Man on the team. Other than his ill-advised shots, I've always like Malik and think he's done some positive things on the court, especially before he got his new contract. They gave it to him for his contributions (along with helping entice Tim to re-sign), but once he got it, it seems like he felt he had to elevate his game to superstar status. I appreciate someone trying to improve his game but you have to continue doing the things that make you and your team successful. It seems that Malik has finally gotten a hold of this concept (hopefully), and by doing so, will help the team go that much further.

SMSpur
11-04-2004, 10:08 AM

Spurgal, if this is the Malik Rose that we are going to be getting all this year, then it is like we have 2 big FA signings. Berry and Rose. While Horry definately was useful for us last year, we really didn't have anything close to a rebounding pressence for any substantial minutes coming off the bench last year.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-04-2004, 10:12 AM

Good to see the fire back after all we heard this off-season.

I am wondering the over/under on posters it takes to say "Malik Sucks" just to piss SpurGal off.

ducks
11-04-2004, 10:26 AM
I will say he sucks when he does and not just to piss spursgal off

I hope he plays well
I think the best interst for him is to get traded he knows from now on he will also be trade bait. as a player I would want to know I am off the block and not always on it.

When he plays like last night I do not want him traded though

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm glad to see that it appears the Malik of the old days (pre-big contract) is back, but I'll reserve judgment until a later date.

Promising start.

coz
11-04-2004, 02:45 PM
why is it that we either have Malik OR Horry? Why can't both of these guys show up for the season? I understand it is too early to tell, but Horry looked slloooooooowwwww out there last night.

timvp
11-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Rose played very well. He concentrated on rebounding, defense and beating his man up and down the court. If he continues to play like this, the Spurs are going to be in great shape.

Expect Rose to close out a lot of games in place of Rasho ... if he can stay in Pop's good graces.

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2004, 05:33 PM
6th Man of the Year.

xcoriate
11-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah so ummmm,

Who is our 6th man?

Dex
11-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I was really interested to see Malik be the first player off the bench last night. After watching Pop tinker with his toys in the preseason, you never really know what kind of surprises you are going to get on opening night. Rose was certainly one of many.

If he can keep this up, there is no reason why Malik SHOULDN'T be our first big man off the bench. He can back up either the 4 or 5, with Big Shot Rob coming in later to relieve the other. As far as Horry is concerned, I still think he is an important defensive reserve and helps to stretch the floor even AS a big. I really expect him to regain his form around midseason, for whatever that is worth anymore. I'd love to see him perform as well as he did against Memphis ALL THE TIME, but that really seems to be up to him.

As far as Leaky (Malik) goes, if he plays within his role he can do wonders for the team. He is a dog on the boards, plays tough in the post, and provides a great spark off the bench when he performs to his abilities. Hell, he can even knock down that jumper every now and then, though I still don't trust it every time he puts it up.

As long as he doesn't try to do what someone reffered to as 'his best Tracy McGrady impersonation', he should do just fine. Him and Pop might even get along. All will be well in the World of Rose.

Until next summer when he becomes tradebait again.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Rose in his 2002-03 form is an awesome player who can really help this team, but even if his is that player this year, your smoking some really good stuff if you think brent barry is our six man

ducks
11-04-2004, 06:13 PM
if rasho and rose can both rebound like they did last night
spurs will win it all

T Park
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Expect Rose to close out a lot of games in place of Rasho

What if Rasho is playing the good defense rebounding and blocking shots like he was in the second half last night?

Offense wise, Rose and Nesterovic imo are equl, Rose Dunks but has an ok outside game, Nesterovic doesnt dunk but has a good outside game.

Matchups IMO, wich, is the POP mo, match up to what they send on the court, Brad Miller was out there, and Rasho did a great job on him IMO.

timvp
11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
What if Rasho is playing the good defense rebounding and blocking shots like he was in the second half last night?

I've never seen Rasho close out a game. If that ever happens, let me know.

mattyc
11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Good to hear that Malik was Malik. Hopefully a few more games like that can cement it in his brain of how to play and how not to play.

Keep it up, 'Lik.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Of course, to play devil's advocate, if they know Massenberg can give what he showed last night for 15-20 minutes a night, they may be thinking about showcasing Malik for a trade later this year.

Send him out, take back the contract of an ending big/draft picks, let Massenberg, Marks, and Horry handle the big man minutes, then use the freed up cap room to go get Scola next summer.

But that's just to play devil's advocate.

Spurgal
11-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Rose played very well. He concentrated on rebounding, defense and beating his man up and down the court. If he continues to play like this, the Spurs are going to be in great shape.

Expect Rose to close out a lot of games in place of Rasho ... if he can stay in Pop's good graces.

Timvp Is right... Rose did play very well and I have faith that he will continue to play a lot better... ;)

ducks
11-04-2004, 11:37 PM
you just better hope that is for the spurs and not for the knicks or another team

Spurgal
11-05-2004, 04:02 AM
you just better hope that is for the spurs and not for the knicks or another team

:rolleyes @ Ducks...