PDA

View Full Version : Shooting pains debilitate Spurs/No timetable for Manu return

Spurs Brazil
12-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Shooting pains debilitate Spurs/No timetable for Manu return

Today, 09:31 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...v.379f854.html

Shooting pains debilitate Spurs

Web Posted: 12/02/2006 02:14 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

This was what the shot doctor had ordered: two perfect 25-foot rainbows, each with the clock ticking down, each snuffing an opponent's rally.
Robert Horry buried both 3-pointers to help turn back Seattle, allowing the Spurs to slip out of KeyArena with a victory Sunday night. Wasn't this exactly what the veteran forward needed to break free of his season-long slump?

"Well," Horry said smiling, "even a blind squirrel finds some nuts."

These days, Horry wouldn't blame anyone for questioning whether he needs an eye exam. In which case, he would also need to get in line.

Horry, Michael Finley and Beno Udrih all enter tonight's game against Sacramento with the worst shooting percentages of their careers. With three losses in four games and no timetable for Manu Ginobili's return, the Spurs would benefit by having at least one of their clanging comrades back on track.

Finley, like most shooters, has occasionally struggled with his stroke during his 12-year career. But even he admits this is different. Back when he was captaining Dallas, a bad night meant going 6 for 20.

Not 1 for 8, like Wednesday in Utah. Or the 0 for 4 he had against the Mavericks last week.

For the season, Finley is shooting 32.2 percent from the field and 25 percent from the 3-point line. In each of the previous three seasons, he made around 40 percent of his 3-point attempts.

"I'm just going through a stage where, as one of my coaches used to tell me, I'm trying to make every shot," Finley said. "When you put that kind of pressure on yourself, you can do nothing but bad. Nobody shoots 100 percent the entire year.

"I just have to go out, play my game, shoot the shots the way I've been shooting them my entire career and hopefully the tide will turn."

Without Ginobili's ability to penetrate and create, the Spurs' offense can stagnate quickly, making it all the more important — and difficult — for the team's shooters to stretch the defense. Brent Barry has helped by making 52.6 percent of his 3-pointers, but Udrih and Horry are shooting 27.3 and 25.8 percent behind the arc, respectively.

Horry is rebounding and defending better than in past seasons, which has helped him stay on the floor. But if he continues to struggle with his shot, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich could give minutes to Matt Bonner.

As long as Ginobili is out, the Spurs don't have such an option behind Finley.

The team hoped starting Finley during Ginobili's absence would help him. Finley shot fairly well during the first 11/2 games, but went 1 for 6 in the second half of Monday's loss to Golden State and finished with more fouls (five) than points (three) against the Jazz.

"He's taking the right shots and he's going to make those shots," Tim Duncan said. "I would not take back one shot he shot. He's going to be a deadeye shooter."

In previous years, Finley's shooting woes have usually come when he's hurt or returning from injury. That isn't the case this season. He also doesn't think his age (33) or Horry's (36) have contributed to their errant shooting.

"A guy could be 50 years old and knock down 50 percent of his open shots," Finley said. "Physically, I feel better than I have the last couple years."

Finley won't blame his struggles on the new microfiber basketball, but he doesn't like it. Nor does Horry, who has had difficulty even making layups.

Most players would prefer the league return to using a leather ball. The Players Association filed a lawsuit against the NBA over the change on Friday.

"In my career, I've probably never missed two layups," Horry said. "It's just because the ball, to me, feels a tad bit light.

"I'm always thinking what my high-school coach said, 'If you can shoot with a basketball, you can shoot with a pumpkin.' So I'm trying to keep that in mind."

Finley also hopes to relax a little. Starting has helped him better adjust to the flow of the game.

"Whether I start or come off the bench, there's still no excuse for my performance," he said. "I still have to bring a little bit more to the table. Hopefully I can do that the rest of the season."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Emanuel20
12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
when is manu coming back?

George Gervin's Afro
12-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Keep taking good shots guys..they will fall. I would rather face shooting slump in Nov/Dec than May/June..

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
He's doubtful for tonight, so probably another 2 games.

Kori Ellis
12-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I think Pop said that he might miss another 3-4 games.

joeyjfive
12-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I think Finleys confidence is way down right now, we all know sooner or later his shot is gonna start falling, but I think for him to get that confidence back hes gonna have to drive to the basket, get some foul calls and go to the line, he'll make the FT and I believe that would make him more comfortable for rest of the game seeing that hes already started offensively. Btw he can still jump(dunk), just ask Erick Dampier.

spurschick
12-02-2006, 05:45 PM
The church is in session. Please open your hymnals to the Book of Manu 12:2.

"And his disciples became of one mind and sent healing thoughts. POOF – Manu was healed." :drunk

http://www.spurschick.com/manushrine.jpg

SpursWoman
12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Damn, M ... if I thought it would help, I'd donate my:

http://www.eurojerseyimports.com/images/product/05010102_01_150.jpg and http://www.spursfanshop.com/prodimages/24/20%20PINK%20REPLICA%20JERSEY%20BACK-705.jpg

to your shrine! :lol

Emanuel20
12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
+ the Gold medal

spurschick
12-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Damn, M ... if I thought it would help, I'd donate my:

http://www.eurojerseyimports.com/images/product/05010102_01_150.jpg and http://www.spursfanshop.com/prodimages/24/20%20PINK%20REPLICA%20JERSEY%20BACK-705.jpg

to your shrine! :lol

If I don't hear some good news soon, I'm bringing out the big guns – my Manu bravatar! Okay...maybe not so big guns. :lol

smeagol
12-02-2006, 06:58 PM
If I don't hear some good news soon, I'm bringing out the big guns – my Manu bravatar! Okay...maybe not so big guns. :lol
Bravatars wouldn't be bad for a change :drunk

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Keep taking good shots guys..they will fall. I would rather face shooting slump in Nov/Dec than May/June..
The law of averages should implement itself eventually. I'm not too worried, they're shooters.

ducks
12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I trade mnau for melo nuggetsfan!