PDA

View Full Version : Cuban for Sportsman of the Year

KB24
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
By Ian Thomsen

He has been fined by the league, abused by opposing fans and forsaken by his rival owners. That's why Mark Cuban is my Sportsman of the Year.

In six years he turned the lifeless Dallas Mavericks into the defending Western Conference champs. Cuban should be a model for all of the many bad NBA owners who shuttle out millions in guaranteed paychecks yet fail to hold players accountable for their salaries. Among the most expensive payrolls in the NBA, the Mavericks are the only team in contention -- and it's because in his own way, like him or not, Cuban makes sure that his players give an honest night's work in exchange for their outrageous day's pay.

The owners who complain about Cuban's behavior should first consider their own failings. Do they get as much out of their franchises as Cuban does from his? A few of them do, and so they have the right to question Cuban's occasionally defiant behavior. The rest of them should spend less time criticizing Cuban's style and more time learning from his substance. If they would work harder to compete with him instead of complaining about him, it would be a far better league.

I have a lot of respect for David Stern as an innovator and a problem-solver, but the scoreboard says that he is not the greatest sports commissioner of all time. That honor goes to Pete Rozelle, who (with a huge assist from successor Paul Tagliabue) set the NFL on track to overtake baseball as the No. 1 sport in the country. The NBA was No. 3 when Stern came in and it is No. 3 today. He has been an excellent commissioner who raised a lot of money and heightened the interest in his sport, but so too did the other leagues during the bullish 1980s and '90s.

There is an unhealthy, self-congratulatory sense of complacency in the NBA based on the premise that all of the problems will be solved because Stern is a genius; and yet NBA players are held in generally low esteem by the public in no small part because of the way Stern chose to market them over the previous decade.

All I'm saying is that nobody has all the answers, and that Cuban's fresh approach should be welcomed by a league that could use some new ideas. To its credit, the NBA has increased oversight of its referees because of Cuban's griping.

The mistake would be to push Cuban away. It's bad business. If nothing else, his behavior lets fans know that he sincerely cares about winning each basketball game. While he's making an ass of himself, he's also changing the widespread perception that most owners don't care about the final score.

In the bigger picture, he does far more good than harm. When he sells the Mavericks, which I imagine will be sooner than later, he will be missed.

dirk4mvp
12-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Let the hate begin. :toast

kingsfan
12-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Cuban alone is enough reason to hate the Mavs, he's obnoxious and acts the NBA owes him something. Even the players get sick of him on the bench, what does that tell you? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif

jacobdrj
12-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Ian Thomsen

I am jacobdrj, and I approve this message.

ponky
12-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Cuban alone is enough reason to hate the Mavs, he's obnoxious and acts the NBA owes him something. Even the players get sick of him on the bench, what does that tell you? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif

I will admit that he shouldn't be sitting with the team during the game and players (a player) has mentioned this but don't even begin to try to say that the players don't like him, he gives them everything and if you see them off the court, they get along pretty damn well. Actually, maybe he has riled some other NBA owners but the owners of your team cannot be included in this group, they get along with Cuban probably more than any other owners in the league.

KB24
12-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Damm is that MANU & Parker????? The French are sure full of Culture. Great PIC PONKY.

http://www.freewebs.com/ruizjuan/KB24%20ver%202.JPG

LEONARD
12-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Cuban is the man

Obstructed_View
12-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Most overrated owner ever. He deserves an award just for fooling people into believing he's done anything positive for the Mavericks.

sprrs
12-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Cuban does a real nice job of getting opposing teams pumped to play the Mavs, so I really can't complain.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Wade to be SI's Sportsman of the Year

By Craig Barnes
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted December 3 2006

MEMPHIS · Guard Dwyane Wade will be named Sports Illustrated's 2006 Sportsman of the Year on Monday, according to a league source.

Wade, the fourth selection in the NBA Draft in 2003, averaged 28.4 points per game in last season's NBA playoffs as he led the Heat's run to its first NBA championship. He was named MVP of the NBA Finals after averaging 37.4 points per game against Dallas.

Wade's selection will be announced at New York, but he will be on the West Coast where the Heat plays the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday.

Wade will be the fourth athlete in South Florida history to receive the prestigious honor. Fort Lauderdale tennis player Chris Evert was chosen in 1976. Golfer Jack Nicklaus, who lives in Palm Beach Gardens, was selected in 1978, and former Dolphins coach Don Shula was the choice in 1993.

In his fourth season, Wade has emerged as one of the NBA's superstars. He also has become one of the new faces of the NBA and has appeared in several high profile commercials.

Wade has emerged as an active force in the South Florida community participating in numerous charitable causes.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-spheatnotes03dec03,0,2445920.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

mabber
12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Cuban does a real nice job of getting opposing teams pumped to play the Mavs, so I really can't complain.

Do you really think that opposing players give a rat's ass about Cuban? :lol

Also, I would guess that there are very few players that wouldn't want to play for the Mavs because of Cuban. He takes care of his players (style of travel, perks etc.) better than any owner in the league.

Most opposing fans certainly hate him (deservedly so in most instances) but the players don't care.

sprrs
12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Do you really think that opposing players give a rat's ass about Cuban? :lol

Also, I would guess that there are very few players that wouldn't want to play for the Mavs because of Cuban. He takes care of his players (style of travel, perks etc.) better than any owner in the league.

Most opposing fans certainly hate him (deservedly so in most instances) but the players don't care.

I'd bet Wade cares. Cuban running his mouth off on Wade will just give him extra motivation. What about him talking smack about San Antonio. They might not say anything about it, but it'd be ridiculous for the Spurs not to have gotten motivation from that.

cheguevara
12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Cuban is a dick sucking piece of shit, he should go for gay owner of the year

mabber
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd bet Wade cares. Cuban running his mouth off on Wade will just give him extra motivation. What about him talking smack about San Antonio. They might not say anything about it, but it'd be ridiculous for the Spurs not to have gotten motivation from that.

Wade got motivated from Josh Howard saying he wasn't a very good outside shooter. These guys aren't playing against Cuban so assuming he says something they don't like, the motivation from it isn't gonna go very far (on court).

sprrs
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Wade got motivated from Josh Howard saying he wasn't a very good outside shooter. These guys aren't playing against Cuban so assuming he says something they don't like, the motivation from it isn't gonna go very far (on court).

It doesn't have to be the players. Whenever Kobe had a game the same day as a court hearing, everyone (the press) doubted he would be able to play at a high level becaue of distractions. He usually played amazing and proved them wrong. If someone says something bad about you, you're eager to make them eat their words.

Granted that only works certain players, but it does happen.