PDA

View Full Version : I Hate TIVO

johnsmith
12-02-2006, 10:04 PM
So I received TIVO as a gift about two weeks ago. I've been wanting a DVR for some time now but have been too lazy to call Time Warner (whom I also hate) and order one. So, I get this TIVO box and I quickly and excitedly open up the box. It tells me to register my TIVO first, I comply and register online only to find out that their is a monthly fee. Fine, I'll pay for that, I mean, you can't put a price on television viewing happiness can you? Anyway, I already realize that this isn't an HD TIVO, but I press on anyway thinking that this won't be a problem. Then I realize that you have to have your TIVO on a network, of which I've also been lazy about and haven't set up my house with wireless, there goes another $70. Then I find out that you have to buy a wireless adapter for the TIVO which of course isn't included, there is another $65. So now for the year contract plus the wireless stuff I've spent $280 on this "gift".

Then I get everything hooked up only to find that in order to watch live TV and record a different channel at the same time, eh, you have to split your cable so it goes into a seperate video on the TV because I don't have the "Dual Tuner" TIVO.

Fuck this present and I hope the person that gave it to me catches a cold tomorrow.

dallaskd
12-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I had tivo, now i have dish DVR. DVR is more simple and easyier to use, but Tivo lets you do more.

johnsmith
12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
I had tivo, now i have dish DVR. DVR is more simple and easyier to use, but Tivo lets you do more.

Which TIVO did you have?

In fact, if anyone on here can give me some advice on TIVO's, it would be appreciated as I'm stuck with it until next November or until I drive my car over it...........which ever comes first.

MannyIsGod
12-02-2006, 10:13 PM
:lol

That sucks man. My HD DVR from TW is the best thing about the service. I pretty much hate TW otherwise.

PM5K
12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah TW's DVR is about 100 times better, I mean the network is cable, you pay a monthly fee but you don't have to buy the box, it's got dual tuners, etc.

TIVO is good as well, but it's not the bang for buck winner...

And they replace my remote for free whenever I break it...

leemajors
12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
off topic, but i am getting a logitech harmony remote - anyone have one? in theory they sound great...

01Snake
12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
:lol

That sucks man. My HD DVR from TW is the best thing about the service. I pretty much hate TW otherwise.

Damn straight!

MannyIsGod
12-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I picked up a Sony Univeral Remote for 25 bucks that can learn functions and works for all of my components. I didn't want to throw down 100+ on a damn remote, and this seems to do all of the functions I need from it. The model # is RM-VL600

leemajors
12-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I picked up a Sony Univeral Remote for 25 bucks that can learn functions and works for all of my components. I didn't want to throw down 100+ on a damn remote, and this seems to do all of the functions I need from it. The model # is RM-VL600

i had one of those too, it had problems about 3 months after i bought it. i would have to reset it and relearn all the commands i had set it for, it sucked. getting the harmony as a christmas present. it has a usb connector so you can save your config on the pc for starters, and program it on your pc as long as you know which components are connected to which inputs.

PM5K
12-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I just smack my kids and tell them to change the channel...

PM5K
12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
i had one of those too, it had problems about 3 months after i bought it. i would have to reset it and relearn all the commands i had set it for, it sucked. getting the harmony as a christmas present. it has a usb connector so you can save your config on the pc for starters, and program it on your pc as long as you know which components are connected to which inputs.

If it's a present go for it...

MannyIsGod
12-02-2006, 10:52 PM
i had one of those too, it had problems about 3 months after i bought it. i would have to reset it and relearn all the commands i had set it for, it sucked. getting the harmony as a christmas present. it has a usb connector so you can save your config on the pc for starters, and program it on your pc as long as you know which components are connected to which inputs.Thats pretty cool. Hopefully this one won't crap out on me. There just seems like something is wrong to spend that much money on a remote. :lol

But yeah, I had 4 remotes on my coffee table and that got old fast.

PM5K
12-02-2006, 10:58 PM
He's not spending that much, it's a gift, gifts are free fool!

Clandestino
12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
my dvr from uverse can record 4 shows at one time!

1Parker1
12-02-2006, 11:47 PM

:tu I don't know exactly what more Tivo let's you do, I know it has additional features like it recommends what other shows/movies you'd like based on what you regularly record and other such features. However, I think the Dish DVR is good enough, you really don't need all those additional options. Dish is very, very simple to use.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2006, 12:10 AM
He's not spending that much, it's a gift, gifts are free fool!I've been getting screwed then. Everyone makes me pay for gifts.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2006, 12:10 AM
my dvr from uverse can record 4 shows at one time!Thats pretty damn awesome.

johnsmith
12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
:tu I don't know exactly what more Tivo let's you do, I know it has additional features like it recommends what other shows/movies you'd like based on what you regularly record and other such features. However, I think the Dish DVR is good enough, you really don't need all those additional options. Dish is very, very simple to use.

The one and only reason I've decided not to back over this stupid fucking TIVO is that I can send all my music from my computer to the TIVO and play it through there, so now I can eliminate my CD player.

johnsmith
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Being able to get remotes replaced for free is a big plus in my home. Especially since I'm a Cowboy fan.

Funny you say that, because I shattered one during the Broncos game last night.