PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with this team?

SenorSpur
12-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Despite the win over Sac-town, there's no reason to feel good about it for the following reasons:

1. Sac-town playing the 2nd half of a B2B after getting pounded by the Mavs the night before

2. No Ron Artest

3. Spurs coming off a 3-day layoff

All these factors and this team struggles to get a home win over an inferior opponent? Something is wrong with this picture.

All season long this team has played down to the level of its competition. Three home losses in the first month of the season - including a home loss to Charlotte. Road losses to GS and Seattle. No matter what type of lead they seem to have, they've somehow allow opposing teams back in the game. Something is wrong with this picture.

It's equally frustrating when I see the Mavs routinely jump out on teams and score in excess of 30 points per game on opponents on a regular basis. Meanwhile, they're on a 12-game winning streak and are beating teams they're supposed to beat - handily.

The Spurs are supposed to be one of the elite teams in the league. However, they're not showing it. So either this team is

A. Not as talented as we've been led to believe

B. Not as mentally strong as a championship contender should be

C. Misses Manu Ginobili terribly

D. All of the above

Perhaps all these factors play a role, but make no mistake - championship-level teams routinely exhibit a killer instinct and a regularly display a mental edge that separates them from pretenders. Thus far, I've not seen that from this team this year.

ducks
12-02-2006, 10:54 PM
spurs are not always sharp after a long break
kings did not have ron but spurs did not have manu
wash

ducks
12-02-2006, 10:54 PM
your post is ok but this is dec 2 not march 2

I would rather pop play with the rotions in dec not march

boutons_
12-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Spurs don't give a fuck until the last 10 - 15 games of the season.

SenorSpur
12-02-2006, 10:56 PM
your post is ok but this is dec 2 not march 2

I would rather pop play with the rotions in dec not march

Point taken. I just wish we had a clue as to what Pop (the Mad Scientist) is doing with the rotations.

PM5K
12-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Give me a fucking break, some people need to have their ability to post new topics revoked, any season is going to have it's ups and downs, but the Spurs still have one of the top records in the league....

SenorSpur
12-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Give me a fucking break, some people need to have their ability to post new topics revoked, any season is going to have it's ups and downs, but the Spurs still have one of the top records in the league....

...and some others should wake the fuck up.

I don't expect everyone to see my points. Obviously, it is a lonnnng season and there's no need to panic. However, there are legit concerns with the play of this team as it stands today.

ducks
12-02-2006, 11:01 PM
kings played last night but the starters did not because they got their asses kicked
and the kings got their asses ripped
so they came to play tonight

Budkin
12-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Why must it be this way? I want the Spurs to steamroll the rest of the league like they should. :lol

T Park
12-02-2006, 11:18 PM
there are legit concerns with the play of this team as it stands today.

Theres always legit concerns with the way this team plays before the all star break.

Que Gee
12-02-2006, 11:19 PM
spurs are not always sharp after a long break
kings did not have ron but spurs did not have manu
wash

Ron Artest is far more important to the Kings than Manu is to the Spurs. And its not like Manu was playing well before he got hurt.

Que Gee
12-02-2006, 11:23 PM
...and some others should wake the fuck up.

I don't expect everyone to see my points. Obviously, it is a lonnnng season and there's no need to panic. However, there are legit concerns with the play of this team as it stands today.

Totally agree with you. This team has issues. The offense is not running well. Multiple players are having shooting problems. Teams are beating us with their quickness...There are so many little bitches on this board. Your criticize the Spurs or Pop and they start running around the like the F'ing sky is falling.

Manu not playing, IS NOT the reason they are playing bad. I think there were some concerns before Manu even got hurt. On top of that, Manu himself was a concern when he was playing. Duncan and Barry, and Parker for the most part, have been the only Spurs that have played well and fairly consistent all season.

AND WHERE THE FUCK IS ELSON? Seems like the better you play on this team...the less you play. See also Matt Bonner.

T Park
12-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Seems like the better you play on this team...the less you play

Yeah of course, Barry's PT hasn't gone up at all this year.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Pop needs a vacation- notice I didn't say fired but his fourth quarter lineups are driving me insane. He allowed Sacramento back into this game by playing a WNBA lineup instead of stepping on their throats.

T Park
12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
See also Matt Bonner.

See Matt Bonner as being someone that couldn't defend a third grader.

The defense and turnovers is what made the game so close, not Matt Bonner not playing.

Elson when he was in there looked like his head was in the clouds.

The only guy that should've played over Finley down the stretch was Eric Williams.

TheSanityAnnex
12-02-2006, 11:32 PM
No props to the Sac D in the fourth quarter? :wtf

EVAY
12-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Despite the win over Sac-town, there's no reason to feel good about it for the following reasons:

1. Sac-town playing the 2nd half of a B2B after getting pounded by the Mavs the night before

2. No Ron Artest

All these factors and this team struggles to get a home win over an inferior opponent? Something is wrong with this picture.

All season long this team has played down to the level of its competition. Three home losses in the first month of the season - including a home loss to Charlotte. Road losses to GS and Seattle. No matter what type of lead they seem to have, they've somehow allow opposing teams back in the game. Something is wrong with this picture.

It's equally frustrating when I see the Mavs routinely jump out on teams and score in excess of 30 points per game on opponents on a regular basis. Meanwhile, they're on a 12-game winning streak and are beating teams they're supposed to beat - handily.

The Spurs are supposed to be one of the elite teams in the league. However, they're not showing it. So either this team is

D. All of the above

Perhaps all these factors play a role, but make no mistake - championship-level teams routinely exhibit a killer instinct and a regularly display a mental edge that separates them from pretenders. Thus far, I've not seen that from this team this year.

The answer is b and c above, plus unusually poor chemistry for a Spur team. You are right in your observations, and don't let simple apologists for the Spurs back you down.

Finley is upsetting the Spurs' team chemistry, IMO. If you watch, he is often on somebody or other's case, in public, fussing at them on the court for whatever infraction he thinks they have committed. First, I don't think someone who is contributing as little as he is has any right to be taking on anyone else. Second, I don't think he has been on the team long enough to telling our veterans what he thinks is wrong in public.

In short, we aren't winning the Westrn conference this way...we are good...we are not GREAT, and our inability to exhibit the mental toughness to win both games of back-to-backs, or to shoot free throws at a consistently high rate, both show poor mental toughness...And it starts with the coaching staff.

SequSpur
12-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Matt Bonner < Carl Herrera's Roadie.

leemajors
12-02-2006, 11:37 PM
No props to the Sac D in the fourth quarter? :wtf

they did something right, the ball stopped moving on the spurs side at the end of the 3rd.

Que Gee
12-02-2006, 11:39 PM
See Matt Bonner as being someone that couldn't defend a third grader.

The defense and turnovers is what made the game so close, not Matt Bonner not playing.

Elson when he was in there looked like his head was in the clouds.

The only guy that should've played over Finley down the stretch was Eric Williams.

Ya, because the Spurs are a team of such defensive stoppers. Bonner or anyone else being singled out is a joke. Finley, Barry, Bonner, Horry, take your pick...none of those guys can guard anyone 1 on 1 worth a shit anyways. The Spurs defensive scheme adjusts for that. So thats a pretty dumb point you are "trying" to make.

Defense and turnovers arewhat made the game close...instead of trying to write weak return posts. Why don't you read, if you can. Your going to tell me Robert Horry should be getting more minutes than Bonner right now? BS. The point I was writing about Bonner had nothing to do with "why" the game was close tonight.

Elson's head was in the clouds? Solid point once again.

And your right, Williams should have been playing over Finley. So thanks for backing up my point again...You play better than the person in front of you...you sit. Finley has gotten MORE than his opportunity this year. Its time for him to sit for a good month and see if it helps. Because thats what they did to Barry, and you know what...maybe it worked out for the better.

And Barry's playing time actually was going down in consecutive games even though he was shooting and playing well above anyone else.

PM5K
12-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Bottom line is your arguments or points are weak as shit, and don't merit the posting of a new topic...

Yeah Sacramento played a back to back, but against us their best players played over forty minutes, the night before, only twenty, which isn't much of a back to back.

They are missing Artest, we are missing Manu.

Three day layoff, who cares, three day layoff, back to back, whatever, you just have to play the games...

And as "handedly" as Dallas may be beating teams, we still have the higher differential...

sanman53
12-03-2006, 12:13 AM
After this game in November, it is obvious, it is time for us to rebuild. Trade all of our "stars" for high draft picks before this year's trading deadline.

[sarcasam]

SenorSpur
12-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Your comeback is even weaker. I don't give a shit about points differential. I will admit that is a key indicator, but the Spurs led the league in that category last year, yet lost in a heartbreaking series to the Mavs. In short, it don't mean shit.

It should be obvious to even YOU that this team has not "hit a stride". Look at the teams they've lost to to this point in the season. Look at the flawed execution on the court and defensive lapses. If you can't see that then you're blind.

T Park
12-03-2006, 12:40 AM
It should be obvious to even YOU that this team has not "hit a stride".

Nor would I wantt his team to hit its stride right now.

Hit its stride in May and April.

T Park
12-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Finley is upsetting the Spurs' team chemistry, IMO. If you watch, he is often on somebody or other's case, in public, fussing at them on the court for whatever infraction he thinks they have committed. First, I don't think someone who is contributing as little as he is has any right to be taking on anyone else. Second, I don't think he has been on the team long enough to telling our veterans what he thinks is wrong in public

You must be smoking the good stuff, cause Finley doesn't do that what so ever.

The only guy I saw chastising anyone, was Duncan chewing out Beno Udrih's ass int he third quarter.

FOr some reason Finley has gotten off to a rough start. THe ball might have a small part, and he just might be in a slump.

Benching him, or trading a guy, that came to this team for under market value, is a piss poor way of treating a FA like him.

What FA would you get to come, after him, if you do this to a guy like Fin?

FA will say, fuck that, if they treat a guy that took LESS to go there, like that? Fuck em, Ill take more money and be more apreciated.

T Park
12-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Bonner or anyone else being singled out is a joke. Finley, Barry, Bonner, Horry, take your pick...none of those guys can guard anyone 1 on 1 worth a shit anyways. The Spurs defensive scheme adjusts for that. So thats a pretty dumb point you are "trying" to make.

His defense within the system was horrible.

T Park
12-03-2006, 12:44 AM
:lmao @ my sig

Who dothed me with that?

PM5K
12-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Your comeback is even weaker. I don't give a shit about points differential. I will admit that is a key indicator, but the Spurs led the league in that category last year, yet lost in a heartbreaking series to the Mavs. In short, it don't mean shit.

It should be obvious to even YOU that this team has not "hit a stride". Look at the teams they've lost to to this point in the season. Look at the flawed execution on the court and defensive lapses. If you can't see that then you're blind.

If differential doesn't mean shit then why did you bring it up in the first place?

I'm sure they haven't hit their stride, just like every other team in the league they will have their ups and downs, nobody is going to win seventy two games this season...

PM5K
12-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh n0es, we aren't going to win the December Championship!

Duncanoypi
12-03-2006, 01:52 AM

2. No Ron Artest

D. All of the above

we won @ seattle...what basketball are you watching? :drunk

THE SIXTH MAN
12-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Obviously, it is a lonnnng season and there's no need to panic.
Exactly....

However, there are legit concerns with the play of this team as it stands today.
Legit concerns, yes. But at this point in the season those concerns can and will be addressed by the all star break. Its still early in the season and we still have some time to address those issues.

K-State Spur
12-03-2006, 02:11 AM
actually, jumping out to a big lead, almost blowing it, and barely holding on for the win reminds me of the best spurs teams of the past.

T Park
12-03-2006, 02:27 AM
The 05 team did that with regularity eary and late in the season.

Became notorious for it.

pjjrfan
12-03-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm not to worried, right now, for some reason the Spurs have a hard time starting out strong out of the gate. I'll be more worried if they are still playing like this after the allstar break.

I will admit though that Beno is beginning to look like a wash. I know Finley and Horry are struggling, but these guys are pros and will find ways to contribute down the line. I got a problem with Beno's lazy attitude as far as taking care of the ball and towing the line when Tony sits. At first I thought Beno was messing up because he was being rattled or had the jitters, but lately I'm beginning to see why the coaching staff is getting frustrated with his play. He doesn't play with any sense of urgency, other than the Houston game and a couple of plays here and there, the guy is not helping the team on a consistent basis.

And I don't believe Vaughn will be the answer for the long haul as far as this season is concerned, my guess is the FO will make some kind of move.

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2006, 03:32 AM
htf did we let martin go 30 on us, this is lame

SenorSpur
12-03-2006, 04:56 AM
If differential doesn't mean shit then why did you bring it up in the first place?

I'm sure they haven't hit their stride, just like every other team in the league they will have their ups and downs, nobody is going to win seventy two games this season...

Once again, you've somehow missed the point. The point of this thread has nothing whatsoever to do racking up an meaningless stats or with going undefeated. It's the fact that this team is struggling and has noticeable and uncharacteristic flaws - despite their record.

To truly become what we all hope they will become - a championship-caliber team - they're going to have to correct and overcome these flaws. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Kamnik
12-03-2006, 06:04 AM
:lmao @ my sig

Who dothed me with that?

:nutkick: