PDA

View Full Version : Final SC O play calls

Fabbs
12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
What do you all think of the 2nd down playcall?

SC 5:33 left own 29 yard line. Work the ball about 60 yards up to the UCLA 19 with a good variety of chain moving plays.

1st and 10 at UCLA 25 John David Booty pass complete to Chris McFoy for 6 yards to the UCLA 19.
2nd and 4 at UCLA 19 Approx 1:50 left in game.
At this juncture, I think Pete should have gone for 1st down all the way here, thereby setting up either
A: 4 more chucks at endzone.
B: Chance to get another 1st down near goaline.

Instead Pete chucked into the endzone for win. Had they scored, i guess Pete would have been immortalized. Somebody on the playcalling obviously thought they saw something. They did not, and i disagree with decision to go for it all on 2nd and 4 with huge 1:50 left in game.

3rd and 4 at UCLA 19 John David Booty pass intercepted by Eric McNeal at the UCLA 20, (The Chargers Donny Edwards type interception) Game over.

Mr Dio
12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
The Greatness that is Pete Carroll, the Master of the Dynasty.
He is the Yoda of College Football Coaches. :lol

JamStone
12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
At that point in the game, it's four down territory anyway. Down 4 points, they were not going to go for a field goal. Thereby, even missing on second down, you have two downs to get the first down.

Anyone can second guess a decision in retrospect. It might not have been the best call. But, it certainly wasn't a horrible call to throw it in the endzone on second down.

Fabbs
12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
At that point in the game, it's four down territory anyway. Down 4 points, they were not going to go for a field goal. Thereby, even missing on second down, you have two downs to get the first down.

Do you see any advantage to getting a 1st down?