PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Golden moment inspires Ginobili still

Rick Von Braun
11-04-2004, 11:56 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA110404.1C.COLharvey.2134494a.html

Buck Harvey: Golden moment inspires Ginobili still

Web Posted: 11/04/2004 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

First week back in town, Manu Ginobili stopped by the Spurs' practice facility for show-and-tell. Want to see what an Olympic gold medal looks like?

Tim Duncan, Ginobili remembers, didn't want to see. They traded a few jokes, and teammates joined in.

Ginobili hasn't let up. He has continued to flaunt his medal, culminating with Wednesday's season opener. Then he wore his gold for all to see.

It just wasn't around his neck.

Ginobili didn't make much of his 24-point, nine-rebound night against Sacramento. Ginobili said he thought his style fit the Kings, and, besides, his bronze medal-winning teammate didn't do too badly, either.

Asked afterward if Spurs coach Gregg Popovich ran more plays for him, Ginobili nodded. "But it's just the way it worked out," he said, downplaying any significance.

Popovich doesn't downplay it. Popovich loved Ginobili's toughness and creativity before, but now he sees something else going on.

Ginobili starting the opener wasn't part of that. Ginobili started a year ago, too, before moving to the bench about halfway through the season.

But the strategy switch wasn't a demotion. Hedo Turkoglu needed the confidence boost that comes with starting games.

This roster isn't built the same way. Brent Barry has been around too long to care, and Devin Brown showed last year against the Lakers in the playoffs that he comes with his own, built-in boost.

Besides, Ginobili did well as a starter a year ago. Early in the season, with Duncan out, Ginobili went for 33 points and 12 rebounds in a double-overtime loss to the Lakers.

Contributing to a championship as a rookie also suggested Ginobili could play, as did his new contract with the Spurs this past summer. And an anonymous evaluation by a scout suggested something else. Ginobili, the scout told a magazine, is one of the 10 best in the league with the ball in the closing minutes of games.

But winning a gold medal for Argentina in the summer added emotions that even Ginobili has struggled to describe.

"I think you should be a kind of poet to explain those feelings," he said.

He tried anyway: "With 30 seconds left, we were already 12, 14 points up, and I remember my skin already starting to feel like the hair is rising up, like the goose. How do you call it? Goose bumps." http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Popovich, a U.S. assistant coach, and Duncan felt a different set of bumps in Athens. But as time passed, Popovich began to see why the United States not winning the gold medal wasn't all bad for his locker room.

"Everybody says the NBA is different and all that," Popovich said. "Well, I was there (in Athens), and that is an emotional, heartfelt, big-time competition. Anybody who says less is just copping out."

The way Popovich saw it, Ginobili led Argentina the way great players lead NBA teams. And it affected Ginobili.

"He gained confidence, even though he is a confident, committed athlete already," Popovich said. "I think it really made him feel like he belongs in the top echelon of players on this planet. Not that he would ever act like that or say that to you, but I think deep down in his gut, he knows that he is one hell of a competitor and he knows what it takes to win."

Popovich treated him that way Wednesday. He ran plays for Ginobili to end quarters and to stop Sacramento runs, and Popovich thinks this makes Ginobili better, too. Now Ginobili is more patient because he knows his moments are coming.

One came toward the end of the first quarter, with Duncan sitting. Ginobili turned the corner for a left-handed drive, then found Barry with a 50-foot pass for a layup. He began the next quarter with a string of free throws until Duncan returned.

And when Ginobili threw in a 3-pointer in the fourth quarter for a 16-point lead? Ginobili pumped his fist as he did a few times in Athens.

"I was just happy," he said, "I had actually made one." http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

So much for flaunting.

Still, Ginobili can't help but show what he has. He plays differently now, as if the summer in Athens altered his stature, as if the medal is somewhere inside of him.

But visible.

[email protected]

Jimcs50
11-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Nice article, Buck.

TwoHandJam
11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Yes, great article. It seems Pop is really figuring out how to use Manu now and that's huge for our team. I've always thought that Manu could be used like Kobe was when he and Shaq were together. Duncan, like Shaq is the steam engine that cranks out the points through 3 quarters while Manu can be used to churn out those end-of-quarter spurts that kill the momentum of the other team. In the 4th, when Tim is starting to feel the burn, Manu can pick up more of the scoring load and be the clutch player he naturally is while still supported by Tony and Tim. It's very much the way Jackson used to use Kobe and we all know how effective that system was.

smeagol
11-04-2004, 12:57 PM
One thing that everybody overlooked when critizicing Manu for going to the Olympics and not staying in SA and working on his game, was the fact that if he had a good performance, let alone win the gold medal, this would be as beneficial for his game as practicing every day throughout the summer.

Luckily, he did win the gold, and this appears to be not only a great confidence boost for him, but also it helped Pop see what Manu is capable of doing when he is "The Man" in the court.

All in all, going to the olympics was a gamble and I think it will pay off (and also, it meant a Gold Medal for my country :spin )

Solid D
11-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I haven't seen too many guys be able to go behind their back during hard contact, in an effort to keep from getting locked up by his defender like Manu can. It's pretty amazing watching him do that.

He's got more confidence and he's not really making as many mistakes as he did last year or his rookie year. Manu is correct, though, when he says his style fit the Kings. Matt Barnes had a tough time keeping up with him. The Kings didn't pack the lane like some teams do and they really lacked the size to give Manu problems on his penetrations.

SpursWoman
11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Nice article. Manu played inspired ball last night.

I haven't seen too many guys be able to go behind their back during hard contact, in an effort to keep from getting locked up by his defender like Manu can. It's pretty amazing watching him do that.

I prayed they'd show a quick replay of that on the Jumbotron, but if they did I missed it. That was awesome.