PDA

View Full Version : The Wire

Pages : [1] 2

atxrocker
12-03-2006, 03:17 AM
This is an awesome show. Only coupla episodes left for the season. Anyone else watching?

Saigon
12-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Fuck The Wire, you need to get on your grind kid and keep watching them Entourage re-runs.

atxrocker
12-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Fuck The Wire, you need to get on your grind kid and keep watching them Entourage re-runs.

Fuck that shit. Entourage is great but the wire is more than solid. a very good series.

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
The Wire is HBO's best series ever. But I started a thread about it a year or two ago and nobody responded.

1Parker1
12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
The Wire is HBO's best series ever.

No way it can be better than Sex and the City...:spin

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I have always wanted to watch The Wire but never got around to it. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with one long month of watching every DVD sometime soon.

Fillmoe
12-03-2006, 11:51 AM
i used to love the wire.... but this season i havent watched a single episode

PM5K
12-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah I made a post about Brotherhood and nobody fucking responded, pieces of shit...

I too will probably one day binge on The Wire...

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 01:02 PM
No way it can be better than Sex and the City...:spinOkay, The Wire is HBO's best series ever for heterosexual males.

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 01:04 PM
i used to love the wire.... but this season i havent watched a single episodeThis year is slightly different from the others in that the focus is on schools and the Mayor's office, and not much on the Major Crimes Unit.

Still, great writing and intricate plotting. I'd probably be frustrated except for the fact that I can watch the shows repeatedly on HBO On Demand.

Mark in Austin
12-03-2006, 06:11 PM
The Wire is simply amazing. It is the best show I've ever seen on television.

Mr Dio
12-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Oz, Wire & Sopranos are all awesome.

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Dayum.

Mr Dio
12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Is it me or does that kid Michael, have a HOT moms?????

Mr Prezbo, always trying to do right.
I feel bad for DeQuan.

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 11:35 PM
It's just you living up to your title.

The hottie is the teacher in that special group class.

Mr Dio
12-04-2006, 01:04 AM
It's just you living up to your title.

The hottie is the teacher in that special group class.

Indeed.
Her and Snoop, 3some!!!

ShoogarBear
12-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Snoop. :lmao

Mr Dio
12-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Man, it is gettin' gooooood.
I'm going to rent the 1st 2 seasons (if they're out) & watch them this wk.

I loved the season with the Greek.
"Always there is more."

TheTruth
12-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I had never watched an episode until i had to go out of town for work. They were showing a mini marathon of the newest season, and the show blew me away. People tell me this is the weakest season yet. So, I am very psyched to rent the first few season.

Guru of Nothing
12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I had never watched an episode until i had to go out of town for work. They were showing a mini marathon of the newest season, and the show blew me away. People tell me this is the weakest season yet. So, I am very psyched to rent the first few season.

I agree this is the best drama ever on TV, and I think this season is just as good as previous ones. The junior high storyline is excellent.

The character development is as good as it gets. I find myself empathizing with drug-dealers and understanding murderers. Amazing.

Mark in Austin
12-04-2006, 11:39 PM
I agree. I think this season is just as good as season three, if not better. If I had to rank them, it would be:

Season 1
Season 4
Season 3
Season 2

If this show doesn't take home an emmy this year it will be a fucking crime.

Fillmoe
12-04-2006, 11:43 PM
that nigga boadie got done up!

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Just saw the last episode of the year on HBO On Demand.

Nice, but a lot of things unsettled for next year. And some interesting tie-ins to previous years.

jman3000
12-06-2006, 07:20 AM
was the last episode the one where michael fucks up that little kid then later on bitch slaps his friend?

i missed like 2 episodes before carcetti wins the mayoral campaign so i'm definately renting.

MI21
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Can someone give me a quick rundown about what this show is about? I've never seen an episode or even heard of it, we don't get good TV down here in Australia.

Do tell.

Mr Dio
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.hbo.com/thewire/

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
was the last episode the one where michael fucks up that little kid then later on bitch slaps his friend? That one is the next-to-last one.

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Can someone give me a quick rundown about what this show is about? I've never seen an episode or even heard of it, we don't get good TV down here in Australia.

Do tell.The website Dio gave is probably the best place for info.

It's impossible to describe in a synopsis, but basically it's about a special Major Crimes Unit in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, which was originally formed to deal with drug dealers in the inner city. However, the show spends as much time with the drug dealers and their families as with the cops. It also branches out into politics of the mayor's office, internal police politics, union corruption on the city shipping docks (in previous years), and the public school system (this year). There's about 15 main characters and about double that in terms of significant minor ones, so you have to pay close
attention pretty much from beginning to end of each episode or you miss something. (I usually find myslef watchign each episode at least twice because the dialogue and accents get pretty thick.)

Anyway, the plotting is incredibily detailed (and the depiction of police work reportedly very realistic). and the actors, mostly a bunch of unknowns and some actually recruited off the streets of Baltimore, is great.

jman3000
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
thoughts on the season finale? i don't know if y'all have already seen it or wait for the re-runs throughout the week.

apparently season number 5 is the last one, so it should be a good one. the thing that has me thinking is that they're setting up the carcetti thing like he's going to be running for governor in 2 years... so maybe due to the popularity of the show they'll stretch it out a bit more.

TheTruth
02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I've finally gotten around to watching season 1 on DVD, and it truly one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Mr Dio
02-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I've finally gotten around to watching season 1 on DVD, and it truly one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Did you rent or buy it?
I think I may buy the 1st 2 seasons.

Bandit2981
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Omar Little is one of the best characters I've ever seen on a TV series.

http://www.citypaper.com/sb/38583/wire-omar.jpg

Ginofan
02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you rent or buy it?
I think I may buy the 1st 2 seasons.
Bought them. Tired of waiting for Blockbuster customers to return fucking disk 4.

Mark in Austin
02-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been a huge fan of the show since I caught the first four episodes of season one over the fourth of July when I was staying, ironically enough, in D.C. It is the finest television series I have ever seen. Here are a couple more reviews:

Season One at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0002ERXC2/sr=8-1/qid=1171162222/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5392097-1262222?ie=UTF8&s=dvd)

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
After one episode of The Wire you'll be hooked. After three, you'll be astonished by the precision of its storytelling. After viewing all 13 episodes of the HBO series' remarkable first season, you'll be cheering a bona-fide American masterpiece. Series creator David Simon was a veteran crime reporter from The Baltimore Sun who cowrote the book that inspired TV's Homicide, and cowriter Ed Burns was a Baltimore cop, lending impeccable street-cred to an inner-city Baltimore saga (and companion piece to The Corner) that Simon aptly describes as "a visual novel" and "a treatise on institutions and individuals" as opposed to a conventional good-vs.-evil police procedural. Owing a creative debt to the novels of Richard Price (especially Clockers), the series opens as maverick Detective Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West, in a star-making role) is tapping into a vast network of drugs and death around southwest Baltimore's deteriorating housing projects. With a mandate to get results ASAP, a haphazard team is assembled to join McNulty's increasingly complex investigation, built upon countless hours of electronic surveillance.
The show's split-perspective plotting is so richly layered, so breathtakingly authentic and based on finely drawn characters brought to life by a perfect ensemble cast, that it defies concise description. Simon, Burns, and their cowriters control every intricate aspect of the unfolding epic; directors are top-drawer (including Clark Johnson, helmer of The Shield's finest episodes), but they are servants to the story, resulting in a TV series like no other: unpredictable, complicated, and demanding the viewer's rapt attention, The Wire is "an angry show" (in Simon's words) that refuses to comfort with easy answers to deep-rooted societal problems. Moral gray zones proliferate in a universe where ruthless killers have a logical code, and where the cops are just as ambiguous as their targets. That ambiguity extends to the ending as well; season 1 leaves several issues unresolved, leaving you begging for the even more impressive developments that await in season 2. --Jeff Shannon

Season Three at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Third-Season/dp/B000FTCLSU/sr=8-2/qid=1171162222/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-5392097-1262222?ie=UTF8&s=dvd)

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
With volatile issues of Baltimore city political reform as its narrative focus, the third season of The Wire superbly maintains the series' astonishingly consistent status as the greatest "novel for television" ever created. While the Baltimore police department's wire-tapping investigations continue to monitor the intricate and now legitimately fronted drug ring of Russell "Stringer" Bell (Idris Elba, smooth as ever), detective Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West) continues his loutish ways, navigating through a series of shallow sexual conquests while doing some of the best cop-work of his career. Stringer's ex-convict partner Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris) is back in the picture and bent on eliminating a drug-dealing competitor named Marlo (Jamie Hector), and Baltimore P.D. Major Howard "Bunny" Colvin (Robert Wisdom) tries his own defiantly independent brand of street justice by essentially legalizing drugs in "Hamsterdam," where isolated sections of the city are established as open drug-dealing zones, utterly without the knowledge or approval of Colvin's superiors. As city councilman Tommy Carcetti (Aiden Gillen) plots his own ruthlessly ambitious strategy for the mayor's seat, Baltimore officials, McNulty's wire unit, and the entire Baltimore P.D. stand poised for the inevitable fallout from street-level and executive-level manipulations of power.
Of course, this is just the tip of a very large iceberg, as The Wire continues its labyrinthine yet tightly controlled chronicle of over 50 characters, major and minor, who are all flawlessly woven into the fabric of these 12 remarkable episodes. For season 3, series creator David Simon continued to recruit a top-drawer lineup of reputable writers (including novelists Richard Price, Dennis Lehane, and George Pelecanos) and directors (including Ernest Dickerson, Tim Van Patten, and Agnieszka Holland), and by the time a major character is killed in the season's penultimate episode (arguably the series' finest yet), it's clear that The Wire has earned its crown as the most ambitious and intelligent crime drama in the history of American television. DVD extras are excellent, as usual, including five illuminating episode commentaries (an absolute must for devoted fans of the series), a Q&A session with cast & crew moderated by renowned TV critic and author Ken Tucker, and a classroom conversation with Simon that delves deeper into the creative process of the series. Having deservedly earned its renewal for a fourth season (out of a projected five, according to Simon), The Wire delivers surprises aplenty (keep a close watch for startling revelations) while proving, yet again, that cable-TV is the place to be for anyone seeking respite from the relative mediocrity of mainstream network programming. --Jeff Shannon

TheTruth
02-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Just completed all 4 seasons, and I think it is safe to say that this is the best television series that I have ever watched.

My fav. seasons in order are

The fight over the kids was really awesome TV. I loved the fact that the one Mayoral candidate running on a School Reform Platform finished a distant 3rd. Michael Lee is really a heartbreaking character.

Oh, and Herc sucks.

TheTruth
02-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Omar Little is one of the best characters I've ever seen on a TV series.

http://www.citypaper.com/sb/38583/wire-omar.jpg
Him and Bubbles.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7787/bubblesmv6.jpg

TheTruth
02-18-2007, 11:07 AM
The website Dio gave is probably the best place for info.

It's impossible to describe in a synopsis, but basically it's about a special Major Crimes Unit in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, which was originally formed to deal with drug dealers in the inner city. However, the show spends as much time with the drug dealers and their families as with the cops. It also branches out into politics of the mayor's office, internal police politics, union corruption on the city shipping docks (in previous years), and the public school system (this year). There's about 15 main characters and about double that in terms of significant minor ones, so you have to pay close
attention pretty much from beginning to end of each episode or you miss something. (I usually find myslef watchign each episode at least twice because the dialogue and accents get pretty thick.)

Anyway, the plotting is incredibily detailed (and the depiction of police work reportedly very realistic). and the actors, mostly a bunch of unknowns and some actually recruited off the streets of Baltimore, is great.
This synopsis is probably the biggest reason why most people haven't gotten into this show. Too much going on if you don't have the time to devote to each episode every week. No cases closed on this series.

Spurminator
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know what took me so long to watch this show, but it was worth the wait.

I just finished Season 3 over the course of three days. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more perfect season of television in my life. I can't wait to finish season 4 so I can start all over.

TheTruth
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Not a single nomination? This is fucking insane. The Wire is the best TV anyone will ever watch. Fuck the Emmys.

Mark in Austin
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
At some point even people who generally don't view most events through the prism of race relations really have to start wondering if the continued emmy snubs are racial in nature.

I wonder if this show would be treated the same if this was a 90% white cast instead of 90% black?

ShoogarBear
10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Outstanding article in The New Yorker on The Wire:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/22/071022fa_fact_talbot?printable=true

It is a long-ass article, so I'm not going to paste it here. But if you're a Wire fan, it's a must-read.

jman3000
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
shit... you werent kidding about it being a long article.... but a good read nonetheless.

cant wait for the new season.

Spurminator
10-17-2007, 04:37 PM
An article about "The Wire" in The New Yorker? Of course it's outstanding. And about 13 people will read it.

TheTruth
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Great article. Great show. Looking forward to the final season.

Mark in Austin
10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Damn that was a long article. One of the best paragraphs - it sums up what the creators were really trying to do:

Simon makes it clear that the show’s ambitions were grand. “ ‘The Wire’ is dissent,” he says. “It is perhaps the only storytelling on television that overtly suggests that our political and economic and social constructs are no longer viable, that our leadership has failed us relentlessly, and that no, we are not going to be all right.” He also likes to say that “The Wire” is a story about the “decline of the American empire.” Simon’s belief in the show is a formidable thing, and it leads him into some ostentatious comparisons that he sometimes laughs at himself for and sometimes does not. Recently, he spoke at Loyola College, in Baltimore; he described the show in lofty terms that left many of the students in the audience puzzled—at least, those who had come hoping to hear how they might get a job in Hollywood. In creating “The Wire,” Simon said, he and his colleagues had “ripped off the Greeks: Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripides. Not funny boy—not Aristophanes. We’ve basically taken the idea of Greek tragedy and applied it to the modern city-state.” He went on, “What we were trying to do was take the notion of Greek tragedy, of fated and doomed people, and instead of these Olympian gods, indifferent, venal, selfish, hurling lightning bolts and hitting people in the ass for no reason—instead of those guys whipping it on Oedipus or Achilles, it’s the postmodern institutions . . . those are the indifferent gods.”

ShoogarBear
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I thought this provide some nice insight into the different yearly themes:

“The Wire,” Simon often says, is a show about how contemporary American society—and, particularly, “raw, unencumbered capitalism”—devalues human beings. He told me, “Every single moment on the planet, from here on out, human beings are worth less. We are in a post-industrial age. We don’t need as many of us as we once did. So, if the first season was about devaluing the cops who knew their beats and the corner boys slinging drugs, then the second was about devaluing the longshoremen and their labor, the third about people who wanted to make changes in the city, and the fourth was about kids who were being prepared, badly, for an economy that no longer really needs them. And the fifth? It’s about the people who are supposed to be monitoring all this and sounding the alarm—the journalists. The newsroom I worked in had four hundred and fifty people. Now it’s got three hundred. Management says, ‘We have to do more with less.’ That’s the bullshit of bean counters who care only about the bottom line. You do less with less.”

Oh, Gee!!
10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
In anticipation of Season Five, I'm going back and watching all the previous seasons again. Right now I'm watching seasons one and two on HBO-On Demand, and after that I'm gonna rent seasons three and four. I'm totally geeked for season 5.

Spurminator
10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
"Snoop" is doing an interview on The Ticket in Dallas about her new book. On right now.

http://www.theticket.com/listen.htm

atxrocker
12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
i watched a rerun of the "misgivings" episode on HBO last night and the ending was fucking INTENSE!

TheTruth
12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Bodie got got

TheTruth
12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
that episode?

atxrocker
01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
final season starts tomorrow, bitches

ShoogarBear
01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
True.
True.
False.

atxrocker
01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
good episode. nice start to the season.

Mark in Austin
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Toughts on the opener:

I didn't think Herc could become more of a clueless idiot than he was last season, but I was wrong.

McNulty drinking again. Sheeeeeeeyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiittttt.

Marlo is still an enigma.

Council President gets some dirt on her. About time.

Carver is gradualy becomming the anchor character of all five seasons, going from fuckup,to well-meaning, to ... veteran? I didn't see this coming from season one.

Carccetti should have taken the governor's money. Interesting that it looks like that one selfish political decision is going to be the trigger for so much shit this season.

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against the slippery Senator Davis. (sshhhhhhhheeeeyyyyyiiiiittt!)

Good to see a season two tie-in.

The media angle this season is in my opinion the perfect prism to view this last season through.

atxrocker
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
shit is about to hit the fan. omar's boy was hardcore till the end.

ShoogarBear
01-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Omar is serious.

It looks like Chris' time is coming to an end next episode?

That guy Templeton at The Sun is making shit up left and right. And so are McNulty and now Freamon.

mrose31
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I wonder if Omar will hire Brother Mouzone to take down Marlo. Just like Stringer.

TheTruth
01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Gotdamn this show just keeps getting better. They are showing the episodes a week early on HBO on demand, so I won't talk about next weeks episode. But damn it, Mcnulty just can't help himself. What a douchebag. Omar is gonna go medieval on Chris. It's gonna be awesome.

One of the characters that has been around since season 1 dies in next weeks episode. BOOOM!

atxrocker
01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
:pctoss

I knew I shoulda picked up HBO on demand. I hate having to wait till next week.

atxrocker
01-28-2008, 04:11 PM
thoughts on this weeks episode?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

*****SPOILER*****

I thought the way Prop Joe went out was weak.

I mean Marlowe's speech wasn't bad, but the fact that it was all over within 30 seconds was a bit anti-climactic for me, personally.

I can't wait till next week's episode, as it looks like Omar is gonna have a shootout with Chris and Snoop.

Apparently episodes 5-8 have leaked online.

TheTruth
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
What were you hoping for? A shootout in the streets? Prop Joe's nephew turned him over to a rival drug dealer. That's a cold ass way to go. Marlow is a bad dude, but man his fall is gonna be hard. I'm just hoping that McNulty gets to put him away, as apposed to the Stringer Bell ending. Though it would be cool as hell to see Omar get his whole crew one by one.

Omar is a baaaaaad man.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
oh man Omar has to get the final shot on Marlow. I wonder if the next episode will be the demise of Chris/Snoop.

Findog
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Apparently episodes 5-8 have leaked online.

Where can you find them?

Findog
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Joe should've known better than to try and mentor Marlo and take him under his wing. For someone as savvy as him, how could he not see that Marlo is a divide and conquer kind of guy?

Findog
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
oh man Omar has to get the final shot on Marlow. I wonder if the next episode will be the demise of Chris/Snoop.

I think it's just Marlo sans the W. Actually, I think Omar is gonna take out Michael first. He said he was coming after his people first. I do hope Chris and Snoop get it. Snoop bugs the shit out of me, even more than Marlo or Chris.

Findog
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
pm me if you want details on where to watch eps 5-7 online

ShoogarBear
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Hokey Smokes.

The Wire had their own Super Bowl of sorts tonight. Game wasn't decided, thought.

Mark in Austin
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
craziest season ever. this is the first time that I have no clue how things are going to turn out - or even which direction the show will head.

The scene in the Sun's conference room where McNulty and the reporter both double down on the serial killer story... man, great scene.

I still have some issues with believeability though. The serial killer storyline is the first one on The Wire that hasn't felt completely real. It's a little hollywood. That being said, I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Sheeeeeyyyyyyiiit.

TheTruth
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah man. Clay Davis gave us an epic SHEEEEEEEYYYYIIIIIIIITTTTTT last night. Omar got punked, but you know he's gone come back with a vengance. Fuck this show is good.

The look McNulty gave that reporter when they realized they were both lying was priceless.

atxrocker
02-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Omar is a baaaaaad man.

no lie

ShoogarBear
02-13-2008, 03:02 AM
That's some Spider-Man shit there.

ShoogarBear
02-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Man, only four episodes left til series end! :madrun

xcoriate
02-14-2008, 07:06 AM
^ Forever.

Man this season is wack I'm loving it. I have to d/l every ep cause we don't get it in Australia but it's one of the bets series I've ever seen. The characters are soooo good.

They need more Carver this season!

TheTruth
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Man, Omar is starting to rip shit up.

ShoogarBear
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Dayum. :(

TheTruth
02-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Omar got done like a punk. SHIIIIT!!! That was fucked up!!!!!!!!!!

BonnerDynasty
02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
WTF ever happened to Deadwood :(

Spurminator
02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I hated seeing Omar go out like that, but watching it a second time, that was friggin brilliant. The camera doesn't even leave Omar... You hear Canard come in but you don't see him; you see Omar shoot him a glance but he doesn't think anything of it. For as cautious as Omar has always been, some little hopper coming into a convenience store is meaningless. And the way it was shot, the gun shot came out of nowhere.

Mr Dio
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Watching Michael get the jump on Snoop was pretty cool, that bitch had some 'tude! I wonder who is going to take over when Marlo & his top guys pull chain.

I can't wait til Monday to see the finale!

ShoogarBear
03-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Snoop is bad-ass.

Lester Freeman is a bad-ass, too, but he and McNulty are going down hard.

ShoogarBear
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I can't wait til Monday to see the finale!:lol

HBO dicked you. They're not showing the finale on On Demand until next week.

Mark in Austin
03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Have to say I had tears in my eyes hearing Bubble's testimony. I love this show.

Spurminator
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Man, McNulty is a dead man walking and he knows it.

I wonder if Marlo and his crew will get out because of the illegal wire tap? I don't think any of this will have a happy ending.

Clay Davis will be home free once Lester gets locked up on this. Marlo and his crew will get out once the wire tap is discovered. Daniels, Bunk and Carver will lose their jobs... maybe Kima too. Michael will be killed for offing Snoop (unless Marlo believes Snoop was the snitch).

And at the very end Bubbles will probably get hit by a car or something.

:depressed

ShoogarBear
03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Spurm is right. Everybody is going down in some form or other. It's going to be an Elizabethan body count.

It was nice seeing Namond making something out of himself, though.

I predict that the only one walking away clean at the end will be Templeton.

Spurminator
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
They're doing a pretty good job of giving closure to a lot of past characters without seeming forced or cheesy.

Spurminator
03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Great finale. Couldn't have asked for anything more... though I wish they could have stretched it into two or three more episodes.

:toast to the best TV series I've ever watched. And here's hoping Simon and Burns team up for another one in the near future.

Findog
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't be pissed about Marlo. He can't stay away from the streets. Him walking away from the developers circle-jerk is proof of that. He had all that money and power to begin with, and he had to knock off Prop Joe and consolidate his hold on the East side. And now he's going to put on a suit and go legit after he had been pursuing power for power's sake?

Most heartbreaking and tragic scene was Dukie shooting up with the old man. I know it's a tv show, but there are Dukies out there meeting this end. Can't get that scene out of my head.

TheTruth
03-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Dukie = Bubbles
Sydnor = McNulty
Michael = Omar

The flash forwards showed us that things aren't ever gonna change. I can see Dukie in 20 years trying to pull off the Capers that Bubbles did in earlier seasons. Sydnor going to the judge to bitch about something fucked up in the department. Michael sticking up the rim shop. Perfect ending for the greatest show ever. Fucking Valchek.

TheTruth
03-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Oh, and I wish they would have showed us that douchebag getting his pulitzer taken away.

Evan
03-10-2008, 07:53 AM
I could not have asked for more. What a perfect ending to a wonderful show. Reminded me of the ending to 6 feet under.

During the ending of both shows Aliens could have appeared in my room and I may not have noticed I was so transfixed on the TV.

What's next for HBO? Showtime has them against the roapes with a handful fo great shows and HBO has Entourage and what else coming downt he line?

Evan
03-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Expensive to make and I think it only carried a small niche audience. Like Rome.

They were going to make a mini series ending but from what I have heard that got scrapped.

TheTruth
03-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Generation Kill is being made by the same group that made the Wire. 7 hour miniseries to air on HBO. I don't know much about it other than it takes place during the early parts of the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I have watched every episode. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and all the episodes this season on the DVR. It's simply the best TV series ever (for heterosexual males LOL) Very gritty, very real, great casting, great writing. Just the best.

TheTruth
03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I have watched every episode. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and all the episodes this season on the DVR. It's simply the best TV series ever (for heterosexual males LOL) Very gritty, very real, great casting, great writing. Just the best.
+1

atxrocker
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
finally watched the finale. what an amazing show. too bad it's over. excellent all around.

ShoogarBear
03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Dukie = Bubbles
Sydnor = McNulty
Michael = Omar
Yep, and Carver = Daniels.

I agree that season should have last 2-3 more episodes. The end seemed rushed. Still, it was the best piece of TV ever.

ShoogarBear
03-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Okay, so who was the best police in the show?

Landsman said it was McNulty at the "wake", and he's got a point. But I think the baddest-ass cop of the bunch was Freamon.

Greggs, Bunk, and Daniels all had their moments, too.

ShoogarBear
03-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh, yeah, and the way Cheese went out was classic.

Findog
03-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Landsman said it was McNulty at the "wake", and he's got a point. But I think the baddest-ass cop of the bunch was Freamon.

I would say Bunk because he was just as much the investigator that Freamon and McNulty was, but he retained his honor.

Spurminator
03-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Daniels ended up being my favorite towards the middle of Season 5, and the finale clinched it for me.

ShoogarBear
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I would say Bunk because he was just as much the investigator that Freamon and McNulty was, but he retained his honor.Yeah, but at the end even Bunk dipped into McNulty's dirty money to close his case. Kima was the only one who stayed pure throughout. She even told Freamon and McNulty she was the one who turned them in.

Mark in Austin
03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
The last season was originally supposed to be 13 episodes, but HBO shortened the order to 10. I think that is why it felt rushed - especially the Clay Davis/money trail storyline.

The only thing I would change is when McNulty stops the car and gets out to look at the city at the end, they should have used the same music they used in the montage at the end of season one.

Deadwood was killed because the same team came up with John from Cincinnati and HBO liked that POS better.

Spurminator
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
The last season was originally supposed to be 13 episodes, but HBO shortened the order to 10. I think that is why it felt rushed - especially the Clay Davis/money trail storyline.

Actually, according to David Simon...

I've heard people speculating, and the truth is, when HBO said to me, "Can you do it in eight episodes?" early on in the season, I said, "No, there's no way to accomplish what we want to do in eight." I knew I didn't need 13. We had become a 12-episode show except for season four, and the only reason season four had a 13th episode was because we had to fill in some of the political backstory. Originally, we intended to play the election as a separate political piece between seasons three and four; that was not approved, so we needed to squeeze a little more politics into the season-four story, in terms of the election and the run-up to the election. So we were looking at 12. I said "I can't do eight," and they said, "Can you try to beat it out in 10?" I said I'd try, and they said if it didn't work, it didn't work. So we started beating it out in 10, and it became clear that it could work. Ultimately, it came pretty close to working, but halfway through the season, I realized we were backing up a little bit, and I asked for an extra half-hour on the last one. It's a 90-minute episode. If I had needed an extra hour, I'm fairly convinced I could've asked [HBO President] Carolyn Strauss for it, and if I needed an extra two, I think I could've gotten it at that point.

I made a good-faith commitment to try to do it in 10. There's obviously limited production budget at any studio, and they also happened to have given me seven hours of an Iraq miniseries [the upcoming Generation Kill] in the same year. There's a lot of priority going around. There are a lot of other priorities that have nothing to do with me. If I'd needed the 12, I think I could have gotten the 12. If I had had the extra, would I have used it on the main story that you see? Probably not. We had what we needed of those stories.

I wouldn't have done more of the major plotlines. There would have been more of… With another half-hour, I probably could have managed to run Cutty's story through… That's the stuff that we had to make a choice about. Part of that was, "Should we run a Cutty story, or has he reached that point of redemption that is appropriate for the character, and is there more to say about Cutty? Or is he at the place he should be at the end of this run? And is Prez at the place he should be?" That was the other story. We decided we'd said what we needed to about those characters and about those environments, and that we were gilding the lily. If we had been insistent about extending the story to all of the limbs of the tree, so to speak, I don't think HBO would have denied us. I've read a lot of angst over, "HBO didn't give him enough time, and it felt rushed." I think people thought it felt rushed because everybody knew it was the last 10! Every single episode, everyone realized, "They can only do this. They're not going to have room for that. I want them to do this, I want to see more of this guy. I want to see the kids more." That's my guess. Maybe it felt rushed because it was rushed, but we didn't feel that pressure when we were beating it out.

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/david_simon

Good interview. There's also an interview with Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar) on the same site.

The only thing that felt rushed to me was Kima's confession and McNulty and Freamon's acceptance of it... Even if they had come to feel they were wrong, I still think there would be a little more discomfort with it. But that's a very minor quibble.

Ginofan
03-12-2008, 03:41 PM

The only thing I would change is when McNulty stops the car and gets out to look at the city at the end, they should have used the same music they used in the montage at the end of season one.

Deadwood was killed because the same team came up with John from Cincinnati and HBO liked that POS better.
HBO gave the producers the option on how many hours they wanted, and the producers said they'd take 10. Then they realized they needed more and asked for another half hour.

Ginofan
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM

McNulty and Bunk's season 1 investigation in that house. The fuck fuck fuck one was awesome. I'd list the 1A and 1B.

TheTruth
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
those last 2 posts should have been me.

monosylab1k
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know what the fuck happened to fucking Deadwood, but I think those cocksucker shit fucks made a big goddamn mistake when they decided to shitcan that great fucking show.

Spurminator
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
What should I watch next?

Deadwood
Six Feet Under
Battlestar Galactica
or
Jericho?

ShoogarBear
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
McNulty and Bunk's season 1 investigation in that house. Oh, man, you are a Wire God. That one was terrific, I forgot about that.

I really need to go back and rewatch them all from S01E01.

Evan
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Deadwood
Six Feet Under
Battlestar Galactica
or
Jericho?

IMO...

Six Feet Under
Battle Star
Deadwood

No opinion on Jericho

monosylab1k
03-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Deadwood
Six Feet Under
Battlestar Galactica
or
Jericho?
Six Feet Under is great. But the gaydar goes off the charts with that show. Not that theres anything wrong with it, but if the gay sex/makeout scenes make you a tad uncomfortable, be prepared for uncomfortableness with just about every episode.

TheTruth
03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
If you guys want to get into a show, I'd recommend renting Rescue Me. Very entertaining show.

I'd also recommend Deadwood. Season 1 of that show was off the charts good. Season's 2 and 3 aren't quite up to that level.

TheTruth
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh, man, you are a Wire God. That one was terrific, I forgot about that.

I really need to go back and rewatch them all from S01E01.
Yeah, that scene is probably what turned me from a fan to a believer that it was the best show on tv. Brilliant stuff. CSI can blow me.

Mark in Austin
03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Actually, according to David Simon...

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/david_simon

Good interview. There's also an interview with Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar) on the same site.

The only thing that felt rushed to me was Kima's confession and McNulty and Freamon's acceptance of it... Even if they had come to feel they were wrong, I still think there would be a little more discomfort with it. But that's a very minor quibble.

Perhaps some of the fine details were wrong in the reports I read, but what happened is fairly similar... HBO wanted to keep it as short as possible, pushing for 8 originally. (plus killing the planned mini-series on the election earlier) Simon is being diplomatic about it, because he has Generation Kill, plus a New Orleans musician show he wants to sell HBO on, so he's not burning any bridges.

I call bullshit on 10 1/2 episodes being exactly what was needed; and that going over that would have been filler. There isn't a single moment in five seasons of that show that felt like filler, and I have no doubt that anything else written would have further enriched the show and the audience.

ShoogarBear
03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
There you go again, giving a fuck when it isn't your turn to give a fuck.

Spurminator
03-15-2008, 01:24 AM
If any of you haven't seen The Corner, I recommend it. Lots of the same actors from The Wire... Great opportunity to see Lester as an addict.

Spurminator
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00123BY6S/ref=pe_606_9776580_pe_ar_t1

atxrocker
07-27-2008, 02:16 PM
just got done rewatching season one again and i'll be goddamned if this isn't the best television show ever.

Findog
07-27-2008, 02:46 PM
just got done rewatching season one again and i'll be goddamned if this isn't the best television show ever.

Season One takes a while to get into and really become emotionally involved. I remember hearing all the hype and raving about the Wire. Took me about 5 or 6 episodes before I was sold. I'd rank the seasons this way:

1. Season Three
2. Season One
3. Season Four
4. Season Five
5. Season Two

atxrocker
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Season One takes a while to get into and really become emotionally involved. I remember hearing all the hype and raving about the Wire. Took me about 5 or 6 episodes before I was sold. I'd rank the seasons this way:

1. Season Three
2. Season One
3. Season Four
4. Season Five
5. Season Two

nice rankings. i'd probably have season 4 as my number one, so it would look like this

1. S4 (this season was simply some of the best shit i've ever seen in my life)
2. S1
3. S3
4. S5
5. S2

Findog
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Funny how everybody agrees that Season Two was the worst, and yet, it's better than 90% of the shit that's on tv.

atxrocker
07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
this series delivered. not one season failed.

Findog
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
this series delivered. not one season failed.

Yeah, for all of the dogging on Season Two, it's still gold.

Funny how we can be Wire buddies and talk so much smack in the basketball forums. :tu

leemajors
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
i am waiting for netflix to deliver the second disk of season 2 tomorrow. great series!

ShoogarBear
07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh, and Fuck the Emmys. Fuck them forever. Not that I really watched them before, but I guarantee I will never watch that suck-ass worthless award show ever again.

brettn
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Great show. My season rankings:

S4
S3
S5
S1
S2

Best characters are Omar, Stringer and Marlo. And McNulty of course. Any time any of those guys are on screen, they completely own it. The confrontations all these chracters have with one another is memorable to say the least. Great, great show.

TheTruth
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
FUCK THE EMMYS!!!!

Season 2 is so freaking underrated. But it's still the weakest of all the seasons. Crazy how good this show was.

Who are your top 5 characters in order?

1. Omar (of fucking course)
2. Bubbles (great story arch)
3. Marlo (Bad mother fucker)
4. Mcnulty (fucked a chick on his car and showed the cops his badge to stay out of trouble - classic)
5. Bunk (i was gentle, i knew it was your first time)

brettn
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
FUCK THE EMMYS!!!!

Season 2 is so freaking underrated. But it's still the weakest of all the seasons. Crazy how good this show was.

4. Mcnulty (fucked a chick on his car and showed the cops his badge to stay out of trouble - classic)

I have the same top 5, except I'd replace Bubbles with Stringer probably. Michael, is #6. I thought his story was brilliantly written and acted.

ShoogarBear
07-27-2008, 10:48 PM
1. Stringer Bell: Holy crap was this guy smooth. In the end just wasn't hard enough.
2. Lester Freamon: I'd watch a police series just based on Freamon sweating out the mopes.
3. Prez: started out an asshat, end the end became maybe the most likeable guy of all.
4. Bunk: guaranteed at least one classic line per show
5. tie: Omar Little, Snoop: speak for themselves

Honorable mention: Jimmy McNulty, Kema Griggs, Cedric Daniels, Rawls, Proposition Joe, Carcetti, and sheeeeeeeeeeyit Clay Davis.

DynastyBuilder
07-27-2008, 10:52 PM
1. Bunk
2. Omar
3. Clay
4. Marlo
5. Prop Joe

ShoogarBear
07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Damn, I forgot about Namon, Cutty, and Bunny Colvin. Throw them in there, too.

And Frank Sobotka.

DynastyBuilder
07-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Man...

Wee-bey and Valchek have to be somewhere on the list too...

TheTruth
07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Too many to list. Weebay is a good one. I can't believe I didn't mention Daniels. I wonder what he did in Eastern.

leemajors
09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Finished this show about two weeks ago, loved it. But god damn if the cover of Down in a Hole in season 5 wasn't just awful - Tori Amos covering Smells Like Teen Spirit awful. I had to fast forward through it. One of my favorite parts was Rawls hanging out in the gay bar in one episode, and there was no other mention or hint of it anywhere else in the show.

Creepn
09-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I just happened to be flip flopping one day and I first came across the Wire when I saw Snoop buying that nail gun from the hardware store. Snoop talking in her ebonics and this white guy was like "W..T....F?". I was immediatly hooked right there.

What was your most remember scene that got you hooked?

TheTruth
09-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I just happened to be flip flopping one day and I first came across the Wire when I saw Snoop buying that nail gun from the hardware store. Snoop talking in her ebonics and this white guy was like "W..T....F?". I was immediatly hooked right there.

The FUCK ME scene in season 1. Bunk and Mcnulty solving that murder was what got me hooked.

That and the King stay the king scene. Great scene.

TheTruth
09-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Finished this show about two weeks ago, loved it. But god damn if the cover of Down in a Hole in season 5 wasn't just awful - Tori Amos covering Smells Like Teen Spirit awful. I had to fast forward through it. One of my favorite parts was Rawls hanging out in the gay bar in one episode, and there was no other mention or hint of it anywhere else in the show.

Yeah, it was a throw away scene, but it answered so many questions about Rawls. Everything he did after that was tempered in my mind by that scene.

balli
09-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I haven't weighed in on this thread because there is too much to be said and I don't want to go down that road. Two thoughts though-

1. Season 2 is vastly, vastly under-rated. I thought season 4 was the "best" but season 2 was absolutely fantastic both in it's ideological conception and in it's subsequent execution.

2. These 3 David Simon videos, from a speech at Loyola, should be required viewing for viewers of The Wire. (or Americans in general, especially in light of what happened with the bailouts this week)

LJNkL12QD68
JhPZYjRgqTI
8z42m_J8t18

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't read this thread because I don't want spoilers, but I'm about to start on Season 4 sometime today. Just thought to post it... I'm assuming it's as good as I've heard (one of the better seasons).

balli
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I haven't read this thread, but I'm about to start on Season 4 sometime today. Just thought to post it.

Enjoy it. IMO, Season 4 is the single best season of any show, in the history of television.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Enjoy it. IMO, Season 4 is the single best season of any show, in the history of television.

Cool. I'm heading to Half-Price Books for a quick look, then coming back to start watching.

DynastyBuilder
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
should be required viewing for viewers of The Wire.

Meh, pass. Simon should just keep making TV series and pass on lecturing people on politics and social issues.

balli
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Meh, pass. Simon should just keep making TV series and pass on lecturing people on politics and social issues.

What do you think The Wire was if not a lecture on social issues?

DynastyBuilder
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
What do you think The Wire was if not a lecture on social issues?

I think it was a television series I enjoyed.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Three episodes into S5... this newsroom is money so far.

ShoogarBear
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, you're going to LUUUUUUUUVE season 5, JB.

CuckingFunt
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I just finished the second episode of season two and am working through this thing at an agonizingly slow pace. Bad idea to start watching right before finals. If I had the time, I'd lock myself in the apartment with enough food to last a while and watch the whole damn series in one shot.

The FUCK ME scene in season 1. Bunk and Mcnulty solving that murder was what got me hooked.

Saw the quality in the show before that scene, but I think that's the one that really hooked me, too. I laughed my ass off.

ATRAIN
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I jumped right in with season 3 (only watched that season) but I want to go back and watch the other 4 expecially now that I wont have any tv to watch the next month. Its been a while though should I rewatch season 3?

Mark in Austin
12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I just finished the second episode of season two ...

I think season two is the most underrated of the five; to me it had a slightly slower pace, which I think that part of Baltimore's story needed. Seasons 3-5 in contrast really are a blur to me. I don't think I drew a breath during season four episodes...

Spurminator
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Season 2 is fantastic upon second viewing. It wasn't my favorite the first time through.

ATrain, you should definitely watch season 3 again after you've seen 1 and 2. All of the seasons are worth watching a second time.

ATRAIN
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Season 2 is fantastic upon second viewing. It wasn't my favorite the first time through.

ATrain, you should definitely watch season 3 again after you've seen 1 and 2. All of the seasons are worth watching a second time.

OK will do I can go on season watching binges so ill try to hit season 1, 2 and 3 before the new year. SHIT i might be able to squeeze in season 4.

Mark in Austin
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
great compilation of the 100 greatest lines from the show:

-Sgj78QG9Bg

eyeh8u
11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
anyone notice stringer looks like horace grant

CuckingFunt
11-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Son of a bitch. That made me want to watch the whole damn thing over again, and I so don't have the time.

Spurminator
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Great compilation but not enough Sabotka or Valchek.

balli
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
"Fuck it then. For another Pit sammich and some tater salad, I'll go a few more."

0qBPK4wpZpw

:lmao Wee-Bey's so damn good in that scene. "Druid hill. Behind the reptile house. You get back in them weeds you might could find whats laft of him."

Mark in Austin
11-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Son of a bitch. That made me want to watch the whole damn thing over again, and I so don't have the time.

Tell me about it. Hell, I watched the clip twice and realized I was suddenly five minutes late for an appointment. It took serious self control to not pop in season 3 tonight and hit play.

TheTruth
11-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Ah boy. The BEST show of all time. Gonna have to watch a few episodes later today.

leemajors
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm on Season 4 for my second time through right now.

Mark in Austin
11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Great compilation but not enough Sabotka or Valchek.

...and not even a single quote from the skinny smartass runt on the docks - Ziggy? He had to have been good for a couple.

My favorites are the multiple McNulty "What did I do?" quotes.

atxrocker
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Fuck. And just like that, I remember how much I want to watch this shit again. Some of the best television ever.

EmptyMan
11-18-2009, 06:07 PM
RIP The Wire.

iggypop123
11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
would have been really interesting to see if they could have made season 6 focusing on the growing latino popultion, oh well its over RIP

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-18-2009, 11:27 PM

-Sgj78QG9Bg

That was so great. I have something to do on my holidays off.

Spurminator
11-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I thought my third time through would sustain me for a while. But I'm getting the itch again...

atxrocker
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/carls064/freealonzo/ix600wire.gif

balli
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Think how bad it must suck to be one of the poor saps who's never watched The Wire?

Actually ignorance is bliss, but I do feel bad for the cucks who don't know what they're missing.

TheTruth
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Speaking of The Wire

I have all 5 seasons in very good condition for sale.

$100 bucks for the complete set.

Also have The Band of Brothers Special Edition Tin Set for $30.

PM if interested.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Rhianna's new squeeze is the kid who played Michael Lee? :tu

bostonguy
11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Think how bad it must suck to be one of the poor saps who's never watched The Wire?

Actually ignorance is bliss, but I do feel bad for the cucks who don't know what they're missing.

How slow paced is the Wire? Like I said, I watched it on and off the first season but I was young back then and didn't pay too much attention to the storylines as well as I could have.If it drags and is super slow paced, I am already turned off. I just don't have the patience for super slow paced shows.

EmptyMan
11-23-2009, 09:46 PM
It started to suck towards the end.

Damn they should have never ______________ Stringer.

leemajors
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
My only complaint about the show is how bad the theme for season 5 is. I don't care for the Neville cover either, but the season 5 one is god awful - I have to skip it.

Mark in Austin
12-29-2009, 02:04 PM
would have been really interesting to see if they could have made season 6 focusing on the growing latino popultion, oh well its over RIP

Funny you should bring that up. Here's a really terrific recent interview with David Simon that talks about myriad aspects of The Wire, including the possibility of addressing immigration one season:

Click for David Simon interview at Vice Magazine (http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n12/htdocs/david-simon-280.php?page=1)

The interviewer calls his shot in the intro - here it is. The whole interview is great though.

"David Simon is responsible for one of the greatest feats of storytelling of the past century, and that’s the entire five-season run of the television series The Wire. If that sounds like hyperbole to you, then you haven’t watched the show yet. It is the most intricate web of character, motivation, insight, action, repercussion, and emotion that’s ever been on TV, and it rivals the grand novels of the late 19th century, when novels actually, regularly, had scope. More hyperbole, but there you go. I and most of its fans are to The Wire as a Christian is to Christ or a junkie is to dope. It’s basically A FUCKING GOD. Too much hyperbole there, maybe. But you’re getting the point, right?

Before The Wire, David Simon was a reporter at the Baltimore Sun. During his time there, he wrote two meticulously researched and richly human books about his city. Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets (1991) was the result of a year spent with the murder police of a town where murder seems to be a major mode of employment. The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood (1997, with writing partner Ed Burns) was the result of a year spent among the families, addicts, and dealers of one of Baltimore’s more infamous drug corners. Homicide resulted in the long-running cop show Homicide: Life on the Street, which was cool and everything, better than most cop shows, but also kind of just a cop show. The Corner resulted in an HBO miniseries that was pretty much a direct antecedent to what The Wire would end up tackling.

After The Wire, Simon and Ed Burns, who is a former Baltimore cop and schoolteacher, adapted Evan Wright’s book Generation Kill into an HBO miniseries. It stands as the most effective document yet produced on the daily reality of the life of marines in the current Iraq war.

And now, today, as I type this, Simon is filming his new HBO series down in New Orleans. It’s called Tremé, and it is said to take as its center the lives of local musicians. But I have a feeling that would be like saying that The Wire took as its center the Baltimore drug trade. Sure, it started there. But given Simon’s obsessions with the American city and the decreasing institutional value of life in this great country of ours, we’re pretty much guaranteed that Tremé will have the same reach and impact as The Wire. In other words, I wish I could be cryogenically frozen until the day this show debuts, because I can’t fucking wait.

Simon recently spoke with Vice from the Tremé production offices in New Orleans. This is the longest interview we’ve ever run by a long shot, but come on. It’s the guy who made The Wire. You’re lucky the entire issue isn’t about him."

TheTruth
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
It started to suck towards the end.

Damn they should have never ______________ Stringer.

Final season was definitely it's weakest, but it's weakest season was still better than 95% of anything else out there.

mFFL03
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
bump for Bubbles and Snoop.

Stringer_Bell
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Generation Kill is also really good, I'm convinced anything related to Simon or Burns has the potential for greatness.

B&B Enterprises for life!

Spurminator
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Check out Friday Night Lights season 4 for the resurrection of two beloved Wire dudes.

Spurminator
06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Complete series on DVD: $89.99

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-Dominic-West/dp/B001FA1P1W/ref=xs_gb_rss_194656/?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ccmID=380205&tag=rssfeeds-20

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Wow, bought.

Also, the complete series of Homicide is $64.

Mark in Austin
07-01-2010, 01:02 AM
A new twist on The Wire:

D0RNhQaxUyw

Kamala
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I didn't start watching The Wire till season 4. Loved it so much I went back and saw all the episodes and then season 5 as it came out. Season 4 about the kids pulled on my heart like no show or movie ever has. This show should be required viewing for teachers, police, or folks in any form of politics.

Mark in Austin
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
A sequal - 100 more quotes:

TFh2f7rNAEI

Spurminator
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Wow, bought.

Also, the complete series of Homicide is $64.

Thinking about checking that out. I worry that it might be a little dated... Does it hold up after you've seen The Wire?

Decent looking new cop show coming out this fall: Blue Bloods. Caught the pilot the other day. Tom Selleck, Bridgette Moynahan, Donnie Wahlberg. Looks like it has some potential.

leemajors
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Michael Kenneth Williams, the actor behind Omar, will be lending his talents to Boardwalk Empire , the upcoming series from HBO . He plays Chalky White, the de facto mayor of Chickenbone Beach, Atlantic City's black section.

bostonguy
07-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Man I want to rewatch the first season cuz I don't remember anything about it. Thing is I heard this show doesn't have continuous storylines. That each episode has it's own storyline like Law and Order or CSI. If so, I am already losing interest. Great shows have continuous storylines.I hate shows that are like that. IMO it's just a waste of time keeping up with the whole season.

leemajors
07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Man I want to rewatch the first season cuz I don't remember anything about it. Thing is I heard this show doesn't have continuous storylines. That each episode has it's own storyline like Law and Order or CSI. If so, I am already losing interest. Great shows have continuous storylines.I hate shows that are like that. IMO it's just a waste of time keeping up with the whole season.

umm the entire show is one continuous storyline, wtf.

CuckingFunt
07-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Michael Kenneth Williams, the actor behind Omar, will be lending his talents to Boardwalk Empire , the upcoming series from HBO . He plays Chalky White, the de facto mayor of Chickenbone Beach, Atlantic City's black section.

First episode is directed by Martin Scorsese. Very much looking forward to this one.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Thinking about checking that out. I worry that it might be a little dated... Does it hold up after you've seen The Wire?Sure, it's a little dated but the first three seasons are really fantastic. Cliche gimmicks for ratings start creeping in and getting worse thereafter and it becomes a merely good show, though it still has it's moments of greatness.

It's more episodic than The Wire, though there are plenty of story arcs sprinkled about, some lasting multiple seasons.

If you have the Centric channel (U-verse has it) you can catch reruns of the show. I think they are in season three right now.

fevertrees
07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
best of series of HBO which says alot considering how good the Sopranos and Six Feet Under were...

Mark in Austin
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Simon defends The Wire (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2011/01/simon_responds_to_bealefelds_c.html)

Apparently the Police Commissioner in Baltimore didn't like somebody holding a mirror to his department...

Dr. Gonzo
01-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I really hate the intro to this show but halfway through the 4th season I find it to be great. Nowhere near The Sopranos but it is better than most series I've watched.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm 3 episodes into season 4 myself. Can't really read this thread cuz I don't wanna be spoiled. I think its pure greatness. Never seen a show done this well on this level before.

Also this was prob already mentioned, but if you get the DVD's, you HAVE to listen to the commentary when you're done with that season. David Simon is smart as a mofo.

Dr. Gonzo
01-21-2011, 11:09 PM
The second season was great. I really liked the way they played the dock workers angle.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
This black dude I work with told me I could basically skip season 2 and not miss anything

But I didn't
And I was like WTF dude season 2 ruled and he was like yeah yeah, I just didn't like them focusing on them white people and not focusing on tha streets

But I liked season 3 too don't get me wrong

CuckingFunt
01-22-2011, 12:05 AM
I met David Simon a couple months ago. He's really smart and amazingly well spoken.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
I met David Simon a couple months ago. He's really smart and amazingly well spoken.

on the dvd extras here and there (well I konw for a fact the season 3 last disc extras) there is a Q and A with David Simon and some hoity toity liberal arts college in New York...

I can't put it any better than what you put it. He's fuckin smart as shit and he speaks about his subjects amazingly well

He even got pissed off in the interview saying how New Yorkers think they know about crime and "you guys don't know shit" then apologized for getting so worked up....it was awesome

Call me a homer but I'm going to buy and read that Homicide: Life on the Killing Streetsbook asap

He was asked why he made The Wire and his response was essentially that Americans don't read and The Powers That Be were ready to make it a TV show so he was like Why Not?

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Can't believe I didn't start watching this show until the last month or so (on season 2 right now). I don't know which is the funniest part of the show so far: Omar in court saying he and the Barksdale lawyer are the same person, or Ziggy and his iced-out duck doing shots at the bar. :rollin

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Gotta also say String is one of the greatest characters I have ever seen on TV.

leemajors
03-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Gotta also say String is one of the greatest characters I have ever seen on TV.

I liked Omar and Bunk a little better, but Elba is really good. Check out Luther if you haven't, he is pretty good in it too.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Bodie is God

resistanze
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I liked Omar and Bunk a little better, but Elba is really good. Check out Luther if you haven't, he is pretty good in it too.

Currently halfway through season 2 of Luther. I caught season 1 last year (wasn't it supposed to be a one-off miniseries?) and loved it.

Cane
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm trying to be a fan of this show. Watched about six episodes of the first season but it doesn't have me on the edge of my seat like the earlier Breaking Bad episodes.

I love HBO shows and heard the first season is kinda slow anyway...need to get back into it

greyforest
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
This show should be required viewing for teachers, police, or folks in any form of politics.

FWIW Obama said it's his favorite show, so that's pretty disappointing.

Reck
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
I dont get the hype behind this show.

Saw all seasons and thought the show was ok.

I think since this was an HBO original series, people automatically are hardwired to like it.

baseline bum
03-04-2012, 02:44 AM

Shit man, Stringer Bell was the boss on The Office. Damn, I completely forgot about that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Charles_Miner_the_office.jpg

Fpoonsie
03-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Good show, but still can't hold The Sopranos' Fila-brand jock.

baseline bum
03-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Good show, but still can't hold The Sopranos' Fila-brand jock.

I agree. I really like the show and I think The Wire's characters are a hell of a lot deeper, but the basis of The Soparanos (gangster who always wants to impress his hot shrink) is so funny you can overlook the completely 1-dimensional cast. Plus Sopranos has a few really creative episodes (e.g., the one where he kills Pussy or the Kevin Finnerty episode) that just blow anything away that can be done on a show like The Wire that seems grounded in reality.

Mark in Austin
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree. I really like the show and I think The Wire's characters are a hell of a lot deeper, but the basis of The Soparanos (gangster who always wants to impress his hot shrink) is so funny you can overlook the completely 1-dimensional cast. Plus Sopranos has a few really creative episodes (e.g., the one where he kills Pussy or the Kevin Finnerty episode) that just blow anything away that can be done on a show like The Wire that seems grounded in reality.

You make some good points but just wait till you get through seasons 3 & 4. They really take the show to an entirely different level. The end of 3 makes you think they'll never be able to top it. Then 4 comes through and is just devastating television start to finish.

Spurminator
03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
You make some good points but just wait till you get through seasons 3 & 4. They really take the show to an entirely different level. The end of 3 makes you think they'll never be able to top it. Then 4 comes through and is just devastating television start to finish.

:tu

Season 2 almost lost me my first time through it... But by the time I got through S3 and S4 I was ready to start the whole thing over again.

Which I did, twice... Incidentally, Season 2 is awesome on repeat viewings. Frank Sabotka is one of my favorite characters on the show.

baseline bum
03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
:tu

Season 2 almost lost me my first time through it... But by the time I got through S3 and S4 I was ready to start the whole thing over again.

Which I did, twice... Incidentally, Season 2 is awesome on repeat viewings. Frank Sabotka is one of my favorite characters on the show.

Wow, I just finished Season 2 and thought it was way better than the first. Seeing how Ziggy went out was hard to watch though; you knew he was done for once he killed his duck.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I love the Sopranos too, baseline, but I actually think The Wire is better. I didn't think so until seasons 3/4 though. We just finished watching the series about a month and a half ago.

IronMexican
03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
uhlW6SRu5rA

Realest scene eva.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I was never crazy about Season 4 like everyone else (even though they're all great).

imo

baseline bum
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I love the Sopranos too, baseline, but I actually think The Wire is better. I didn't think so until seasons 3/4 though. We just finished watching the series about a month and a half ago.

That's a lot to live up to. I just started season 3 and it's kind of boring so far, but then again the first 2 episodes of season 2 sucked too before the brilliant final 10. Should be cool seeing them focus on Prop Joe in season 3.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Virtually everybody that I've talked to disliked season 2 at first, but loved it on the repeat viewing..it seemingly grows on most people..

I've watched the series 3 times..I'd rank them:

Cane
03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
God dammit so it'll be until season 3/4 before I start loving the show? god dammit

Would I ruin it if I just started in season 3? having a hard time getting past the first season :depressed

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 02:19 AM
God dammit so it'll be until season 3/4 before I start loving the show? god dammit

Would I ruin it if I just started in season 3? having a hard time getting past the first season :depressed

Season 2 is amazing starting in the 3rd episode or so. Season 1 is worth watching just for the Omar scenes.

Fpoonsie
03-05-2012, 02:40 AM
CyqYHT6nRaA

Realest scene eva.

TheTruth
03-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Sheeeeyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt!

TheTruth
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
That's a lot to live up to. I just started season 3 and it's kind of boring so far, but then again the first 2 episodes of season 2 sucked too before the brilliant final 10. Should be cool seeing them focus on Prop Joe in season 3.

It was a pretty set formula for every season. A couple of build the story episodes, and then it was off to the races for the next 8 to 10. I can't overstate how good this show was. Best show ever.

TheTruth
03-05-2012, 07:31 AM
FUCK THE EMMYS!!!!

After rewatching, and developing a lot of love for Idris Elba over the years, I'd move Stringer Bell into my top 5. Sorry Bunk.

Spurminator
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Relevant:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7646862/smacketology-#8212-tournament-determine-wire-greatest-character

Frank Sabotka is getting the shaft.

TheTruth
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Relevant:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7646862/smacketology-#8212-tournament-determine-wire-greatest-character

Frank Sabotka is getting the shaft.

Any bracket that has Bubbles as a 7 seed is irrelevant.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Ziggy getting an 8-seed is as bad as Frank at #7 tbh. When I saw Ziggy the first time, I figured he'd be the one to get his throat slit and his dad would be the one in prison for life though.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Watch it from the beginning. I loved it from season 1 onward. I just didn't think it was the best show of all time until season 4.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Can't believe you had Season 2 as the weakest, Truth. Season 3-4-5 better be pretty damn amazing in that case.

vander
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
oh yeah, this revived thread reminds me that I was going through the Wire for a second time, time to resume, then maybe the sopranos again.

it's astounding how awful just about all other television is when compared to the Wire and Sopranos

baseline bum
03-06-2012, 02:17 AM
CyqYHT6nRaA

Realest scene eva.

Awesome scene, but it's kind of funny seeing Vito as a civilian.

Fpoonsie
03-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Awesome scene, but it's kind of funny seeing Vito as a civilian.

Lulz. I know. It was so bizarre that they brought him back...even moreso the side story they decided to feature him in. Only time in the show I didn't like nor could I figure out what the writers were thinking...

baseline bum
03-06-2012, 03:18 AM
The Vito character was based on some real shit that happened in the DeCavalcante family that the Sopranos is based on.

TheTruth
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't believe you had Season 2 as the weakest, Truth. Season 3-4-5 better be pretty damn amazing in that case.

Amazing, Amazing, and pretty damn good.

baseline bum
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Season 3 is pretty amazing, but I'll still take Season 2 over it in a second. CROFL Avon & Stringer.

leemajors
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Cutty (Chad Coleman) was on the Champs Podcast this last week:

http://thechamps.libsyn.com/webpage/-cutty-from-the-w-ire-chad-coleman

Cant_Be_Faded
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Cutty was funny in Always Sunny

baseline bum
03-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Damn, the show ended on such a bitter note. From the first episode you knew Daniels would become commissioner and then get immediately dicked out of it, and you knew Clay would be untouchable. I'm absolutely shocked McNulty survived the series.

baseline bum
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM

#1 scene for me was seeing McNulty ask for scrapple from the big-tittied waitress after crashing his car twice.

baseline bum
03-13-2012, 03:10 AM

I gotta agree now, but it wasn't until a few episodes into Season 4 that I changed my mind. It's nice that with all the horrible outcomes you saw in the show to at least see Colvin make a difference in the life of WeeBey's son.

leemajors
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I gotta agree now, but it wasn't until a few episodes into Season 4 that I changed my mind. It's nice that with all the horrible outcomes you saw in the show to at least see Colvin make a difference in the life of WeeBey's son.

I was always kinda disappointed Weebay got locked up so early, he was a great character.

In other news, Omar will be playing OBD - fucking perfect!!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2012/03/michael-k-williams-playing-ol-dirty-bast.php

leemajors
03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
#1 scene for me was seeing McNulty ask for scrapple from the big-tittied waitress after crashing his car twice.

The Bunk/McNulty "Fuck" crime scene did it for me early.

Mark in Austin
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
The Bunk/McNulty "Fuck" crime scene did it for me early.

6sNZ7ulO1RQ

ShoogarBear
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
The Wire: The Musical! (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/414fa4b226/the-wire-the-musical-with-michael-kenneth-williams?playlist=featured_videos)

baseline bum
06-06-2012, 02:44 AM
The other day I had a dream I was watching Cheers and all of a sudden here's Ted Danson and Cliff Claven yelling "Omar's coming!" I was like what the fuck, I don't remember the episode Omar came and robbed the place. Then the laugh track went off when he came in with his shotgun and yelled "HEY-YO". :lol

oh crap
06-06-2012, 03:12 AM
:lmao

awesome dream. had a shitty night but that post gave me a hearty chuckle.

TE
07-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Done with 1st season.

Great show thus far. Gonna start the second season later today if my initial plans don't pan out.

AussieFanKurt
07-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Done with 1st season.

Great show thus far. Gonna start the second season later today if my initial plans don't pan out.

You may have trouble with Second season, it is probably the poorest one. I found it a bit more and not as stimulating as first

TE
07-02-2012, 02:45 AM
You may have trouble with Second season, it is probably the poorest one. I found it a bit more and not as stimulating as first

How so? Don't mind if you respond with a take that's borderline spoilish...

Is the plot too delayed? Does the plot center around an area/group that's at a standstill?

Should I skip to season three?

AussieFanKurt
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
How so? Don't mind if you respond with a take that's borderline spoilish...

Is the plot too delayed? Does the plot center around an area/group that's at a standstill?

Should I skip to season three?

I stopped watching halfway through it. My mate who watched it says it is unforunately necessary to watch as new characters enter etc. But overall not a lot happens. I'm considering reading a full outline of the season online so I can just skip to 3, 4 and 5 which apparently are amazing.

The plot is quite slow and just didn't interest me, set at the ports. It could have been good but dragged on a bit.

TE
07-02-2012, 03:02 AM
I think I'll give it a chance...

A lot say season 2 is actually pretty damn good.