PDA

View Full Version : Davis Cup

smeagol
12-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Argentina is putting up a fight. After losing the doubles they are tied 2-2 with Safin and Acasuso playing the final match.

kingsfan
12-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I wish they were showing it here. Davis Cup usually brings the best out of the players. I love watching it, great matches. Argentina has become a tennis powerhouse lately.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I wish they were showing it here. Davis Cup usually brings the best out of the players. I love watching it, great matches. Argentina has become a tennis powerhouse lately.We've been preety good at tennis for quite a while now. We've consistenly had at least one player in the top 10 for about 6 or 7 years. We also had Vilas.

Still, I've got to say, I don't see any hope of Acasuso beating Safin in the final match. Granted Acasuso has won 2 of their 3 matches played, but still none of them in matches this important and none of them in Safin's homeland, where he's only lost twice while playing Davis cup matches. The second one was against Nalbandian 2 days ago. Acasuso is no Nalbandian

EDIT: I just saw that the game was already on and over before I made this post. I'm on finals this week so I haven't been able watch manu games. Still, just as I thought

kingsfan
12-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree, Argentinians have been good for a while but until recently all they really had was Nalbandian, and compared to Spain and the US, I wouldn't call them a powerhouse, however that is changing. I always liked Vilas, I had the pleasure of seeing him play in person and his power (for that time) was impressive.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I agree, Argentinians have been good for a while but until recently all they really had was Nalbandian, and compared to Spain and the US, I wouldn't call them a powerhouse, however that is changing. I always liked Vilas, I had the pleasure of seeing him play in person and his power (for that time) was impressive.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif how about Coria? he got to be #2 ATP

and Spain? powerhouse? Spain has Nadal NOW, before they had what? Ferrer, Moya, good players, nothing special. Then you have Lopez and Robredo who are just alright.

Now, I'm not saying Argentina is a powerhouse, we're just good, and so is Spain... as in good but DEFINATELY NOT a powerhouse. Still, on that note, the US is not doing so good either with only Roddick to represent them.

Let's face it when all is said and done, there isn't a player in either Argentina, Spain, USA or England that can match Federer. Nadal is the only one that comes close, and only on clay courts.

kingsfan
12-03-2006, 03:16 PM
I try to forget about Coria http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif US has Blake also and until recently Agassi. There was Fish and Ginepri but they just disappeared. Spain also had Corretja, Costa and Bruguera
You're right about Rog. unfortunately and the game is less exciting because of it. I wish Safin luck though, I always liked him also but inconsistency was his problem until injury took over.

smeagol
12-03-2006, 04:02 PM
I think Argentina and Spain have been "powerhouses" if that term can be applied to tennis. Not so long ago, Argentina had three players in the top ten (Coria, Nalbandiana and Gaudio). Not many countries have had three guys in the top 10 in the history of the rankings.

Spain is definetly a powerhouse. Moya and Ferrero were number one in the world for a brief period at the beginning of this decade and they are the country with most top 100 players (or at least were).

The US is always up there, although no that Agassi is gone, it's just A-Rod, Blake (as of this year) and a bunch of so-so players such as Fish and Ginepri.

But everything other players do is overshadowed by Federer who is the most dominant player ever (more than Sampras and Borg ever were) and, to a lesser extent Nadal, who is almost unbeatable on clay.