PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Williams makes presence felt off bench

TMTTRIO
12-03-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120306.08C.BKNspurs.williams.366bccd.html
Spurs notebook: Williams makes presence felt off bench

Web Posted: 12/03/2006 12:32 AM CST

Mike Monroe and Johnny Ludden
Express-News

It was one of those nights when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had to probe for a lineup that could get something — anything — done against the Sacramento Kings.
It was fitting, then, that Eric Williams made the biggest contribution off the bench in the Spurs' 100-98 victory at AT&T Center.

Williams, the veteran power forward who came to the Spurs from Toronto in the trade that sent Rasho Nesterovic to the Raptors, had played only eight minutes in the Spurs' first 16 games.

When he entered Saturday's game with 5:03 left in the first quarter, he had not attempted a single shot with the Spurs.

But by halftime Saturday, Williams had exceeded his previous playing time for the entire season and knocked down two 3-point shots and a bank shot in the post.

More importantly, said Williams, he finally felt like a real member of his new team.

"It felt good to be out there with Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker) and the starting unit and know I can fit in with a team like this," said Williams, 34, in his 12th NBA season. "It felt real good."

Williams' teammates appreciated his contribution on a night when nearly everything else went awry.

"Eric played great tonight," Duncan said. "He came in and was ready to go. He hit those two corner threes and defensively he was solid. He was sliding his feet and gave us a big boost."

Injured Ginobili 'getting closer:' The Spurs received some good news Saturday about Manu Ginobili. Delivered by Ginobili himself.

"He says he's getting closer," Popovich said. "He says he thinks this might be the last game he misses."

Ginobili hasn't played since bruising his lower back late in the third quarter of a Nov. 24 loss to Dallas. Though the soreness gradually lessened, Ginobili still had trouble running and jumping last week.

Popovich remains skeptical Ginobili will be ready to play Monday against Golden State.

"When somebody hurts their back or rear end — or whatever he hurt," Popovich said, "it's all guesswork how long it's going to take."

Horry weighs in: The Players Association filed an unfair labor practice charge against the NBA on Friday, alleging the league didn't allow the players enough input before introducing the new microfiber basketball.

Robert Horry has been one of the new ball's many critics, but he doesn't foresee the league going back to the leather model — no matter how much complaining the players do.

"No, a flat-out no," Horry said. "I don't think they could do anything about it. That would be like (the league) admitting they made a mistake."

Finley missing touch: Michael Finley missed five of his six shots in the first half Saturday night against Sacramento, making him 3 for 20 in the previous eight quarters.

"I just think he's a guy who is so conscientious, he presses and probably exacerbates the situation rather than just letting it flow," Popovich said. "(Shooting coach) Chip Engelland has worked with him a little bit to get him back to the basic motion and see if there's any flaws in there. I feel very confident he'll get back on track."

SenorSpur
12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Williams surprise contribution means that Pop will forget about him for the next 5-7 games - much like he's done with Elson and Bonner.

The Truth #6
12-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Not to mention White. I know he's new but with Manu out I'd think White, a guard, would be the one to get a few stray minutes, even if in a blowout.

But, Williams did well so I'm happy with that.

T Park
12-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Williams surprise contribution means that Pop will forget about him for the next 5-7 games - much like he's done with Elson and Bonner

Too bad Bonner hasn't done anything worthy of playing ahead of Elson, Horry, or Oberto.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2006, 12:16 AM
we had a 17pt lead damnit, dunno why we let the other team back into the game, but this gettin to the point where we can just flopped on out our confidence :(

T Park
12-04-2006, 12:31 AM
dunno why we let the other team back into the game

sacramento improved their D, and the Spur's got worse.

wildbill2u
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I cana't see the games. Williams stats looked great for the time played, but I'd like to hear some commentary about his play from those who eyeballed it.