PDA

View Full Version : Can/Will we beat the Mavs or Suns without homecourt?

The_Game
12-03-2006, 03:58 PM
In a 7 game series

Got to admit both teams are looking scary good.

Texas_Ranger
12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes we can and we will.

Dirk Nowitzki
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Unless AJ resigns as head coach for the Mavs, the best the Spurs can do is take the series 5-6 games now that the Mavs are experienced. The Spurs arent athletic, physically and mentally tough enough to beat someone like this Mavs team. Homecourt or no homecourt that will be the result.

stretch
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
The Suns, yes. They still play no defense and are a poor rebounding team. You can't win unless you play defense and rebound.

The Mavs, I dont think so, and im not just saying that because I'm a Mavs fan. I think the Mavs clearly are the more talented team, and have finally gotten over the mental hump of the past, which is really the biggest edge that the Spurs have had. It will still be a competitive series, because the Spurs have Tim Duncan. No matter what the team is, if you have Tim Duncan, you are a title contender. There is no player in the NBA that has won more, with less help.

dg7md
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Spurs are better on the road can't you guys see? Ignore the past two "slump" games. Mavs started 0-4, we just lost two in a row, it was bound to happen.

td4mvp21
12-03-2006, 04:16 PM
The Suns, yes. They still play no defense and are a poor rebounding team. You can't win unless you play defense and rebound.

The Mavs, I dont think so, and im not just saying that because I'm a Mavs fan. I think the Mavs clearly are the more talented team, and have finally gotten over the mental hump of the past, which is really the biggest edge that the Spurs have had. It will still be a competitive series, because the Spurs have Tim Duncan. No matter what the team is, if you have Tim Duncan, you are a title contender. There is no player in the NBA that has won more, with less help.

At this point, you are exactly right. Unless the Spurs clearly step up their overall game, the Mavs are gonna win the West. Even if we do step it up, it's still a very up in the air matchup.

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm constantly amazed by Mavericks fans who insist that there is some great gulf between their team and the Spurs.

The Mavericks might be better -- might. But to act as if that's a no brainer somehow or that the Spurs are essentially without any chance to defeat the Mavericks in a playoff series is the epitome of homerism to me.

Leetonidas
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't think the Suns will be a problem. The Mavs will be a bigger problem, but the Spurs will dispatch them this year in 6 games.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I think the spurs are fucked if they meet the mavericks again, we will get outrebounded like babies.

exstatic
12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
We could give Phoenix 5 home games and beat them in a series. As for Dallas, the better team will prevail; home court hasn't really meant much lately.

Dirk Nowitzki
12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I think the spurs are fucked if they meet the mavericks again, we will get outrebounded like babies.
:tu :tu You know your shit!

mikeanthony21
12-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Unless AJ resigns as head coach for the Mavs, the best the Spurs can do is take the series 5-6 games now that the Mavs are experienced. The Spurs arent athletic, physically and mentally tough enough to beat someone like this Mavs team. Homecourt or no homecourt that will be the result.

Wow, a 12-game winning streak will do wonders for a franchise with an inferiority complex. :downspin:

Dirk Nowitzki
12-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Wow, a 12-game winning streak will do wonders for a franchise with an inferiority complex. :downspin:

No beating you in the playoffs and at one point being up 3-1 in the series is what makes me believe that. :)

Big Shot Rob
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Actually a 12 game streak would sound nice for the Spurs right now. Heck--a three game steak would be okay even.

mikejones99
12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Yes

exstatic
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
No beating you in the playoffs and at one point being up 3-1 in the series is what makes me believe that. :)
As you've painfully learned, 3-1 ain't shit, so don't come at us with that. Dallas won a tough 7 game series, but don't act like you have separation. All you've achieved is a degree of parity. I'd say a slight edge, but that ass-waxing that Miami put on Dallas is nothing SA has ever experienced: a loss in the Finals.

Nikos
12-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I rather have homecourt.

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm more scared of the Mav's than Suns. The Mav's beat us last year and they only have gotten better. Dirk is about impossible to stop.

lefty
12-03-2006, 09:17 PM
If we play like we've been playing lately, no way ; u can't play well for just 3 quarters and expect to beat them

tim_duncan_fan
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
suns yes. mavs possibly.

PM5K
12-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Homecourt, lol, it's December....

mikeanthony21
12-04-2006, 12:12 AM

Does that include the Mavs coughing up that 3-1 lead then coming within one dumbass foul away from a humiliating defeat and then coughing up another lead in the Finals to a presumably less talented Miami bunch?

ponky
12-04-2006, 12:12 AM
do you even follow your own team?!?!?!? check out your road record, then check out your home record...that said, it's way too early to be talking about homecourt but if you wanna talk this early then look at your freakin' records

ponky
12-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm constantly amazed by Mavericks fans who insist that there is some great gulf between their team and the Spurs.

The Mavericks might be better -- might. But to act as if that's a no brainer somehow or that the Spurs are essentially without any chance to defeat the Mavericks in a playoff series is the epitome of homerism to me.

Umm, there are a lot of Spurs fans who think the same way as those Mavs fans. Sure you guys have three rings but when we're talking about the Mavs/Spurs last season AND this season, there is really no great gulf which is why watching the matchups is so much fun.

dbreiden83080
12-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Sure it all comes down to who is hot at the end of the season. Spurs and Pistons won 63 and 64 games last year and neither was in the finals.

dbreiden83080
12-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Umm, there are a lot of Spurs fans who think the same way as those Mavs fans. Sure you guys have three rings but when we're talking about the Mavs/Spurs last season AND this season, there is really no great gulf which is why watching the matchups is so much fun.

Mavs got a great squad it will probably come down to those 2 again this year as long as both are healthy.

ponky
12-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Mavs got a great squad it will probably come down to those 2 again this year as long as both are healthy.

I think so too, I just don't see anyone else upsetting these two teams...but like you said, HEALTH is all important. I, for one, am looking forward to the matchup, the only time my heartrate speeds up, literally.

phyzik
12-04-2006, 01:13 AM
I think it will be a tight series and I have to agree fully with FWDT.... Mavs fans have been acting as if they are the Alpha and Omega of basketball now.... despite barely winning a 7 games series in overtime against the Spurs and choking royally on the big stage, then going on to start off this season with 0-4.

Kori Ellis
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't know why you'd think the Spurs aren't going to have homecourt against the Suns. The Spurs already beat them once and I believe the teams only play 3 times this year.

As for the Mavericks, I think it would be a long tough series anyway, no matter who has homecourt.

mavs>spurs2
12-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Mavs have a bad habit of really outplaying teams to start the game, then choking it away and having a fight on their hands at the end of the game. When that happens, its anyones game. Just look at the Miami series, we were up 2-0 with a big lead in game 3 and let up too soon. When they get that killer instinct and learn to close out teams then they will be really tough to beat.

phxspurfan
12-04-2006, 02:06 AM
theyre already learning that. AJ is the catalyst on the bench when they start losing focus. if all players are healthy and played a 7 game series, it will go to a game 7.

DubMcDub
12-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Would be a great, close series.

From looking at it on paper the Mavs certainly have a decided advantage in terms of talent from top to bottom. I'll say coaching is probably a wash, though I'm inclined to give the edge to Pop here simply because he's won on the big stage multiple times.

Then you have intangibles. The Spurs play some of the best team basketball you'll ever see. But they're also getting older. The Mavs are much, much more athletic at this point. I also think the Mavs will be hungrier. All of the key players on the Spurs have won a couple titles already--whereas Dirk and Jet and the rest were 2 games away and let it slip. I think in a potential playoff series the Mavs would come out wanting it more and take it in 6 games.

Lot of basketball to be played before then, though.

zero signal
12-04-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't think homecourt matters either way against the Mavericks. Both teams can win on the other's floor. Hell, the Mavs play better on the Spurs' court then on theirs.

GrandeDavid
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
The Suns don't worry me at all. Last time the Suns tried to run on the Spurs in a playoff series they got ousted 4-1. Plus there are other factors.

Now the Mavs have me concerned. I'm finally admitting that the Spurs beating the Mavs in a playoff series just might be considered a damn upset. Now, having said that, its a long, long season. But the Mavs are well-coached, have great team chemistry, are tough and shoot and drive. They are gonna be tough.

GrandeDavid
12-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Having said what I did, I don't think homecourt would really matter. Not only have the Spurs, year after year, proven that they are late season and playoff road warriors, but I don't think coming into the AT&T Center shakes the Mavs in the least bit. In fact, I think the Mavs like playing at AT&T and feel that they can win there on any night.

GrandeDavid
12-04-2006, 09:17 AM

I know, its pathetic and sad. And coming from fans of a championshipless franchise who missed a golden opportunity last season. Now the Mavs will face a really juiced up Spurs team out for vengeance, prepared for adversity, not to mention its an odd-numbered year.

I wonder where these fans were during the dark days of the 90s. :lol

kalikot_boy_kr
12-04-2006, 09:31 AM
hhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

LB7
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I know, its pathetic and sad. And coming from fans of a championshipless franchise who missed a golden opportunity last season. Now the Mavs will face a really juiced up Spurs team out for vengeance, prepared for adversity, not to mention its an odd-numbered year.

I wonder where these fans were during the dark days of the 90s. :lol
Probably not posting on message boards because we had Prodigy for internet and we didn't know these things existed. Some of us have been here since the dark days. Have me a Brad Davis autograph, how bout that? Heck, when Michael Finley came to the Mavs, I was so excited. He was my favorite Mav from there on out. Now, I'm only 22 so I didn't really FOLLOW until about 1996 or so but I do remember going to games in the early 90s and late 80s with my Dad and my brother. Back when hustle points were the only thing good about a Mavs game. There are bandwagoners for every team but some of us have been there since those "dark days" and we finally get to brag about our team. Its about freakin time. I've paid my dues. :)

duncanchick21
12-04-2006, 11:12 AM
guys, i know everyone is doubting the team right now, but there always hope. what they need right now is support. Look at the good things. tim is healthy. no else is injured beside manu. I say they can win the mavs and suns. just wait and see after all-star break. i still believe in you guys GO SPURS GO!!!!

z0sa
12-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Spurs and Mavs will meet again this year - if we stay big, we win.

LEONARD
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Suns? Yes
Mavs? No

phxspurfan
12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
classic "who do you give more respect" thread.

phxspurfan
12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Spurs and Mavs will meet again this year - if we stay big, we win.

this depends a lot on how consistently oberto can knock down those midrange jumpers and if elson gets quality mins defending dirk. if oberto becomes inconsistent and pop again fails to trust elson, we lose, even in the big half court plodding game.

bdictjames
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It's all about defense and controlling the tempo of the game. If we do that we will surely win

Amuseddaysleeper
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
It's all about defense and controlling the tempo of the game. If we do that we will surely win

AKA as long as Pop stops his atrocious substitution patterns, doesn't give in to small ball, and puts Elson on Nowitzki

TwoHandJam
12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
:lol

Hmmm let me think... Have the Spurs ever choked away four straight games in the finals? Hmmmm.... I don't know.... maybe they aren't as mentally tough as the Mavs. Damn.

LEONARD
12-04-2006, 01:45 PM
speaking of Dirk....why not get into his head? give him a solid elbow to the face when he drives to the lane...pull a Piston-Jordan on his ass. We know he ain't fearless like Jordan was/is, he would be scared to drive.

Get Eric to use those pointy elbows for a few drives.

Classy...

dbreiden83080
12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Would be a great, close series.

From looking at it on paper the Mavs certainly have a decided advantage in terms of talent from top to bottom. I'll say coaching is probably a wash, though I'm inclined to give the edge to Pop here simply because he's won on the big stage multiple times.

Then you have intangibles. The Spurs play some of the best team basketball you'll ever see. But they're also getting older. The Mavs are much, much more athletic at this point. I also think the Mavs will be hungrier. All of the key players on the Spurs have won a couple titles already--whereas Dirk and Jet and the rest were 2 games away and let it slip. I think in a potential playoff series the Mavs would come out wanting it more and take it in 6 games.

Lot of basketball to be played before then, though.

Spurs got the nasty taste of losing game 7 in their house, hunger going up against the Mavs will not be an issue.

TwoHandJam
12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
but spurs have choked four games in the playoffs before..
Notice I said, "in the finals". The biggest stage of all makes a difference. Spurs are 3-0 in the finals. They know what to do when they get there, unlike the Mavs.

ponky
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Notice I said, "in the finals". The biggest stage of all makes a difference. Spurs are 3-0 in the finals. They know what to do when they get there, unlike the Mavs.

It's ridiculous to expect that the Mavs will choke it away again. Even most Spurs fans think that if the Mavs happen to get back to the Finals they aren't going to go down to the East. We lost to the Spurs in the 2003 matchup, and did it happen again? Let's see....NO. A team can always learn from its mistakes and the Mavericks show every indication that they've moved on and are willing to learn.

dbreiden83080
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
It's ridiculous to expect that the Mavs will choke it away again. Even most Spurs fans think that if the Mavs happen to get back to the Finals they aren't going to go down to the East. We lost to the Spurs in the 2003 matchup, and did it happen again? Let's see....NO. A team can always learn from its mistakes and the Mavericks show every indication that they've moved on and are willing to learn.

It is going to be a real tough hall to get that title. Just ask us Spurs fans they were just as good if not better in 04 compared to 03. The way Timmy played in that series with the Mavs they were also better in 06 then they were in 05. I was shocked the Mavs lost that series after going up 2-0, everything seemed to be pointing to this is their time. Who knows if they will get back this year, nothing is a given.

rasho8
12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
I like all the Mavs fans in the Spurs forum... its annoying and yet funny.

Oh wait... and your back where you belong in second place after tonight.

Well done.

SoCalSpursFan
12-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Yes.

TwoHandJam
12-05-2006, 09:13 AM
It's ridiculous to expect that the Mavs will choke it away again. Even most Spurs fans think that if the Mavs happen to get back to the Finals they aren't going to go down to the East. We lost to the Spurs in the 2003 matchup, and did it happen again? Let's see....NO. A team can always learn from its mistakes and the Mavericks show every indication that they've moved on and are willing to learn.Don't get me wrong, I respect the Mavs a lot and I think they'll be a tough out. They've likely learned a hard lesson from the finals and will be stronger because of it.

I was just responding to the ridiculous post that said the Spurs weren't mentally tough. The Mavs probably learned last year that there is another level of mental toughness they need to reach - if they can get back to the finals.

mabber
12-05-2006, 04:17 PM

I totally agree with this. I always laugh when I see other Mav posters talk as if the Mavs are definitely the better team (and visa versa with Spurs fans).

As a Mav fan I'd like to think the Mavs are better but I really have no clue at this point. I really think the Spurs & Mavs are so close that it will just be a matter of who is the healthiest in the playoffs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2006, 06:11 PM
The Mavs have some matchup advantages over the Spurs right now.

I expect Pop to get a plan by the playoffs. Maybe he'll just figure we'll have to go small in order to matchup.

td4mvp21
12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I totally agree with this. I always laugh when I see other Mav posters talk as if the Mavs are definitely the better team (and visa versa with Spurs fans).

As a Mav fan I'd like to think the Mavs are better but I really have no clue at this point. I really think the Spurs & Mavs are so close that it will just be a matter of who is the healthiest in the playoffs.

:tu

As a Spurs fans, it's so easy to say that we are better. But when it really comes down to it, I honestly have no clue who is. Sometimes I think Spurs others I think Mavs.

mavs>spurs2
12-05-2006, 06:46 PM
The mavs are obviously an 82 win team while the spurs will lose every game..... :smokin

phxspurfan
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
speaking of Dirk....why not get into his head? give him a solid elbow to the face when he drives to the lane...pull a Piston-Jordan on his ass. We know he ain't fearless like Jordan was/is, he would be scared to drive.

Get Eric to use those pointy elbows for a few drives.

yeah...that really disrupted MJs game... :lol

LEONARD
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I like all the Mavs fans in the Spurs forum... its annoying and yet funny.

Oh wait... and your back where you belong in second place after tonight.

Well done.

LMAO!! Damn those Mavs falling a half game back in early Dec!!! WTF?? Damn they suck...

12-5 and 12-5... :fro

PM5K
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Two Words:

Utah Jazz....

mabber
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Two Words:

Utah Jazz....

The Jazz are a much improved team this season but they won't be ready to compete for the Western Conference Championship this year (even if they end up with the best record, which I really doubt will happen). It usually takes a team at least a couple of times going deep in the playoffs before they learn how to win at that level.