PDA

View Full Version : Florida vaults to No. 2 in BCS, will play Ohio State for national title

ducks
12-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Florida vaults to No. 2 in BCS, will play Ohio State for national title
USC likely to face Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
By Chris Dufresne, Times Staff Writer
12:54 PM PST, December 3, 2006

BCS worthy
click to enlargeThere isn't going to be a rematch.

No. 1 Ohio State will play No. 2 Florida, not Michigan, for the Bowl Championship Series national title on Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.

According to a BCS source, Florida moved from fourth to second today ahead of No. 3 Michigan in the final BCS standings.

An official announcement will come this evening in a televised unveiling on Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT
The news means that USC will play Michigan, not Louisiana State, in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

LSU had pre-sold more than 42,000 tickets in advance of making its first-ever Rose Bowl appearance, but UCLA's upset win over previously No. 2 USC on Saturday, coupled with Florida's win over Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference championship game, changed the final pairings.

The BCS bowl lineup is now expected to be:

Rose: USC vs. Michigan.

Sugar: Notre Dame vs. LSU.

Orange: Louisville vs. Wake Forest.

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. Boise State.

Florida's jump over No. 3 Michigan, which was idle Saturday and has not played since a three-point loss to No. 1 Ohio State on Nov. 18, likely will cause more uproar in BCS circles.

This will mark the fifth time in the nine-year history of the BCS that there has been controversy involving the title-game participants.

In the end, enough voters in the Harris Interactive and USA Today coaches' polls moved Florida to No. 2, ahead of Michigan, on their final ballots.

Ohio State Coach Jim Tressel released a statement today saying he did not vote in the final coaches' poll to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest.

"After consultation with my director of athletics, Gene Smith, and based on our unique position in the BCS standings, I believe it is only fair that we not participate (in) the final poll," Tressel said in a statement.

Michigan and Florida each finished the regular season with one loss, on the road. Michigan was 11-1 with its defeat at Ohio State, while 12-1 Florida lost at Auburn.

Florida picked up 66 points on Michigan in the coaches' poll and finished with a 26-point advantage.

BULL SHIT
[email protected]

Jimcs50
12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Told you so

JoeChalupa
12-03-2006, 07:44 PM
So much for waiting for the Fox Countdown which currently stands at 6:00 till the official announcment.

JoeChalupa
12-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Ohio State is the National Champion!!!

ShoogarBear
12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Really, why have a rematch? What if Michigan beat tOSU in the rematch? Why can't tOSU then say that proves nothing?

JoeChalupa
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Really, why have a rematch? What if Michigan beat tOSU in the rematch? Why can't tOSU then say that proves nothing?

True.

sa_butta
12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
If Florida gets blown out this looks really dumb.

P-O-Z
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
i think florida will win

JamStone
12-03-2006, 09:00 PM

I'm not that upset about Michigan not going to the NC game. But, why can't OSU say it proves nothing if Michigan won the rematch? Because it's on a neutral field. Because winning by a field goal at home over another team proves less than in the National Championship game at a neutral site.

But, it's cool. Ohio State deserves to not have to face Michigan again. And, Florida is a very good team. I think Michigan is a better team, but I don't blame Florida for anything. It's not like they don't deserve to be there. It's just my opinion that Michigan deserves to be there more.

Oh well. Shit happens. It's a flawed system, and everyone knows that. Almost every year, at least one team will be upset at how the bowl games are set up.

ducks
12-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I bet florida loses by 14 atleast

ducks
12-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Told you so
you said give me the this game
you said we wanted to see this game
NOT that this would happen
I think this is wrong
michigan should not go to the other bowl game
and file a lawsuit

ABDENOUR POWER
12-03-2006, 10:00 PM
This is bullshit. Florida is gonna get owned.

dirk4mvp
12-03-2006, 10:03 PM
This is bullshit. Florida is gonna get owned.

:tu

MosesGuthrie
12-03-2006, 10:05 PM
If Florida gets blown out this looks really dumb.

It will all look stupid until there is a playoff.

johngateswhiteley
12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
...this is the best play. i am glad there is no rematch.

JamStone
12-03-2006, 10:54 PM
As a Michigan fan and alum, of course I'd love to see the Wolverines have a chance to win a national championship, but I don't have that much of a problem with the outcome. The system is fucked up and we all know it. Florida is a deserving candidate to go to the NC game. I think Michigan was too. Shit happens.

Let's just change the system now, because it's obvious that it's not the best system.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
ROFL
JGW is that brian cushing in the leftmost part of your signature picture?

rr2418
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Michigan only lost by 3 points the last time. This rematch would've been at a neutral site. It's not a regular season game, it's for the NC. So, Michigan beating Ohio St. would've proven them the better team.

Just the fact that the bowl selection committee might not have send UM b/c "they", the committee didn't want a rematch says how flawed the BCS system is.

johngateswhiteley
12-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Just the fact that the bowl selection committee might not have send UM b/c "they", the committee didn't want a rematch says how flawed the BCS system is.

i disagree, sending Michigan would have been worse. they did what was right:

1. michigan wins in the rematch = solves nothing
2. ohio state beats michigan again = solves nothing
3. since SC lost, the only real option, to me, is florida

...i use to think that there was no way florida would go, but the talking heads got together and started making sense of the whole picture and i am glad how it turned out. anybody who thinks tosu is going to kill florida doesn't watch CFB enough...should be a close game.

Tek_XX
12-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Florida might keep it respectable but they'll lose by solid double digits. Hopefully Michigan can handle USC and make the voters rethink their decision but they won't becuase it's all about the "NO REMATCH" in college football.

JamStone
12-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Florida playing in the NC game solves nothing either. The point is that BOTH of the decisions to place either Florida or Michigan in the NC game would leave some people questioning the system.

It's a flawed system.

Even some of the voters who chose Florida to go to the title game would believe that Michigan is the better team.

Should the National Championship game have the no. 1 and no. 2 teams in the country? Or should it be set up so there is no rematch of a regular season game to appease some people?

Bob Lanier
12-04-2006, 12:05 AM
This makes sense. Florida is the best team in -by far- the best conference in the best football league on the planet.

They'll show everyone what the SEC is all about!

OSU 47 - FLA 10

Marklar MM
12-04-2006, 12:07 AM
This makes sense. Florida is the best team in -by far- the best conference in the best football league on the planet.

They'll show everyone what the SEC is all about!

OSU 47 - FLA 10

HAHA. Good one.

kingsfan
12-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Fuck the BCS, fuck the Gators! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif Wolverines were robbed and it happens every year. I wish they'd just switch to PO system to avoid all this. OSU >>>>>>>>>> UF, it's going to be a boring ass game but that's they want. At least Mich. would keep it close and possibly win.

SrA Husker
12-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Dear Vulvarine Fans:

1) Florida has more wins than you
2) You had your chance

Just be glad you aren't playing Nebraska and actually have a chance to win your bowl game this year.

kingsfan
12-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Mich>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Florida

George Gervin's Afro
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Michigan is the second best team in the country. I have even less respect for Urban Meyer now. The BCS is not supposed to decide whether a rematch is warranted or not. The system is supposed to decide who the two best teams are. I hope Ohio State runs it up on Florida. I think they will win by at least 30 points.. another lame national championship game..

Jimcs50
12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Schedule/Results
Week Date Opponent Result Coverage
2 Sat., Sep 2 Southern Miss W 34-7
3 Sat., Sep 9 UCF W 42-0
4 Sat., Sep 16 @Tennessee W 21-20
5 Sat., Sep 23 Kentucky W 26-7
6 Sat., Sep 30 Alabama W 28-13
7 Sat., Oct 7 LSU W 23-10
8 Sat., Oct 14 @Auburn L 27-17
10 Sat., Oct 28 Georgia W 21-14
11 Sat., Nov 4 @Vanderbilt W 25-19
12 Sat., Nov 11 South Carolina W 17-16
13 Sat., Nov 18 Western Carolina W 62-0
14 Sat., Nov 25 @Florida State W 21-14
15 Sat., Dec 2 Arkansas W 38-28

All these teams were ranked in top 25.

Florida played a much tougher schedule.

George Gervin's Afro
12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Schedule/Results
Week Date Opponent Result Coverage
2 Sat., Sep 2 Southern Miss W 34-7
3 Sat., Sep 9 UCF W 42-0
4 Sat., Sep 16 @Tennessee W 21-20
5 Sat., Sep 23 Kentucky W 26-7
6 Sat., Sep 30 Alabama W 28-13
7 Sat., Oct 7 LSU W 23-10
8 Sat., Oct 14 @Auburn L 27-17
10 Sat., Oct 28 Georgia W 21-14
11 Sat., Nov 4 @Vanderbilt W 25-19
12 Sat., Nov 11 South Carolina W 17-16
13 Sat., Nov 18 Western Carolina W 62-0
14 Sat., Nov 25 @Florida State W 21-14
15 Sat., Dec 2 Arkansas W 38-28

All these teams were ranked in top 25.

Florida played a much tougher schedule.

Still doesn't make then the 2nd best team in the country. Unfortunately when Florida gets waxed it will be to late for you to come back and admit that Michigan was the 2nd best team .. With the exception of Ten. all of their 'tough' games were at home or on a neutral sight.. If I were to pull up Michigan's schedule I imagine I could find a few teams that were ranked at one time as well..

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Still doesn't make then the 2nd best team in the country. Unfortunately when Florida gets waxed it will be to late for you to come back and admit that Michigan was the 2nd best team .. With the exception of Ten. all of their 'tough' games were at home or on a neutral sight.. If I were to pull up Michigan's schedule I imagine I could find a few teams that were ranked at one time as well..

when USC beats Michigan, you'll see the error of your thinking.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
If I were to pull up Michigan's schedule I imagine I could find a few teams that were ranked at one time as well..

Penn St. and Iowa were ranked pretty high to start the year, and Central Michigan won the MAC and is playing in a bowl. I am a huge Michigan fan, I believe they got jobbed, I am not going to try and whine, and I can't give a great reason to exclude Florida, but how, in the writer's minds can Michigan, who was ranked #2 after they lost to Ohio St. drop in the polls when they didn't play after that. I know Florida had a chance to impress, but does a seven point win over Florida St. (this year's team) and a come from behind, blown lead ten point win over Arkansas credence enough to vault Florida over Michigan? I think the writers voted out of not wanting to see a rematch than who they think is the second best team in the country. I am not saying Michigan is categorically better and is by far the second best team in the country, but I do think they are the second best team. I guess I really can't be all that upset, b/c the difference between the Gators and the Wolverines isn't all that great, and it just happened to be that Florida gets the chance this time. If you go back in time, there a a bunch of teams that should have the chance to play for the title and didn't. Aubrun in '03, Miami in '00, Nebraska and Michigan in '97, Penn St. in '94 and Notre Dame in '93.

tlongII
12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Michigan should be in the BCS Title game. The SEC is overrated. If Arkansas can play for the conference title you know something's wrong with your league.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Michigan should be in the BCS Title game. The SEC is overrated. If Arkansas can play for the conference title you know something's wrong with your league.

...thats more than slightly unfair.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Hahahaha.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Listen, I'm not going to go on here and bash Florida and say they suck and the SEC sucks, but I just want a better system. If Florida is the second best team, then lets have a system that proves it, not hypothisizes it by subjective voting. If I were King of the World, Michigan and Florida would be playing each other on the 16th in San Diego, or Glendale, or San Antonio and the #2 team in the country would de determined. The boners who voted Florida #1 and #5 in the Harris poll should be forced to give up their votes and have rotten eggs thrown at them during halftimne of the Sugar Bowl for their stupidity. If it had been Michigan who got to ahead of Florida, then the Florida fans would have every right to be pissed. There needs to be a better sytem, something where year in and year out, leigtitmate teams don't feel like they got screwed over.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Mich played 1 great team and 2 pretty good teams. They lost to the one great team and beat the 2 pretty good teams.

Fla played 4 pretty good teams and beat 3 of them.

I agree on the let Mich and Fla play to see who goes. It seems every year there is one team that feels screwed. The only problem is... if you make it a 1-game playoff to be #2 then the #4 team will bitch. If you make it Final Four, then the #5 team will bitch. It never ends. Every year 65 teams get into the NCAA Tourney and there are still people pissed they didn't get in. Even if we did have a playoff and 8 or 12 or 16 teams got in, the number 9 and 13 and 17 team would pitch a fit.

If I would have voted, I would have used 1 factor. You may not like it, but I think it is entirely relevant - a team does not deserve a shot at the BCS Title when they do not even win their own conf. I have a feeling that is why many coaches changed Fla to #2.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Mich played 1 great team and 2 pretty good teams. They lost to the one great team and beat the 2 pretty good teams.

Fla played 4 pretty good teams and beat 3 of them.

I agree on the let Mich and Fla play to see who goes. It seems every year there is one team that feels screwed. The only problem is... if you make it a 1-game playoff to be #2 then the #4 team will bitch. If you make it Final Four, then the #5 team will bitch. It never ends. Every year 65 teams get into the NCAA Tourney and there are still people pissed they didn't get in. Even if we did have a playoff and 8 or 12 or 16 teams got in, the number 9 and 13 and 17 team would pitch a fit.

If I would have voted, I would have used 1 factor. You may not like it, but I think it is entirely relevant - a team does not deserve a shot at the BCS Title when they do not even win their own conf. I have a feeling that is why many coaches changed Fla to #2.

...this is a good post.

1. i am in favor of an 8 team playoff
2. but, yes, everyone will bitch no matter what...but that just cannot be a concern
3. for what its worth, i think they got it right, though. michigan does not deserve a second chance more than florida deserves ONE

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
All very good points by all of you.

I'm not only a Michigan fan but an alum as well. And, I'm not bitching or moaning about Florida going to the NC game. Do I believe Michigan deserves to be there? Yeah. Do I think Michigan is the second best team in the country? Yes. But, under this system, we got to accept the fact that there will be questionable and controversial decisions on which teams get to play for the championship.

It's the system that is flawed. It's not Florida's fault. I don't blame them. I don't even really blame the coaches or the voters. Disagree with them? Yes. Blame them? No. Because that's the system. The system needs to be changed.

It does nothing to bitch about it now. What needs to be done is changes to the system.

And, while there will always be teams that will feel like they got screwed, whether it's the #5 team in a 4 team playoff or the #17 team in a 16 team playoff, I think it's better that an arguable #4 or #16 team get screwed than the #2 team that gets screwed. Yes, even in the NCAA tournament for men's basketball, the #66 team is upset. But, who has a right to be more upset? The #66 team in the country who feels they are at least #65 or the #3 team in the country who was told that if a certain team would lose, they would be the clear #2?

No system will likely ever be perfect. But, at some point, you have to move up from 30% perfect to 65% perfect to 80% until you get a system that optimizes and maximizes the possibilities of having as fair and perfect a system as possible.

Florida deserves to be in the NC title game. This isn't about Michigan being clearly better than Florida. It's about it being arguable. It's about it being unfair because it's not clear that Florida is better than Michigan.

Change the system.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
The coach's polls are dorked anyway. Hell darth visor voted uo 4th over Wisc and USC and LSU and Lville.

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
3. for what its worth, i think they got it right, though. michigan does not deserve a second chance more than florida deserves ONE

That's your opinion, and that's fine. One could argue that Florida did have it's chance and lost it when they lost to Auburn. It's the same argument had USC would have won and people would have argued that USC had its chance but lost it when they lost to Oregon State.

It's a difference of opinion.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:25 PM
That's your opinion, and that's fine. One could argue that Florida did have it's chance and lost it when they lost to Auburn. It's the same argument had USC would have won and people would have argued that USC had its chance but lost it when they lost to Oregon State.

It's a difference of opinion.

except that neither auburn nor oregon state is the opponent in the national title. and that makes all the difference in the world...you lost to a team that is ranked higher than you and beat you already. florida is in a much different situation.

besides, this way you get to see just how good your team is compared to SC. your going to lose...making your small point moot.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, any type of playoff will have the team that is just barely on the outside bitch and moan, but I don't remeber anyone challenging the vailidity of Florida's basketball championship last year b/c some 4th or 5th place team from the major conferences didn't in. People still question Auburn from '03 and Penn St. from '94 b/c they did everything they could to win the National Title, but didn't get the chance to play it out on the field. The 9th, or 13th, or 17th teams can't unequivocally say that. They didn't do everything they could've done to get in. That is the difference, plain and simple. Undefeated teams, no matter how may there are should have a chance. I would even put Boise St. in that arguement, even though they play in a weaker conference.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
besides, this way you get to see just how good your team is compared to SC. your going to lose...making your small point moot.

Wow, might as well not play the game. I guess this is part of the reason that UT fans still pile on the Used Rubbers, even after they beat them last year.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow, might as well not play the game. I guess this is part of the reason that UT fans still pile on the Used Rubbers, even after they beat them last year.

oh no, play the game. its just my opinion....but i am confident SC will win.

Marklar MM
12-04-2006, 12:34 PM

Much like this prediction.

prediction: USC 41 ucla 10

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Why?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Much like this prediction.

go back and sift through all my thoughts on the game...i think you'll find as the week progressed i did not even think SC would cover.

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
except that neither auburn nor oregon state is the opponent in the national title. and that makes all the difference in the world...you lost to a team that is ranked higher than you and beat you already. florida is in a much different situation.

Right. Auburn and Oregon State are nowhere near the caliber of Ohio State. That's my point. Different approaches. Fine, think the way you want. I don't begrudge you. I'm just saying there is a different opinion out there.

Florida is absolutely in a different situation, and I don't think they don't deserve to go to the NC game. I'm just saying it's arguable that they should go ahead of Michigan. I don't blame Florida. I don't claim Michigan is CLEARLY better than Florida or more deserving.

But, there is a different opinion out there.

As for SC beating Michigan making my point moot ... well, an average UCLA team made you nothing, so your opinion means nothing to me. You said USC would rout UCLA.

Michigan will make JD Booty cry before that games over ... literally. Tears will run down his face.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Why?

why play the game? or why will SC win?

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Why?

Because I am a complete homer and do not pay attention to any stats or records... those are meaningless.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
why play the game? or why will SC win?

Why they will win.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:40 PM
As for SC beating Michigan making my point moot ... well, an average UCLA team made you nothing, so your opinion means nothing to me. You said USC would rout UCLA.

Michigan will make JD Booty cry before that games over ... literally. Tears will run down his face.

wgaf? teams lose to other inferior teams all the time...its called a rivalry bro. statements like that make me wonder if many of you posters even watch CFB games.

btw, care to make a wager on the SC vs. mich game?

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
go back and sift through all my thoughts on the game...i think you'll find as the week progressed i did not even think SC would cover.

Much like as the next four weeks progress, you will slowly come to realize that USC has no shot against Michigan. Luckily, it's at USC's backyard, so maybe it won't be a blow-out.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Why they will win.

cause they (SC) are better.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:42 PM
wgaf? teams lose to other inferior teams all the time...its called a rivalry bro. statements like that make me wonder if many of you posters even watch CFB games.

Yeah, man. Don't you guys know that the SC / Ore St is the hottest rivalry around? Don't you guys watch CFB?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, man. Don't you guys know that the SC / Ore St is the hottest rivalry around? Don't you guys watch CFB?

hey, "capt. shit for brains", i think you get my point...well maybe not.

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:44 PM

btw, care to make a wager on the SC vs. mich game?

I don't gamble money except at casinos and playing cards among friends. I don't bet on sports.

Putting some "USC" signature attached to my account doesn't embarrass me. But, if you want to wager something like "I'm one of the University of Michigan's bitches" on your sig when USC loses, that's fine.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
hey, "capt. shit for brains", i think you get my point...well maybe not.

Yes, I get your point. SC lost to 2 inferior teams and Mich lost to none.

Vizzini
12-04-2006, 12:46 PM
cause they (SC) are better.

Wow, what great expertise, such insight, such a good breakdown. I personally think Michigan will win b/c I think that Michigan will rectify their mistake against OSU and run Mike Hart more, which means they will eat more of the clock and keep Booty and Jarrett off the field, they will try to blitz and rattle Booty and will try to smack him around and get him a little jumpy, and I personally think Michigan has more to play for than SC, seeing that they can somehow try to prove to everyone else that they belong in the Championship game. Ah hell, none of that matters anyway, I'm just going to say Michigan is better, and that is my reasoning.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't gamble money except at casinos and playing cards among friends. I don't bet on sports.

Putting some "USC" signature attached to my account doesn't embarrass me. But, if you want to wager something like "I'm one of the University of Michigan's bitches" on your sig when USC loses, that's fine.

thats fine. you can put, "i wish i could suck Pete Carroll's dick" on yours.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
thats fine. you can put, "i wish i could suck Pete Carroll's dick like johngateswhiteley" on yours.

Whoa.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Whoa.

...truly a child. sad that you must resort to quoting me inaccurately.

JamStone
12-04-2006, 12:54 PM
thats fine. you can put, "i wish i could suck Pete Carroll's dick" on yours.

When USC loses?

I don't think I should have to put anything in my sig WHEN USC loses.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:56 PM
When USC loses?

I don't think I should have to put anything in my sig WHEN USC loses.

so loser has to don the winner's desired statement?

JamStone
12-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Ummm yeah. Apparently you didn't get the fact that my statements were meant to show how confident I am in the notion that Michigan will beat USC in the Rose Bowl.

But, it's whatever. If by miracle, Michigan loses, I'll put that I want to suck Peter Carroll's dick in my sig. It simply isn't happening. I won't even change my statement to put in your sig to be as vulgar or obscene as what you want me to put when Michigan beats USC.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
That's why you are so hard to take seriously jgw. You say someone wants to "suck Pete Carroll's dick" then you call someone else a child. You say people have no football knowledge, and yet say you don't need to prove why a team will win you just think so. At least you are consistant.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-04-2006, 06:55 PM
ROFL
JohnGatesWhiteley, is that Brian Cushing in the leftmost part of your signature picture?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
That's why you are so hard to take seriously jgw. You say someone wants to "suck Pete Carroll's dick" then you call someone else a child. You say people have no football knowledge, and yet say you don't need to prove why a team will win you just think so. At least you are consistant.

...if you cannot tell when someone is joking, being serious, or what their tone is at all...then i don't know what to tell you. if you think there is no difference between someone displaying bet sig ideas and someone misquoting you, then i don't know what to tell you.

and you see, this is why you never underestimate the ignorance of ok state fans or people in general for that matter. its quite easy to decipher tone and meaning in a forum....if you can read....and follow.

Jimcs50
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Florida played 6 ranked team, won 5 of those games.

I SEC was the best conference this year, The Big 10 was really a poor conference this year.

Michigan played 3 ranked teams, won 2.

Michigan could not evn win their conference, why should they play for Championship of the whole country, when they can not evn get out of the conference.

This happened a couple of times before, when Nebraska did not win the Big 12 and still got the nod to play Oklahoma for the title, is one that comes to mind.

I disagreed that time, and I would have this time.

JamStone
12-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Florida played 6 ranked team, won 5 of those games.

I SEC was the best conference this year, The Big 10 was really a poor conference this year.

Michigan played 3 ranked teams, won 2.

Michigan could not evn win their conference, why should they play for Championship of the whole country, when they can not evn get out of the conference.

This happened a couple of times before, when Nebraska did not win the Big 12 and still got the nod to play Oklahoma for the title, is one that comes to mind.

I disagreed that time, and I would have this time.

And, why didn't Michigan win its conference?

Oh yeah, because the NUMBER ONE team in the country did.

In the Olympics, do they deny the silver medal to an athlete if he or she represents the same country as the gold medalist???

Don't you see where that logic is messed up?

The point of the BCS was to determine the two best teams in the country to have them play in the National Championship game. The purpose is not to identify the two best teams among those that won their conference.

How about this scenerio: Say both Michigan and Ohio State were undefeated and didn't play each other for some reason. The Big Ten doesn't have a championship game. But, if hypothetically point differential determined the Conference champion and Ohio State won the Big Ten Conference even though Michigan was also undefeated. There were no other undefeated teams in the country. Would you still argue that a team that didn't win its conference shouldn't be in the title game?

I've been saying this over and over again. The system is flawed. It needs to be changed.

I'm a Michigan fan and alum. And, yes, I'm disappointed that Michigan doesn't get a chance at the national title when they are arguably the second best team in the country. I'm not mad at Florida or Urban Meyer or even the coaches and voters who gave the nod at Florida. I'm upset at the system. Year after year, the BCS proves to be a very flawed system. Then a year like last year happens, the the BCS honks think it's fine. It's not.

The BCS needs to have a playoff system.

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 01:33 AM
And, why didn't Michigan win its conference?

Oh yeah, because the NUMBER ONE team in the country did.

In the Olympics, do they deny the silver medal to an athlete if he or she represents the same country as the gold medalist???

Don't you see where that logic is messed up?

The point of the BCS was to determine the two best teams in the country to have them play in the National Championship game. The purpose is not to identify the two best teams among those that won their conference.

How about this scenerio: Say both Michigan and Ohio State were undefeated and didn't play each other for some reason. The Big Ten doesn't have a championship game. But, if hypothetically point differential determined the Conference champion and Ohio State won the Big Ten Conference even though Michigan was also undefeated. There were no other undefeated teams in the country. Would you still argue that a team that didn't win its conference shouldn't be in the title game?

I've been saying this over and over again. The system is flawed. It needs to be changed.

I'm a Michigan fan and alum. And, yes, I'm disappointed that Michigan doesn't get a chance at the national title when they are arguably the second best team in the country. I'm not mad at Florida or Urban Meyer or even the coaches and voters who gave the nod at Florida. I'm upset at the system. Year after year, the BCS proves to be a very flawed system. Then a year like last year happens, the the BCS honks think it's fine. It's not.

The BCS needs to have a playoff system.

yes, we all know the BCS needs a playoff. but i am not a michigan alum and i have an opinion on the matter as well. its simple, this is the lesser of 2 evils:

1. florida has not had a chance to play tosu, yet
2. michigan had their chance...and lost
3. having florida get a chance is easily the logical play
4. michigan against tosu again solves NOTHING

...can't you see that?

JamStone
12-05-2006, 02:10 AM
I can see your point of view.

Florida doesn't necessarily solve anything either. If OSU blows out Florida, which conceivable will happen, and Michigan decisively beats USC, which WILL happen, having Florida going to the NC game proved nothing, solved nothing, and just shows that the BCS is the mess that it is.

Florida had a chance to not have an argument, and lost it when it lost to Auburn. Can't you see that?

Again, my problem is with the system, not the outcome. Can't you see that?

The other aspect which has been discussed is that the voters were wrong in how they voted Florida in. If they truly believed that Florida was the better team and deserved to go the National Championship game ahead of Michigan, then why was Michigan ranked ahead of them before the SEC championship game? Better yet, why was Michigan ranked ahead of Florida after Michigan lost to Ohio State? If voters really believe Florida is the better team, they would have been ranked higher than Michigan since the Ohio State victory over Michigan. That's not what happened.

The voters don't really believe Florida deserves to go ahead of Michigan. It's because they thought USC would beat UCLA and there would be no Michigan/Florida debate. When USC crapped their pants, voters had to rethink it and voted based on not wanting to see a rematch over who they truly believed was the better team.

The BCS was supposed to determine the two best teams. Voting for Florida, when before the USC loss to UCLA and the SEC championship Florida was ranked behind Michigan, doesn't make sense. If USC wasn't made up of a bunch of choking bitches, Florida would have remained at #4 behind Michigan. So, why when USC gets punked does Florida jump Michigan?

How it happened doesn't make sense and is not how the BCS was intended.

That's why it's messed up. That's why the system is flawed. Because the BCS didn't pit the two best teams in the country when that's the purpose of the BCS to begin. This year, the BCS chose against a rematch. That's not the intent of the BCS system.

Can't you see that?

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 02:24 AM
I can see your point of view.

Florida doesn't necessarily solve anything either. If OSU blows out Florida, which conceivable will happen, and Michigan decisively beats USC, which WILL happen, having Florida going to the NC game proved nothing, solved nothing, and just shows that the BCS is the mess that it is.

Florida had a chance to not have an argument, and lost it when it lost to Auburn. Can't you see that?

Again, my problem is with the system, not the outcome. Can't you see that?

The other aspect which has been discussed is that the voters were wrong in how they voted Florida in. If they truly believed that Florida was the better team and deserved to go the National Championship game ahead of Michigan, then why was Michigan ranked ahead of them before the SEC championship game? Better yet, why was Michigan ranked ahead of Florida after Michigan lost to Ohio State? If voters really believe Florida is the better team, they would have been ranked higher than Michigan since the Ohio State victory over Michigan. That's not what happened.

The voters don't really believe Florida deserves to go ahead of Michigan. It's because they thought USC would beat UCLA and there would be no Michigan/Florida debate. When USC crapped their pants, voters had to rethink it and voted based on not wanting to see a rematch over who they truly believed was the better team.

The BCS was supposed to determine the two best teams. Voting for Florida, when before the USC loss to UCLA and the SEC championship Florida was ranked behind Michigan, doesn't make sense. If USC wasn't made up of a bunch of choking bitches, Florida would have remained at #4 behind Michigan. So, why when USC gets punked does Florida jump Michigan?

How it happened doesn't make sense and is not how the BCS was intended.

That's why it's messed up. That's why the system is flawed. Because the BCS didn't pit the two best teams in the country when that's the purpose of the BCS to begin. This year, the BCS chose against a rematch. That's not the intent of the BCS system.

Can't you see that?

i agree that no voter thought USC would lose and so they were not worried about a rematch. BUT:

...you are DEAD wrong about, "if ohio state blows out florida" it will solve nothing. dead wrong....ohio state is the national champs, then. and will have beaten florida and michigan....game....set....match. over.

MajorMike
12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
...if you cannot tell when someone is joking, being serious, or what their tone is at all...then i don't know what to tell you. if you think there is no difference between someone displaying bet sig ideas and someone misquoting you, then i don't know what to tell you.

and you see, this is why you never underestimate the ignorance of ok state fans or people in general for that matter. its quite easy to decipher tone and meaning in a forum....if you can read....and follow.

Then why is it always you that misses the boat?

You know, animals when they are beaten and backed in a corner often resort to lashing out.

MajorMike
12-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Awesome. I finally found the best authentic quote.

...yes, i am retarded.

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Then why is it always you that misses the boat?

You know, animals when they are beaten and backed in a corner often resort to lashing out.

(sigh)

Jimcs50
12-05-2006, 09:36 AM
LOOK AT THEIR SCHEDULES!!!!!!!!

Florida played in the SEC, a conference that every sports scribe and coach in the country said was the best conference in football this year by a wide margin. THEY WON THAT CONFERENCE. Michigan played in one of the weakest conferences in the country this year(of the Bowl coalition conferences), they played 4 good teams and lost one of them.

DO THE MATH

You people who keep saying Michigan deserved it over Florida are idiots.

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Florida played in the SEC, a conference that every sports scribe and coach in the country said was the best conference in football this year by a wide margin. THEY WON THAT CONFERENCE. Michigan played in one of the weakest conferences in the country this year(of the Bowl coalition conferences), they played 4 good teams and lost one of them.

DO THE MATH

well, not only that...but having a rematch solves absolutely nothing. there is not one good reason for a rematch, imo.

DarkReign
12-05-2006, 09:56 AM

DO THE MATH

Fair enough. When Florida gets hammered in the NC game, does that change your opinion of how great the SEC is, or how undeserving Michigan was?

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Fair enough. When Florida gets hammered in the NC game, does that change your opinion of how great the SEC is, or how undeserving Michigan was?

its like talking to a bunch of retards...:

1. florida is not going to get blown out

2. even if florida does get blown out, so what, ohio state is national champs then...as they should be. they will have already beaten michigan and then florida

...logic is sorely lacking in some on this forum.

Jimcs50
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM

I will take Florida and 10 pts in a wager. You want to make the bet?

JamStone
12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
its like talking to a bunch of retards...:

Imagine how we feel.

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Imagine how we feel.

...well to do that:

1. i'd have to become illogical
2. whine about michigan not being in the title game
3. and correspond with posters far more logical and intelligent than i

no thanks.

JamStone
12-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Exactly what I mean.

1. Other people with different opinions does not = illogical.
2. I don't think that Michigan should be in the title game, much less whine about it. I think Florida deserves to be there in the National Title game. I just want the system changed.
3. You should already know how it feels like with respect to your # 3. But, being a Trojan fan, unfortunately, you're not logical or intelligent enough to realize that.

Thanks.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I will take Florida and 10 pts in a wager. You want to make the bet?

I'll take it at 9.5. What's the wager?

12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
The system is seriously flawed. Michigan should have never stayed at #2 and Florida shouldn't have jumped them.

The process is fucked up and will not change until we have four undefeated teams from BCS conferences.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Exactly what I mean.

1. Other people with different opinions does not = illogical.
2. I don't think that Michigan should be in the title game, much less whine about it. I think Florida deserves to be there in the National Title game. I just want the system changed.
3. You should already know how it feels like with respect to your # 3. But, being a Trojan fan, unfortunately, you're not logical or intelligent enough to realize that.

Thanks.I pretty much agree with your position on this.

One other illogical aspect of this: Michigan will probably finish #2 in all the polls if they win the Rose Bowl.

Reason being:
-if OSU wins, even if they just squeak by, and Michigan wins, UM will be #2
-if Florida wins and Michigan wins, then OSU will probably drop to #3 on the old adage that you're only as good as your last game. Not saying that's logical, but that's the usual history.

Jimcs50
12-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I'll take it at 9.5. What's the wager?

We can bet a Starbucks gift card....say $25?

That would be easy to send in the mail.

Kori knows me and knows that I am good for it...so I will not welch....hope you are honorable as well.

Deal?

12-05-2006, 06:34 PM
We can bet a Starbucks gift card....say $25?

That would be easy to send in the mail.

Kori knows me and knows that I am good for it...so I will not welch....hope you are honorable as well.

Deal?

Deal.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Jim, did you ever notice that DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 has the letters "DUF"?

12-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Huh? DUF?

BTW, anyone have $25 I could borrow?

Bo Malette
12-06-2006, 12:59 AM
The system is seriously flawed. Michigan should have never stayed at #2 and Florida shouldn't have jumped them.

The process is fucked up and will not change until we have four undefeated teams from BCS conferences.
thats just crazy enough to work.

if something that crazy happened i bet they would at least institute a special 1 time playoff

Vizzini
12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Whatever anyone believes, whatever everyone thinks what happened is right or wrong, the system came down to opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Until there is a system that uses opinions to formulate the best 8, or 12, or 16 teams in the country and then lets them play it out on the field, and not just picking the two supposed best, or most deserving, or justifiable teams. I am of the opinion that just becuase you won your conference title doesn't make you better than another team who finished second in theirs. You could LSU and Michigan to make that argument this season.

NoMoneyDown
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Whatever anyone believes, whatever everyone thinks what happened is right or wrong, the system came down to opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Until there is a system that uses opinions to formulate the best 8, or 12, or 16 teams in the country and then lets them play it out on the field, and not just picking the two supposed best, or most deserving, or justifiable teams. I am of the opinion that just becuase you won your conference title doesn't make you better than another team who finished second in theirs. You could LSU and Michigan to make that argument this season.

:clap

Another good thing a PO system would institute is when a team loses one or more key players in the RS and loses a game or two during that span. Today, they wouldn't have a chance playing in the NC game (or maybe not even a major BCS game) with two losses. Fully loaded, they could possibly stand a good chance in winning the NC (or other major bowl). Of course, the flip side to that is that if a PO system expands to 8+ teams, and you are undefeated going into your last 1-2 games, the incentive to win may not be as strong. Heck, even the coach may rest some of his starters, knowing his team is already PO bound.

Jimcs50
12-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Jim, did you ever notice that DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 has the letters "DUF"?

:spin

Vizzini
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
:clap

Another good thing a PO system would institute is when a team loses one or more key players in the RS and loses a game or two during that span. Today, they wouldn't have a chance playing in the NC game (or maybe not even a major BCS game) with two losses. Fully loaded, they could possibly stand a good chance in winning the NC (or other major bowl). Of course, the flip side to that is that if a PO system expands to 8+ teams, and you are undefeated going into your last 1-2 games, the incentive to win may not be as strong. Heck, even the coach may rest some of his starters, knowing his team is already PO bound.

Yeah, that is something to consider, but take for example OSU/Michigan, if the same thing happened like this year, but a playoff existed and both were all ready locks to make it, and both Tressell and Carr rested their key players, they would be crucified by the fans, media and former players for not giving all they had to game that means so much. I know not all games are going to be huge rivalry games with things to play for, but you don't see the good teams in the college basketball rest all their players toward the end of the season, plus you could put seeding and possible home field advantage on the line to make every game still count. I know there is going to be bitching no matter way you do it, but it would be easier to hear it from the 9th or the 17th team than it would be to hear it from the 3rd.

01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
SEC suddenly doesn't look so tough after today.

Bob Lanier
01-01-2007, 05:12 PM
That was a fluke. The SEC is better than the NFL.