PDA

View Full Version : The Chimp Targets SS

Nbadan
11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Whaaaa? What happened to Privatizing Social security?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) said on Thursday he planned to start work immediately on reforming America's ailing Social Security (news - web sites) retirement system and predicted a long slog ahead.

"We will start on Social Security now. We will start bringing together those in Congress who agree with my assessment that we need to work together," he said in his first news conference after the bitterly contested presidential election.

Bush said reforming Social Security would be a priority during his second term and he predicted it would be very tough and costly.

By reform, I'm sure W means raise payroll taxes. Otherwise, what else is there to reform?

Hook Dem
11-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Whaaaa? What happened to Privatizing Social security?

By reform, I'm sure W means raise payroll taxes. Otherwise, what else is there to reform?
Don't worry bout it Dan. At the rate you're going, you're not gonna live long enough to worry about it. :lol

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah, SS is great man.

2pac
11-04-2004, 12:55 PM
If there were term limits in congress, there would be no social security anymore. It would have been dumped years ago when it should have been.

Spurminator
11-04-2004, 12:56 PM
The Chimp Targets SS... By reform, I'm sure W means raise payroll taxes.

2 + x + y = 10

2pac
11-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah - and reforming SS could include privatizing it.

Clandestino
11-04-2004, 01:14 PM
^^^exactly. the privatization of ss would be construed as a reformation...maybe not for dan though...

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Yes, Bush's SS reform means to establish private accounts within the program. I'd prefer to see it dissolved after people above a certain age (45,50?) are paid off. But that's just me. The premise of the program is that individuals are not capable of preparing for their own retirement. In short, they are unable to manage their own affairs. Given that roughly 65%+ of Americans own equities today I'd say the program is a bit outmoded in its current structure. The most sane direction for reform would be to change it from its current one size fits all structure into a direct welfare program. After all, the point of SS is to provide income to retirees who actually need it.

danny is accurate about one thing. If Kerry was president the only "reform" you could count on would be an increase in the payroll tax rate.

2pac
11-04-2004, 01:30 PM
When SS was started, the 'retirement age' was also the life expectancy of the average person.

SS was never supposed to be what you live off of, nor were people supposed to be on it for 30 years.