PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl = meaningless?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 12:55 AM
If it's not for a Championship it doesn't mean anything in the big picture. VY shredding Michigan was fun, but it was pretty much meaningless since it didn't result in a National Championship.

...you shouldn't be allowed to post after saying the Rose Bowl bowl is meaningless.

i guess:

1. beating Michigan didn't help recruiting for the future
2. didn't give your team confidence going into next year
3. wasn't part of the maturation process of vyoung
4. didn't give t.u. millions more $ than a non-bcs would (helping contribute to making t.u.'s facilities even better)

...yeah, you're right, it is meaningless. except that its not.

you didn't go to Dartmouth...cause i have a couple friends that went there....and they don't teach stupid, and you're beyond slow. enjoy the alamo bowl...you earned it.

reydawg
12-04-2006, 01:46 AM
new thread?

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 01:55 AM
new thread?

...its only logical, this needs more exposure.

reydawg
12-04-2006, 02:36 AM
...its only logical, this needs more exposure.

Fair enough. You're right about how important a big bowl win can be for a program, and your example of Texas in the 2005 Rose Bowl is apt.

It's been talked about repeatedly how that game served as a springboard for our national title run the next year, so I won't go into that.

But also important is what a big bowl loss can do to you. Same example - look at what happened to Michigan on the flip side of that 2005 Rose Bowl. That really was a crushing loss, and they spent their entire offseason trying to figure out where this Vince Young guy came from and how he shredded their defense. That hangover carried over into the next season. An early loss to Notre Dame seemingly out of nowhere and the wheels were off - they closed it out 7-5 in the Alamo Bowl against Nebraska. And that was a squad with National Title talent - look at where those guys are this year.

Georgia after last year's Sugar Bowl?
FSU after last year's Orange Bowl?
Miami after whatever bowl it was where they got blown up last year?
And even OU after USC took them apart in the 2005 Orange Bowl...

The point being a rough loss in a bowl game can carry over into next year just as a big win can build momentum for the future.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Fair enough. You're right about how important a big bowl win can be for a program, and your example of Texas in the 2005 Rose Bowl is apt.

It's been talked about repeatedly how that game served as a springboard for our national title run the next year, so I won't go into that.

But also important is what a big bowl loss can do to you. Same example - look at what happened to Michigan on the flip side of that 2005 Rose Bowl. That really was a crushing loss, and they spent their entire offseason trying to figure out where this Vince Young guy came from and how he shredded their defense. That hangover carried over into the next season. An early loss to Notre Dame seemingly out of nowhere and the wheels were off - they closed it out 7-5 in the Alamo Bowl against Nebraska. And that was a squad with National Title talent - look at where those guys are this year.

Georgia after last year's Sugar Bowl?
FSU after last year's Orange Bowl?
Miami after whatever bowl it was where they got blown up last year?
And even OU after USC took them apart in the 2005 Orange Bowl...

The point being a rough loss in a bowl game can carry over into next year just as a big win can build momentum for the future.

...and i would agree with all of that. btw, it only strengthens my argument, although i do think there are a few more factors involved in those teams demise. nevertheless, point taken.

BeerIsGood!
12-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Is the winner of the Rose Bowl going to be National Champions? NO. I don't care who wins the Rose Bowl. You may care, but I don't. Just like you - always thinking that your point of view is all that matters. I learned many things in my graduate work at Dartmouth, but none of it had anything to do with football. Grow up son.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Just like you - always thinking that your point of view is all that matters. I learned many things in my graduate work at Dartmouth, but none of it had anything to do with football. Grow up son.

:lmao

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Is the winner of the Rose Bowl going to be National Champions? NO. I don't care who wins the Rose Bowl. You may care, but I don't. Just like you - always thinking that your point of view is all that matters. I learned many things in my graduate work at Dartmouth, but none of it had anything to do with football. Grow up son.

lets see...you've backed up your previous asinine statement with more drivel.

1. there are 119 div 1 teams, not everyone can play for the championship...in fact only 2 (usually) can. so every other team that makes a bowl, their bowl is irrelevant? riiiiiight... :rolleyes

2. i am beginning to wonder if you know anything about football, at all?

capt. mike,
...i don't know why your laughing, there was nothing remotely funny in that post and, in fact, he did nothing to make his statement look any less foolish. besides, you've got more than enough ridiculous posts to keep yourself completely occupied.

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
capt. mike,
...i don't know why your laughing, there was nothing remotely funny in that post and, in fact, he did nothing to make his statement look any less foolish. besides, you've got more than enough ridiculous posts to keep yourself completely occupied.

Yeah, nothing except him bitch slapping you for your insane logic. You asking HIM if he knows anything about football? Classic.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, nothing except him bitch slapping you for your insane logic. You asking HIM if he knows anything about football? Classic.

my logic insane? lol...the only thing insane about me (granted) is that i responded to your (this) post. btw, i love how you still have your shrine to me in your sig. after A&M beats Cal will you leave it up to show i was right?

MajorMike
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
my logic insane? lol...the only thing insane about me (granted) is that i responded to your (this) post. btw, i love how you still have your shrine to me in your sig. after A&M beats Cal will you leave it up to show i was right?

I don't believe atm will beat Cal. Regardless, the final poll normally does not move much, so unless atm gets 'whooped' by 30-40 they prolly stay in anyway. I'm just not afraid to see it thru, even if it means I'm wrong.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't believe atm will beat Cal. Regardless, the final poll normally does not move much, so unless atm gets 'whooped' by 30-40 they prolly stay in anyway. I'm just not afraid to see it thru, even if it means I'm wrong.

...que? i said they'd finish in the top 20, not the top 25. seeing as how we are 21 in both polls and Cal is 20 & 19 it would appear A&M would have to win for me to be right, would they not?

you can still be half right, but i do admire that you've left them on your sig.

tlongII
12-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll be watching the Sun Bowl. I'm disappointed that we're playing Missouri instead of West Virginia, but them's the breaks. Anybody catch the Beavs win over Hawaii? That was good CFB.

johngateswhiteley
12-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I'll be watching the Sun Bowl. I'm disappointed that we're playing Missouri instead of West Virginia, but them's the breaks. Anybody catch the Beavs win over Hawaii? That was good CFB.

great win over Hawaii, no doubt. congrats.

but....you're not playing for a national championship, so why does it matter that oregon state is even in a bowl game? why does it matter who they even play?

Marklar MM
12-04-2006, 11:45 AM

Michigan is more of a run based offensive team. The best back on the team, Mike Hart, was injured most of the season.

KB24
12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Fight On USC