PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake Tribune: Duncan, consistency keep Spurs at top

Kori Ellis
12-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Duncan, consistency keep Spurs at top
Businesslike approach sets the tone, having one of the league's top players helps, too
By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:12/03/2006 03:01:45 AM MST

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_4764673

Since winning the lottery and eagerly grabbing Tim Duncan with the first pick in the 1997 NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs have been the most successful team in American professional sports.

They have a better winning percentage than hockey's Detroit Red Wings, football's Denver Broncos or baseball's New York Yankees.

More importantly, the Spurs have won 105 more regular-season games than the L.A. Lakers - the NBA's second-most-successful franchise during those nine seasons - and they have captured three championships.

George Steinbrenner, eat your heart out.

"The Spurs represent good basketball and consistency," said Jazz veteran Derek Fisher. "A lot of teams measure themselves against the Spurs."

Utah has been one of San Antonio's favorite targets.

Since they eliminated the Spurs in the 1998 Western Conference semifinals - a feat helped by the fact that Duncan sprained his ankle early in the series and was never 100 percent - the Jazz are 3-22 against San Antonio.

That includes Utah's 83-75 win on Wednesday night.

"They are one of those teams with guys who thrive when people get down on them and [say] they can't do it," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "They pour it on you and teach you a lesson. . . . They come out and destroy your will to play."

Of course, getting Duncan has been the key to the Spurs' success, even in the early years, when he was the young sidekick to established All-Star David Robinson.

"They've got Duncan, who you would have to say is one of the greatest ever to play the game," Sloan said.

Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "We had the good fortune, in David and
Tim, of having one franchise player follow another franchise player. . . . We didn't have to go through the trough that some other teams have to go through" when a foundation player ages and retires.

According to general manager R.C. Buford, the blueprint for San Antonio's success is one Utah fans should recognize.

"We had the Jazz as a model," he said.

In becoming the NBA's most dominant team, the Spurs have collected talented players, demanded they work hard and insisted they conduct themselves as professionals.

"You have to admire what they've done," Sloan said, "because you never hear any nonsense coming from there."

On the business side, owner Peter Holt, Buford and Popovich have formed a working relationship that allows everybody to thrive.

"There are a lot of reasons" for the Spurs' success, Buford said. "But mostly our owner allowed the continuity that Larry [Miller] has afforded Jerry [Sloan]. . . . You don't establish what the Jazz established without continuity."

Said Popovich, who is in his 11th season as head coach, "We're fortunate. . . . The relationship between the owner and the GM and the coach has to be smooth, and we've had that. We all trust each other and, in the NBA, that's not always the case. But we've had that relationship for a long time now."

The formula for success is not lost on the players, including point guard Tony Parker, who has gone from a late first-round draft pick to the All-Star Game while maturing in San Antonio's system.

"It's a great organization. I feel blessed and privileged to be playing for the Spurs," he said. "It's like a little family, you know. It's not always exactly perfect. But this is my sixth year and I've never saw an argument on the floor. I've never seen teammates curse each other on the floor. It just doesn't happen."

From a distance, Fisher admires the way the Spurs go about their business.

"From what I've heard from some of their guys, it's a positive, nurturing environment," he said. "With Gregg's military background, there are going to be some rules in place. But their players, literally, feel like they're part of a family when they play for that team."

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2006, 03:57 AM
wtf so we have a 22-3 against the jazz? = pwnage

i like our celtics record though 19 - 0

ShoogarBear
12-04-2006, 06:22 AM
0.4*, bitches!

Phenomanul
12-04-2006, 09:10 AM
0.4*, bitches!

Oh no you didn't!!! :ihit :ihit

Shoog just ruined my morning...

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
How many different times have the Spurs courted Fisher or been involved in rumors about acquiring that dude?

If only they had managed to trade for him in February 2004.

:depressed

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2006, 11:17 AM
On a more serious note, the platitudes about the development of the Spurs organization and its successes on the floor are well-deserved (and the degree to which that success should be admired is frequently overlooked in today's NBA). But I think it starts and ends with David Robinson and Tim Duncan buying into Pop's ideas. It's wonderful to have 2 of the all-time great players come through your franchise. It certainly helps to win a lot of games. But if Dave and Tim hadn't bought into Popovich's ideas and his way of going about this business, I'm not sure the Spurs would have had the great continuity that has fueled their long-term success.

And it is long-term success. This made me wonder about some numbers that I hadn't looked at in a while. Numbers beyond the regular season wins and losses.

For instance, since the 1989-90 season, the Spurs have won at least 50 games (or the statistical equivalent) in 14 different seasons. But it's not as if they've limped to the line with wheezing their way to 50. They've won:

55 games 1 time,
56 games 2 times,
57 games 1 time,
58 games 2 times,
59 games 2 times,
and 60 or more games 4 different times.

So, of the 14 seasons with 50+ wins since the Robinson era began, 12 of thsoe have been seasons with at least 55 wins. (to put that into some perspective, the Chicago Bulls, in the entire history of the franchise, have won 50 games in a season on only 13 different occasions).

During that 17-season stretch, they've reached the playoffs 16 times, won at least one series in 12 different seasons, made 5 appearances in the conference finals, and, of course, have 3 successful appearances in the NBA Finals. So, they're 12-4 in First Round Series, 5-7 in Conference Semifinals, 3-2 in Conference Finals, and 3-0 in NBA Finals.

Since the Spring of 1990, the Spurs have won 23 of the 36 playoff series in which they've participated. They've won 23 of the 34 series in which Robinson and/or Duncan have participated.

And during that time, the Spurs have a .569 winning percentage and are 25 games over .500 . . . . . in playoff games.

I'm sure that there are only 2 or 3 franchises that have ever seen a run with that sort of success for a period stretching as long as 17 years. The relatively small number of titles might seem to torpedo the point, except for the fact that the Spurs are 4th in NBA history in titles won, behind only Boston, LA, and Chicago.

The success of this franchise isn't just imagined; it's not blown out of proportion by the media or by Spurs fans; it's quite real.

I wonder, though, how things will be once this ends (and it will end) and the Spurs are just battling to get

wildbill2u
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
It goes back beyond the 17 year period you studied.

The Spurs ethos and basic principles that the Spurs operate under, ie. choose players with good character, continuity, family atmosphere, get rid of disrupters, allow the coaches to coach without owner interference, etc., were the result of the influence of Bob Bass and Angelo Drossos in the Spurs' formative years.

I sometimes felt the Spurs FO was too prissy, but time has proven that a team without disruptive members is better in the long run.

bdictjames
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Duncan, D-Rob, and George

Thank You

ShoogarBear
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh no you didn't!!! :ihit :ihit

Shoog just ruined my morning...Derek Fisher could bring peace to the Middle East and find the cure for Cancer and he's still going to Hell for that.

ShoogarBear
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It goes back beyond the 17 year period you studied.

The Spurs ethos and basic principles that the Spurs operate under, ie. choose players with good character, continuity, family atmosphere, get rid of disrupters, allow the coaches to coach without owner interference, etc., were the result of the influence of Bob Bass and Angelo Drossos in the Spurs' formative years.

I sometimes felt the Spurs FO was too prissy, but time has proven that a team without disruptive members is better in the long run.I credit Drossos and Basss for their ability to run a good franchise on a shoestring budget. But the "character" of the Spurs during those years wasn't really any better (or worse) than the rest of the ABA/NBA:

Rich Jones, Strickland, Mad Max, Schintzius, Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Cadillac, Rodman. Even Ice had his problems. I do give almost all of the Spurs players credit throughout the years for being accessible to fans (especially Ice).

The foundation for the current level of professionalism starts with David Robinson.

G-Nob
12-04-2006, 01:48 PM
great. we've past the Lakers. Now play some defense.

LilMissSPURfect
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
This team called the SPURS yeah.....the IIIIIGHT!