PDA

View Full Version : Cards extend Carpenter through 2011, option for 2012

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Just heard on XM as I got off the truck.

MajorMike
12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — In search of a No. 2 starter, the Cardinals took care of their No. 1 Monday when they announced a three-year, $46 million extension with Chris Carpenter that will keep the 2005 Cy Young Award winner in St. Louis beyond the end of the decade.

The deal was announced at Major League Baseball's winter meetings as a five-year extension, but Carpenter's existing contract was in force for next season and contained a vesting option for 2008.

The agreement binds a team seeking to renovate its rotation with the workhorse who provided the core of its consistent starting corps in 2005 and support for its shaky 2006 group.

"It's a great feeling knowing that you have people believe in you that much to invest what they've invested in me to have me around," Carpenter said.

"It's something we felt was very important to do," said general manager Walt Jocketty, who finalized a previous extension with Carpenter in April 2004. "It's something we've wanted to do for some time."

Carpenter's five guaranteed seasons represent an exception to the Cardinals' preference not to guarantee more than three seasons to starting pitchers. The team's desire for a deal was evidenced by the fact it took only 72 hours to complete. The Cardinals, not Carpenter, made the initial inquiry about the extension.

A 49-50 pitcher in six seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays, Carpenter is 51-18 with a 3.10 ERA in 93 regular season starts for the Cardinals. He has pitched 263 1/3 innings the past two seasons, not including an All-Star Game start and eight more in the postseason.

"I'm going to continue to do what I've done in the past, and that's prepare myself to do the best I can to help my team win," Carpenter said. "They gave me the opportunity to come back (with the first extension) and even though it was a few years, it gave me the comfort. It allows you to relax, concentrate and do what you need to do, and that's pitch.

"It was very easy. I knew I wanted to be here and I wasn't going to make it a huge situation. Either they wanted me to be here or they didn't want me to be here. And obviously they do. They made that commitment to me and I appreciate it very much."

The deal was predicated on the Cardinals guaranteeing all appearance incentives the next two seasons. Carpenter, only 62 innings shy of his option vesting for 2008 before the deal, will now earn $8.5 million next season and $10.5 million in 2008. The club did not provide a breakdown of the extension or the buyout. However, if exercised, the option year (2012) makes the additional four years worth approximately $58 million.

The deal is the richest ever given by the Cardinals to a pitcher and, according to Jocketty, will remain so even within this winter's overheated market.

"We've got a lot of different ways we can go with our pitching," said Jocketty, who acquired free agent Kip Wells for a one-year, $4 million contract last week. "Ideally, we'd like to acquire two more starting pitchers."

Carpenter expressed confidence that the voids would be filled.

"They've always done a good job filling holes and spending money where they need to spend it," Carpenter said. "I'm not concerned about it. Getting Kip Wells is a first step. That was a nice first step."

Carpenter dwelled more on the stability the extension provided rather than its size.

Jocketty denied the extension suggested another high-dollar signing was imminent. But Jocketty insisted that the club would not sign any pitcher to a deal that would offer a higher average annual value the next three seasons.

General talks between Jocketty and Carpenter's agent, Bob LaMonte, took place during the season but became substantive last Wednesday. The deal came together on Saturday.

Said Carpenter: "It was like one call, a call back, and then a call back and it was done."

The Cardinals have made a five-year commitment at a time when they have shown reluctance to offer more than three to any free agent starting pitcher, including October's NLCS most valuable player, Jeff Suppan. The Cardinals offered three-year deals to three free agent pitchers: Jason Schmidt, Miguel Batista and Vicente Padilla.

"I think it depends on the individual whether it's a one-, two- or three-year deal," Jocketty said. "I don't think we'd go much beyond that."

Jocketty insisted the club did not plan to go beyond a fourth year to any starter other than Carpenter "at this time."

On Monday, Padilla reached a preliminary agreement for three years and $33 million to return to the Texas Rangers The includes an option for a fourth and is contingent on a physical examination. Batista is believed to be demanding a deal similar to Padilla's.

"We've got offers out. I don't know whether they will be acceptable or not," said Jocketty.

Jocketty did not offer details of any bid, but it is believed the Cardinals offered Schmidt more than $10 million a year.

While reiterating that starting pitching is their priority, the Cardinals have also spoken to agents for reliever Octavio Dotel, whom they pursued last winter. Dotel had elbow surgery last season but has reportedly rehabilitated. His preference to work as a closer rather than as a set-up man may complicate the Cardinals' pursuit.

leemajors
12-05-2006, 09:59 AM
dotel is TERRIBLE as a closer, but he was great setting up wags in houston.

FromWayDowntown
12-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Given what some middle-of-the-road starters are getting in this market, and what Zito and Schmidt are likely to command on the high end, the Carpenter re-up is an awfully sweet deal for the Cardinals. He gave them a pretty nice home-town discount.

Good move by the Cards, as usual.

MajorMike
12-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I have heard rumor that the Cards offered Schmidt a 3/33, and did so WITH Carps approval, because over the 3 years it would average less than Carp (approx 8.5/9.5/15.5).

Burn531
12-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Just heard on XM as I got off the truck.

?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-06-2006, 01:49 AM
?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Other/371383_ford.JPG

T Park
12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
great move to resign Carp, will still be at Cy Young level, health permitting, for another 5 years.

I don't know why everyone is reporting Schmidt signed, the Cardinals reportedly have a meeting tommarow with him where they are gonna offer 3 years 45 mill.

MajorMike
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Jocketty said Monday that the Cardinals would not offer any pitcher a contract with a higher average annual value than the $44.5 million extension given Carpenter.

T Park
12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
making that silly move lost them out on Jason Schmidt.

Better pray Weaver and Suppan resign, or its gonna be Braden Looper in the rotation next year :pctoss