PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Barry haters? (II)

smeagol
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Is Brent on fire or what?

How long can he keep this shit up?

Oh and that Manu steal, behing the back, alley-oop which Brent laid up was sweet, sweet b-ball :smokin

Bo Malette
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
it is as if it never existed

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
it is as if it never existed

It's as if it's in the Club.

GrandeDavid
12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't think I've ever "hated" Barry. In fact, I've always enjoyed his quotes and have always found him to be great with fans and in the community. I've always liked his game, too. I've just never had really high expectations for him, even when he came here a few seasons ago.

GrandeDavid
12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
But I do hear what you're saying. I've also heard countless rips on him, especially during his maiden voyage through Spursdom.

slayermin
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Barry said it himself. He wanted to "Steve Kerr" his way to a couple of championships.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Brent Barry is shooting 50.7%+ this season from beyond the arc=10th in the league the highest among the top 10 with 34-3pts total since the start of the season.

you think Brent has got what it takes to beat Dirk(who's going to defend his title), in the 3pt-shoot out in the 2007 All-Star game? I like to think there's one Spur or maybe the only one in the league who won an All-Star Dunk contest once then, wins again in the 3pt-shoot out.

slayermin
12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Brent Barry is shooting 50.7%+ this season from beyond the arc=10th in the league the highest among the top 10 with 34-3pts total since the start of the season.

you think Brent has got what it takes to beat Dirk(who's going to defend his title), in the 3pt-shoot out in the 2007 All-Star game? I like to think there's one Spur or maybe the only one in the league who won an All-Star Dunk contest once then, wins again in the 3pt-shoot out.

Brent being a set shooter might give him a slight advantage because he doesn't have to worry about fatigue during the 3pt shoot out. But what slight advantage he might have as a set shooter, he loses being a spot up shooter. He's not really a shoot off the dribble guy like Nowitzki or Stojakovic. The format of the three point shoot out is perfect for guys that shoot off the dribble.

whottt
12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Barry was in the 3 point contest a few years ago...I think it was Ray Allen or Peja that beat him. He was tearing it up and then choked...

It was funny when he made it to the second round though...because he started out real strong then went cooooooooooold, then needed to make like one more shot to advance and he made it on the last shot.

What made it so funny was his celebration, he thought he was the baddest dude ont he planet. He made a funny whooping noise and started jumping up and down.

I would like to see him in the contest again though...he easily has the shot to pull it off.

But Barry IMO is not a very good stationary 3 shooter...at least he's not as good as you'd think he would be.

He's best at pull up threes on the break or off a last second pass in a half court.

I think that's a big reason why he struggled at first with his shot. He wasn't used to just standing around waiting to shoot via methodical inside out offense running through a dominant big. That's why he still plays his best basketball individually when he's on the floor with Manu and Tony who are very similar. Running and guard generated offense. The big adjustment he has made this season is that he has finally learned to consistently hit shoots of Duncan double teams...on the rare chance that he is the one they double off of(and it's still extremely rare that he is the one)

But anyway...if he goes into the 3 contest and wins, he will be the only man in NBA history to have won both the 3 and dunk contest I believe. It'd be cool to see Brent pull that off.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2006, 08:50 PM
2006 Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas*
2005 Quentin Richardson, Phoenix
2004 Voshon Lenard, Denver
2003 Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
2002 Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento
2001 Ray Allen, Milwaukee
2000 Jeff Hornacek, Utah
1999 No Competion - Lockout
1998 Jeff Hornacek, Utah
1997 Steve Kerr, Chicago
1996 Tim Legler, Washington
1995 Glen Rice, Miami
1994 Mark Price, Cleveland
1993 Mark Price, Cleveland
1992 Craig Hodges, Chicago
1991 Craig Hodges, Chicago
1990 Craig Hodges, Chicago
1989 Dale Ellis, Seattle
1988 Larry Bird, Boston
1987 Larry Bird, Boston
1986 Larry Bird, Boston
1984 Larry Nance
1985 Dominique Wilkins
1986 Anthony "Spud" Webb
1987 Michael Jordan
1988 Michael Jordan
1989 Kenny Walker
1990 Dominique WIlkins
1991 Dee Brown
1992 Cedric Ceballos
1993 Harold Miner
1994 Isaiah Rider
1995 Harold Miner
1996 Brent Barry
1997 Kobe Bryant
1998 No Competition
1999 No competition - lockout
2000 Vince Carter
2001 Desmond Mason
2002 Jason Richardson
2003 Jason Richardson
2004 Fred Jones
2005 Josh SmithThe only ones on the Slam Dunk list who could possibly be considered for invitation to the three-point competition other than Barry would be Kobe, J-Rich, and Vince.

whottt
12-05-2006, 09:03 PM
The only ones on the Slam Dunk list who could possibly be considered for invitation to the three-point competition other than Barry would be Kobe, J-Rich, and Vince.

Kobe and JRich haven't got a chance in hell of pulling it off...the only thing they are likely to do is tie Jordan's record for the worst performance and point total in the history of the 3pt contest.

Vince actually could pull it off IMO...he's an under-rated 3 shooter.

I also think at one point Allen could have challenged to win the dunk contest.

There is a short list of guys who had the skill set to win both in NBA history, there is a short list of guys who have even been invited to be in both...Brent is one of them.

Kenny Smith is another...Kenny is actually the only guy to be in both contests in the same all star weekend. He didn't win either...but it's impressive as hell that he had the skill set to be in both...because as we all know, he's not as good of a player as AJ was.

boutons_
12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
"Vince actually could pull it off IMO...he's an under-rated 3 shooter."

38% career, 34% this season, 142nd in NBA.

Whott overrates VC.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Kobe and JRich haven't got a chance in hell of pulling it off.Quentin Richardson.

Q.E.D.

Next time, at least make it a challenge.

whottt
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Q-Rich's 3efficiency with the Clips made him look like Craig Hodges compared to Kobe and JRich.

Kobe has no chance of doing it....Kobe had a couple of sub 30% seasons playing with Shaq...get serious.

Maybe J Rich...but he's not as good of a 3 shooter as Q Rich was.

I looked at your list again...Vince is the only one that could do it.

QRich has a better chance of winning the dunk contest than Kobe does of winning the 3 contest....it's not that easy, just ask Jordan.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 09:30 PM
But anyway...if he goes into the 3 contest and wins, he will be the only man in NBA history to have won both the 3 and dunk contest I believe. It'd be cool to see Brent pull that off.

i was right then.

The only ones on the Slam Dunk list who could possibly be considered for invitation to the three-point competition other than Barry would be Kobe, J-Rich, and Vince.
the big question is...will Brent gets an invite? Bruce Bowen wanted to go and has the credentials to back him up being one of the top 3pt shooters in the past 3 yrs but snobbed from participating 2 yrs in a row.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Q-Rich's 3efficiency with the Clips made him look like Craig Hodges compared to Kobe and JRich. Come again? Did you think I didn't already check these numbers?

Q-Rich lifetime 3P% 35.5%
best seasonal 3P% 38.1% (not counting this year)

J-Rich lifetime 3P% 34.7%
best 3P% 38.4%

And the year Q-Rich won, he shouldn't even have been invited, because Damon Jones, who was leading the league in 3P%, wasn't. And just for completeness, he won the year he was with the Suns. I don't recall if he was ever invited as a Clip.

Kobe has no chance of doing it....Kobe had a couple of sub 30% seasons playing with Shaq...get serious.

Maybe J Rich...but he's not as good of a 3 shooter as Q Rich was.

I looked at your list again...Vince is the only one that could do it.

QRich has a better chance of winning the dunk contest than Kobe does of winning the 3 contest....it's not that easy, just ask Jordan.RIF.

You think it's beyond Kobe's abilities to get his 3-point shooting up to the level where he was a candidate for the contest?

Now, hush.

exstatic
12-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Barry stopped playing like a frightened pussy. That's where all the Barry "haters" are.

smeagol
12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Barry stopped playing like a frightened pussy. That's where all the Barry "haters" are.
Ahhh . . . extatic pulling a chumpdumper.

By the way, nice to have you back.

ChumpDumper
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
It's the truth. I don't see why you can't understand or accept that I have been satisfied with Barry's play since last year's trading deadline. I have said so many times. I will not retroactively suck his dick for the preceeding 1.5 seasons of subpar play, and don't understand why I am being repeatedly asked to do so by those who are now so excited about his improved play this season that they have to make a thread about it after every good game.

Beaverfuzz
12-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Brent's having fun, which is the fire that fuels many a player. Winning is definitely better than losing. Brent's a good guy, most Spur fans know this through this quotes and community service efforts.

The Truth #6
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
He seems to be playing slower and more in control. I don't know what happened but something clicked. Maybe he just didn't want to get traded. This year the Spurs aren't near as fun to watch unless he's on the court. Especially, with Manu and Beno. Great team basketball. But yes he did suck hard when he first got here and there's no way around that.

exstatic
12-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Ahhh . . . extatic pulling a chumpdumper.

By the way, nice to have you back.
1) I've never hated Brent Barry. He's funny and a great interview.
2) I REALLY hated the way he played for 1.5 seasons. He sucked ass, hard.
3) I don't hate the way he's played since his near trade experience. I'm rather enjoying it, and wonder why it took so fucking long.

If that means that I'm "pulling a chumpdumper", then I am.

T Park
12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
1) I've never hated Brent Barry. He's funny and a great interview.
2) I REALLY hated the way he played for 1.5 seasons. He sucked ass, hard.
3) I don't hate the way he's played since his near trade experience. I'm rather enjoying it, and wonder why it took so fucking long.

If that means that I'm "pulling a chumpdumper", then I am.

I'm pretty much in the same camp.

whottt
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Anyone seen Devin Brown lately? Exs? Chump?

PWNTx1000

whottt
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh wait...I found this on the Pop show:

We will not be bringing Devin Brown back to the Spurs - Gregg Popovich.

T Park
12-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Whats this got to do with him

Fabbs
12-07-2006, 12:45 AM
I really hated the way Barry played for the 2005 Playoffs resulting in a Championship. I wish we would have had Findawg instead.

T Park
12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I really hated the way Barry played for the 2005 Playoffs resulting in a Championship. I wish we would have had Findawg instead

Good thing winning the ring didn't rely all on him too.

He literally didn't show up for the series vs Denver or Seattle.

Phoenix he shows up for a couple games, Detroit he plays decent in a couple blowouts, and makes 1 shot in game 7, and is hailed as a stud.

Finley last year damn near wins game 4 by himself, and helps win 6, but is see as a choker.

Go fig.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah, excuse me for not acknowledging that Barry played better against Detroit in 05 than Beno Udrih.

Keep reaching for the stars!

And it's very nice of hootie to celebrate a debilitating back injury to Brown. Stay classy, sassy.

Please_dont_ban_me
12-07-2006, 04:01 AM
Where them hata's at, where them hata's at. Pop that trunk.

exstatic
12-07-2006, 08:51 AM
What's Devin got to do with anything? If you really want to come at me, bring JR Smith. Oh wait, you can't....PWND

P.S. I thought I was on your ignore list, whottty....no peeking!

Fabbs
12-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, excuse me for not acknowledging that Barry played better against Detroit in 05 than Beno Udrih.

Keep reaching for the stars!

Exactly. And everyone knows with a whole 5 players on the court for any one team at any time, we thus could easily "hide" Barry. Since he played only 26 minutes per game that Playoffs, you know over half the game, the Spurs hid him. He did nothing.

What, a scrub coach like Larry Brown is going to expose one of five players on the court over a 7 game series? Please.

You need to correct this. No way Barry was better then Beno.