PDA

View Full Version : Why are Suns so underrated?

The_Game
12-05-2006, 12:23 AM
They are on the level of the spurs and mavs but no one is giving them a shot to go all the way

they took the mavs to 6 games last year without amare and Kurt Thomas plus had Bell miss some games in that series. Now they have everyone back yet people still think they aren't as good as Dallas?

don't understand It. Their defence has improved as the season has gone on as well.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't think they are underrated. I think until they prove they can rebound at a high level of success on the defensive boards, consistantly challenge and contest shots in the lane and routinely get into the lane themselves, that they are exactly where they should be.

I think they can do all this, but much depends on how 'Antoni chooses to matchup against the elite level teams. If he chooses to go small, they likely get into the lane at a better clip on offense and shyould win a few games and may compete in others, but chances are better they lose a 7-game series rather than win. If he goes bigger, they probably defend and rebound better, but with defenses packed in, settle for jumpers on offense.

Until a happy and successful medium is found, they will always be a team that could beat the Spurs or Mavs, but rarely, if ever, do.

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2006, 12:42 AM
overrated to the max, and yes there is no sugar

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 12:48 AM
overrated to the max, and yes there is no sugar

With you, everything is hyperbole.

They are heardly overrated, but they shouldn't be, as of now, rated any higher than 3rd in the West. This until the consistantly challenge, then beat teams like San Antonio, Dallas and Utah. Bigger teams that they'll have to go to ward against in the paint. Until they prove they can hold their ground, they can't prove they should be rated any higher.

Not going to say it's not your right as a fan, but with you, it's San Antonio or nothing at all. That's great, but if that's all you have, then don't expect your posts to hold much weight.

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2006, 01:15 AM
spurs fear nobody, only b2bs :(

SirChaz
12-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Who is underrating the Suns?

It really doesn't matter who rates what in Nov/Dec.

Suns got off to a slow start but they are starting to figure it out. Nobody, even the Suns, know how good they will be come May and until they win the title they will have to prove themselves every day.

Axl Van Dam
12-05-2006, 01:21 AM
:wakeup Because they can't play defense even if their lives depended on it. :wakeup

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 01:23 AM
spurs fear nobody, only b2bs :(

Not saying you should. You're a great team who should win it all every year in my opinion. This isn't really possible, but I think that highly of your team and their chances.

Still, you as a post always have the Spurs way up here...

and then every other team/player...

\/

\/

\/ Keep going!

\/

Way down here.

That simply is not the case. There are teams capable of beating the Spurs and teams, that if they pull their head out their own ass or gain some experience, could in the near future.

You simply never give other very good teams/players credit for being such, thus when you say something with regards to the like, I know I always take it as just another homer post, simply because of you rep.

BTW, you b2b comment was freakin' hilarious! :lol

johngateswhiteley
12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
They are on the level of the spurs and mavs but no one is giving them a shot to go all the way

they took the mavs to 6 games last year without amare and Kurt Thomas plus had Bell miss some games in that series. Now they have everyone back yet people still think they aren't as good as Dallas?

don't understand It. Their defence has improved as the season has gone on as well.

backwards my friend. the correct question is, why are they so overrated?

THE SIXTH MAN
12-05-2006, 01:50 AM
I guess spelling is overrated to you.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 01:52 AM
backwards my friend. the correct question is, why are they so overrated?

Must be their proximity to the University of Southern California :dramaquee

Show me where this current team is rated higher than third-best in the West. You do that and I'll aknowledge them to be slightly overrated. Until then, they can't be overrated when they are rated exactly where their standings and potential speaks to.

Hell, they aren't even being bantered about as a likely for the Title right now. That could change, but I think most media types acknowledge they'll have to up their defense and rebounding and until then, then are just a great offensive team capable of winning any given night, but not any given series.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Being overrated means saying they are at the level of San Antonio and Dallas. They don't rebound or defend well enough to beat either Dallas and San Antonio in this years playoffs.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Being overrated means saying they are at the level of San Antonio and Dallas. They don't rebound or defend well enough to beat either Dallas and San Antonio in this years playoffs.

Fine. Show me where someone says they will beat the Spurs or Mavericks, not just says they can if they improve their defense and rebounding.

People throw words and phrases around without ever giving an informed though to how it really is or what it really implies.

Suns are not overrated. They are currently rated as third or fourth best in the West, or essentually what they've proven the last few years.

The very high they possibly could be rated is 2nd, behind just the Spurs. Even that can be supported as the Mavs last season never beat the Suns with a healthy and incorperated Amare. The early season matchup this year doesn't mean near as much as the late season meeting will. If Mavs take them, then I'll give that the Mavs are better. Until then, I see San Antonio atop with Dallas and a close-behind Phoenix team challenging if certain thinsg improve/break right.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Dallas beat San Antonio last year and are much younger than San Antonio. Amare isn't going to be 100% and you assuming he will is wrong. Nash is getting older as well and it will effect the whole team since Nash is the catalyst. He would have to play MVP level to beat the mavs like he did 2 years ago. I doubt he does that again. Last years playoffs is probably what we will see out of Nash.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Dallas beat San Antonio last year and are much younger than San Antonio. Amare isn't going to be 100% and you assuming he will is wrong. Nash is getting older as well and it will effect the whole team since Nash is the catalyst. He would have to play MVP level to beat the mavs like he did 2 years ago. I doubt he does that again. Last years playoffs is probably what we will see out of Nash.

:spin

Truly you have a dizzying intellect!!!

Too many assupmtion within the text for me to pretend it's any more than whim at this point in the season. Like I said, almost as much broke the Mavs way last year in the playoffs as what went against the teams they played.

I have as much right to say this Phoenix team isn't the team you beat in the playoffs last year as you have to say the Mavs will catch all the same breaks again.

The way I see it, there's one GREAT team and that's San Antonio. They are followed, in order, by some very good teams in Dallas, Phoenix, Utah and some good teams that could/should be better in the Nuggets, Rockets and the Clippers.

You choose to dispute, then fine, but you're running around in circles with me. I acknowledged the Suns flaws in my first post in this thread. I'm not debating their stature among the elite. They are, likely, 3rd at best right now and unless some big changes are made to defense and rebounding, they will likely stay that way, if not regress.

What I'm saying beyond this is that nowhere are they rated higher than third best in the Conference, and with recent history explaining they are roughly that quality a team, that hence they are rated exactly where they should be and therefore are not overrated at all.

Got it? No... GOOD LORD! :bang

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 03:03 AM
What I don't get is you are saying San Antonio is clearly the best team. If that was the case than San Antonio would've beaten Dallas last year. Also Dallas got deeper this off season. Devin Harris is taking his game to the next level and will be instrumental on defending Nash. Something Terry couldn't do. Glad you are saying Phoenix is 3rd best but comparing the Dallas of now to 2 seasons ago there is a big difference.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 03:20 AM
'kay...

I like ya as a post, but you're literally doing the same thing for which you errantly accuse me of. You say this Mavs team isn't the team from two year's back while saying that this Suns team won't be any better than last year's despite getting Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell back from minor injuries and Amare back from a huge one.

BTW, your assurtion that Amare isn't coming 100% back is only partially true. He'll never be the athlete, but, he's far more versed in fundamentals now than he was prior. He actually boxes out for rebounds and bodies up on defense.

By season's end, this Amare could have as big an impact on the game as the old did, just in a different way.

Also, you're implying that since your Mavs beat last year's Spurs, that they will beat, or at least compete equally, with this year's Spurs.

So, twice now you made assumptions about this year's NBA based on past year's teams when both teams with which assumptions were made are VERY, VERY different than last year's, each with a VERY, VERY high ceiling if certain goals are met/learned. All thw while, your Mavs are very much the same. Perhaps a little deeper, but I just don't see the margin of improvement the way I see San Antonio or Phoenix. You are what you are. Now, before 15-game assumptions are made, let's wait and see what San Antonio and Phoenix develop into before we start errantly proclaiming they are overrated.

Lots of basketball left to be played... and learned. Remember, last year's Suns started off slowly before making the Conference Finals without their starting frontcourt. Right now means little compared to around the All-Star break.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 03:29 AM
But hey, you could be right, I could be wrong. So, until either is proven such...

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 03:30 AM
You lost Tim Thomas though which really spread the court out well and forced Diop to guard a quicker player in Diaw or go outside for the 3's. That was the biggest matchup nightmare for Dallas last year. Of Amare is better but Dallas's bigs can stay in the paint instead of having to go outside for a Tim Thomas 3. Yeah I assume a lot but I go with what makes the most sense. Diop will also be of help against Amare. Than comes Mbenga. Should be a great series if Amare makes it without any setbacks.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Diop will be in foul trouble within five minutes of trying to guard Amare. Amare is still a top level athlete. Just no longer arguably the best ever to play that position. He can still run circles and jump past the vast majority of defenders in this league. Not to the tune of 30 per, but easily 20+. Throw in his improved boards and willingness to body up on defense and he'll have much more of an impact than you give him credit for.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 03:39 AM
I think Diop has the speed needed to give Amare problems and he's not expected to play a lot of minutes. Probably 20 minutes so he's got 6 fouls since Dampier is the starter. Dallas even has a 3rd guy called Mbenga so Amare's not going to have any easy baskets or not often.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Maybe not against the greatest competition, but against Yao and Randolph (among others, including a Diop-type of athlete in Gadzuric) within the last four games, Amare has averaged 22.3 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 1.5 spg on over 60% shooting while getting to the line 8-times per night and making them at a over 75% clip.

I'll take that for the remainder of his career... and that's before regaining his jumper and touch around the basket.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 03:44 AM
Yeah Yao and Randolph are offensive minded players. Amare scoring big against more defensive minded centers would impress me. Also Phoenix's scoring but it all comes down to defense and it is worthless scoring on one side just to give back up. Dallas should dominate the boards since they are one of the best at it.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Yao's a tough matchup for anyone defensively. Again, you're passing off Dallas or its players as better than they really are. Diop better than Yao defensively? I'm not buying that. Diop is tough because he's got length and athleticism. Basically the same thing Gadzuric has. In fact, Gadz is a much better overall athlete, he just lacks some of the girth of Diop. Still, Amare dominated him.

Look. Dallas is very and could be there at the end of the season. Same as San Antonio. Same as Phoenix. Hell, same as maybe even Utah or the like...

Roughly 65 games yet to play to decide which team improves enough to come out of the west. I believe Dallas is as good as it ever will be, despite youth like Harris and Howard. I believe Josh has hit his ceiling and that Harris is unlikely to hit his until Terry and Johnson are gone or played much, much less. If Johnson is played much less this year, then your team loses invaluable defense and savvy.

Meanwhile, Phoenix has a twice Conference Championship-calibur team that's just getting used to each other. Give 'em some time. For me, if they can improve just their rebounding, they'll compete night in, night out with the likes of Dallas and maybe even San Antonio.

I still think San Antonio is the team to beat, because they are already arguably the best team in the NBA and haven't even figured out their rotation and their big men's roles. Once they do, their defense should be stifling and their rebounding tops in the League.

RonMexico
12-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Yao's a tough matchup for anyone defensively. Again, you're passing off Dallas or its players as better than they really are. Diop better than Yao defensively? I'm not buying that. Diop is tough because he's got length and athleticism. Basically the same thing Gadzuric has. In fact, Gadz is a much better overall athlete, he just lacks some of the girth of Diop. Still, Amare dominated him.

Look. Dallas is very and could be there at the end of the season. Same as San Antonio. Same as Phoenix. Hell, same as maybe even Utah or the like...

Roughly 65 games yet to play to decide which team improves enough to come out of the west. I believe Dallas is as good as it ever will be, despite youth like Harris and Howard. I believe Josh has hit his ceiling and that Harris is unlikely to hit his until Terry and Johnson are gone or played much, much less. If Johnson is played much less this year, then your team loses invaluable defense and savvy.

Meanwhile, Phoenix has a twice Conference Championship-calibur team that's just getting used to each other. Give 'em some time. For me, if they can improve just their rebounding, they'll compete night in, night out with the likes of Dallas and maybe even San Antonio.

I still think San Antonio is the team to beat, because they are already arguably the best team in the NBA and haven't even figured out their rotation and their big men's roles. Once they do, their defense should be stifling and their rebounding tops in the League.

JMark, thanks for having the patience and energy to put up with these short-sighted, blind Mavs fans who overrate their team based on a 12-game winning streak. Not only did every break go Dallas' way in terms of injury last year, but they got received the benefit of generous officiating on moving screens and Dirk/Harris flopping (the same type of treatment they screamed bloody murder about when D-Wade started getting it).

I just don't know if I have it left in me to prove to somebody that 20-10 for this new, more grounded Amare is even more dangerous than the Amare of the past because he can pass, can avoid costly fouls and offensive rebounds by actually boxing out, and the more Diaw thins up and gets back in the flow of things, the more dangerous they become as a two-some. Dampier won't guard just Amare when Kurt Thomas is in, just like Amare can take Diop out of the lane if he starts knocking down the midrange jumper... does that mean Dampier will be able to keep up with Diaw? Mbenga is not a threat and never has been - he's big, but he's basically a more fit Pat Burke with little basketball knowledge and skill to his credit.

mavsfan1000
12-05-2006, 05:14 AM
To ask you a question Jmarkjohn's. How is San Antonio better this year than last year? As for what you said in your post I disagree with that Howard has hit his ceiling. I think this year is his prime year. Last year was close but he can still get a little better. Harris is developing quick. Especially now that he is starting. Anthony Johnson allows Dallas to have a real point guard for 48 minutes and Terry gets to play the 2.

dirk4mvp
12-05-2006, 07:08 AM
:wakeup Because they can't play defense even if their lives depended on it. :wakeup

The_Game
12-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I guess spelling is overrated to you.

Moron

Thats how you spell It from where I'm from. there's no wrong way of saying It.

AFBlue
12-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Not underrated.

Amare has to prove that he can be a consistent force, and they have to learn to make adjustments as a team to his game. He's doing a very good job thus far and the team's adjustments aren't far behind. Most say they're on par with the Spurs and Mavs...I'm inclined to agree.

We'll flesh out who is truly better in the playoffs...

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
seriously they love the hype, the media attention, fuck smallball

tim duncan on 2 bumb ankles > any suns player

Supergirl
12-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Far from underrated, before the season most sports writers have basically said that IF Amare came back 100% the Suns would be the team to beat, but that at the beginning of the season that was a big IF. I agreed with them.

Now I'm not so sure. I think Amare will come back pretty strong, but the keys will Nash's durability, and how good their bench really is. Diaw had an amazing season last year, but he's been only so-so this year. Barbosa shows flashes of brilliance, but will he keep it up all year. Will Kurt Thomas be as healthy by playoffs? Also, some of their offseason signings (James Jones, Jumaine Jones) haven't paid off too well yet. So we'll see. On paper, with a healthy Amare, they look like they should be tops.

For underrated, I'd have to go with the Lakers, actually. I didn't think Kobe would learn to trust his teammates, or that his teammates could be this good.

SirChaz
12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Far from underrated, before the season most sports writers have basically said that IF Amare came back 100% the Suns would be the team to beat, but that at the beginning of the season that was a big IF. I agreed with them.

Now I'm not so sure. I think Amare will come back pretty strong, but the keys will Nash's durability, and how good their bench really is. Diaw had an amazing season last year, but he's been only so-so this year. Barbosa shows flashes of brilliance, but will he keep it up all year. Will Kurt Thomas be as healthy by playoffs? Also, some of their offseason signings (James Jones, Jumaine Jones) haven't paid off too well yet. So we'll see. On paper, with a healthy Amare, they look like they should be tops.

For underrated, I'd have to go with the Lakers, actually. I didn't think Kobe would learn to trust his teammates, or that his teammates could be this good.

James Jones aquired before last season and has done a good job defensively in spot duty.

Jumaine Jones hasn't played except in one game. Banks is still learning how to play with the Suns and Jalen Rose is still not in the mix.

The Suns have depth but a lot of questions still.

Like last year this is almost a completely new team.

boutons_
12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I agree that the Lakers are probably underrated.

They've lost 5, like SA, and are undefeated in their division.

Lakers are only 2-3 on the road, have split with Utah, and lost to Pistons.

Not wonderful, but certainly in the playoffs and a good chance to take their division vs LAC and PHX.

I'd be surprised if the Spurs sweep the Lakers this season.

PHX is soft because they only play on one end, 1980s style.

RonMexico
12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm not going to say the Suns are a great defensive team by any stretch, but most of you obviously haven't watched any of the games during this recent winning streak and are basing all of your "no defense at all" comments on the past 2 seasons. With a healthy and in-shape Kurt Thomas in the middle, the Suns have played much better defense after their 1-5 start and that's why they've started winning.

They still can't rebound incredibly well, and give up too many second chance opportunities, but that's going to happen because they want to run off a missed shot and sometimes a few of them take off too early. And it's not that they are getting great defensive numbers (i.e. lots of steals and blocks - even though Amare had 7 against Philly), but that they are simply more active defensively - shutting down the easy drive, getting in the passing lanes, double-teaming with vigor that is forcing teams into bad passes and bad shots.

They're still going to give up a lot of points because they have defensive lapses in the middle of games (generally the 3rd quarter) and their style of play allows more possesions and shots for both teams. However, as long as they're scoring more than the other team and getting defensive stops when they need them, then I like the team's chances in the playoffs. D'Antoni has finally started admitting that they can't just outscore everybody all the time and win... however, if you look at other teams throughout history who have tried this style of play, only one other has been consistently successful like the Suns: the Lakers of the 80s.

mabber
12-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't think they are underrated. I think until they prove they can rebound at a high level of success on the defensive boards, consistantly challenge and contest shots in the lane and routinely get into the lane themselves, that they are exactly where they should be.

I think they can do all this, but much depends on how 'Antoni chooses to matchup against the elite level teams. If he chooses to go small, they likely get into the lane at a better clip on offense and shyould win a few games and may compete in others, but chances are better they lose a 7-game series rather than win. If he goes bigger, they probably defend and rebound better, but with defenses packed in, settle for jumpers on offense.

Until a happy and successful medium is found, they will always be a team that could beat the Spurs or Mavs, but rarely, if ever, do.

I agree with this assessment. Very well analyzed in my opinion.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
You're asking this question on a board populated with people who used to wonder the exact same thing about the Spurs. Despite routinely making solid runs into the playoffs the Spurs were often overlooked until they won the championship. Same deal with the Mavs until they overcame the Spurs and made the finals. You want to be mentioned in the same sentence as the best in the west you have to beat them in the playoffs first. The Suns could be head and shoulders above every other team in the league right now and sports talking heads would still be saying, "They're playing great now, BUT..."

Doug Collins
12-06-2006, 12:07 AM
7-game winning streak

Xylus
12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Nash with 20 assists.

Pat Burke with three 3-pointers in 3 minutes!

RonMexico
12-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Thank God we haven't resorted to Mavs fan-style postings and started a thread entitled "how long will the streak last?" Just enjoying nice offensive showcases and another game where the Suns outrebounded the opponent.

da_suns_fan__
12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with this assessment. Very well analyzed in my opinion.

The Suns have had very little success the past couple of years against the Spurs, but they've had LOTS of wins against the Mavs. They beat the Mavs in the playoffs two years ago (WITHOUT Joe Johnson), split the season series last year, and probably would have beat them in last years playoffs if Raja Bell hadn't gone down (Mavs wouldn't have stood a chance if Amare was around).

The Suns score at will against the Mavs. They literally get ANY shot they want. The Spurs are a different story.

Sportcamper
12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
The Suns are turning heads this season...I don’t think anyone expected them to have a better record than the Junior Varsity team form Los Angeles, in December... (The Clippers)... Lets see how long they can hang in there before they start slipping, whining & make their usual excuses... :dramaquee

LA Lakers
12 5 .706 --
Phoenix
10 6 .625 1.5
LA Clippers
9 8 .529 3.0

bdictjames
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
They're good, but they haven't really been successful in the playoffs. Unless they reach the Finals, teams are starting to take them seriously

JMarkJohns
12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
The Suns have had very little success the past couple of years against the Spurs, but they've had LOTS of wins against the Mavs. They beat the Mavs in the playoffs two years ago (WITHOUT Joe Johnson), split the season series last year, and probably would have beat them in last years playoffs if Raja Bell hadn't gone down (Mavs wouldn't have stood a chance if Amare was around).

The Suns score at will against the Mavs. They literally get ANY shot they want. The Spurs are a different story.

Suns are 4-7 vs. the Mavericks last year and this year and just 10-10 vs. Dallas since Nash arrived.

We've already argued this injury thing. Every team faces injury. You simply have to beat who ya play with who ya got. It may not be a great indicator of what would happen if each team met at full strength, but then again, when does that ever happen?

Two years ago, I'd say Dallas didn't worry me. However, after last year and the loss early this season, I'd say they are far tougher a matchup and while Phoenix can score on them, they do the same on Phoenix and do so to an even clip since Nash switched sides or at a better clip in the last 11 matchups.

mabber
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM

The Mavs would never have beat the Suns in the playoffs last season if Avery hadn't decided (after the first 2 games) to play Diop a lot of minutes. He decided to give the Suns the outside shots instead of letting them drive the lane with no worries. It made a big difference. Obviously, Amare would make a difference there. Regardless, the Suns are going to put up points against anyone but until they learn to play at least a little defense it won't matter. They're capable of playing good defense (see first half of game 6 of that playoff series) but they need to do it on a consistent basis throughout the season (the Mavs learned this, the Spurs have known this for long time). You can't just decide to turn up the defense in key moments in the playoffs. The Suns were absolutely GASSED in the 2nd half of game 6 cuz they had played tough defense the entire first half and weren't used to it.

Plus, everytime the Mavs/Suns got into the 2nd half of the playoff games the pace slowed down and Shawn Marion was not nearly as effective. He needs to work on his halfcourt offense big time. Maybe he has, I haven't seen much of him this season.

If Amare holds up then the Suns will definitely have a decent shot though.

mavsfan1000
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
The Mavs would never have beat the Suns in the playoffs last season if Avery hadn't decided (after the first 2 games) to play Diop a lot of minutes. He decided to give the Suns the outside shots instead of letting them drive the lane with no worries.
No shit. Avery starting Van Horn was a horrible decision and almost cost us the series. I think JMarkJohn is the most reasonable suns fan on this board but I disagree with the spurs being considered the favorites. Well I'll accept that a lot of people think that way despite last years playoffs and the offseason. Anthony Johnson I think is an underrated pickup. He allows Harris and Terry to start together without losing a lot when they go to the bench.

KB24
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
True That!!!

AFBlue
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
No shit. Avery starting Van Horn was a horrible decision and almost cost us the series. I think JMarkJohn is the most reasonable suns fan on this board but I disagree with the spurs being considered the favorites. Well I'll accept that a lot of people think that way despite last years playoffs and the offseason. Anthony Johnson I think is an underrated pickup. He allows Harris and Terry to start together without losing a lot when they go to the bench.

I was higher on Anthony Johnson in the pre-season than I am during the season. He certainly was a good pick-up, but I wonder how much relief he'll provide. The positive spin for the Mavs is that Avery abandoned the idea of playing AJ over Harris. Johnson will give the Mavs some good minutes and was certainly an upgrade over DA.

mabber
12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I was higher on Anthony Johnson in the pre-season than I am during the season. He certainly was a good pick-up, but I wonder how much relief he'll provide. The positive spin for the Mavs is that Avery abandoned the idea of playing AJ over Harris. Johnson will give the Mavs some good minutes and was certainly an upgrade over DA.

I think AJ will have the most value in the playoffs when there's a lot more halfcourt offense being run. He's much better at that than running all the time.

AZLouis
12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
The Mavs would never have beat the Suns in the playoffs last season if Avery hadn't decided (after the first 2 games) to play Diop a lot of minutes. He decided to give the Suns the outside shots instead of letting them drive the lane with no worries. It made a big difference. Obviously, Amare would make a difference there. Regardless, the Suns are going to put up points against anyone but until they learn to play at least a little defense it won't matter. They're capable of playing good defense (see first half of game 6 of that playoff series) but they need to do it on a consistent basis throughout the season (the Mavs learned this, the Spurs have known this for long time). You can't just decide to turn up the defense in key moments in the playoffs. The Suns were absolutely GASSED in the 2nd half of game 6 cuz they had played tough defense the entire first half and weren't used to it.

Plus, everytime the Mavs/Suns got into the 2nd half of the playoff games the pace slowed down and Shawn Marion was not nearly as effective. He needs to work on his halfcourt offense big time. Maybe he has, I haven't seen much of him this season.

If Amare holds up then the Suns will definitely have a decent shot though.

That's a pretty good take. Well done. I agree with all of that.

JMarkJohns
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
...I think JMarkJohn is the most reasonable suns fan on this board...

Danka!

...Anthony Johnson I think is an underrated pickup. He allows Harris and Terry to start together without losing a lot when they go to the bench.

You have no idea how upset I was that Dallas acquired him. I'd been hoping for a year that the Suns would get him and was called crazy for even thinking a player of his ability and value based on contract was even available. I think very, very highly of his game.

Still, on your team, he won't likely be played enough for his defense to make a big impact and if he is, then Harris' impact is lessoned and considering he's one of the best at breaking down a defense and getting into the lane (especially against the Suns), it may hurt Dallas.

mabber
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Danka!

You have no idea how upset I was that Dallas acquired him. I'd been hoping for a year that the Suns would get him and was called crazy for even thinking a player of his ability and value based on contract was even available. I think very, very highly of his game.

Still, on your team, he won't likely be played enough for his defense to make a big impact and if he is, then Harris' impact is lessoned and considering he's one of the best at breaking down a defense and getting into the lane (especially against the Suns), it may hurt Dallas.

Mavs actually used Devon Harris on Vince Carter last night. Had him cover him all over the court to try to use Devon's speed & quickness to make it tougher on Carter to get into the lane so easily. He did a decent job. The times that Carter would post Harris, the Mavs doubled him immediately.

I just don't see that Net team winning the east since Kidd is such a crappy outside shot. They do have a couple of good, young players coming off the bench though.