PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan leaves briefly after hurting right knee

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan leaves briefly after hurting right knee

Web Posted: 12/05/2006 12:20 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120506.05D.BKNspurs.notebook.364f6aa.html

Tim Duncan had to leave the court late in Monday night's second quarter after banging his right knee, but returned for the start of the second half and looked no worse for wear.

Duncan signaled for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to replace him with 2:10 left in the first half, then walked with a slight limp to the bench. Athletic trainer Will Sevening immediately took Duncan to the locker room.

After being examined during halftime, Duncan tested his leg before the start of the third quarter and told Popovich and Sevening he was OK to play.

Duncan scored seven of his 15 points in the first seven minutes of the third quarter before watching the remainder of the rout from the bench. He was moving fine after the game, and team officials did not think he will be limited for Wednesday's game in Charlotte.

Must be the ball: There was more weirdness with the NBA's controversial new microfiber ball during the game.

Twice in the first half, the ball got stuck under the rim during rebounding battles, which prompted Popovich to ask referee Tommy Nunez Jr. if he would consider using another ball.

Though the league insists the balls are so uniform that it will allow the ball to be swapped out during a game, a change from past rules, Monday's crew stuck with the same ball throughout.

On a shot by Spurs' guard Michael Finley in the second quarter, the ball spun on the back of the rim before finally falling in.

"Don't even get me started about the ball," said Spurs forward Robert Horry, shooting 28.6 percent for the season before making 4 of 5 shots against the Warriors, including two 3-point shots.

"I don't think anybody in this league dislikes the new ball as much as me. Have you seen what (percentage) I'm shooting?"

Horry had complained that he was even missing layups with the new ball, but he made one against Golden State.

"But I almost missed that one, too," Horry said.

Evaluating White: With the Spurs playing only five road games in December, the team should have more of an opportunity to practice.

Which should also the coaching staff a better chance to evaluate rookie guard James White.

Popovich said sending White to Austin to play in the NBA's developmental league remains an option.

"But for right now," Popovich said, "we're going to keep watching him right here with us."

Richardson stays home: Golden State guard Jason Richardson didn't accompany the team on its trip to Texas. Not that the Spurs minded.

He scored a season-high 26 points in the Warriors' victory over the Spurs on Nov. 27.

Richardson is still recovering from surgery on his left knee in August. After last week's performance against the Spurs, he was able to play only eight minutes in Golden State's next game.

With his knee troubling him, Richardson didn't play in the fourth quarter of Saturday's loss to Milwaukee.

Team officials decided to leave him home for the Warriors' trip to San Antonio and Houston.

"If he's not able to play at a high percentage it's probably better he not play because then he can't play the next game anyway," Golden State coach Don Nelson said.

"It's better to go into a game and know he's not going to be there than to suffer 15 minutes and then see he's not going to be a factor."

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 01:47 AM
:pctoss

Please_dont_ban_me
12-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Lol @ Horry using the ball as an excuse for him sucking.

Nice to see Pop worrying about how White's coming along. He could turn into a Charles Smith type guy off the bench for us.

joeyjfive
12-05-2006, 02:12 AM
Wow I didnt even notice Tim leaving in the second quarter, must have been distracted. I've been watching the new ball a lot and its taking some odd bounces (especially off the back of the rim) but its hard to make judgement because I never really looked at how a ball bounces off the rim until now, what I mean is I never paid close attention to how the old ball bounced off the rim being shot the same way. But from what I've seen it looks a little different.

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Tim appeared fine when he came back and then after the game.

The ball does bounce weird, but yeah you are right -- maybe the old one bounced weird too and we just didn't pay attention. The only thing that concerns me is if players are really getting cut by the ball like they say they are. If that's true, then they need to do something about it.

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Tim felt fine but we do not know if he realy is.

Cause when something is wrong, something is wrong. It could occure in another game 10 or 20 games from now.

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Tim felt fine but we do not know if he realy is.

Cause when something is wrong, something is wrong. It could occure in another game 10 or 20 games from now.

Umm... He just banged his knee. Players do it in almost every game.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Duncan might be more cautious next time and might limit his moves...i expect a slight reduction of his rbds and minutes.

joeyjfive
12-05-2006, 02:24 AM
I think Tim will be fine, its not like he was sitting on the bench for the rest of the game or anything. Nothing too worry about, I hope.

milkyway21
"But for right now," Popovich said, "we're going to keep watching him right here with us."

rah!rah!rah! :madrun

polandprzem
Umm... He just banged his knee. Players do it in almost every game.

Yup, but we (esp. I ) do not know if there (in the knee) occured any microdamege which can lead to a bigger damage which can lead to injury.

I know it from my own experience.

Hopefully nothing happend cause Tim had knee contusions. Both

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Duncan might be more cautious next time and might limit his moves...i expect a slight reduction of his rbds and minutes.

I doubt it. He probably bangs knees with someone 10 times a year or more.

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2006, 02:31 AM
its a sign to tank the season while its still early.....

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 02:32 AM
I doubt it. He probably bangs knees with someone 10 times a year or more.

Yup but it was the first note about him wanting a substitution.

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Yup but it was the first note about him wanting a substitution.

It might be the first note in the paper, but Tim (and pretty much every other NBA player) bang their knees from time to time. Sometimes they ask out for a few minutes, and then play fine the rest of the game. Beno also went down on the floor like he had been shot tonight. He first held his knee, then his stomach and then after writhing on the floor in pain figured out nothing was wrong. Manu also had to go to the locker room in the 4th quarter.

I don't know why you guys are acting like you want Tim to be injured or something :lol He was fine after the game.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 02:40 AM
I doubt it. He probably bangs knees with someone 10 times a year or more.i hope so. i find it unusual for Duncan to call on Pops to let him rest for awhile bec his knee is hurting. And one of those knees had surgery once, i just don't remember which one.

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:40 AM
i hope so. i find it unusual for Duncan to call on Pops to let him rest for awhile bec his knee is hurting. And one of those knees had surgery once, i just don't remember which one.

It was close to his time to come out of the game anyway.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 02:41 AM
It might be the first note in the paper, but Tim (and pretty much every other NBA player) bang their knees from time to time. Sometimes they ask out for a few minutes, and then play fine the rest of the game. Beno also went down on the floor like he had been shot tonight. He first held his knee, then his stomach and then after writhing on the floor in pain figured out nothing was wrong. Manu also had to go to the locker room in the 4th quarter.

I don't know why you guys are acting like you want Tim to be injured or something :lol He was fine after the game.hehe i must admit it Kori, I'm might be over acting :dramaquee :dramaquee

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 02:42 AM
If you want to see over acting, then you should have seen Beno when he was laying on the floor. :lol

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 02:44 AM
If you want to see over acting, then you should have seen Beno when he was laying on the floor. :loloh i missed that i will watch the replay again tonight :lmao

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Just worrying Kori.

Everytime a spurs player goes down to the floor I'm holding my breath for a moment.

Even though I do not have ny chance now to see spurs games live :)

Ps. I had a knee injury. And I can remember some situations from the past that could couse this injury. And this situations were years before the injury. So that's why I'm bit caution.

freemeat
12-05-2006, 03:58 AM
I actually bought the new ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to play with it a bit. I love it. I think my shot has greatly improved with it, mostly because of the grip (and the stickiness it has on the glass helps with layups that normally would tend to roll off). I think something a lot of people are over-looking is that it's also a two-panel ball rather than the old eight-panel style the leather one has. It means that the sides where shooters like to put their guiding-hand during a jump doesn't have the grooves in them. It doesn't seem like much, but it really is. The smoothness when it leaves the hand is noticable.

joeyjfive
12-05-2006, 04:00 AM
How much does the new ball cost and where did you buy it?

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 04:01 AM
I actually bought the new ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to play with it a bit. I love it. I think my shot has greatly improved with it, mostly because of the grip (and the stickiness it has on the glass helps with layups that normally would tend to roll off). I think something a lot of people are over-looking is that it's also a two-panel ball rather than the old eight-panel style the leather one has. It means that the sides where shooters like to put their guiding-hand during a jump doesn't have the grooves in them. It doesn't seem like much, but it really is. The smoothness when it leaves the hand is noticable.

The players (including Duncan) complain a lot about how slick it is. Maybe how you think it's smooth is where they think it's too slick.

freemeat
12-05-2006, 04:19 AM
How much does the new ball cost and where did you buy it?

Unfortunately, it's about $100...I got it at a Sports Authority, but I'm sure most sporting goods stores have them.

freemeat
12-05-2006, 04:26 AM
The players (including Duncan) complain a lot about how slick it is. Maybe how you think it's smooth is where they think it's too slick.

You're probably right, but I think Timmy is starting to adjust to it better. It looks like a few weeks ago he started holding that smoother part in the palm of his hand with his fingers riding the grooves outward when he shoots free throws. Maybe he's done it throughout the season, but I really began to take notice in the game against Portland (I think) and couldn't recall him doing it before. I could be wrong, but it looks to be helping now...his percentage has been increasing the last few outings it seems. Either way, whatever it takes to help.

Tony said he likes it, though, right? One player outta the whole roster...that's not too bad.

MannyIsGod
12-05-2006, 05:28 AM
I never realized that it was a 2 panel ball. That absolutely sucks. I can't imagine gripping a basketball that doesn't have the same grooves. WTF is that all about?

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 05:35 AM
You're probably right, but I think Timmy is starting to adjust to it better. It looks like a few weeks ago he started holding that smoother part in the palm of his hand with his fingers riding the grooves outward when he shoots free throws. Maybe he's done it throughout the season, but I really began to take notice in the game against Portland (I think) and couldn't recall him doing it before. I could be wrong, but it looks to be helping now...his percentage has been increasing the last few outings it seems. Either way, whatever it takes to help.

Tony said he likes it, though, right? One player outta the whole roster...that's not too bad.

Tim was just complaining about the ball after the Kings game, so I don't know if he likes it quite yet :lol Horry and Tim complain about it all the time. Tim is shooting 55% from the field (which I think is his highest FG% ever) so I think he should like it.

Yes, Tony says he likes it.

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 06:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/career_stats.html

Timmys best season in a long time so far.

But what I want to see him make a progress is blocks and less turnovers as he is in top 10 (I think in a TO per game)

slayermin
12-05-2006, 06:51 AM
The ball seems to bounce softer off the backboard and rim which limits long rebounds. I noticed players that use the finger roll and bank shots get extra love.

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
im scoured on realgm, alot of the clowns on that site has tim duncan front runner to win mvp if season ended now....wow his gettin the respect and recognition....

polandprzem
12-05-2006, 06:57 AM
The ball seems to bounce softer off the backboard and rim which limits long rebounds. I noticed players that use the finger roll and bank shots get extra love.

They even bounce differently while player is dribbling it. The ball is absorbing some power so we have diferent bounces esp. at the back of the rim like freemeat said.

boutons_
12-05-2006, 09:23 AM
That vain mofo Tim refuses to wear knee pads, in spite of getting repeatedly bruised/abused knees over the years.

angel_luv
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
If you want to see over acting, then you should have seen Beno when he was laying on the floor. :lol

Hey!

duncanchick21
12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
guys tim duncan is going to be fine. his tim duncan!!!

milkyway21
12-06-2006, 03:03 AM
so much for the drama.

but it's out DUNCAN-right knee & who else? BOWEN (:huh i just can't believe it,the iron man?), are PROBABLE :depressed

maldita21
12-06-2006, 04:49 AM
http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/6/12/6/f_a2e34105i_8f2bm_66c1c597.jpg

... hope Tim's knees will be fine... :depressed

question: if tim won't play, who would start in his place?

Horry? :dramaquee

milkyway21
12-06-2006, 05:05 AM
http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/6/12/6/f_a2e34105i_8f2bm_66c1c597.jpg

... hope Tim's knees will be fine... :depressed

question: if tim won't play, who would start in his place?

Horry? :dramaquee
i watched the game live and replay but i didn't see Duncan that way- with all the bandages and all :lol

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 05:29 AM
All the Spurs wrap their knees like that if they are sitting out a whole quarter or something. And they all wrap/ice their knees and ankles right after the game for a few minutes before showering.

I don't think Bruce will miss the game. But Duncan, you never know, they might be overly cautious with him.

polandprzem
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Iceing helps with regeneration.

Most of the players are doing that.

Tim will destroy Bobcats

polandprzem
12-06-2006, 12:11 PM
oooooooooops I've just checkd that Tim is probable

Deamitt :pctoss

boutons_
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
"Iceing helps with regeneration."