PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Manu's return hits the mark

Kori Ellis
12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Manu's return hits the mark: Ginobili records season-high nine assists in easy victory

Web Posted: 12/05/2006 12:28 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120506.04D.BKNspurs.ginobili.35d9853.html

It took Manu Ginobili exactly 18 seconds to prove to nearly everyone inside the AT&T Center on Monday night that he is back, good as new, after missing four games with a bruised lower back.

Entering the Spurs' game against the Golden State Warriors with 2:48 remaining in the first quarter, it took Ginobili only 10 seconds to rebound a missed shot by forward Mickael Pietrus. It took only an additional eight for him to bring the ball upcourt and fire a perfect lob to Francisco Elson for a dunk that gave the Spurs a 15-point lead.

Spurs fans who had been holding their breath waiting to see whether Ginobili would return as the reckless playmaker whose game energizes his team exhaled.

Ginobili's coach will wait a while before buying into Ginobili's full recovery.

"I wouldn't say he's (100 percent) right now," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It's a time where he's probably got to play through some things."

Ginobili disputed Popovich's assessment of his physical condition.

"I am 100 percent," Ginobili said, smiling broadly. "I wanted to play more, but I understand his concern. He doesn't want me to get hurt again and miss another (four) games, so I understand his point. I wanted to play 25 (minutes), something like that. We'll see next game."

Ginobili admitted playing cautiously in his first stint on the court Monday, holding back from driving to the basket until overcoming a twinge of fear about his sore back.

During his second run of the game, he was back to that, too.

"As I couldn't go to the basket so hard — I was a little bit scared — I tried to just penetrate and kick," he said.

Ginobili had nine assists, his season high. He even tried to help teammate Brent Barry turn back the clock to 1996, when he won the All-Star weekend slam dunk contest at the Alamodome.

Stealing a pass by Warriors rookie Patrick O'Bryant, Ginobili started a fast break with a wraparound dribble around Golden State's Keith McLeod, then lobbed a long pass for Barry, streaking down the other side of the court.

Barry mistimed his jump, so a dunk was out of the question, but he tossed in a layup.

"I thought he was going to jump a little higher, so it could make a better play," Ginobili said. "I thought I was going to see the slam dunk champion Brent Barry, but it was a really ugly layup."

Barry said it was no coincidence that the Spurs moved the ball better Monday with Ginobili back, even in limited minutes.

"Obviously, ball movement with him — something we've been talking about for a while — is going to improve once he gets in shape," said Barry, who had 18 points in just 19 off-the-bench minutes, most of them when Ginobili also was on the court.

Though he tried, unsuccessfully, to talk Popovich into giving him more court time, Ginobili was happy just to be suited up and playing.

"I just felt so happy to be there," Ginobili said. "I was tired of watching the games. I felt like I was ready and wanted to try."

joeyjfive
12-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Manu looked great out there in his limited minutes but one guy I'm starting to get a little confidence in is Beno Udrih. First I'm a huge Beno critic, I actually hate him at times and I know we are barely in december and thats hardly any time to prove anything, but I think he is finally coming around. Yes he does still have the occasional turnover but it happens, when he was on the court today he ran the offense well and he had a nice little reverse that made Espns top 10 plays btw. I dont want to get too high on Beno because given his past he will screw it all up and go bacl to turning over the ball 4 times a game. It could be hes just making his shots but I think Beno is becoming a solid basketball player.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 02:32 AM
with all thse Manu or Udrih making the Spurs beat the Golden State Warrior. Truth is, Pops had dinner a night before with Nelson and had some chit chat and soaked up a little wine, acc to some reports. Popovich even opened a 200-year-old bottle of port for the occasion. That's why Nelson was still groggy the day after and can't think much to coach his team to win he game :lol

boutons_
12-05-2006, 03:01 AM
In an interview before the game, Don looked very unhealthy. I'll be surprised if he makes it another 10 years, even 5.

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 03:53 AM
In an interview before the game, Don looked very unhealthy. see? i told you he was groggy :lol

Pops :toast <-> :toast Nelson

milkyway21
12-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Barry said it was no coincidence that the Spurs moved the ball better Monday with Ginobili back, even in limited minutes.

"Obviously, ball movement with him — something we've been talking about for a while — is going to improve once he gets in shape," said Barry, who had 18 points in just 19 off-the-bench minutes, most of them when Ginobili also was on the court.
seriously, Brent Barry is right. Better ball movement was one key to the win tonight.

the assists tells you-Manu leading w/ 9. TP, Elson even Oberto. It was one of the keys to this team winning the 2005 championship. They shld do it more often.

Share the BALL!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-05-2006, 04:03 AM
I agree, there's less stagnation and predictability.We need less ISO's..if this game was any indication of that, (ahh 40 Point wins are nice :lol)... much better than 1-3 point margins of victory.

We need to fustigate these biotches!

carina_gino20
12-05-2006, 08:09 AM
"I thought he was going to jump a little higher, so it could make a better play," Ginobili said. "I thought I was going to see the slam dunk champion Brent Barry, but it was a really ugly layup." :lol

although i hated seeing him settle for jumpshots (w/c is actually understandable coming back from an injury), it was so nice just having manu back in the game. one thing about manu is he can be in a game, not score, and still make his presence felt. some games, it's rebounding, this time, it's dishing out those assists.

GrandeDavid
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
In an interview before the game, Don looked very unhealthy. I'll be surprised if he makes it another 10 years, even 5.

Could've been the bottle of 200 year old port that Pop opened for him the previous night.

angel_luv
12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Welcome back Gino. :)

SAGambler
12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
one thing about manu is he can be in a game, not score, and still make his presence felt. some games, it's rebounding, this time, it's dishing out those assists.

And that is why it is imperitive that Manu be healthy come playoff time. Just being on the court makes the Spurs a better team.

Ball movement was great last night. And I only saw about a 2 or 3 minute lapse in focus the entire game... You have to wonder just how badly they needed those couple of days to practice...Sure did seem to sharpen up the team last night.

duncanchick21
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Wellcome Back Manu!!! Go Spurs Go!!1

wildbill2u
12-05-2006, 12:34 PM
One game doesn't make a season--but it's nice when the team is functioning as its supposed to and can make a statement:

"We are the Spurs. We have so many ways to beat you. Be afraid. Be very afraid."

boutons_
12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
We also have so many ways to beat ourselves, but that's for another morning-after.

aaronstampler
12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I love when Manu, Brent, and Beno - the pale triangle - all play together. They have very good chemistry together, a lot of ball movement, unselfishness, and they can all stick the three.

Emanuel20
12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
:lol

although i hated seeing him settle for jumpshots (w/c is actually understandable coming back from an injury), it was so nice just having manu back in the game. one thing about manu is he can be in a game, not score, and still make his presence felt. some games, it's rebounding, this time, it's dishing out those assists.

WHY CAN'T WE TEACH PARKER TO BE LIKE MANU?
if tony does not score, he is not Noticeable in the game

Axl Van Dam
12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
:hungry: HE'S BAAAAAACCCCCCCK!!!!!! :hungry:

pjjrfan
12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Manu just brings a special kind of electricity into a game. I was holding my breath there wondering who well Manu would do but he came out and right away found Elson for 2 easy baskets. He made things happen and even better he brought excitement and energy. I have alway been one who hated to see Manu benched because some other guy was struggling, but I think Manu just does a remarkable job off the bench, well, it's something to think about. I love this guys game.

maldita21
12-05-2006, 07:42 PM
I love when Manu, Brent, and Beno - the pale triangle - all play together. They have very good chemistry together, a lot of ball movement, unselfishness, and they can all stick the three.

:lol

ALVAREZ6
12-05-2006, 08:05 PM
:lol @ the ugly barry lay-up

SenorSpur
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Manu is probably the most awkward, most unpredicatable, and yet one of the most exciting players this league has ever seen. His game truly defies definition.

Emanuel20
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Manu is probably the most awkward, most unpredicatable, and yet one of the most exciting players this league has ever seen. His game truly defies definition.

Well Said :clap

SenorSpur
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't ever want to see him foul another superstar player for an "and 1" in the final seconds of a playoff game ever again.

Why Manu Why?

Emanuel20
12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I don't ever want to see him foul another superstar player for an "and 1" in the final seconds of a playoff game ever again.

Why Manu Why?
Please don;t remind me....... :cry

Let's just see what he is going to do this year (most importantly in the play-offs) Go Manu GO
Go Spurs GO
:clap