PDA

View Full Version : New Review

12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
New Belgium's seasonal offering 2 Below, is quite hoppy, but finishes well and is best served in a frozen mug.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Images/OurBeers/SeasonalRelease/2below6.jpg

That is all, carry on.

leemajors
12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
i don't care for frozen mugs myself. room temp pint glasses all the way. the st. arnolds christmas beer isn't half bad but i usually don't try the holiday type ales - i do enjoy dark beer though.

jinglejangle
12-06-2006, 01:23 AM
I tried this the other day.
Not a bad brew, was hoppy and had that slight hint of a cherry finish to it.
I'm not big on frosted mugs myself, but I do agree that the beer tasted better when opened up in a glass.
It really was a better brew than I expected.

12-06-2006, 08:18 AM
This just in; if one consumes an entire six pack of 2 Below coupled with a bowl of venison stew and pinto beans with a touch too much cilantro, the farts generated the next morning will have the noticeable odor of burnt pot roast mixed with CS Gas. Aforementioned odor will have a staying power of 2-5 minutes and will permeate and linger in furniture fabric.

That is all.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 10:04 AM
New Belgium started in the town I went to college, Ft. Collins, CO. If you take the tour they give you so much damn free beer, it's wonderful.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
The best thing about Ft. Collins is that New Belgium isn't even the best micro-brew in town, O'dell's is.

I highly recommend that if anyone ever wants to take a road trip that ends in tons of beer and college women, they head up to brew fest in July in the beautiful Old Town area of Ft. Collins. Every micro brew in Colorado on tap in one area. Thousands of drunken 21 year olds. Best time ever.

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
The best thing about Ft. Collins is that New Belgium isn't even the best micro-brew in town, O'dell's is.

I thought Left Hand was better. But I liked them all.

The lady working the bar at left hand charged 4 of us for one flight, but she kept pouring other stuff she thought we might like. I think we spent like $8 between four of us, and we all got a pretty good buzz.

I was sort of disappointed in New Belgium's sampling. When we were there we could only choose four samples.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM

The lady working the bar at left hand charged 4 of us for one flight, but she kept pouring other stuff she thought we might like. I think we spent like $8 between four of us, and we all got a pretty good buzz.

I was sort of disappointed in New Belgium's sampling. When we were there we could only choose four samples.

Left Hand is technically in Loveland, CO. But yes, they are excellent beers as well. I went to a private party thing with left hand at their brewery and it was all the beer you wanted for free. God I miss Colorado.

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM
You're right, I forgot that was in Loveland... Those two days are kind of hazy.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:21 AM

When you went to New Belgium, did they give you the Growler? Or do they not do that anymore? It's been about five years since I've been there.

Oh, and again, go to BrewFest one year, it's well worth the trip.

leemajors
12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
when i went to new belgium i was still the bar manager at an alamo drafthouse. threw down my rep's card and they hooked me up with 40% off merchandise and all the samples i wanted, it was great! the la folie is quite tasty, too bad they only sell it there =~[

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
If you're ever in the mountains, stop by the TommyKnocker brewery as well. Probably the best of the microbrews but they are not sold in many places, even in Colorado you have to look a little. Usually a bit more pricey then your O'dell's and New Belgiums but well worth it. They are in Idaho Springs.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
when i went to new belgium i was still the bar manager at an alamo drafthouse. threw down my rep's card and they hooked me up with 40% off merchandise and all the samples i wanted, it was great! the la folie is quite tasty, too bad they only sell it there =~[

They had a seasonal one year, "Two-Cherry Ale". Normally I don't like fruity beers, but this was perhaps my favorite beer ever. It was only sold for three months.

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:30 AM
When you went to New Belgium, did they give you the Growler? Or do they not do that anymore? It's been about five years since I've been there.

Nah, we didn't get a growler. We got to pick four brews to sample in half-pint size glasses.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Nah, we didn't get a growler. We got to pick four brews to sample in half-pint size glasses.

They used to let you fill up two growlers before you left. If you made friends with the guy you could usually end up with four.

tlongII
12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Come to Portland, the birthplace of microbrews.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Come to Portland, the birthplace of microbrews.

Yeah, I'd like to go to Portland actually, I hear it's a pretty kick ass town.

Most microbrews per capita, Oregon.

I lived in Boise for about three years and I never made it over there, what a shame.

tlongII
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
One of my favorites is Turtle Dew. 6.1 % alcohol by volume.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
HOLY SHIT!

www.arcticliquor.com

You can get all of Colorado's microbrews delivered to you.

If anyone is interested in trying, I recommend any Tommyknocker beer and ESPECIALLY O'Dells, Easy Street Wheat.

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
They used to let you fill up two growlers before you left. If you made friends with the guy you could usually end up with four.

Yeah my buddy says they used to do that but not anymore.

Guess they're getting too "corporate"... :lol

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
O'Dells, Easy Street Wheat

:tu

Spurminator
12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
http://www.arcticliquor.com/beer-month-club-c-28.html

Tempting...

leemajors
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
i'm gonna be hitting up the mendocino brewing company next month when i'm in cali. gonna be great to have some eye of the hawk on tap.