PDA

View Full Version : behind the scenes of tony and eva engagement

fred33
12-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Jeweler says he designed Eva's engagement ring based on her personality

Web Posted: 12/05/2006 08:05 PM CST

(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Actress Eva Longoria wears her engagement ring at the VH1 Big in '06 Awards Saturday night.

DOUSSET

Michael Quintanilla
Express-News Staff Writer
Jewelry designer Jean Dousset is one romantic dude.

After all, it was his idea to have Tony Parker handwrite a personal message to Eva Longoria — an endearment that has been engraved inside the shank of a whopping 5-carat, emerald-cut, 248-diamond engagement ring mounted on a white gold setting. (Dousset won't reveal the ring's value, but at least one San Antonio bling expert says it could be worth as much as $500,000.)

What did Parker pen?

“Oh, I can't say. But I read it. The writing is in Tony's hand. The message is for Eva's eyes only,” said Dousset from Paris, adding that the idea is a Dousset family tradition that Parker has now made his own.

Parisian-born Dousset has worked for prestigious French jewelry houses and divides his time between Paris and Los Angeles where he recently opened an atelier, or design studio, and is creating his own jewelry line. He keeps his celebrity client list mum but reveals that, among his pieces, is a pink diamond necklace he and Barbra Streisand worked on for nearly a year.

He began work on Longoria's ring last July, after Parker told Dousset he'd decided to pop the question to the “Desperate Housewives” actress.

“I started looking for the perfect stone and described to Tony the concept and what I wanted to do,” he said. “Tony was very happy and we continued with the ring.”

The designer said he based the design on Longoria's personality.

“She has a strong will, is very feminine, very loving and a loyal friend. That ring is strong because it is covered with diamonds. I ran out of space for more. And it is also very curvy, like her. So, you see, the ring requires a big personality to pull it off, which she has. On her, it looks amazing.”

Dousset has nothing but kind words for the couple he calls his friends. “I praise Tony for his incredible trust in me, and for putting it all together. He called me and he said ‘I'm doing it tonight,'.” Dousset said about Parker's proposal Nov. 29.

Dousset has known Longoria for almost four years and designed the No. 9 (Parker's Spurs' number) diamond pendant she often wears to games.

“She sent me an e-mail to tell me how excited she was about the ring and the proposal. She said it was ‘a dream come true.' She has always been in love with Tony and has been very forthcoming about that. He is a fantastic guy. She is a lovely woman. I am very happy for them.”