PDA

View Full Version : Stern taking the fun out of game

RonMexico
12-06-2006, 04:06 AM
I normally don't like everything this guy writes for the Arizona newspaper, but I actually agree with him here...

Stern taking the fun out of game

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic

The NBA is becoming the new No Fun League. There are dress codes, technical fouls for whining, expensive reprimands for renegade owners.

It is all part of a master plan to take the playground out of the game, softening up the gritty urban feel of professional basketball. Street cred and bling, you're no longer welcome here.

It is a highly ambitious plan, and quite courageous, really. Until you consider David Stern's new balls.

"The only problem I have with it is that it tears my fingers apart," said the Suns' Steve Nash, reigning two-time MVP.

Astonishing, isn't it? If the new behavior and dress codes weren't enough, the NBA has blindsided its players with a new basketball that looks like a Nerf pumpkin. The balls are soft and orange and strangely cushy. They are also part of a new grievance filed by union leader Billy Hunter.

Hunter claims that his players hate the new balls, even though early results show little statistical change from last season. Dallas owner Mark Cuban funded independent studies and discovered that the soft bounces help shooters while the stickiness hinders creative playmakers.

"I think our team is split," said the Suns' Eric Piatkowski, the team's union representative. "Sixty percent don't like it, 40 percent do."

But new revelations have changed the argument considerably. Nets point guard Jason Kidd said the new ball gives him the feeling of multiple paper cuts in his hands. That sounds extreme, but Nash understood completely, saying he suffers from the same problem.

Of course, these are merely two of the best passers in NBA history. They both work the ball furiously while dribbling, whether it's applying heavy spin or delivering creative touch passes. And just like that, the commissioner has gone and handicapped two of the most artful, unselfish players he has in the sport.

"It's awful," Nash said, showing off what appeared to be array of friction burns on his fingers. "It's like an irritant, and you get them right on the part of your hands that you're using the most. And every time you go to shoot it you don't want to use those parts. Sometimes, I even have to tape my fingers in practice."

In the wide view, it is easy to see the reason for great Stern mandate, even with the considerable risks. While benefiting from a wonderful new crop of stars, the game is still dealing with a lingering perception problem - the one that always goes back to the guns and headbands and cornrows. Hunter recently said as much to the New York Daily News:

"The image problem is a subtle way of talking about Black ballplayers and how they appear to the populace," Hunter said. "When we had our last round of negotiations, David told me that he was consulting with one of President Bush's political consultants. The issue was: What they can do to make the game and players more appealing to the red states?"

While Stern's heavy-handed reform is beginning to anger many influential players, it's the same deal with this new basketball. In any other sport, the ball is an object to be thrown, caught, kicked or hit. But a basketball is much different and much more personal. It is more like a brush for the artist - and if you don't believe me, please pop in a tape of Magic Johnson. Or Pistol Pete.

To mess with that relationship is insane.

Officially, the new basketball was developed to correct inconsistencies in the old model. But there are new rumors this new basketball actually came about because the wife of the Rockets' owner is a huge ally for PETA. Seems she's also a friend of Stern's wife. And when the two gals got to talking, well, that rich, leathery old basketball that came from the back of some poor cow was a thing of the past.

"That'd be great," Nash said. "I'd agree with that. But can't they make a better synthetic basketball? One that doesn't cut my fingers? The colleges use a synthetic. It's a good basketball; they could use that. Oh, but then they wouldn't have a new one to sell."

Ah, yes. Capitalism. The brand new Spalding NBA Official Game Basketball retails for just about $100 and is sitting on the shelves for your holiday shopping pleasure. Unlike the old leather ball that served the NBA, you can actually play with this one in your driveway and not worry about the ball enduring a lifetime of premature baldness.

In the end, that is surely why this ridiculous change was made.

"It's selling pretty good, actually," said Jason Stroud, store manager for the Sports Authority sporting goods chain. "I just got another shipment in today. And I haven't had any returns yet."

Cha-ching, and this is where the commissioner and his combative New Deal have dropped the ball.

After all, when you try to take the playground out of the game and then introduce a new basketball just because it'll sell better on the playground, well, there's a word for that on the street, yo: hypocrite.

ChumpDumper
12-06-2006, 04:40 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/columns/images/bickley.jpg

This dude is all about the street.

freedom&justice
12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
"The only problem I have with it is that it tears my fingers apart," said the Suns' Steve Nash, reigning two-time MVP.

"It's awful," Nash said, showing off what appeared to be array of friction burns on his fingers. "It's like an irritant, and you get them right on the part of your hands that you're using the most. And every time you go to shoot it you don't want to use those parts. Sometimes, I even have to tape my fingers in practice."

This is awful. Something's gotta be done if it's hurting the players physically. Flip has also said Chauncey and Nazr have been experiencing the same problems - Chauncey's had to tape his fingers as well.

leemajors
12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
nfl has had dibs on the no fun league moniker for years. you can get fined if you don't wear your socks right.

boutons_
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
"take the playground out"

If I wanted to see playground basketball, I'd go to the playground, asshole.

There's way too much "urban" playground (shitty) basketball. Almost the entire EC sucks with shitty teams, coaches, GMs, losing records, shitty basketball, not that any of that affects $4M avg NBA salary. The celebrating, look-at-me-and-my-one-play, yelling, feminized culotte shorts, taunting, whining far outweighs quality of the basketball.

RonMexico
12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
That same type of yelling and stuff annoys me in football too when a guy makes his one tackle or pass deflection and acts like he's unstoppable, then gets burned the next play. If I ever coached a team in college, I would bench every player that did the least bit of taunting or self-promotion on the field.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I like the no complaining stuff they've done this year and I don't know anyone who doesn't. You look at players catch themselves and its awesome.

v2freak
12-07-2006, 08:08 PM
"take the playground out"

If I wanted to see playground basketball, I'd go to the playground, asshole.

There's way too much "urban" playground (shitty) basketball. Almost the entire EC sucks with shitty teams, coaches, GMs, losing records, shitty basketball, not that any of that affects $4M avg NBA salary. The celebrating, look-at-me-and-my-one-play, yelling, feminized culotte shorts, taunting, whining far outweighs quality of the basketball.

Totally agree. It's great that Nash advocates a synthetic ball though - one that doesn't come from 'the back of a poor cow'

G-Money
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Stern is a idoit, he is killing the NBA. This no defense, supestar calling bullshit NBA is a shell of what the NBA once was.

boutons_
12-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Watching the 86 Finals Celts vs Rockets on NBA TV as part of Larry Bird's 50th birthday party, I much prefer that kind of basketball. A very, very different game from now.

dirk4mvp
12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Watching the 86 Finals Celts vs Rockets on NBA TV as part of Larry Bird's 50th birthday party, I much prefer that kind of basketball. A very, very different game from now.

:tu

I was watching a '84 Finals game between the Celtics/Lakers on ESPN Classic. It was much more physical and no star got any special treatment.

dave
12-08-2006, 12:34 AM
oh man
i was watching the '02 finals and i fell asleep

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 12:46 AM
:tu

I was watching a '84 Finals game between the Celtics/Lakers on ESPN Classic. It was much more physical and no star got any special treatment.

No way you can support that. I thought Dirk got 24 FTs in '84 too...

dirk4mvp
12-08-2006, 07:51 AM
No way you can support that. I thought Dirk got 24 FTs in '84 too...

When Rambis got his ass knocked down, I thought that was Bell's dirty ass.

Is there any need to make homer ass comments all the time? We all know your team fucking sucks and isn't going to win shit w/o playing defense.

The Suns are arguably the 4th best team in the west. Mavs are arguably 1st.

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
When Rambis got his ass knocked down, I thought that was Bell's dirty ass.

Is there any need to make homer ass comments all the time? We all know your team fucking sucks and isn't going to win shit w/o playing defense.

The Suns are arguably the 4th best team in the west. Mavs are arguably 1st.

It's only because I hate you and think everything you've posted is about as "homer ass" as it gets. You annoy the shit out of me and the existence of that womanly German on your team angers me enough to make me want everyone in the league to see that he plays no defense, can't score a lot without at least flopping 3 or 4 times per half to get to the line, and is the biggest choke in the history of the finals since Patrick Ewing.

Suns don't play defense, but don't act like Dirk does. How many wins in a row do the Mavs have now, fuckbag?

I've never seen anything more homer than to continue to complain about the "treatment" D-Wade got in the Finals (through both obvious and thinly veiled comments) without commenting that the only real foul Dirk sustained in the Conference Semis was that Ginobili foul.

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
And I don't make "homer ass" comments all the time - I simply make Anti-Mav and Anti-Dirk comments... I support the Heat, Suns, Spurs, Pistons, Nuggets, Bobcats, Hornets, Hakws... pretty much all other 29 teams in the NBA in their quest to send the Mavs back to their little sorority cry-fest retreat with Cuban.

Being homer ignores that your team can do any wrong (not me, I still think they need to show more defensive effort and not get lazy and blow big leads... and Raja Bell nearly derailed the Suns' postseason with an idiotic move). However, you think your team is the class of the NBA (Stackhouse has how many flagrant fouls in the past two postseasons? Cuban has how many fines? Terry has how many suspensions? Devin Harris has how many flops? Dirk has how many "rolled ankles"? Raja Bell used to play for what team... and you probably loved him then? Adrian Griffin has how many classless last second-dunks and wannabe tough guy moves?).

Please tell me you remember the time Adrian Griffin dunked in Game 6 of the WCF with 2 seconds left and the Mavs were already winning the game... there's a reason Suns fans clapped for the Spurs when they won the West in 05 and a reason why the Mavs were booed off the floor in 06... oh yeah, and Adrian Griffin threw an elbow into Shawn Marion, stared him down with those bug eyes, and then went back to the bench and asked Cuban to send in a video of the event to get Marion suspended for the next game. I remember Mavs fans coming on here and saying "Griff is a vet - he knows how to respect another team... he didn't dunk that ball at the end of the game" ... when the video evidence clearly shows a different story. That's homerism.

dirk4mvp
12-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't really care if someone hates me on the internet. One of the least things I care about.

I'm not a Mavs homer. You're a suns homer. Is that so hard to understand, dumbass?

You get your panties in a wad over the tiniest of things.

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
No, I just respect fans who actually know the game of basketball and didn't just hop on some bandwagon like all the other $30k/yr millionaires up their in your city around 2000... you sit back and act like they actually played defense back in the 80s??? Slamming someone to the ground on the break is not defense, by the way... The Celtics were giving up over 120 pts at home per night to the Lakers in the '84 Finals... they lost 149-111 in Game 1!! Those of us who have watched basketball for a long time know that good offensive showcases are more "pure" and more "classic" than this boring, slow, plodding game that has plagued the league for so many years.

Too bad TNT actually thinks your pussy team is a marquee draw around the league, because they missed out on broadcasting the best NBA game in 10 years that occurred in New Jersey last night... even the Pistons were watching the game in the locker room at halftime because they knew they could destory that vagina that is your team.

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 07:20 PM
My initial comment was about how Dirk shot 24 FT... as I remember, that was against SA, not Phoenix... just want to make sure you weren't gonna say I was a Spurs homer now...

dirk4mvp
12-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Are saying the suns are better than the mavs?

That proves your argument is a fucking joke right there.

RonMexico
12-08-2006, 10:19 PM
I never made that argument - I just said there's no way your team is winning a championship

dirk4mvp
12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I never made that argument - I just said there's no way your team is winning a championship

How come they can't? They've shown they can get to the finals, what makes you think they can't take it further this time around with an arguably better team than lat year's finals team?

ShackO
12-09-2006, 12:50 AM
I am not a fan of stern or most of the things he has done.....

But I do like the new/old STFU rule......

As well as calling palming and traveling.......... Nice to watch a game without some fool tucking the ball under his arm like he is playing ruby and taking four steps to the hoop....................

It is not just stern that has alterfuxed the game......... I think the owners don't want their merchandise damaged.......... The sissy touch fouls and constant whistle blowing are here to stay I am afraid……… Drag that game out for more air (commercial) time as they overly protect the pampered cash cows of the league…..

I hope next they address the lean in foul… What bull shxt…

You get them in the air and lean into them as you attempt the shot thus drawing the bull shit foul….. See: Wade and Bryant………

RonMexico
12-09-2006, 01:38 AM
How come they can't? They've shown they can get to the finals, what makes you think they can't take it further this time around with an arguably better team than lat year's finals team?

And the Suns don't have an "arguably better team" with a fit and slimmer Kurt Thomas and a healthy Amare providing the inside threat they needed to survive any halfcourt game against the Mavs? Also the new emphasis on calling blocking fouls on flops will negate Devin Harris and palming violations (as highlighted by ShackO) will hurt Terry... btw, Anthony Johnson and Keith Van Horn, Jr. (Croshere) don't make you marginally better, much less "arguably."

The reason I think they can't take it further comes from the fact that I think the Spurs will beat them in any matchup and I think the Suns will get past them, as well... shouldn't have let Dirk's pitiful 4th quarters in the Finals ruin their best chance to get a title...

dirk4mvp
12-09-2006, 01:50 AM
And the Suns don't have an "arguably better team" with a fit and slimmer Kurt Thomas and a healthy Amare providing the inside threat they needed to survive any halfcourt game against the Mavs? Also the new emphasis on calling blocking fouls on flops will negate Devin Harris and palming violations (as highlighted by ShackO) will hurt Terry... btw, Anthony Johnson and Keith Van Horn, Jr. (Croshere) don't make you marginally better, much less "arguably."

The reason I think they can't take it further comes from the fact that I think the Spurs will beat them in any matchup and I think the Suns will get past them, as well... shouldn't have let Dirk's pitiful 4th quarters in the Finals ruin their best chance to get a title...

Yes, they do. But I don't think they'll be able to beat the Mavs. Or the Spurs. And Johnson provides vet leadership and Croshere isn't nearly as basketball stupid as KVH. Not to mention George who knows what it's like to win, and Buckner who plays solid D. Along with the rapid upcoming of Harris and Howard. And Damp is actually playing like he deserves a few bucks of his inflated contract.

The Mavs know what it's like to get to the finals now. They also know what it's like to fail miserably in the finals as well. If they get back, it won't happen again...