PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for earlier start times

SenorSpur
12-06-2006, 05:45 AM
I may have missed this prior to the start of the season, but does anyone know the reason why there's been a change in start time for Spurs home games from the traditional 7:30PM start time?

Sam
12-06-2006, 06:47 AM
TV Deals. It fits TNT, NBC and NBATV's times better. It's easier for the East Coast crowd like me.

exstatic
12-06-2006, 08:12 AM
TV Deals. It fits TNT, NBC and NBATV's times better. It's easier for the East Coast crowd like me.
The Rockets still tip at 7:30....

Sam
12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
The Rockets still tip at 7:30....
Hate to sound awful but the Rockets just aren't as big of a deal as us yet.

AlamoSpursFan
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
When did NBC get the NBA back?

veronicamae
12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I hate the 7:00 tipoff time. In order to make it on time you have to leave by 6:15 to deal with the remaining rush hour traffic that combines with the Spurs traffic. If you leave any earlier, you really get stuck, and if you leave later, you simply have too far to go (at least from where I live) to make it by 7:00. Working til 5:00 means you have to rush home to change for the game (and good luck having time for dinner) to even attempt to make it on time. I've missed most of the 1st quarter every game I've been to this year.

SAtown
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
It makes the already WEAK at&t center crowd a little weaker, especially at the beginning of games. Seriously, people look at me like I'm an idiot if I stand up and yell in the 1st.

MannyIsGod
12-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I believe it was to attract more people to the non-weekend game by being more "family friendly" but I may be completely off base.

PeterBurns
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Also, I'm sure that the ATT Center like people coming straight from work and buying refreshments, rather than going home and grabbing something to eat before the games....

BigVee
12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Yep no good on the west coast either. Get home from work at 5:30...used to be perfect, nine minutes before tip. Now there is usually about 3 minutes left in the first. I asked Kori with her influence to get it changed back..but

reydawg
12-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I hate the 7:00 tipoff time. In order to make it on time you have to leave by 6:15 to deal with the remaining rush hour traffic that combines with the Spurs traffic. If you leave any earlier, you really get stuck,

So if you leave at 6:15, do you theoretically pass somebody who left earlier and really got stuck?

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
TV Deals. It fits TNT, NBC and NBATV's times better. It's easier for the East Coast crowd like me.For nationally televised games, they often changed the time. but for games that would just be local or on League Pass, there's no pressure to do so.

So all games are 7 pm tipoff now?

Parkersgirl9
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
traffic is not a problem. SA ain't that big....

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I believe it was to attract more people to the non-weekend game by being more "family friendly" but I may be completely off base.

That's correct.

I don't like the early start though.

SAtown
12-06-2006, 02:03 PM

You're joking, right?

Jimcs50
12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I did not even notice the new time, because I can not watch them this year, since Sudden Link dropped the League Pass here.

:depressed

Hatfield
12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep no good on the west coast either. Get home from work at 5:30...used to be perfect, nine minutes before tip. Now there is usually about 3 minutes left in the first. I asked Kori with her influence to get it changed back..but

It sucks for West coast for sure....especially if you have to work late. Thank goodness for my DVR.

AFBlue
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Well if you're east coast, it's a slight improvement. During the Playoffs the past couple years I was routinely up until 2 A.M. for some games and had to be at work 4 hours later.

I still go to bed before some tipoffs occur even now...west coast away games. I guess no matter what Stern does, someone is gonna be pissed...

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
I did not even notice the new time, because I can not watch them this year, since Sudden Link dropped the League Pass here.

:depressedOn the positive side, that means no more "The Spurs are killing them!" or "The Mavs are getting killed!" threads from Jim.

Jimcs50
12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
On the positive side, that means no more "The Spurs are killing them!" or "The Mavs are getting killed!" threads from Jim.

You guys miss me, I know you do....admit it.

ShoogarBear
12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
If my cable carrier dropped League Pass, there'd be some serious hell to pay. Fortunately, I think there's zero chance of that with Comcast.

T Park
12-07-2006, 01:41 AM
For people at the game, that have work the next day, so they can get a good night's rest.

Getting home at 9:30 10 oclock is better than the `10 30 11 sometimes midnight horsehockey we've had to endure in the past.

SenorSpur
12-07-2006, 02:29 AM
I've noticed that only the Spurs home games have been affected.

I wonder was this simply a team decision or has other NBA teams adopting the same change?

MannyIsGod
12-07-2006, 03:26 AM

:depressedDude, wtf? Get a dish

Please_dont_ban_me
12-07-2006, 03:57 AM
When did NBC get the NBA back?

tannnnn tana tana tanaaaaaa tana na na na na na NA NA NA NA. Sorry.

Jimcs50
12-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Dude, wtf? Get a dish

Dude, I had DirecTv for 10 yrs just for the sole purpose of watching Spurs on League Pass because Cox did not have NBA League Pass. Last year, Cox offered League Pass for the first time, so I dropped DirecTv, because I was paying for cable AND Satelite. The week before the season, my wife threw out my dish receiver because I no longer needed it. Then Sudden Link bought out Cox and they dropped League Pass without telling anyone. So when I called to sign up again, they give me the news.

Fuck Sudden Link.

Any way, betw Aggie season tickets and other commitments, I do nt miss watching every Spurs game like I thought I would. I might get DirecTv after college season is over.

LilMissSPURfect
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM

COMPARED TO LA & HOUSTON RIGHT?

veronicamae
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
So if you leave at 6:15, do you theoretically pass somebody who left earlier and really got stuck?

yes, however you then get trapped in the game traffic when you get to the AT&T. you can't win! lol

Mrs.Jimcs50
12-07-2006, 06:43 PM
The week before the season, my wife threw out my dish receiver because I no longer needed it.

I also threw out the Super-Sized Trojans because you didn't need them, either. But to be fair, I did let you keep your stash of "Big Molars" girlie magazines.

Then Sudden Link bought out Cox and they dropped League Pass without telling anyone. So when I called to sign up again, they give me the news.

Fuck Sudden Link.

If I recall, the real reason you were furious is that they weren't carrying the Brad Pitt Channel.

Any way, betw Aggie season tickets and other commitments, I do nt miss watching every Spurs game like I thought I would. I might get DirecTv after college season is over.

Oh, rrrrrreally? I don't ever recall us discussing this, hotshot. If you want DirecTV back, there's going to have to be a few "extras" performed around the house. :eyebrows

RonMexico
12-07-2006, 07:40 PM

:depressed

Honestly, I can't believe they did that - but if you have a friend with League Pass, you can use his NBA.com log-in information and stream every game online... if your friend lets you do that. That's what I'm doing from Houston this year for my CS buddies.