PDA

View Full Version : Gym Memberships

MannyIsGod
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I have some questions for some of you who have gym memberships.

1) Are there any that are 24 hours?
2) Are there any with pools?
3) Are there any with Basketball Courts.

Also, how much do you guys pay for your memberships? Are you happy with them?

Thanks!

tlongII
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

Manny must not be getting much exercise while playing on-line poker all day.

midgetonadonkey
12-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I exercise.

midgetonadonkey
I exercise.

:lmao

johnsmith

Thanks!

Gold's Gyms are 24 hours and are easily the cheapest in town. Some have basketball courts and pools, some don't, the one I'm a member at has both (forum location). Having said that, the customer service at this Gold's and every Gold's I've ever been a member at is abolutely terrible, their is no towel service, the people don't clean up, and the gym generally attracts more meatheads then any other gym in town. $50 for a couple/month on a 1 year contract.

Spectrums are a little more expensive but in my opinion have better service and frankly better layouts to their gyms. A couple will run you around $70 a month. Again, some have courts and pools, some don't, just call around.

Lifetime Fitness ranges from about $85 - $120 a month and is easily the nicest gym in town, it has everything (even a restaraunt). Having said that, there is only one of them in town but I hear there are plans for a couple more. Also 24 hours.

I hate Bally's and everything about them.

Then you have your small gyms sporadically located throughout town, these are usually my favorite types but there aren't any convenient ones to where I live.

Oh, and when signing up, refuse to pay an initiation fee, processing fee, or whatever they call it. They can sign you up just fine without paying for one of these, even if they pretend they can't.

12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I've been real happy (and so has the wife) with Lifetime Fitness (http://www.lifetimefitness.com/)

And they do have all three requirements you're looking for.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm going to cancel my Gold's and re-sign up at Spectrum until Lifetime builds something out in the Schertz/Cibolo area.

midgetonadonkey
12-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I lift weights.

midgetonadonkey
12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I lift weights.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
If you are signing up, look at the little things, not the big ones. It's the little things that will drive you nuts.

Do they have towel service?
Are there personal televisions on the cardio equipment?
How old are the weights and weight equipment?
If they have a basketball court, what's the age of the people playing? Nothing is worse then playing with a bunch of High School kids that argue and fight the entire damn time.
If it has a pool, is it clean?
Are the locker rooms adequate size that you don't have to stand three inches from "fat old naked guy"?
Are the weights picked up?
Are the employees friendly?

01Snake
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
It all depends on where you live and if you will simply only workout at a particular gym all the time. I travel a lot and am in other states for months at a time. Due to this, I bought a membership at a gym with locations nationwide. Whip out my card and I can walk into any Ballys in the country.

If you're simply working out in SA, you could simply get a Spectrum membership as they are all over town. The new Lifetime Fitness is suppose to be rediculously nice but monthly dues are pretty steep. Most of the newer gyms have pools and basketball courts. As far as being open 24/7, I don't come across many that are.

If you are intrested in a Ballys membership, look on Ebay for one. People are selling them all the time and you can get one that offers as low as $12 per month. I paid about $250 for mine of Ebay but its guranteed to never go over $12 per months for life.

MannyIsGod
12-06-2006, 01:16 PM
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

Manny must not be getting much exercise while playing on-line poker all day.I have strong fingers.

tlongII
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
L.A. Fitness just built a facility near where I work. It looks very nice, but I don't think I could get past its affiliation with L.A..

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Learn to use me as a resource. :lol

http://sanantonio.about.com/od/recreationfitness/tp/healthclubs.htm

PM5K
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Hmmm....

Doesn't mention prices....

JackLalanne
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
You really don't need to throw your money away for a gym membership. I've built my great body using standard excercises such as sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, chin-ups, squats and plenty of stretching and of course.....fresh squeezed juices using only the freshest ingredients and since you are into organic foods you should do just fine and save your money for poker.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Hmmm....

Doesn't mention prices....

For some of them it does. The others vary a lot by what membership you get.

PM5K
12-06-2006, 02:21 PM
For some of them it does. The others vary a lot by what membership you get.

hmmm...

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Well, according to that, none of the clubs have any downside. Join all of them.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, according to that, none of the clubs have any downside. Join all of them.

Crowded, no amenities, etc doesn't seem ideal for everyone to me :lol

I know you are just being an ass, but I provided the link as a joke because I wrote it.

PM5K
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM

I know you are just being an ass, but I provided the link as a joke because I wrote it.

Why did you consider it a joke....

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM

Can you be a little bit more "truthful" about these places when you write for "about". Maybe not truthful but can you be more negative about some, or do they frown upon that in your writings? I'm not trying to be an ass on this one either, just asking.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Why did you consider it a joke....

It was a joke that I was pimping myself. That's all. When I do full reviews of all the gyms, then that would actually provide the info Manny is looking for. That article is just a basic overview -- basic info but not the specifics he's looking for from people.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Can you be a little bit more "truthful" about these places when you write for "about". Maybe not truthful but can you be more negative about some, or do they frown upon that in your writings? I'm not trying to be an ass on this one either, just asking.

Yes we can right full reviews on places in separate articles and be as positive or negative as need be. What I wrote wasn't untruthful, it just provided basic information about each place.

johnsmith
12-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes we can right full reviews on places in separate articles and be as positive or negative as need be. What I wrote wasn't untruthful, it just provided basic information about each place.

Right, I understand that it was just for basic info. I didn't know you wrote full reviews as well so that's why I was asking.

Whenever you do, if you need info on gyms, I've been a member at damn near everyone in town and if they were a chain (like Spectrum or Gold's), I've been to them all.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Right, I understand that it was just for basic info. I didn't know you wrote full reviews as well so that's why I was asking.

Whenever you do, if you need info on gyms, I've been a member at damn near everyone in town and if they were a chain (like Spectrum or Gold's), I've been to them all.

Yeah I just started writing for them six weeks ago. We can do reviews on everything events, restaurants, stores, etc. But they want you to write all the basics first during your first 3 months and then you can go do all that. They get you press access to events, etc. When I do gyms, I will let you know. Thanks.

dirk4mvp
12-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I workout at school.

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
i get a total workout at home, workin on one muscle only, that fuckn flacid in me jocks...

1Parker1
12-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks!

I've been a member at Bally's for three years now almost. It is not open 24 hours, but they do have really long hours like 6am-11pm on weekdays, so it's still pretty good. They also have a pool, jacuzzi, and sauna. No basketball courts though, only raquetball.

I pay $30 a month and I can't say I'm happy with my membership. Everyone says LA Fitness is about 10x better since it's larger and has better machines.

SpursWoman
12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I've been a member at Bally's for three years now almost. It is not open 24 hours, but they do have really long hours like 6am-11pm on weekdays, so it's still pretty good. They also have a pool, jacuzzi, and sauna. No basketball courts though, only raquetball.

I pay $30 a month and I can't say I'm happy with my membership. Everyone says LA Fitness is about 10x better since it's larger and has better machines.

I paid off my Ballys several years ago, and now only pay a $7/mo maintenance so I'm not cancelling it. We have a Gold's membership, too (at the forum) and it's okay as far as gyms go.

Trainwreck2100
12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I go to the Concord, it's kinda pricey, but there is a court and a pool and the only bad thing I can say about it, is that it isn't 24 hours

SequSpur
12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I just dropped my kids off at the pool.

MannyIsGod
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Your kids or the Cosby kids? :lol

MannyIsGod
12-06-2006, 11:12 PM
24 hours is almost a must for me. I keep odd hours.

Neutral Guy
12-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I also can't decide on which gym to joint. So many choices. I'd lean towards any that has the most eye-candy.

dirk4Mvp_
12-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I have nice strong arms/hands. For some reason, my right hand is much stronger than my left. :)

SequSpur
12-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Your kids or the Cosby kids? :lol

SequSpur
12-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I have nice strong arms/hands. For some reason, my right hand is much stronger than my left. :)

Interesting, my right hand is strong, but my left hand sometimes feels like someone elses.

I need a gym.

tlongII
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I just dropped my kids off at the pool.

I took the Browns to the Super Bowl.

kobe_bryant
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
is there going to be a vbookie on when manny cancels his membership?

ShoogarBear
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Join the Army.

It comes with a free gym membership.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Does the Army need poker players?

Lady Marmalade
12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Don't sign up to Bally's. My boyfriend is a debt collector and they hold you accountable because of your contract that you sign and you can only cancel within like 3 days of getting your memebership. CRAZY

Style. Defined.
12-07-2006, 06:08 PM
The gym where I work out has less riff raff than other gyms because of its high cost. It's open from 1pm-1:45pm. The equipment is coated in gold and every shower has a chandelier.

1Parker1
12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I paid off my Ballys several years ago, and now only pay a $7/mo maintenance so I'm not cancelling it. We have a Gold's membership, too (at the forum) and it's okay as far as gyms go.

Did you like Bally's?

SpursWoman
12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Did you like Bally's?

I've never had any problems there ... and it didn't hurt that a hottie ex-crush I had in high school was the PT manager and gave me tons of free personal training sessions. :cooldevil

I also really, really liked 2 people that they had teaching the kickboxing & spinning classes ... but neither of them are there anymore. :(

Now that we just moved into a bigger house, though, I have a spare bedroom with my Bowflex & my elliptical trainer in it ... so that's pretty much where my workouts take place. For free. :lol

ShoogarBear
12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
so that's pretty much where my workouts take place. I call bullshit.

SpursWoman
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I call bullshit.

At least you left off the "For free." part. :lol :lol :angel

1Parker1
12-07-2006, 07:25 PM
I've never had any problems there ... and it didn't hurt that a hottie ex-crush I had in high school was the PT manager and gave me tons of free personal training sessions. :cooldevil

I also really, really liked 2 people that they had teaching the kickboxing & spinning classes ... but neither of them are there anymore. :(

Now that we just moved into a bigger house, though, I have a spare bedroom with my Bowflex & my elliptical trainer in it ... so that's pretty much where my workouts take place. For free. :lol

Lucky. I hate Bally's personally. They offer crap classes, and they just added classes like Yoga and Pilates, but get this....you have to pay an additional $3 per class for those classes. :wtf

:lol I'll admit, the trainers are pretty hot. In fact, that's the whole damn reason I got sucked into joining it for a 3 year contract in the first place. I just went in for a tour and some information, and they got a hot Trainer to give me the tour and I fell for his stupid charm :pctoss

But as soon as my contract expires, I'm switching to LA Fitness! (Until I can afford a home gym of my own).

Das Texan
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I have Gold's.

Too bad I rarely go there, because there isnt one anywhere near me in the Cleburne, Burleson, Ft Worth area.

I never had a problem with them, though there are their fair share of meatheads that come there, but being on the southside...not as many.

Mrs.Jimcs50
12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I asked Jim for a membership to an athletic club. He gave me a coupon to the driving range. :madrun

SpursWoman
12-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Lucky. I hate Bally's personally. They offer crap classes, and they just added classes like Yoga and Pilates, but get this....you have to pay an additional $3 per class for those classes. :wtf

:lol I'll admit, the trainers are pretty hot. In fact, that's the whole damn reason I got sucked into joining it for a 3 year contract in the first place. I just went in for a tour and some information, and they got a hot Trainer to give me the tour and I fell for his stupid charm :pctoss

But as soon as my contract expires, I'm switching to LA Fitness! (Until I can afford a home gym of my own).

They just got those classes? They've had Pilates & Yoga, kickboxing, spinning, salsa/aerobic dancing, step, and several others here forever ... we used to have to pay extra, but now they've made them free. (well, everything but Pilates). They even had that class made up on that Donald Trump reality show.

I got the super-membership when I joined in 2000 ... so after the 3 years it started out as only $5/mo maintenance.

I think the only thing that bugged me is/was the weird daycare hours ... although my kids are getting old enough not to have to go there anyway so it's not that big of a deal anymore.

1Parker1
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
They just got those classes? They've had Pilates & Yoga, kickboxing, spinning, salsa/aerobic dancing, step, and several others here forever ... we used to have to pay extra, but now they've made them free. (well, everything but Pilates). They even had that class made up on that Donald Trump reality show.

I got the super-membership when I joined in 2000 ... so after the 3 years it started out as only $5/mo maintenance.

I think the only thing that bugged me is/was the weird daycare hours ... although my kids are getting old enough not to have to go there anyway so it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Wow, Daycare? The two Bally's that are near me don't have daycare, maybe it's just the Bally's in Philly that suck :lol. Also, they neverhad any of those classes, they just started them. Before we'd just have general classes like Tao-Kwon Dao, Aerobics, and Step.

ObiwanGinobili
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks!

yes. yes. yes.

I pay $19 a month (employer discount) Gold's Gym, I cna use anyone in the city (in the country actually). the one down the street form me is 24hrs, it has a basketball court. The one 5 blocks from me has a pool.

I like it. I like it alot. Very happy.

we used to have Bally's but I hate all the windows, and the daycare was never open when we would go. Or it wa sopposed to be open but there would be noone there to wath the kids, or on the odd chance someone was there - they had way too many kids (like 9 and 1 adult). Also they were more expensive.

ObiwanGinobili
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM

Billy Cobham
12-08-2006, 03:05 PM
NIKE WORLD HEADQUARTERS | 1 Bowerton Drive, Beaverton, Oregon

Snag one of the 5,000 jobs at Nike's World Headquarters just for this perk: The campus has two sports centers totaling nearly 110,000 square feet. Also open to employees' families, the centers feature free weights, cardio equipment, free fitness assessments, 2,800 square feet of climbing walls, a 25-meter lap pool, more than 100 weekly group fitness classes in eight studios, as well as racquetball, squash and basketball courts. The company's commitment to fitness doesn't end indoors. You can schedule playtime on the outdoor sand volleyball court, multiuse grass field, turf field and basketball and tennis courts. Need a midday break from your cubicle? Go for a run on the outdoor track, constructed out of (what else?) recycled shoes.

Dues: $40 per month (individual); $85 per month (family, including spouse or partner and dependents under 23 years old). Contact: nikebiz.com

--Jeanine Detz

ShoogarBear
12-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I wonder what happens if you go to their gym in addidas or New Balance gear.

Billy Cobham
12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I wonder what happens if you go to their gym in addidas or New Balance gear.

You won't be there long. :lol

ShoogarBear
12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Would they really throw you out? :lol

Might make for an interesting lawsuit.

Billy Cobham
12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Would they really throw you out? :lol

Might make for an interesting lawsuit.

Probably not. You would definitely get an earful though. I would definitely not want to see Phil Knight on campus while wearing some adidas gear.

Mrs.Tlong
12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
NIKE WORLD HEADQUARTERS | 1 Bowerton Drive, Beaverton, Oregon

Snag one of the 5,000 jobs at Nike's World Headquarters just for this perk: The campus has two sports centers totaling nearly 110,000 square feet. Also open to employees' families, the centers feature free weights, cardio equipment, free fitness assessments, 2,800 square feet of climbing walls, a 25-meter lap pool, more than 100 weekly group fitness classes in eight studios, as well as racquetball, squash and basketball courts. The company's commitment to fitness doesn't end indoors. You can schedule playtime on the outdoor sand volleyball court, multiuse grass field, turf field and basketball and tennis courts. Need a midday break from your cubicle? Go for a run on the outdoor track, constructed out of (what else?) recycled shoes.

Dues: $40 per month (individual); $85 per month (family, including spouse or partner and dependents under 23 years old). Contact: nikebiz.com

--Jeanine Detz

What?? :pctoss Tlong told me it was for employee's only! He's always trying to keep me at home - thats it! Tomarrow I am marching my wolly ass down there, looking forward to the "multi-use grass field" :hungry:

ShoogarBear
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
looking forward to the "multi-use grass field" :hungry::lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao