PDA

View Full Version : Dallas City Council Votes to Keep Details of Sports Celebrations Quiet

LEONARD
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
LOL...4-1 vote...who's the 1 moron??? :lol

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/120606dnmetnoparade.340d7cc.html

After Mavs, Dallas will conceal its fete

'Victory' rally netted outrage, so city votes to guard future details

11:45 PM CST on Tuesday, December 5, 2006
By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Stupid. Moronic. Idiotic.

These were among the milder terms indignant Dallas Mavericks fans used to describe city officials who announced the specifics of a victory rally after the team built a 2-0 lead over the Miami Heat in the 2006 NBA Finals. Four games later, the Mavs and the rally plans were undone.

Hoping to avoid such a predicament again, the Dallas City Council's public safety committee voted 4-1 Tuesday to support keeping the details of major sports celebrations quiet until the Dallas team in contention actually wins something.

Upon passage by the full council, the policy would direct city staff to stop briefing the council on event preparations – routine for years – and to quit making public announcements until after Tony Romo raises the Lombardi Trophy or Mike Modano hoists the Stanley Cup.

Such a policy could have spared city officials the ire of Mavs fans after the Heat won the NBA title, four games to two.

"Personally, I was vilified. I was threatened," said Office of Special Events manager Celia Barshop, who conducted the fateful tell-all celebration news conference in June – and immediately became the bane of talk radio and bloggers' hoop dreams. "There is a negative impact to the team, as felt by all of us."

The new policy would align with city practices for other major public events, such as parades and marches. The city largely determines the location, route and security measures for such events in private.

The city in 1993 made planning for sports celebrations a decidedly public process. Revelers nearly rioted after the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl XXVII, and police arrested dozens of them. Current policy mandates that staff members brief the council's public safety committee at least 45 days before a team's first potential playoff date. It also requires city staff to make public a team's requests for a victory celebration.

Ms. Barshop says she'll release event information to the news media upon request; she just doesn't want to volunteer it. The last thing she wants to do is jinx a Dallas team or provide an opponent with bulletin board fodder, she said.

"As long as it's still an early, transparent process, I don't have a problem," said council member Ron Natinsky, who voted for the policy change.

"It brings uniformity to the process, and it makes sense," Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Elba Garcia added.

If and when a Dallas team wins another championship, "the very next day, we'll go to press with all the details," Ms. Barshop said.

Mixability
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
There's a couple "ifs" to the equation.

IF the Mavs ever get to the Finals again, IF they were to win.

SAtown
12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
LMAO at Dallas. Best thread ever.

LEONARD
12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
There's a couple "ifs" to the equation.

IF the Mavs ever get to the Finals again, IF they were to win.

Actually, I think it came out now because the Cowboys are rolling...

SAtown
12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Actually, I think it came out now because the Cowboys are rolling...

Sooooo, they're going to jinx the Cowboys as well? :nope

PM5K
12-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing....

LEONARD
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Sooooo, they're going to jinx the Cowboys as well? :nope

Maybe...if this vote acknowledges that they're already thinking about a Cowboys parade... :lol

StylisticS
12-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Was this really published. Must have been a slow news day in the metroplex. :lol

LEONARD
12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Was this really published. Must have been a slow news day in the metroplex. :lol

Front page of DMN

Trainwreck2100
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
It's impossible to get the logistics together without talking to cops/business owners/transit systems, so this is just stupid

dallasmavsnfuego214
12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Bill is gonna make sure Romo doesnt see this

maxpower
12-06-2006, 10:45 PM
So....they actually had to vote on this?!!?

No real issues like crime, poverty or pork barrel projects the council could be glossing over?

LEONARD
12-07-2006, 09:30 AM
It's impossible to get the logistics together without talking to cops/business owners/transit systems, so this is just stupid

Of course...they're just saying they won't announce the plans ahead of time. Plans will have to be made prior to a championship...it's like that in every city...

Spurminator
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I can't believe it's come to this.

People are stupid.

thispego
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
AHHHhabhahahahahah, awesome

CBF said that all the mavs fans chodes were EXPLODING when they had a 2-0 lead in the finals... how many of those eggs actually hatched and became chickens, again?? :shootme :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :rollin

LEONARD
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
AHHHhabhahahahahah, awesome

CBF said that all the mavs fans chodes were EXPLODING when they had a 2-0 lead in the finals... how many of those eggs actually hatched and became chickens, again?? :shootme :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :rollin

Huh?? Who said that ALL Mavs fans thought what???

thispego
12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Cant be Faded moved up to Dalls about a year ago and regailed us with tales of mavericks flags, signs, etc. He said the radio, coworkers, random strangers were all claiming victory when the series went back to miami.Most everyone in Dallas promptly jumped on the bandwagon, only to jump off running when it ended 4-2 in favor of miami.

He said that when he got up for work the next morning, it was as if nothing had happened, no more signs, flags, car window paint, nothing. Pretty funny stuff from my point of view

thispego
12-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Such a policy could have spared city officials the ire of Mavs fans after the Heat won the NBA title, four games to two.

"Personally, I was vilified. I was threatened," said Office of Special Events manager Celia Barshop, who conducted the fateful tell-all celebration news conference in June – and immediately became the bane of talk radio and bloggers' hoop dreams. "There is a negative impact to the team, as felt by all of us."
:lol lololol, classic
dumb broad

LEONARD
12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Cant be Faded moved up to Dalls about a year ago and regailed us with tales of mavericks flags, signs, etc. He said the radio, coworkers, random strangers were all claiming victory when the series went back to miami.Most everyone in Dallas promptly jumped on the bandwagon, only to jump off running when it ended 4-2 in favor of miami.

He said that when he got up for work the next morning, it was as if nothing had happened, no more signs, flags, car window paint, nothing. Pretty funny stuff from my point of view

Oh ok, well that's some solid proof there... :lol

The sports station I listen to called out the City of Dallas for announcing parade plans and put out a jinx'd warning as soon as it happened...

and I don't recall seeing many Mavs banners and signs around at the time...there's nothing more lame than sticking a flag for your sports team on your car anyway... :lol

Of course Mavs fans were feeling pretty good about being up 2-0, but anybody that thought it was over was an idiot...

timvp
12-07-2006, 07:17 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5592/dallasmavericks1ns.jpg

MannyIsGod
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5592/dallasmavericks1ns.jpgOh shit...

:lmao

phyzik
12-07-2006, 08:37 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5592/dallasmavericks1ns.jpg

OMFG!!! :rollin

THE SIXTH MAN
12-08-2006, 01:27 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

ponky
12-08-2006, 01:40 AM
that map is pretty fucking hilarious

thispego