PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' defense puts clamps on Bobcats

Kori Ellis
12-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Spurs' defense puts clamps on Bobcats

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120706.01C.BKNspurs.bobcats.gamer.2bd836a.html

Web Posted: 12/06/2006 09:45 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Bruce Bowen shut down Adam Morrison and Tim Duncan scored 11 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter as the Spurs beat Charlotte 96-76 Wednesday night at Bobcats Arena.

Morrison had scored 27 points – the most by any rookie this season – when the Bobcats beat the Spurs 95-92 in overtime on Nov. 15 at the AT&T Center. He scored just four in the rematch, two of which came on a pair of free throws late in the game, long after Bowen had retired to the bench for the evening.

Morrison made only one of his 10 shots.

"It's like Pavlov's dog," Brent Barry said. "Bruce saw him once and that's all it took for him to figure a few things out. …Not that I'm calling Bruce a dog."

Manu Ginobili also sunk his teeth into Morrison while scoring 13 points off the bench. Michael Finley added 11 and Tony Parker and Barry contributed 10 apiece.

At Charlotte's shootaround Wednesday morning, coach Bernie Bickerstaff warned his players the Spurs hadn't forgotten the loss. That, he said, meant the Bobcats better play hard if they didn't want to be embarrassed like Golden State was two nights earlier.

The Spurs didn't need another reminder of the loss, but the Bobcats gave them one anyway. Just before tipoff the overhead scoreboard showed a replay from the game of Emeka Okafor blocking Duncan at the rim.

Duncan provided some more footage for Charlotte's year-end highlight video in the first quarter, missing three dunks and two layups. He saved his best for last, scoring 11 points in the fourth quarter.

"I think him missing a couple of those early dunks lit a fire under him," Barry said.

The Spurs held Charlotte without a basket for more than five minutes in the first half, allowing them to erase a seven-point deficit and surge ahead.

Morrison only two points and five shots in the first half.

The Bobcats lost point guard Brevin Knight early in the third quarter when he was ejected by official Tony Brothers. Brothers gave Knight his first technical for complaining about a non-call. The second came a couple of minutes later after Knight threw a towel during a timeout.

Bickerstaff put Walter Herrmann on Ginobili in the third quarter, likely thinking the Argentine forward knew something about guarding his friend and countryman. Herrmann, however, didn't have any answers, either.

Ginobili faked Herrmann right then went left, down the middle of the lane for a layup. On the next possession, he blew past Herrmann, twisted his body to absorb a foul from Okafor and made a reverse layup.

"That was real simple," Bickerstaff said. "San Antonio came in to prove a point."

boutons_
12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
"Just before tipoff the overhead scoreboard showed a replay from the game of Emeka Okafor blocking Duncan at the rim."

Then the crowd must have enjoyed Tim missing 3 dunks in the first qtr, and getting blocked a couple times.

Sometimes I see Tim do stuff (some of his "shots" don't merit the name, nor do they merit going in, but a few do), or he gets stuff done to him, and I ask "what was he thinking?"

TDMVPDPOY
12-07-2006, 10:02 AM
rolfmao at barrys comment on bruce hahahahaha

Solid D
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, it was sad but humorous. Tim looked like he was trying too hard to make a statement with strong finishes and he couldn't dunk with one hand. Finally, Manu served him up with a nice lead pass down the throat of the lane and Timmy flushed it with a more comfortable "two-hander". :lol Then later, Elson missed a "Flying Dutchman" dunk. Crazy night - 4 blown dunks.

Even though Timmy looked bad on those dunks, it was encouraging to see him go away from being passive or giving-in to post pressure. When Tim isn't physical, he usually shoots fall-aways, and he isn't very good at fall-aways. I think he (normally) finishes his shots better when he's leaning in and/or drawing the foul.

boutons_
12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
"he isn't very good at fall-aways."

nope, very evident last night, hitting limply on the front rim. He doesn't have the arm/hand strength of a Boozer or a Dream to flick them in. Too bad, it's a damn unstoppable shot, esp from a 7-footer (eg, Dirk, Dream).

LilMissSPURfect
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
teaching SHOT blocker EMEKA a lesson with the UP and Under was Sweet....too!

2 points no matter how it goes in ehy?
:toast

boutons_
12-07-2006, 10:44 AM
"UP and Under"

a great finesse move.

Not that he ever had any power movers, Tim, in his old age, will need to rediscover finesse he was so famous far a few years ago, rather than dribbling into the paint and heavy traffic.

dimsah
12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I can't stand that Patrick Ewing shot he does. Drive into the lane with the left hand
with the defender on his right, and then attempt to shoot with the right hand?
He get's that blocked so often as did Ewing.

boutons_
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Tim is as damn near as right-handed-only as Manu is left-handed-only.

FromWayDowntown
12-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Hater stat of the night:

Tony Parker -5
Beno Udrih +25

1Parker1
12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
"It's like Pavlov's dog," Brent Barry said. "Bruce saw him once and that's all it took for him to figure a few things out. …Not that I'm calling Bruce a dog."

:lmao Barry is hilarious. He must be a great guy to have in the lockerroom.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I like how Spurs anticipated and adjusted for the Morrison guy. Heh, they sure humbled him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
They didn't really adjust for Morrison. Bowen sees a guy once and usually has him figured out the second time around unless he's a freak athletically (like Lebron).