PDA

View Full Version : That Must Be Some Shirt!

Nbadan
12-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Faced with public demonstrations of discontent by its employees, Wal-Mart Stores has developed a wide-ranging new program intended to show that it appreciates its 1.3 million workers in the United States and to encourage them to air their grievances.

As part of the effort, Wal-Mart managers at 4,000 stores will meet with 10 rank-and-file workers every week and extend an additional 10 percent discount on a single item during the holidays to all its employees, beyond the normal 10 percent employee discount.

The program, described in an internal company document, was created during a volatile six months period, starting when the company instituted a set of sweeping changes in how it managed its workers. Over that time, Wal-Mart has sought to create a cheaper, more flexible labor force by capping wages, using more part-time employees, scheduling more workers at nights and weekends, and cracking down on unexcused days off.

The program includes several new perks “as a way of saying thank you” to workers, like a special polo shirt after 20 years of service and a “premium holiday,” when Wal-Mart pays a portion of health insurance premiums for covered employees. Sarah Clark, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, said the program was a “a more formalized, contemporary approach” to communicating with and collecting feedback from its fast-growing work force

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/business/04walmart.html?ei=5094&en=c48ef983e832fdb5&hp=&ex=1165294800&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print)

A one-time 20% discount for employees in December.

:lmao

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2006, 01:24 AM
NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/business/04walmart.html?ei=5094&en=c48ef983e832fdb5&hp=&ex=1165294800&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print)

A one-time 20% discount for employees in December.

:lmao

Not just a 20% discount, but it's just for a SINGLE item.

PixelPusher
12-07-2006, 01:28 AM
:lol This will be topic #1 next time I call my brother (he works for WallyWorld).

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Also my deepest apologies to anyone at Wal Mart for 2 years let alone 20.

101A
12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
This just in:

The United States Supreme Court has ruled that Wal-Mart does, in fact, have the right to continue to hold a gun to the head of each an every employee, forcing them to keep showing up and drawing a paycheck.

johnsmith
12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
This just in:

The United States Supreme Court has ruled that Wal-Mart does, in fact, have the right to continue to hold a gun to the head of each an every employee, forcing them to keep showing up and drawing a paycheck.

:lol :lol :lol

01Snake
12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
This just in:

:lol No shit. You would think these people at Wally Martinez were MBA grads who were simply being overworked and underpaid.

xrayzebra
12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
I think it so unfair of Wal-Mart to continue to hire people who want the job. Why
I saw an older person like myself being so mis-treated, they were standing at the
door making sure you had a shopping cart. Now you know that has got to be
one hard job.

And I can barely stand it when I go there to shop and hear those bull whips snapping
and tearing into the flesh of all the poor workers.

And I especially hate those low prices. Why sometimes I am tempted to give them
an extra ten per cent because I feel so bad. And I just know everyone wants
them to go back up on their prices at their pharmacies. Don't you?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
This just in:

If WalMart hadn't driven so many small-town independent businesses into bankruptcy perhaps there wouldn't be so many folks forced to accept WalMart's crappy jobs in rural America.

WalMart sucks.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I saw an older person like myself being so mis-treated, they were standing at the
door making sure you had a shopping cart.They're making sure you don't steal anything.

clambake
12-07-2006, 01:06 PM
No, they're standing there to give you a glimpse into the future of what to expect in the last years of your life. Eventually, we will all meet at Walmart.

101A
12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
If WalMart hadn't driven so many small-town independent businesses into bankruptcy perhaps there wouldn't be so many folks forced to accept WalMart's crappy jobs in rural America.

WalMart sucks.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart; hate the crowds, and much of there stuff is crap.

However, it IS NOT Wal-Mart that forced those businesses out; it was people who stopped shopping at those businesses - I don't like it, but it's the way it is. Can't blame Wal-Mart for giving people what they want, and what they want is low prices - ALWAYS.

101A
12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh, and nobody got rich working for the local mom & pop store, either. Wal Mart pays about the same as other businesses in retail for the same job. They're just bigger.

2centsworth
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM

WalMart sucks.
it's the consumer that drives business.

2centsworth
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
not defending wal-mart but anything more than a 20% discount is almost free.

01Snake
12-07-2006, 02:37 PM

:tu

DarkReign
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
I hate WalMart, but feel no sympathy for Americans who work there.

I dont shop there, never will again.

101A
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM

That's two in this thread alone who have mentioned this; I hear it more and more. Five years ago? Nobody had a problem....the market corrects itself.

xrayzebra
12-07-2006, 03:50 PM

WalMart sucks.

If small-town merchants had not marked their goods out of sight in price,
and maybe not been so independent they would still be in business. Many
stores have stayed in business because they gave the customers what
they wanted.

And they didn't hire that many locals in their business. Most were family
owned and payed extremely low wages.

xrayzebra
12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I hate WalMart, but feel no sympathy for Americans who work there.

What is wrong with the above quote: Don't or never will again? Something
just doesn't compute.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Why do you hate small businesses?

spurster
12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
There used to be loyalty between employers and employees, at least a substantial percentage of the time. Nowadays, employees are costs to be eliminated if possible, especially employees in danger of getting raises or retiring with benefits or becoming uppity.

A shirt after 20 years! What employee wouldn't be loyal after that! Willing to work any night shift after that!

Guru of Nothing
12-07-2006, 11:38 PM

Small brains and clever marketing drives business.

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
What is wrong with the above quote: Don't or never will again? Something
just doesn't compute.

Chalk it up to bad Ingrish.

Basically, I used to stop in and get some odds and ends when I first set out on my own. But with all the hoopla and some research into the company and exactly how they keep their prices so low, I stopped buying anything from there about 4 years ago.

xrayzebra
12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Important notice about Wal-Mart prices. They had Poinsettias on sale yesterday
at $2.50 a plant, really nice, I bought three of them. The look nice on the
dinning room table and fireplace. Also found some nice blankets, full size, for
$4.88. They will do for company and as throws in the living room on cool days.

Funny thing also, does anyone remember being posted on the "Club" an item about
a laptop for 499.00 I think it was. Seems some of our "political" posters were
chomping at the bit to go get one.

But I am serious about the plants. Sheeesssh, everywhere else I have looked
they were sky high.

sandman
12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
:lol No shit. You would think these people at Wally Martinez were MBA grads who were simply being overworked and underpaid.

Actually, a good friend of mine is a corporate lawyer for Walmart and is constantly in some nether region of the world on business trips.

Not everyone who works for Walmart is a checker at the local store.

johnsmith
12-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Actually, a good friend of mine is a corporate lawyer for Walmart and is constantly in some nether region of the world on business trips.

Not everyone who works for Walmart is a checker at the local store.

Corporate lawyer for Walmar, I bet that guy is damn near broke.

sandman
12-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Corporate lawyer for Walmar, I bet that guy is damn near broke.

I think SHE is doing more international trade work than litigation work.

If living in Champions is damn near broke, I want to be lawyer for Walmart! :lol

johnsmith
12-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I think SHE is doing more international trade work than litigation work.

If living in Champions is damn near broke, I want to be lawyer for Walmart! :lol

I thought it was common knowledge around here, blue font is sarcasm.

01Snake
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Walmart is the most sue company in the world. (so I've heard)

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I thought it was common knowledge around here, blue font is sarcasm.

For people with 1000+ posts it is.