PDA

View Full Version : Why Ignore?

johnsmith
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Ok, I know that Chump doesn't like threads started that are directed towards an individual poster, as this is pretty much directed to Boutons, but I have to ask, why ignore? Now, knowing that I'm one of MANY on his ignore list, he'll probably not read this anyway, so let's get some other opinions.

I was gone for about two weeks and didn't post, when I came back, I took Boutons off my ignore list because it dawned on me that if you ignore others and only post your own thoughts without debate then you are essentially making a website that is "supposed" to be for debate and argument and turning it into your own personal blog in which the only other opinions you read are ones that agree with your point of view.

Rarely do we see an argument with Boutons such as we do with Chump, Clambake, Yoni, Xray, etc, because he's only reading posts by those that agree with him, or at least lean further left then they do right. I just don't get the reason for this.

Someone give me their opinion on why you'd do this. Or should I just shutup and get over it? Either way, opinions are requested.

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I have been posting on forums for well over 6 years and have never once used the ignore feature.

Its just stupid IMO.

101A
12-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I can't see any posts in this thread, what gives?

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
lol

velik_m
12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I used the ignore feature on Mav trolls this playoffs, because reading their garbage was waste of time. Otherwise i don't like any form of cenzorship.

xrayzebra
12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I have been posting on forums for well over 6 years and have never once used the ignore feature.

Its just stupid IMO.

I agree with you DR. Ignore proves nothing and I have been told many
times I am on someones ignore list. So what, I still post and enjoy those
that want to exchange a little give and take with me.

I doubt I have changed many people mind on any particular subject,
and rest assured no one has changed my mind, as all can tell...... :lol

johnsmith
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with you DR. Ignore proves nothing and I have been told many
times I am on someones ignore list. So what, I still post and enjoy those
that want to exchange a little give and take with me.

I doubt I have changed many people mind on any particular subject,
and rest assured no one has changed my mind, as all can tell...... :lol

See, that's what I'm saying, if you are only "giving a little", then what are you really doing?

I would argue that Boutons is no different in this regard as the very people he claims to hate so much.

clambake
12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure I agree JS. With most post, you can almost predict a Boutons explosion to the second.

So how about it, Boutons? have anybody on ignore?

boutons_
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
my ignore list is very long.

non-spurs trolls get about 3 shitty posts, and plonk. No shit, no plonk, yes, it possible, eg, JMJohns and similar good non-Spurs posters.

politics forum cretins get the same treatment.

I also have sigs and avatars off, what a bunch of repetitive, screen filling cartoony crap. except when the bravatars are on duty! :lol

smeagol
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't like the ignore feature either.

Never used it.

FromWayDowntown
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I have myself on ignore.

Yonivore
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Some posters add nothing of value to a discussion. Indeed, many believe I add nothing of value to a discussion. I'm neither offended nor bothered by people who have me on ignore. In fact, I don't even have a clue if I am on anyone's ignore list.

I use the ignore feature to clear the clutter of what I consider to be nonsense from a thread. When I had Nbadan on ignore, some of the threads went from 5 pages to 1. It was amazing.

For me, it's a matter of economy. I really don't want to waste my time reading bouton's crap and I can't imagine anyone who does. So, ignore gives me the opportunity to tune him out...uh, ignore him.

I invite you to do the same to those -- including me -- whose opinions you do not value at all.

Bon lecture!

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Even the opinions I do not value are left un-ignored.

Its a purity thing for me. This is an internet forum, it attracts all comers, even the nut-jobs. Read their posts with the source in mind, and you may just chuckle instead of cringe.

Humor without trying to be funny is the grandest form of entertainment.

But thats just me.

Yonivore
12-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Even the opinions I do not value are left un-ignored.

Its a purity thing for me. This is an internet forum, it attracts all comers, even the nut-jobs. Read their posts with the source in mind, and you may just chuckle instead of cringe.

Humor without trying to be funny is the grandest form of entertainment.

But thats just me.
I don't disagree. But, you can only laugh at the same joke so many times.

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't disagree. But, you can only laugh at the same joke so many times.

lol. True.

PixelPusher
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I can't see any posts in this thread, what gives?
dammit. You beat me to that joke. :lol

Never have, never will use the ignore feature. I will use my scroll wheel on my mouse on occasion.

Yonivore
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I used the ignore feature on Mav trolls this playoffs, because reading their garbage was waste of time. Otherwise i don't like any form of cenzorship.
Well, what's a waste of time for you with respect to Mav trolls could be true with others regarding some of the other trolls that inhabit this board.

xrayzebra
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
^^That's what works for me too PP. Read a couple of lines on some posters and
you know what the rest says. Dan gets carried away at times with all his
cut and paste stuff, as we all do. But sometimes even his stuff is interesting.
boutons, well, if you could cut out the cuss words there wouldn't be much of his
post left. Although, at times he does speak in a coherent form, not often but
occasionally. I often wonder how he acts in person in a mixed crowd.

sandman
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
^^That's what works for me too PP. Read a couple of lines on some posters and
you know what the rest says. Dan gets carried away at times with all his
cut and paste stuff, as we all do. But sometimes even his stuff is interesting.
boutons, well, if you could cut out the cuss words there wouldn't be much of his
post left. Although, at times he does speak in a coherent form, not often but
occasionally. I often wonder how he acts in person in a mixed crowd.

IMO, boutons presents his POV in a thought provoking way that would encourage dialogue if it were not intermingled with 1960's UC-Berkeley activist rants. Not that I agree with the majority of what he posts, but he can be rather astute in identifying the real issues.

Yonivore
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I often wonder how he acts in person in a mixed crowd.
I picture this guy:

http://www.cinefilevideo.com/images/content/deliverance_dvd.jpg
Squeal like a pig, city boy!

Bob Lanier
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I ignore "DirkAB" because of his truly obnoxious avatar.

DarkReign
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
boutons_ is one smart dude. As has been said, if he/she could seperate the hate from logic, could be real compelling stuff there.

As it stands, I enjoy reading his/her posts. Usually makes good points, other times just kinda gets lost in spit-fury and anger.

clambake
12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I like his rants. It's fun sifting through.

whottt
12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of the ignore feature.

I use it when someone clearly doesn't know what they are talking about(this means factually) and refuses to acknowledge or change their opinion once this has been proven and just keep on saying the same stupid thing when it has been factually disproven.

clambake is a good example of this. This guy is a dumbass with about as much knowledge as an anti-w bumpersticker.

boutons is on ignore with me because I don't find anything enlightening, informative, or entertaining about what he has to say...he's just obnoxious, but not obnoxious in a challenging way...obnoxious in a tedious way. Shrub repug, shrub repug. Fucking lame...if you enjoy that, by all means do so, but there's nothing enlightening or informed about him.

That pretty much sums up the people that are on my ignore...there is a third category, and these are people that are easily baited by trolls, usually newbies and just end up stupidly bumping lame troll threads and playing right into the hands of a baaaaaaaaaaad or obvious troll. I got about 3 posters on ignore thanks to the trollings of Lakergod and Wolves009.

I do click on a view post from time to time of my ignorees to see if I might have misjudged them or if their postings have changed for the better....I've never been wrong yet.

I think it's basically, if no type of enjoyment(including a good heated arguement or even flame war) or enlightenment can be gleaned from their posts...why read them?

I like ignore, I use it more and more. I find it does greatly increase my enjoyment of the forum.

clambake
12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I actually like whotttt. Just don't agree with him, because he hasn't ever been wrong.

clambake
12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
First encounters with whottt can be harsh. The more I read him, though, he appears to be a troubled kid. Everything he claims to want to experience has a morbid edge to it. I always wondered where that type of demeanor was spawned.

exstatic
12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I use ignore. Yoni is sometimes on and sometimes not, depending on if he's in full on "bot" mode, or actually discussing. I would put whottt on ignore, but when he's on my list and in "mod" mode, I can't add or remove anyone, so I pretty much just scroll past his shrill blatherings. I've met him once, and he's nothing like his posting persona. xray is more of a bot than Yoni. I also have a shit load of trolls from other teams on there.

clambake
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
So, whottt is just a shit starter? Doesn't really want to do what he claims?