PDA

View Full Version : Various Ponderings

Solid D
12-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Has a Spurs' player ever done a more effective job of defending Elton Brand than Fab Oberto did Friday night?

Has Tony Parker ever been so productive for an entire half without scoring than he was in the first half Friday?

Can we start calling Elson the "Flying Dutchman" now?

Did Manu Ginobili really dribble right handed toward the right baseline, and throw a pass with his right hand back over his left shoulder to the right corner? Is he made of rubber?

Did the Spurs' bench really outscore the Spurs' starters in the 1st half, 39-16?

Does Sequ still want to trade Manu Ginobili for 2 second round picks and a Columbia 300 Bowling bag?
http://www.columbia300.com/images/bags/th_hirolleri.jpg

That is all.

T Park
12-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Has a Spurs' player ever done a more effective job of defending Elton Brand than Fab Oberto did Friday night?

Elson didn't do half bad either when he took over.

polandprzem
12-09-2006, 02:04 AM
I think I could agree with that last one, about this Sequ guy

Solid D
12-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Did Jacque Vaughn really hit a catch and shoot 18 foot jumper from the wing?

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 02:09 AM

Yeah that was a funny.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2006, 02:10 AM
I really will never understand how there are NBA players who can't hit open 20 footers on a regular basis.

T Park
12-09-2006, 02:12 AM

Did he really give out 5 assists in the short time he was out there?

AlamoSpursFan
12-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Did the guy filling in for Paul Ihander on the radio broadcast (which was clear as a bell all the way up I-35 through Oklahoma...sometimes 'OAI rocks!) really expect us to believe that the score of the Toronto/Chicago game took 20 minutes to progress 3 points?

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Does Tony Parker really know how to throw a lob pass now?

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Does Tony Parker really know how to throw a lob pass now?

No, I think it was a fluke.

His alleyoops usually suck.

Solid D
12-09-2006, 02:20 AM
No, I think it was a fluke.

His alleyoops usually suck.

....or was it a teardrop that got away from him? :lol

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
I still get a shudder when I think about those botched lobs in last year's All-Star game.

slayermin
12-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Did I hear Mike Dunleavy threaten Ken Mauer after he changed an out of bounds call?

xamila rey
12-09-2006, 04:15 AM

Has Tony Parker ever been so productive for an entire half without scoring than he was in the first half Friday?

Did Manu Ginobili really dribble right handed toward the right baseline, and throw a pass with his right hand back over his left shoulder to the right corner? Is he made of rubber?

Did the Spurs' bench really outscore the Spurs' starters in the 1st half, 39-16?

Does Sequ still want to trade Manu Ginobili for 2 second round picks and a Columbia 300 Bowling bag?

That is all.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6691/74bdde5d167e403bbee4349oc3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shelshor
12-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Did Beno also do a surprisingly good job on Sam Cassell?

RonMexico
12-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Did the "Clippers for Championship" prognosticators (Bill Simmons) finally decide to shut up?

cheguevara
12-09-2006, 05:31 AM
that new ball sucks. period.

Summers
12-09-2006, 08:56 AM
The Flying Dutchman. :lol I like it.

boutons_
12-09-2006, 10:28 AM
In the last few games, the Spurs seem finally to enjoy playing basketball, and it's great fun to watch.

exstatic
12-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Does Chris Kaman REALLY think that stringy-ass, thinner than mine hair looks good? Of course, maybe if he cut his hair decently, we'd notice that face...:lmao

wildbill2u
12-09-2006, 11:19 AM
In the last few games, the Spurs seem finally to enjoy playing basketball, and it's great fun to watch.
No kidding! There are even more surprises in store when these guys get really comfortable playing together and if they keep moving the ball.

They can be a really really scary-dominant team :ihit

FromWayDowntown
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
In a continuation of my new feature -- the Hater plus/minus stat:

12/8 -- Spurs 111, Clippers 82

Tony Parker +32
Beno Udrih -3

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Did the Spurs really go to 8-0 when Frankie Elson gets 20+ minutes.

Did 60% Brent Barry really get more minutes then Bricks Finley? (Bandwidth wasters i realize Finley "broke out" on his 20th opportunity.)

leemajors
12-09-2006, 01:12 PM
beno's play has turned around since gino came back and is playing with the second unit more. his style of play is infectious.

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Did the Spurs really go to 8-0 when Frankie Elson gets 20+ minutes.

Did 60% Brent Barry really get more minutes then Bricks Finley? (Bandwidth wasters i realize Finley "broke out" on his 20th opportunity.)

Yeah that's what happens in blowouts. Bench players get a lot of minutes.

E20
12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Jeez, Duncan with 16 and 10............come on now.........

bdictjames
12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Anyone notice that Finley's more effective when starting and Manu's better off the bench? Tsktsktsk Pop's a genius for figuring this out.

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah that's what happens in blowouts. Bench players get a lot of minutes.

Yeah like in the 1st and 2nd qtr when both Barry and Elson got most of their insignifigant? minutes. Blowout.

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah like in the 1st and 2nd qtr when both Barry and Elson got most of their insignifigant? minutes. Blowout.

:lol I didn't say insignificant. You just always act like Elson getting 20 minutes+ a game in wins is because of his play, when moreso it's because he's a bench player. So when the starters sit the entire 4th quarter, he obviously gets a lot of minutes. (This game was a blowout in the 2nd quarter)

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 09:03 PM
:lol I didn't say insignificant. You just always act like Elson getting 20 minutes+ a game in wins is because of his play, when moreso it's because he's a bench player. So when the starters sit the entire 4th quarter, he obviously gets a lot of minutes. (This game was a blowout in the 2nd quarter)
You implied Barry Elson minutes were insignifigant and you know it.

Kori Ellis wrote: Yeah that's what happens in blowouts. Bench players get a lot of minutes.
24-18 with 2:20 left in the 1st qtr.
It was a "blowout" in the 2nd qtr in part thanks to BarrDogs 3 for 3 treys.
Also Barrdog and Elson had 14 of thier 24 minutes in the 1st half.
Enough to add to the blowout for sure.

Elsons 20+ minute games and 8-0 record are NOT games in which he simply comes in garbage minutes of a 2nd half of a blowout. Noooo.
TallBall D and openflow O works, period.

2005 Spurs Champs. Barry and Nazr 20+ min per game.
2007 Spurs Champs? Barry and Elson.
Book it Dano.

"Only Pop can Stop."

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 09:05 PM

Their big minutes in the second half were insignificant. But they were a big part of pushing the lead in the first half. I didn't say nor imply otherwise.

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Elsons 20+ minute games and 8-0 record are NOT games in which he simply comes in garbage minutes of a 2nd half of a blowout. Noooo.

Has he ever played 12+ minutes in a first half of a close game? It has already been established that up until the last 2 games (I believe) that his +/- was horrible. So whatever you think that he was doing for the team, it wasn't translating into net points because he was such a defensive liability.

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Has he ever played 12+ minutes in a first half of a close game? It has already been established that up until the last 2 games (I believe) that his +/- was horrible. So whatever you think that he was doing for the team, it wasn't translating into net points because he was such a defensive liability.

If we are now talking about close games won, who cares if he was in at the start, middle or end or combination thereof? In fact i would say being in at the end of a close game is a good thing, which Elson has been. Such as:
W 97-91 vs Dallas Mavs 26 mins.
W 92-84 vs Hou 27 minutes including :
""Robert and Francisco and Beno, off the bench, were the reasons we ended up with this victory," LordPopovich said.
Gregg Popovich benched Tony Parker along with Duncan and the rest of the starters after Houston built a 74-55 lead in the third quarter.

With the two All-Stars out, the Spurs mounted a 20-1 spurt, holding Houston without a field goal for eight minutes. -end quote.

I asked timvp for the site that has these +/- stats on Elson.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-09-2006, 09:59 PM

24-18 with 2:20 left in the 1st qtr.
It was a "blowout" in the 2nd qtr in part thanks to BarrDogs 3 for 3 treys.
Also Barrdog and Elson had 14 of thier 24 minutes in the 1st half.
Enough to add to the blowout for sure.

2005 Spurs Champs. Barry and Nazr 20+ min per game.
2007 Spurs Champs? Barry and Elson.
Book it Dano.

"Only Pop can Stop."

I can understand Findog but BARRDOG?

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I asked timvp for the site that has these +/- stats on Elson.

He told you, 82games.com

Like I've said all season, if Elson can eventually learn to rotate on defense, he'll play a solid role for the Spurs. But if his teammates don't trust him and get out of position to help him out, then that's when the Spurs start sucking when he's on the floor. The last couple games have been different. We have to wait and see whether he can continue to learn. His teammates/coaches will grow tired of constantly having to explain and re-explain to him what to do and where to be offensively/defensively, like they did with Nazr. Hopefully Elson is smarter than Nazr and catches on.

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I can understand Findog but BARRDOG?
It's a take off on the Findawg Nuttriders Club. :lol

Fabbs
12-09-2006, 11:13 PM
He told you, 82games.com

Like I've said all season, if Elson can eventually learn to rotate on defense, he'll play a solid role for the Spurs. But if his teammates don't trust him and get out of position to help him out, then that's when the Spurs start sucking when he's on the floor. The last couple games have been different. We have to wait and see whether he can continue to learn. His teammates/coaches will grow tired of constantly having to explain and re-explain to him what to do and where to be offensively/defensively, like they did with Nazr. Hopefully Elson is smarter than Nazr and catches on.

Q. Did Nazrs blowing assignments include the 2005 Playoffs?
I would think yes, as it was his 1st year as a Spur.
If so, why do we care if he blew some assignments, we titled. The good of '05Nazr far outweighed the bad.
Likewise in 2007, would we rather
a. win the title with a floor runnin paint patrolin Elson

b. 100% cutesy assignment conformism with SmallBall and get run in the 2nd round again?

c. Elson getting assignments correct and Spurs title.

I will choose c then a.

Now, as to that 2005 26 min a game Champion Barry......

Spurodamus
12-10-2006, 12:49 AM

I want to say Schintzus, but then I am channeling David Greenwood.

I'm feeling the '05 postseason.

Windmill. Maybe.

See '03. Finals.

Not surprising. You are staring Bruce and Obertsos after all.

That is all.

Sequ would trade Tim Duncan circa 1999 if he grew an inch taller, knowwhatimean?