PDA

View Full Version : Parker happy to find Elson above the rim in transition

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Spurs notebook: Parker happy to find Elson above the rim in transition

Web Posted: 12/09/2006 12:20 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120906.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.35cb9ea.html

His point guard was handing out assists like Phoenix's two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash, so Spurs center Francisco Elson figured the thing to do Friday at the AT&T Center was emulate Suns center Amare Stoudemire.
So when Tim Duncan rebounded a miss by Clippers point guard Shaun Livingston and fired an outlet pass to Tony Parker with 5:47 left in the second quarter of the Spurs' 111-82 victory, Elson sprinted down the center of the court, straight to the basket.

With the Clippers retreating, Parker flew down the left side, lobbed the ball above the rim, then smiled when Elson grabbed it with his right hand and dunked it, all in the same motion.

It was a play that bore a strong resemblance to a Nash-to-Stoudemire dunk connection. It was also the sort of play the Spurs had in mind when they signed the speedy Elson to a two-year, $6 million free-agent contract in August.

"I'm happy to have a guy who runs like that," said Parker. "That's great for me. It gives me somebody to run with. It's a little like Phoenix, with (Amare) Stoudemire.

"I'm not trying to compare Francisco with Stoudemire, but Francisco is so fast I always have somebody running with me in transition. It's great, and I'm always looking for him, and of course that means looking above the rim."

Elson believes he and Parker can become one of the best fast breaking tandems in the league.

"Tony and I have got to start doing it," he said. "He's so quick up the floor, and I don't think there's another big guy who can run up the floor with me, so it's an easy two points if I get down there."

Thanks go to shooting coach: The Spurs entered Friday's game having made 75 percent of their free throws, the league average.

That the Spurs were "average" from the line — even for a day — stunned even themselves.

"Chip (Engelland) needs a raise, huh?" coach Gregg Popovich said of the Spurs' shooting coach. "It's starting to look like it might not be a statistical burp. It might be for real."

If the Spurs, who shot 70 percent from the line last season, continue to improve, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said it could alter the way teams play late in games — especially if Tim Duncan becomes more consistent.

"In situations where you're willing to put people on the free-throw line, take fouls, play the percentages, it becomes a lot different," Dunleavy said.

Brand's familiar form: Clippers forward Elton Brand entered Friday having scored 31 and 33 points in his past two games.

The Clippers hope it's a sign Brand is reverting to All-Star form. Even with this week's 30-point performances, he entered Friday averaging 18.9 points, down from 24.7 last season.

Brand had shown some signs of fatigue earlier in the season after spending the summer playing for the U.S. national team.

"He's been more lively and more confident and not hesitant to shoot the basketball," Dunleavy said of Brand's play this week. "It just seems he's had a better balance to his game.

"We're doing the same thing we'd been doing. Earlier he was catching the ball and pump-faking people and not shooting and not being aggressive. In his defense, if you don't think you're going to make it, don't shoot it.

"He just seems confident again."

Please_dont_ban_me
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
I like!

milkyway21
12-09-2006, 03:07 AM
His point guard was handing out assists like Phoenix's two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash, so Spurs center Francisco Elson figured the thing to do Friday at the AT&T Center was emulate Suns center Amare Stoudemirei was :lol when i read this. COPYCATS!

Elson believes he and Parker can become one of the best fast breaking tandems in the league.

I didn't believe Elson can run that fast until i watched that game vs the Warriors. These two will be awesome running the floor. Question is, will it agree with Pops set play?

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2006, 03:10 AM
can a spurs fan who isn't privileged enough to watch every spurs game please get the latest word on elson's overall performance; im talking about more than just a couple sentences

T Park
12-09-2006, 03:15 AM
I don't think there's another big guy who can run up the floor with me, so it's an easy two points if I get down there

Cocky Mother Fer this Francisco Elson :lol

milkyway21
12-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Elson can pass* and run fast.

joeyjfive
12-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Did that lob pass touch the backboard before Elson caught it, just wondering?

MoSpur
12-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I thought his head was going to hit the backboard.

boutons_
12-09-2006, 10:25 AM
On both FO's fast-break dunks, he caught and dunked the ball so fast it was hard to see, and he kept on flying past the backboard rather the showboating on the rim.

FO is amazingly light on his feet and mobile, almost like 6-ft PG, esp compared to lead-footed plodders like Tim. He's still somewhat out of control and inefficient in where he moves himself to so easily, but he seems to be learning how to play basketball. Transplant Bruce's defensive commitment to FO, and we'll have monster big-stopper.

An he seems to have about the same vertical reach as Tim.

After 3 years of invisibility and ineffectiveness @DEN, he's turning into gold in SA.

btw, DHo' missed slam dunk last night vs Pistons that nearly bounced out to the arc. He ran back laughing.

alamo50
12-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Elson is gonna be our Malik in the playoffs.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-09-2006, 03:08 PM
After 3 years of invisibility and ineffectiveness @DEN, he's turning into gold in SA.

He definately wasn't invisible or ineffective in Denver. Karl loved him, the fans loved him and the players loved him. He did what was required of him in Denver, which was to come off the bench and bring some energy and agility. He filled a starting role many times and the Nuggets were something like 23-10 with him in the lineup.

Frankie has always been gold but its just that he has never been anything more than a role player and thus he never gets any spotlight.

As for his comment about them becoming the best fastbreaking combo in the nba :lol I guess somethings never die, he probably misses the fastbreaks like he did in Denver coz that suits his game :smokin

Dont get me wrong, TP is a good passer but he is no Dre when it comes to lob passes and alley oops :fro

SenorSpur
12-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I've noticed since the start of the season that Elson is usually running down the court free when the Spurs are in transition. I'm glad that TP, Beno, and Gino are looking for him. It's good to see his hard work and effort being rewarded with some easy transition baskets.

E20
12-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I remember Parker throwing an alley to Manu once. It was during the 03-04 campaign, against the Knicks. Hedo rolled it out to Parker and Tony just threw a lob to Manu for a slam.

boutons_
12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
"transition baskets"

It does wonders for your motivation to keep running fastbreaks when somebody bothers to pass you the ball.

VaSpursFan
12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
some players just need the right system to fulfill their potential. elson is the perfect fit for the spurs. his defense has picked up. he's not bad around the basket, he does need to improve there. he has a decent outside shot. he should continue to improve.

he's right, there isn't a big man in the league with his speed. he runs like a freaking gazelle and there were several times he beat his man up court and they missed him. i think some of the spurs were so used to the plodders that we had in the past that they don't think to look up court. but, frankie consistently beats his man up court. playing in that high altitude must have really helped him to develop some serious stamina.

Extra Stout
12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Elson is gonna be our Malik in the playoffs.
If he gets to play.

Dre>Parker
12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Who the hell is this Elson guy?.....You mean Eason, right?

Pathetic.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-09-2006, 09:48 PM
The 1st Nuggets troll.

Dre>Parker
12-10-2006, 12:03 AM
You really need to learn what words mean before using them.